Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Frontier: Problems & Solutions

2»

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,871
    I was into my Nissan dealer today to pick up my car from a regular service and wound up talking about the "paint issue" with the salesman who we have dealt with since 1979. He hasn't seen any "orange peel" paint finishes on the lower panels. Said that a couple of years ago that was something that Nissan was doing but that they weren't told much about it back then either. He did mention something about a kind ot tape that they will put on areas at risk for heavy chipping just behind the wheels, but that doesn't sound like what you're talking about. You meant all the way across the lower portion of the entire door panel, right?

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    My 95 pickup does not have any heavier paint applied along lower portions of doors. My 99 Mazda 626 however, has lower portions of doors and fenders treated with "gravelguard", which is assentially wax coating under the paint to protect these areas from paint chips and scratches. The gravelguarded areas have very distinct orange peel appearance and very definite transition line - the treated area is about 6 inches wide along the length of the car on both sides. Gravelguard is very good treatment for avoiding rust spots due to paint damage in vulnerable areas. I wish Nissan would start treating all of their vehicles with this stuff. It works great! Is this what you are talking about on your 03 Frontier? If so, you should not complain.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I know that circa '93 Sentras had the gravelguard applied along the lower portion of all four doors. It's tough stuff. I had chips but never any rust on mine.

Dusty
  • jaga1jaga1 Posts: 2
    Went to another dealer and received pretty much the same answer but this time I was told "Nissan add 'something' to the paint". I have a crew cab. The condition is a band approximately 1-1/2" to 2" high and runs the entire length of both door panels on the lower portion, midway between the break in the metal and the bottom of the door panel. It is NOT on the quarter panel.
    I have looked at various Nissan trucks and the intensity of this conditions is certainly not consistent. I don't know that is really a problem, I just don't like the run around and vague answers. When I contacted Nissan North America, they had no idea what I was talking about. If this is an actual intended condition, I would think they would/should know. Also, I have not seen any reference about this condition in any literature/stories/reviews.
    We have owned 8 Datsuns/Nissans starting with a 68 2000. Currently we have a 91 Stanza, a 2000 Xtera and the 2003 Frontier. This is the first time I have seen this on any of the vehicles.
  • HAVE A 03 NISSAN FRONTIER SC 4 WHEEL DRIVE CREW CAB.WHEN I GO UP HILLS WITH THE CRUISE AND THE GAS KICKS IN TO SPEED UP THE TRUCK. THE ENGINE REMAINS RUNNING AT 4000 RPM EVEN AFTER I GO OVER THE HILL AND BACK ON FLAT LAND.I TOOK I IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY SAID (THATS WHAT IT IS SURPOSE TO DO AND THE OWNERS MANUEL SAYS NOT TO USE THE CRUISE GOING UP HILLS) I CANNT BELIEVE THE TRUCK SURPOSE TO RUN THIS WAY.I HAVE BEEN DRIVING FOR 36 YEARS AND NEVER HAD A VEHICLE DO THIS. I CALL OTHER DEALER IN HILLY AREAS AND THEY NEVER HEARD OF IT AND NISSAN DOESNT WANT TO BOTHER WITH IT.AND JUST DOESNT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!!
2»
This discussion has been closed.