Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Wondering if anyone out there with a 03 Sport edition V6 is experiencing any noise when accelerating. My 03 sounds nice and smooth when in neutral, but put it in drive and accelerate moderately to hard and it sounds like the engine has a tapping sound similar to a valve tap. It just sound horrible if you a driving next to a guard rail, or a building, or a concrete barrier. Dealer tells me that this is not abnormal, but I have trouble believing that Toyota would be selling a vehicle that sounds like this.
  • If it makes you feel any better I too have the wind noise that you are complaining about. I've posted this before to same criticism you've experienced.
  • evgevg Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport. When I start the truck I hear a noise behind the passenger side dashboard. It sounds like a weak power antenna for about three seconds followed by a light pop. It's not constant but every few minutes. The first Toyota service department where I purchased it says it's the VSC control and the second one says it's the brake sensor and that it's normal noise. The manual says I should here it when I start the truck for a few seconds but my problem is it's happening about every other time I'm braking and the noise drives me crazy. It's hard to believe that an annoying constant noise is considered "normal". Does anyone else have this noise and what did you do for it. Please advise.
  • I have had the same experience with a loose drivers seat as reported by akansasdon. The dealer is replacing the entire seat. I hope to pick up my 2003 4runner today.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    I also have the V6 with a 'tapping' engine noise. I have heard it is related to a valve cover that is very thin. Others have said it is normal on the aluminum engine. My dealer also says it is normal for the V6. In my case, I don't really hear it unless the window is open and I drive next to something that reflects the noise. But it is a pretty crummy sound for a new engine.
  • smf42smf42 Posts: 6
    Is the engine noise that you are talking about a high pitched squeaking noise like brakes squeaking? I get this noise when going up a hill from a stopped position. I have an '04 SR5 4X4 V6.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Posts: 410
    The high pitched noise you hear could be a belt noise, although I don't know why you would only hear it going uphill. My serpentine belt sometimes makes noise when cold. There is a TSB out for dealers to fix the drive belt noise.
  • Hallelujah! I knew I couldn't be the only one out here noticing all that wind noise. All that racket makes it really hard to enjoy the rest of the vehicle. I can only advise, buyer beware. If anyone is test driving one of these vehicles, make sure you take it on the freeway. I've been driving my new 4 Runner for a month now and the wind noise is a serious drawback. It's terrible.
  • alfster1alfster1 Posts: 273
    Have you tried adjusting the positions of the roof rack supports if your 4Runner is so equipped?
  • Yes, I did, and I thought it helped, but I might try moving them back even further. There does seem to be a lot of noise outside the moonroof (yes, it's closed!) Most of the noise seems to be in the area of the side mirrors. They are not very aerodynamic looking (actually, the are huge) and the wind blowing by them just howls. This is with all the windows closed, mind you. That's why I am so surprised that everyone isn't noticing this. They all have the same mirrors, at least the 2004 models do. Maybe the 2003's are different.
    I am surprised as well. The 2003 and 2004 4Runners have identical mirrors. They are indeed huge, but they do provide a good view of the rear areas. I don't notice bothersome wind noise unless I am driving faster than 65mph or so (which isn't usual). The next time I drive, I'll be on the lookout for any windnoise.

Another option you have with regards to your roof cargo bars is to remove them and see if you notice any improvement. Perhaps even installing a plastic wind deflector over the moonroof may be helpful.
  • smf42smf42 Posts: 6
    I have a '04 SR5 4X4 V6 with the standard stereo and speakers. It seems that the driver's side front door speakers have a lower volume output than the rest of the speakers. Is this a treble and bass thing (bass on driver's side and treble on passenger's side)? or a bad speaker?
    thanks for any input.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    My 4Runner is an extremely quiet vehicle. I have no noticable wind noise. You must have much more than I do. You may try reversing the cross cross bars so the current front side faces the rear.

Sorry for the use of your name, incorrectly, alfster1
    You might have me confused with someone else....I don't have noticeable wind noise either. :)
  • I, too, would characterize the new 4Runners as remarkably quiet, at least up to the 65-70 MPH range. It's hard to say anything certain without measuring instruments, though. I get no significant wind noise from the mirrors, and remember hearing that they were specially designed to be both large (for good visibility) and as quiet as possible.

As for the noise from the roof racks, there are some dots on the rails that show you where to place the crossbars if you want to reduce noise and and are free to place them where you want. I believe the dots are on the inside surface of the rails. That's the case with the '03 models anyway. It's probably covered in the manual, but I'm not sure.

Is it possible that some excess noise is coming from a radiator fan clutch that isn't disengaging properly? These vehicles do roar for 10-15 seconds after a cold start, before the fluid gets redistributed in the clutch. You can hear a definite drop-off in noise level then.
  • Do those of you who don't notice wind noise -- do you have a sun roof? I can't figure out why my car is noisy and others are not....?
  • I have a 2004 V6 Sport Edition. For some time now there has been a ticking noise coming from the driver's side of the vehicle. It sounds like a fan, but is not because it continues when the fan is turned off. I brought it to Toyota and they are telling me that it is the fuel injectors, and that they are all loud and there is nothing that they can do about it. I like many others find this weird that the company would sell a car that makes abnormal noises. I have had the car to the dealer for another problem of the windshield washers not working even when it is not cold out. They again failed to fix the problem and said that nothing was wrong. Toyota Service is awful and very unaccomodating. Please let me know if anyone else has the problems with the ticking noise or the windshield washers.
  • What vehicle were you driving prior to this one? Could you just not be used to a larger vehicle with big mirrors and such? Also, do you have a wind deflector for your sunroof?
  • Ticking Noise Coming from Driver's Area

That is indeed indicative of the new V6. A member on another board had Toyota Corp. buy back their V6 (vehicle) because of the noise. Some V6 owners complain of this noise, others say they do not have the noise. So, it seems very intermittent.

Sorry to provide you info you were not seeking.
    I do have a sunroof, but no wind noise. I have positioned my roof rack bars to just aft of the moon roof and to near the extreme rear of the roof rack. Try experimenting. I chose this positioning as it made clearing snow from the roof a bit easier.