Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 1990 V6 4runner and on random occasions when the 4runner is warm and only when I press the brakes the idle jumps between 500 and 1500 rpm like im reving the engine. I was wondering if anyone knew the cause of this doesn't effect the running its just really annoying.
  • pjc1pjc1 Posts: 72
    Quick question...

I have a 2010 4runner limited and brought into the dealer for an oil change at 5k miles as instructed in the owners manual. Service told me this truck has synthetic oil and should not be changed until 10K. I am somewhat concerned that I am not following the owners manual.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    I am also an owner of the 2010 4Runner Limited with NAV and I have done extensive research about the oil change subject. Yes, the owners manual does say every 5000 miles to change the oil, but I believe (not sure though) around February or later Toyota will distribute to the owners of the 2010 4Runner that was purchased in 2009 the change that will state the oil change to be done at every 10000 miles since it is a fully synthetic oil 0W-20. My suggestion is for the first oil change to be done at 5000 miles and thereafter at 10000 miles interval (i.e. 2nd oil change at 15k miles, 3rd oil change at 25k miles, etc.)

Below is a list of qualified Toyota vehicles for the 10k miles oil change interval:
    The notification, dated December 15, 2009.

The included vehicles are:
    2010 Toyota Camry (4 cylinder)
    2010 Toyota Prius
    2010 Toyota Tundra (small V8)
    2010 Toyota Sequoia (small V8)
    2010 Toyota FJ Crusier
    2010 Toyota 4Runner (6 cylinder)
    2010 Scion xD

For detailed info see also:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/- - 73815-some-2010-toyota-vehicle-oil-change-intervals-officially-revised-10000-mil- - es-1-year-verified.html#post1026148

http://priuschat.com/news/toyota-upping-oil-change-interval-10000-miles-2010-pri- - us-other-toyota-models
  • I bought a 2002 Toyota 4runner SR5 a few months ago and yesterday afternoon it started sputtering under load at low rpm's. It's been snowing and raining a few days now and I thought it might be a fuel issue or a electrical issue. Thoughts on problem solving to determine the issue? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Dan
  • drex1drex1 Posts: 41
    The solution - New Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. Replaced it and have not had a check engine light (or P0171 Code) or any problems since.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    Did you find out the issue or the dealership? What was the total cost in parts and labor?
  • I'm haveing the same problem in my 4runner. You have a leak somewhere in the vacume line. My suggestion is to listen for a suck or a hiss. Then replace the hose where you heard the sound. If you can't find a sound, then ONE BY ONE (can't emphasize this enough) check each hose for cracking, tears or splits.
  • I'm sporting a 90 4Runner with a 3VZ-E V6 and a manual tranny. Every time I try to lock in to 4WD the front diff dose not. I have checked all electrical connections the seem to be functioning properly. So then I checked the gear box for low fluid. Still full. I'm trying to see if there is a vacume leak. Thus far there seems to be nothing out of the ordinary. I'm starting to run out of ideas for simple solutions and just might be looking into more complicated and more expensive ones. If any one has any tips before hand let me know.
    One thing I have been thinking of is removing the ADD system and repalceing it with mannual "lock-ins".
  • yes mine and many other 2004 4 runner has this issue. toyota put me off until my warranty ran out.. i opened a case a year into owning the truck and was told over and over by the dealer that it was normal for abs, until two days ago when another dealer informed me that it has aq bad master cylinder and wanted 3000 to repair it.. i think we need to unite everyone and get a file opened for a recall on this issue.. chefkelly99@gmail.com
  • i filed with toyota a case a year into owning while under warranty as i was being told that my mushy brakes close to the floor were normal for abs.. i knew it was not true and i opened a case.. they sent me to the dealer again via toyota corporate and lied to me again stating it was normal.. after coming out of warranty and a year later of coping i had another dealer in another state look at it as they said it was a bleeding issue.. not true, it was determined by this dealer that i need a new master cylinder.. we need to unite all 04 owners with this issue and file a case to get this issue repaired as 3k is not acceptable after years of complaining and safety compromise.. i am in disbelief that after years and years of owning every generation of 4runner that toyota elected to lie about this issue to many people..i have blogged with a dozen or more so far with the exact issue.. chefkelly99@gmail.com
  • toyota lied to me under warranty three times and said it was normal for abs and now i am being informed by another dealer that i have a bad master cylinder and my car is now out of warranty....at 3k to replace...any ideas? chefkelly99@gmail.com
  • not alone.. my brakes on the 04 have been to the floor since i purchased the truck.. toyota lied to me until it was out of warranty stating they never had any other complints and that it was normal for abs.. i have been hearing this issue over and over.. i opened a case and they kept putting me off..now i am being told i need a new master cylinder at 3k to do the repair..also the ac dual zones will blow hot on the driver //actuator issues are also in large numbers...i think we should all unite..chefkelly99@gmail.com
  • rdv3773rdv3773 Posts: 1
    Tom, I have a 2008 4-Runner with the V8. When it sits for a week or more, on start up I get the most horrible banging knock for the first minute. It sounds to me like a defective lifter that is collapsing after sitting under spring pressure. It takes about a minute to pump up, then everything is fine.

