Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    Why not get a second opinion, perhaps from a local Toyota service dept. or ask around for recommendations on a good mechanic that works on Toyotas. I'm not sure I would buy that diagnosis based on only "hearing a ticking sound" or the $3000 total for a manual transmission fix. Sounds fishy to me.
  • lccbrookslccbrooks Posts: 7
    Has anyone noticed the headliner (I believe that is what it is called) scratches easily? Can it be replaced.
  • lccbrookslccbrooks Posts: 7
    Thank you so much for explaining the transmission problem I also was having. I took my 2004 sr5 in and the service guy told me that the vehicle will eventually adjust to my driving. I thought his response was a bunch of... However, I bought my 4 runner in February, I don't notice it too much anymore.
  • 4rnr4rnr Posts: 25
    Just found out that Toyota has released a TSB for the 2UZ-FE engine(V8 powered 4 Runner). The repair procedure is identical to the V6. The TSB # is EG020-04.
  • trc86trc86 Posts: 2
    Thanks, I did get a second opinion from a Toyota dealer mechanic and he felt confident that it was not the transmission. Possibly some gasket issues in the gear shift down the line but nothing major (I can live w/that).....Whew...feel much better. Thanks!
  • biglatkabiglatka Posts: 78
    You're quite welcome, I'm glad it worked out for you. Your 4Runner is only middle-aged, still plenty of miles to go on it.<grin>
  • 04,V8,Limited, 10 speaker 6 disc changer: Question 1 - when I turn up the base from 1 to 4 or 5 I notice very little difference. Is this normal or do I have a amp. problem? Question 2 - follow up to one of my prev. questions, but no responses. Do any of you have creaking in the dash when you accelerate or break?
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    You should definitely hear more bass as you crank it up to 4 or 5. I have no creaking in the dash for my 6 CD player located there.
      I have an 03 Sport with 10 speaker JBL. I have adjusted mine to 4 Bass 4 treble, 3 mid and 4 fade to rear with surround on. I would rate the system as a 8 on a scale with all I've owned in other vehicles. My Nissan 240SX was a 10, my Honda Odyssey EX was a 2. My DC Grand Caravan with Infinity 10 speaker system was a 7 for example
  • 69mach169mach1 Posts: 60
    I too have the JBL sytem. I would rate it a 4 to 5 out of a possible 10. The bass is set at 4, the midrange at 3, the treble at 2, the fade at 6 rear and the surround is on. There is very little stereo effect, it seems that most of the sound comes from the front center speaker.

I've complained to the dealer on three different occasions about the system; on the third visit I compalined of a hissing sound coming from the system when cold and they replaced the amplifier. The system seemed better, but not by a whole lot.

It's hard pill to swallow that Toyota would charge so much money for this system, I may just replace it with an after market system.

Check your front defroster ducts for the creaking or rattling sound, mine were loose and the dealer fixed this problem.

Other than the JBL, the vehicle seems well made and performs well. I would recommend it anyone, but without the JBL.
  • glb2glb2 Posts: 14
    Actually, its called a moonroof. Mine will not close properly. It only closes about an inch
    then reopens. The only way it will close is when
    I reach about 55mph and it retracts from wind
    resistance. Then I can close it. I've done this
    three times. It also doesn't sound as smooth when
    opening. Anyone experienced this?? THANKS
  • my2centsmy2cents Posts: 20
    FYI...for anyone with a 2003 or 2004 4Runner, you have a choice whether to get DRL's (daytime running lights)on your vehicle or get rid of unwanted DRL's even after you have the car sitting in your garage. Modification cost is about $40 (new signal flasher and bulbs). Takes about 30 min. to an hour in time and is quite easy. Basically it involves only changing your turn signal relay and bulbs. Relay is mounted and plugs in on the back side of your fuse block on the lower left hand side of the dash. If you don't have DRL's and want them you get the DRL type relay and replace the existing one with the new one, or if you have DRL's and don't like them get the non DRL relay and make the same change. If anyone is interested I'll outline the procedure in another posting.
  • gcmellogcmello Posts: 17
    I'm interested in converting my 2003 V-8 Sport Edition to DRL. Please elaborate on your description of the modification--DRL relay part number, etc. Thanks.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    I have them on my 03 V-8 Sport. I thought they came with them as I wasn't charged for them. The DRL use the front turn signals at a reduced output. It makes much more sense than using the headlights at reduced output.
      I have come up on too many drivers with headlight DRL's and no rear lights at night.
  • my2centsmy2cents Posts: 20
    Not all of the Runners come with DRL's. For the most part they are either added as an option which is typical for a specific marketing area, or are added to all vehicles as in Canada. Here in the midwest (Chicago area), you almost never see a 4runner with them or can you even find one with them. It's all in the marketing. Anyway here's what's gotta be done to get them.
    Parts include: (1) #81980-35020 Flashers Relay and (2) new turn signal bulbs #4157NAK (refer to your manual). The new flasher relay replaces the old one which is part #81980-50030. You can get the relays at your dealer for about $41.00 or go online with someone like partznet.com which sells them delivered for around $36.00. Just replace the existing bulbs and relay with the new ones. To do that you must take the lower left hand dash panel off which has 2 screws on it and snaps off. Next remove metal shield behind the lower steering panel. Then unplug the fuses and relays that have wires attached to them since this helps you freely move the fuse junction box. Now unscrew the fuse/junctionbox which has 3 screws. Then turn the junction box towards you and you will see a biege relay about 1.5" wide. That's the non DRL relay. Slide it out (can be alittle tricky). Connect the new, bigger (2.5"), Black, DRL relay into the same clip the NON-DRL relay was on. Plug the connector into the relay without using the existing wire harness adapter (the NON-DRL relay is smaller then the DRL relay and you will see the the lighting wires connect to a small wire harness. The wire harness connects to the NON-DRL relay. You must remove the relay and the small harness which you WILL NOT need for the new relay). Reverse the previous procedures to access the relay and your done.
  • lukeglukeg Posts: 32
    I have 04 4runner v8 Sport. Today Toyota dealership fixed the smell problem. They have changed the catalyst and reprogramed the computer. The smell is gone. I don't drive with rear window down, but smell still was entereing the cabin from time to time. Also I am tired of hearing on the street on the red light that my truck stinks like $***. No more bad stink and I can drive with side windows open. Schedule this repair. It takes few days to get parts in.
    I still have problem with:
    - sit being loose
    - vibration with RPM between 1800-2000
    - vibrating breaks.
  • 1) As per my previous questions regarding creaking sounds (see posts) I thought they were in the dash, but appears the creaking is my seat. When I apply the break their is a slight movement of my body which causes the seat to creak, not all the time. I have noticed some previous posts regarding "loose" seat. Is anyone else having this problem? When you rock back and forth in the seat you will notice the creaking. If so, has anyone been able to get this fixed?

