Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Greetings All,

I HAD this problem and went through all the same BS as all of you including the Lexus TSB (which Toyota would not apply). I had multiple visits with the Toyota Technical Field Rep as well.

Toyota's response was always the same, a slight rotation in the rear axle when coming to a firm stop and then a second slight reverse rotation causing the "clunk".

Mine is fixed. For other reasons, I ended up lifting the 4runner a bit via a suspension lift (Donahoe Racing). The new rear springs are a progressive spring with a rate approximately 15-20% greater than stock. The front was lifted to level by a new set of coilovers.

No more clunk whatsoever. My best conclusion was the increase in spring rate in the rear and the leveling of the vehicle (it doesn't slope down so much in front anymore) have eliminated the rotation of the rear axle. The increased spring rate in the front also eliminated a really annoying flutter at certain times on the highway. No new driveshafts, lubing slip yokes, etc.

New rear springs can be fabricated at increased spring rates for less than $100.00 per spring. Front leveling spacer kits can be had from Daystar for a song. Of course there is installation involved. Check with your local 4WD shop.

I can't guarantee this for you, but my clunk is COMPLETELY gone and I have a better handling vehicle.

Cheers..
    2006 T4R SR5 4wd
  • mike805mike805 Posts: 33
    Sounds like you reduced the angle between the transfer case and rear differential by raising the front. Did you have a problem aligning the front wheels or any other problems with the installation?
  • No, I had no problems with alignment. I had a 4 wheel drive shop in the Phoenix area do the installation and they use a shop for alignment after installs. Again, I had a NEW and DIFFERENT set of front coilovers installed which were adjustable in height and also increased spring rate. My stock coil/shock combination was very soft so I wanted the increased rate and go one size up on tires.

DAYSTAR makes a couple of different leveling kits for the 4runner. Here is a link to one website that shows the different options for the 4runner. Again, I went with the Donahoe Racing kit but the Daystar leveling kit might work well for a lot less money if you are O.K. with the front spring rate. (The 4runner looks great leveled out).

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/03up4runner.htm

I don't know for sure if the leveling of the vehicle or the different spring rate in rear, or both, solved the problem, but it is gone which tells me it has nothing to do with the driveshaft, slip yoke, etc.
  • tha1tha1 Posts: 7
    Do you guys know where I can get a the TSB for this??? I have brought my 4 Runner in 3 times and the mechanics can't seem to find the problem even when I told them that this might be what it is.

Thx for your help.

Tom
  • I just noticed that my '04 4 Runner is leaking oil or something right under the middle of the car. Help!!

-Dave
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    Who's changing the oil? 1) The oil plug has a gasket that should be changed every time the oil pan drain plug is removed. 2) Could the drain plug not be tightened --- I'd check this right away. 3) Do you have the V8, because I have the V6 and can see the oil filter and feel if it's tight, however I don't know where the V8 oil filter is located --- it could be loose, so can someone chime in on V8 oil filters??? Those are my best guesses. Good luck.

Last but not least, since you said oil or something, what color is the something? If it's red then it's tranny fluid.
  • how to access 2000 4 runner oil filter
  • noel3noel3 Posts: 4
    TSB!! I cannot get my local toyota or national to acknowledge the TSB - can u post yours - or how can i get a copy i have an 04 4 runner but the problem is similar.
    thansk -mnkraus@optonline.net
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    I haven't followed this thread, but maybe it would help if you just asked them to fix the rattle? Dealers are funny about people walking in wanting a TSB applied if they haven't diagnosed a problem.

See You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin. You can find a link to TSB summaries there btw.

If this an out-of-warranty issue, then maybe the Understanding After Warranty Assistance article will have some tips that'll help your case.
  • ace309ace309 Posts: 1
    I got a 92 4runner, 4cyl manual. Starts up great, recently parking brake light and battery light on dash stays on, it used to turn off after the truck started moving. And now after driving for about 5 mins, the battery drains, rear abs brake light come on(in dash) and when the truck is turned off, it wont start again cause the battery doesnt have enough juice, but after waiting a while and getting a boost, works fine again, but same thing happens.
    Im gessing the alternator is draining the battery cause i cleaned the terminals, checked the wires, all fine... if it is the alternator, are there any tutorials online that i can follow?
    thanks
    skyguy309@hotmail.com
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    if it is the alternator, are there any tutorials online that i can follow?

If it is the alternator your only practical alternative is to replace it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 296
    I have an 06 SR5 4X4 V6 and this same thing happened to me this morning. I started the vehicle and the Check Engine light stayed on, then about 5 seconds later the VSC TRAC, VSC OFF and the indicator that shows the traction system is active (a car with wavy lines behind) all came on, I restarted the vehicle but the lights stay on. I'm only at 16,700 miles so it's under warranty but wondering if you got yours resolved easily.
  • I have a 90 4runner V6 i was trying to give it a tune-up but the timing mark is advancing as i hold the timing light on it. It is moving slowly and constantly in a counter clockwise direction it will move out of site then slowly appear again from the other side and repeat. It is almost like the pulley is slipping on the crank but the bolt is tight and the engine is running fine. Has anyone got any ideas?
  • I'm having the same issue with my '99 4Runner. First thought is alternator, but not sure either. Brake light comes on when I first start the car and eventually blinks out. Let me know what you find. I plan to test my alternator this weekend.
  • Hello, I am new to this forum and recently purchased a 2000 4runner limited 4x4. The 4runner only has 81K miles on it and is in great shape. I have had it for about a month and noticed a squeaking sound this morning. It sounds like it could just be a simple belt because it goes away when I hit the gas. I didnt know if it would be the timing belt since I havent hit 90K yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Rob
  • Sorry for the late reply.............

You'll need to make a jumper wire and connect it between E1 and TE1 or (T) in the check engine connector.
    This is located next to the fuse box in the engine compartment.
    After it's "jumped", you'll be able to check your timing.

Hope this helped!
  • I guessing that your alternator is fine....check the parking brake lever/pedal. Move it around when you see the brake light on.
    If it goes out, you've found the problem...the parking brake switch.
  • Rob, take a bottle of soapy water and spray the belt when it's making noise. If the noise goes away, the belt is the culprit.
    If not, remove the belt and spin the different components; alt., idler pulley's, etc. and see which one is squeaking.
  • I did that before I started but thanks for the input.
  • First of all I have a 2000 4Runner 3.4lt engine v6.

Secondly, everytime I go to refuel, the gas pump stops pumping short of 2-3 gallons. If I wanted to maximize my fuel tank capacity (for long trips), I would have to constantly squeeze the lever on the gas pump for at least 5 minutes (very annoying). I've used different gas stations and went as far as to checking the vent system of the gas hose and still nothing.

Finally, I'm getting real poor gas mileage. I've checked spark plugs, had the oil and air filter changed and tire pressure checked. I'm currently in the process of putting fuel cleaner in the tank.

By the way, a couple of months ago, on the way back for a trip. I was driving through the desert and stopped off at a gas station to get some drinks. After a few minutes have passed by, a couple of guys walked in and said that they saw a 4Runner spill alot of fluid. I didn't think anything of it, but later on while I was driving, I noticed that I was missing about a quarter tank of gas. I thought I would mention this fact because the poor fuel issue started right after this happened.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I can do to solve both problems?