It does not do it again until it has sat for a week or so. I have less than 20K miles on it. Sometimes it does not do it (probably when that lifter is not trying to open). My problem is that I spent $600 on the dealer manuals and the engine does not seem to have hydraulic lifters! Of course it is fine when I take it to the dealer.

Maybe we have the same problem... but, I am not sure what it is.
    Bob
  • yaroshyarosh Posts: 14
    just has "oil gasket" blow driving away from my 60,000 mile checkup ($700). brakes went, steering went, stopped dead on highway, almost got killed. gave them perfect car, got back dangerous vehiicle. dealership always super-reliable. thought overworked mechanic forgot to tighten oil filter or something. they said it was defective. i have done all maintenance, always in love with car, now wonder: what's the point of genuine toyota parts if they're going to be crap too? i read about people wanting to get 300,000 miles from a car. my previous experience with a ford ltd was as soon as i used aftermarket parts it was all over. now, is dishonest toyota "value engineering" defective parts to save money? if so, i was get rid of the car in a heartbeat and buy a german truck. anybody have any thoughts? anybody a dealer? thanks.
  • Take a look at Nissan!
  • 4runmann4runmann Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I suspect that I overpaid for dealer service on my 2000 Toyota 4Runner here on Long Island, NY.

I had a driveability issue. Occurring months apart, the vehicle stalled twice while driving. The second time I figured I would have the vehicle inspected. My local Toyota service center had shut down last year, so I went to the closest one.

The service rep reported that I needed the following;
    Replace Mass Air flow sensor: $468.98 (276.00 labor; 192.98 parts)
    With the above, they said the following was mandatory:
    Throttle Body serice - $186.99 (125.00 labor; 61.99 parts)
    Finally, they said my ignition wires were not Toyota. That was strange to hear.
    They replaced the wires for $184.37. (105.95 labor; 78.42 parts)

Total bill: $840.34 plus tax.

I gave them the go-ahead and the car was ready for pickup within two hours or less. Reading the bill in detail afterward, that two hour window of labor ran: $506.95. That sounded like a lot, considering that all the work might have been done by one technician. Parts pricing is suspicious, as well. And maybe the throttle body service stated as mandatory might not have been.
  • When I am driving and turn even slightly the steering wheel column squeaks? any ideas on what this could be, lubrication?

Thanks
  • fleckfleck Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 4Runner and lately the drivers side rear wheel has been locking up due to the fact that the park brake actuator continues to tighten the pads against the drum. Obvioulsy it is supposed to adjust the tension everytime the park brake is activated but the problem is that it continues to do so until the wheel siezes. Is something wore out or do I need to replace something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brad
  • japfanjapfan Posts: 4
    I own a 1998 toyota 4runner SR5. The dashboard lights go on and off intermittently. If I tap on the dash where the lights are located, such as the area where the heater controls are located, the lights will sometimes come back on. I was just wondering if anyone else has this annoying problem and what might be causing this. It looks like a pain to tear the dash apart to fix this if I have to replace the bulbs.
  • japfanjapfan Posts: 4
    Can someone please tell me what the goofy spoiler looking thing does on the back of my 4runner? What will happen if I remove it? I am always looking for ways to get better gas mileage out of this pig. I am getting about 16 mpg highway now, which I guess is about normal for a 98 4runner with the V6 auto.It does have 204000 mi. on it so I guess I should be happy it is running! Thanks for any help.