Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dom4dom4 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 4Runner, at 10,000miles both front "Sway bar Link pins" needed to be replaced. The dealer said that they have had problems with these parts. The symptoms were noise in the front end, slight instability on turns. The state inspection did not pick it up. I had to crawl under the vehicle and manually move each suspension part, from tie rods to the link pins. I immediately noticed that the right side was very loose and the left starting. I do no off road travel, and the vehicle is babied to the nth degree. The dealer replaced them easily under warranty. All 2004 owners check this out before the warranty runs out. No recalls yet from Toyota. Ford Explorer types had the same problem and recalled.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Posts: 133
    Now you have my interest. Can you describe the noise? When did the noise happen? What kind of "instability" did you experience. As I've said, I just hear a metallic clank when I hit an especially abrupt bump or pot hole. I only hear it when the windows are down, and never when they are up. I have not experienced any "instability," although I'm not exactly sure what that means. I'd be curious if you could provide some additional information.

Thanks in advance!
  • yeti351yeti351 Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had a problem with a small leak from the moonroof? I had brought in my 2003 4runner to my dealer and they advised me that the sunroof was designed to have drains to catch this leak. Should I be concerned??? since my warranty expires soon too. The rubber gasket surrounding the moonroof glass also appears to be "bubbling" up.... My dealer advised me that they would have to replace the entire sunroof assembly if I was to fix this...Any feedback appreciated...
  • I guess you should have kept it in the garage like me or at least oiled the rubber. After you leave it out in the sun, the rubber bubles up from the heat and sun damage; once it is to that point it is runined for life. I think your moonroof is toast now, you need to get a new one.
  • 4rrrunner4rrrunner Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info. I own a '95 4WD 4Runner and I imagine that it's the same headache (cuz it looks like it is). I shall attempt this on my own.

Thanks
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    I feel for you - vacuum leaks are SO hard to find. Rather than devices, check the vacuum hoses first, starting with the ones to the brake booster. I am assuming this is a 22R-E? The factory shop manual is very helpful for this type of problem - it has all the vacuum routings diagrammed. You need to meticulously check them all. In the end, I bet it is a hose rather than a vacuum control, but with the age of your Runner, it could be either. Good luck!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Please excuze my ignorance. If you have a sunroof on your 4R and you park outside (dont have a garage), then do you expect a leak in sunroof in three years.
    And to get a new rubber lining do you have to replace the whole sunroof unit?
  • Did you get an answer to your problem? I have a 2005 4runner and just purchased an 8 to 4 pin connector for the wiring harness for my trailer (trailer is brand new) but its not working....going to call toyota service when they open.....any suggestings?
  • I had this problem also, there "IS" a monitor on the spare, & this is usually what is causing this in cold weather....
  • rudegar3rudegar3 Posts: 1
    I wonder if it would be possible to order one without the spoiler. Every one I see in CA has it.
  • rjordanrjordan Posts: 30
    Hello,
    The lights on my power window switches are no longer working on my 2004 4runner limited. All dash lights are working after I turn on the headlamps. Is there a trick to get them back on? The lights are so small, that I think they are probally tied into another light circuit. Any ideas?
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I've got a 2003 4Runner. I park it outside. The rubber seal on mine seems just fine and does not leak.
  • I have a 95 toyota I LOVE THIS TRUCK. but .... when I press down on my clutch I have noticed a noisy almost a rumbling in the clutch . It sounds like a bearing or something possibly wearing out? anyone know of any good inexpensive ways to fix or test.? OR EVEN BETTER ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS???
    please help i love my yota but very expensive to have repaired . any help would be a God send. :-)
    When they get older, the return spring on the clutch pedal tends to get kind of squirrelly. Since it is a fairly heavy gauge spring, it can make a vibration and sound like a "rumble", are you sure that is not all it is? If it is that, sometimes a grease-type lubricant can eliminate the noise, if not the vibration.

How many miles since you last replaced the clutch?

If it is making more like a "ratchety" sound, that is likely the pilot bearing, in which case you may have to spring for a clutch replacement. However, if it is that, you can probably go on for some time and monitor it if it gets worse. So you can pick your timing.

Bottom line: this is hard to speculate on without hearing the noise in person.