2) Please explain the different dynamics with respect to surround on and surround off.
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Posts: 31
    Let me ask you, I have a 03 4runner v6 limited after the procedure was done to my truck I notice my truck in gear drive idle at about 500-600 rpm is this normal on yours or others? Reason why I am asking is because now my engine feels like it's about to cut off and trembles a little. Took it back to the dealer and he tells me that they always idle at that rpm, but I never felt the engine tremble like that. Does anyone know what is the normal rpm for a 03 4runner in drive gear with foot on the brakes standing still. I thought it was around 650-800 rpm and 750-900 in park mode. Anyone technical person(S) can help me.
  • lukeglukeg Posts: 32
    I am not a mechanic, but never owned a car that idled in 500-600 range. My 4runner idles at 700-800 range. I would take it to a different dealer.
  • mac34mac34 Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2004 4Runner Limited 4x4 with XREAS Shocks. Had the car only a few days but just noticed a slight rattling sound near the left rear tire area when I sometimes hit rough road/bumps. Have checked all of the obvious such as loose items, but it sounds like the sound is coming from the shocks. Curious if anyone else has experienced this problem.
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Posts: 31
    700-800 rpm in park or in drive with your foot on the brakes sitting still. The dealer says it's normal, but I think since I got the computer (ECM) reset and the catalytic converter change it's idle borderline 500-600 It trembles a little at 500 rpm. Anyone else can tell me the same or is it different in their 4 gen 4runners.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Posts: 150
    Check to see if the jack is secured tightly in the rear compartment.
  • mac34mac34 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice on the jack. I checked, and it is secure. I beleieve I have found the problem, which appears to be in the back seat itself. When I fold the seat, and then put it back in place, the noise stops. However, it seems to happen again after hitting a few bumps. Sounds like a minor issue, but just curious if anyone has experienced this. Not sure if the dealer can do anything.
    I suggested the jack because I know people have had that loose and caused a rattle. Now that you say it is the rear seat I also am aware of some who have this problem also. Wrap a piece of electrical tape around the metal loop that the seat attaches to when it is in the up position. And also it may come from the cupholders in the rear seat and there is a TSB from Toyota on this problem so if it is the cupholders rattling then the dealer can fix that.
  • adolledadolled Posts: 6
    My 2001 sport has just started making a strange noise. I can hear it best from the right front passenger seat. It sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment. It sounds just like a camera zooming in or out. Or maybe an auto focus. That is the best way I can describe it. I thought is was the AC (still could be), but it does it when it is not on as well. Its fairly loud as I can still hear it with the radio on. Anyone know what this could be or have a similar problem?
  • bhamm31bhamm31 Posts: 3
    Has anyone had an issue with a pungent odor periodically coming through the vents. It almost smells like ammonia. Thanks
    I don't know what would cause a smell like that (other than a cat peeing under your hood :-) ) but if you have an'03 or newer t4r than I would change the cabin air filter located behind the glove box.
    Thanks...I should have said it's an '04 and I've only had it for about 4 months......not the cat but I know what you mean. The dealer already tried some nonsense about hand wipes or something in the glove box....give me a break. The smell is pretty potent and actually could make you gag if you inhaled enough. If it was a filter you would think it would be continuous.
    Just a guess but if you are using the air conditioner alot, it may be the moisture that condensates in the vents after you turn it off starting to smell bad after sitting for some time. Does the smell happen intermittantly or is it just sometimes after you start the truck?
    If the condensation smells that putrid there must be some awful gunk inside the ducts. It happens at no specific interval. You go for a couple days with nothing then yesterday we were out for 40 minutes and got hit 3 times. Each episode lasts about 30 seconds to a couple minutes. My wife said this morning it did it when she was on her way to work and it seems to be happening more frequently and longer. It almost seems to me as if something is leaking into the one of the ducts in the back of the engine compartment. We are bringing it back in to the dealer tomorrow. I don't have very high expectations but I'll let you know what happens.
  • Has anyone had any experience with the motor going out on the 04 4runner? I have only had mine for 3 months and its gone. The guy at the dealer did one of the "oh no, not another 04 4runner problem" which made my stomach sink. Toyota Corp just informed me that they are looking into problems and won't release any parts to fix it until they know exactly what is going on. It's been 5 weeks since Toyota told me what the problem is and nothing of a resolution is in sight. Can anyone out there direct me to get some action?