• rainravenrainraven Posts: 2
    I have a 1989 4 Runner, with a rebuilt engine installed in 2003. Beginning early last winter I began getting horrible gas mileage (like 9 mpg). I had a tune up, oil change, etc... but it is getting worse. I was thinking it might be the fuel filter, any other thoughts? Thanks for the help!
  • jere39jere39 Posts: 20
    My 97 4Runner (140k miles) also developed a variety of noises from the clutch pedal, and with a little contortionist practice I was able to confirm they were all coming from the return spring. It appears in my case to be that various nylon bushings on several of the pivot points have deteriorated to the point of slipping out of position, or breaking and falling away totally. I tried a variety of lubricants to quiet this situation, and found varying success. Light weight lubs like WD-40 or even silicone worked, but not for long. Spray white lithium grease worked longer, but was harder to get to the right place and splattered more of the area. I finally found an aerosol of Valvolene lub that was somewhere between WD-40 and the White lithium. It had good penetration, worked itself around corners and into pivot points I couldn't directly spray into, but didn't splatter. I now get a couple months of quiet, relatively smooth clutch work out of an application. I once asked the dealer about it and they suggested they could fix it for about $300 worth of interior linkage assembly parts. I have a well stocked garage shelf of spray lubricants for just about any purpose and only about $20 invested. Don't give up on your linkage yet, I think you'll be able to solve your problem.
    Jere
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Posts: 130
    Oxygen sensor maybe? Not sure about 1989. I had a 1998 4runner and had to replace both oxygen sensors after getting 9 mpg.
  • If rubber seal around sun-roof gets brittle/worn, can we replace just the rubber seal, or do we have to replace entire sun-roof unit.
    Is there any maintenance we can do for the rubber seal to last longer.
    Thanks
    like jmtreetop said, probably an oxygen sensor. But have you checked to make sure the engine is actually warming up? It could be a classic case of a thermostat that is stuck open.

Make sure your temp gauge works, and that the needle is going up to the proper spot (midrange) when you drive the truck.

It wouldn't be a fuel filter, you would feel loss of power in a big way if the fuel filter were clogged. Are you having any other driveability problems?

• yeti351yeti351 Posts: 3
    Well, I brought in my 2003 4Runner and the problem was a small drip coming from between the rubber sunroof gasket and the roof. My Toyota dealer basically said that this is to be expected and that there are channels to collect the water. As long as the volume of water doesn't overflow out of the channels, there isn't a problem. Is this true? I gotta live with a slight leak?
  • gumby2gumby2 Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 4Runner (15,000mi). A couple of weeks ago, the moonroof got mechanically jammed in the open position with no way of closing it. The dealer said they don't know what the problem is, but they will have to replace the entire moonroof assembly. They also told me that there are no moonroof assemblies available anywhere in the US. The guy told me he thinks that Toyota may have recalled all the repair assemblies to a fix a flaw in the system. Toyota told the dealer it will be another 4 weeks before they can get me a new assembly. Anyone have any more information on this?
  • jtcanyonjtcanyon Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2004 V6 4Runner and noticed the ticking nose. I see your original note is about 8 months old now, any new information from your first comments back in October? I have an appointment with Toyota next week, but was hoping to learn a little bit about other owners experiences prior to dealing with the dealership.
  • rainravenrainraven Posts: 2
    Thanks for the hint about the oxygen sensor, I'll check it out. Don't think it is the thermostat, as the gauge registers in the mid range while driving.
  • I have a second appointment this Thursday to have my front end rattle checked out. I made a complaint to the Toyota Corp about the rattle and they started a case for me. I also found out from a friend of a friend who owns 03 4runner limited that there is a bulletin out on the front suspension of the 4runner, it is not a RECALL yet but if a lot of us make complaints they will have to recall it. I also found out that the SHIMES that they put on these trucks are garbage so it might be that rattling. I will kept you posted on what the dealer does for me. P.S. put in those complaints for 40k it shoud'nt have any problems!!
  • I get a sulfur smell that comes out a/c vents when accelerating on freeway at about 70+ mph. I have taken my 04 4RUNNER to the dealer twice. The first time they replaced the catalitic converter and recalibrateded the computer. The second time they recalibrated the computer again. They also said that if it happnes again there is nothing they can do. Is there anyone else with this problem out there????
    I have the same problem with the sulfur smell. There's a technical service bulletin on this problem called "Excessive Sulfur Dioxide Odor". It's available at TSB. It sounds like they performed this service on your 4Runner. They did the same for mine and although the smell is better, I would still consider it excessive. I only really notice it now when I have the back window down and I am accelerating hard. My understanding is that the smell has to do with the way gas is manufactured. The magnitude of problem will vary from state to state and from brand to brand due to difference in the cocktail of additives that are used. Try experimenting with different brands. Good Luck.
    Another related TSB on the sulfur problem.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Posts: 133
    I'm interested to hear what they find. Mine was in the shop over the weekend for an oil change. I asked them to check the front end and make sure everything was tight because I heard a metallic rattle. They "checked," said everything was fine, but that there were some stones up under the skid plate that they blew out for me which may have been causing the noise. I knew this was not it, and sure enough, it did nothing to stop the noise. I'll be interested to hear what, if anything, they say about yours.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    You may also be interested in this discussion: Sulfur from 2003 4Runner

tidester, host
  • koenigkoenig Posts: 1
    I have an 85 22rec, while driving the engine lost power and then shut off. while trouble shooting I found that I wasn't getting a spark out of the coil. I replaced the coil and still didn't get a spark so I replaced the Ignitor and nothing. I get about 12 volts on ether side of the coil. Any suggestion?
    Koenig