Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• doggydogdoggydog Posts: 10
    Thanks for helping out!
    When the truck reached 5000 miles (18th of July), I took it to Belle Tires and let them have the 5 tires rotated, that is, took the spare (new)out, let it join the 4 wheels, and took one tire out of the 4 tires that were being used and I brought it into my garage and since then, my truck does not have spare tire on it.

The light did not go off until exactly one month later (18th of Aug). And yes it is flashing, not steady.

BTW, what do yo mean by "PARK" near the spare? Put the spare on the ground and drive to park above it??

Do I have to put the spare tire back?

The tire pressure monitoring system is a Pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to me. Lots of people in other forums talked about it.

I really wish I could just switch the whole thing off. What will happen if I just take the sensors off?

THX!
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Posts: 104
    The tire pressure monitor is picking up the spare tire in your garage. If you don't drive to far before returning home the light probably will not come on. When you drove it on Aug. 18th did you drive for a longer period of time with out turning it off? Also how far from the truck is the spare tire in the garage? The best thing to do is put the tire back on the car. How far and long do you drive the truck in a normal day? If you usually drive a short distance each day that is why the light took so long to come on.
  • I got my 2005 Sport in Jan, 2005. I've had it into the dealer 3 times for this same thing....First time, they said it was most likely the gas cap wasn't on tight....Second time, they couldn't tell and just reset it.....Third time, they saw I had run the speaker wire for my hands-free cell phone under the dash....Said a Toyota Engineer was on site, who said that was the problem. I re-routed the wire, so it's no closer than 2 feet from the dash....The lights have come on again!

Looks like I'm going in for the fourth time....Last time I was in, they said something about replacing the charcoal canister....Sounds like they still think it has something to do with the gas sensor.....Anyone have similar problems?
  • doggydogdoggydog Posts: 10
    Put the spare back and the blinking light simly went away.

Thanks!
  • I got my car fixed over the weekend. Turned out that the injector was broken. They replaced it and now it runs perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Nick
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 383
    Your dealer is an idiot. Take it to another dealer. I also had this happen, but my trouble was identified and repaired. Several prior posts also mention this happening, but the fix varies. The alarm apparently is generic for several things that can go wrong. But you need to try another dealer.
  • I'm new to this forum. I 've got 2005 4Runner SR5 V8 and want to do the regular maintenance myself. One of the items in the list is to Lubricate the propeller shaft and re-troque prop shaft bolts.
    I think I've located these components but to be sure could anyone explain what is prop shaft spiders and slide yokes... what is double cardan joint?

Since I do not have the service manual yet a picture of an exploded view of these items would be much appreciated.

And how much torque toyota recommends on the prop shaft bolts?
  • Yes I did have experienced the samething you have. Toyota try to tell me by putting gas in the vehicle while the truck is on will cause the check engine light to come on. What finally solved my problem was they change the valve to the charcoal canister then the canister itself and that did the trick. Otherwise they were about to take out my gas tank all together. Let them change the canister and the canister valve with a heavy-duty valve because it seems that the fumes from the gas tank is effecting the gas tank sensor. Which may cause the check engine/vsc trac light to come on. If that don't work invoke the lemon law. ;)
  • sdl266sdl266 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have 2001 4runner, SR5 4WD. I recently was hit on the left rear bumper, the damage is minimal, but I would like to replace the bumper. I have priced some parts on line and was wondering if something like this could be replaced by a novice like me or should I just leave it to a bodyshop.

If this is something that could be done rather easily, what would be a good source for information on how to complete the repair.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

SDL
  • I am currently attempting to replace the starter myself in a 91 4WD, and I am having similar problems. I have yet to get the two bolts out that hold the starter in... one of the bolts is backed out all the way, and is hitting against the suspension. Perhaps if I jack the truck up by the body this will help? It does not appear as though I can even get to the electrical contacts until I get the starter out. The ground connection is a huge monstrosity that I am unfamiliar with- it almost looks like an oversized scotch connecter. I don't think I'll have to remove the wheel, but it might make it easier (especially if I have the truck up anyways).

You were right...the repair manual was shoddy at best on this one!
  • I have a 91, and the button does push in and out to turn the AC on and off. Maybe the button is stuck? Running the AC when you're trying to heat the car sounds like an awful battle...
  • pswezeypswezey Posts: 1
    I recently had these three lights come on at the same time, they are on the entire time I drive the vehicle. I don't know what this means, can anyone help? I recently changed the 2 front tires on my vehicle, could this be related?image
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Hi!
    I just bought an '05 Sport with the stock radio. (Single CD and casette.) Is it any "big deal" to replace this with an after market radio? Has any body done this yet? If so, what did you get? :confuse:
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!
  • Hey what's up cebuttn1, I'm having the same issue with my 1997 Toyota 4runner SR5. I've gotten it aligned and everything I thought it was the tie rods for the steering so I replaced them. After that the car was a bit more stable but when I hit an uneven road especially those type of roads where trucks have completely unleveled the roads my 4runner began swaying and I actually had to grab hold of the steering wheel to keep it stable. Have you resolved the issue? I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with the thing. Somebody told me, it might be the suspension or tires. Sounds like the steering stabilizer would have been a great cure for this problem. Keep me up to date and I'll do the same.. Thanks
  • I have a 94 4 runner and i want to put a suspension lift on it. I was planning on doing a 4' trailmaster lift w/ 33' tires and 15x8 weld racing moutian crusher wheels ....... would that look good or is there something that i should do differently.
  • I also have a 2005 Sport that does it as well,please keep me informed. As we type mine is in dealership for new moonroof. It wouldn't close after having it open one day. WARNING: From what I know this is common with 2005s. I missed a trip to Vegas because of it. I paid 35 K to avoid this type of B.S., instead of driving my new runner to Vegas I'm waiting for it to be fixed. In my opinion Toyota should make it up to us somehow.
  • I have a 2000 4Runner SR5 4WD. Recently, the power door lock switches on the front doors stopped working, but the key fob locking works perfectly. I think it is some sort of programming problem and not a mechanical switch problem because when I open the driver door, hold in the "door open" switch to make it think the door is really closed, then lock it with the fob and then try the power door lock switches, the door locks make the open and closing sound, but the locks stay closed. Any ideas? I was thinking about disconnecting the battery to try to clear the programming problem.
  • I had the same problem, but mine ended up breaking so I had to take the antena off. Take it to a dealer it cost $35 + to fix depending on if you need a new antena or not
  • It's been a week and the dealer still has not been able to get the part. (Moonroof) They rented me a new Chevy trailblazer (Giant piece of cheap plastic) I'm very pleased with the Dealership but I will never buy a Toyota again. In fact as soon it is fixed I'll sell it and continue to buy Nissan. I'm sure all involved in this forum would agree that when they spend 35 K on a new vehicle for whatever reason it SHOULD NOT BE SITTING IN THE SHOP (especially 2 wks) except for routine maintenance. If anyone out there has ph #s to higher ups in Toyota or advice I'd gladly appreciate it. I already have the 800-331-4331 #
    Is the part on backorder?
    If it is not, ask them when the part was ordered.
    How was the part shipped?
    Where is the distribution center where the part is located?
    Was it shipped FedX or UPS?
    If so, do they have a tracking number?
    If it was shipped by truck...what is the name of the carrier ?(i.e.trucking company)

The above questions will make them squirm......
  • jay25jay25 Posts: 10
    I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, spark plug wires and spark plugs. The culprit was one of the spark plugs. It had a crack at the tip. I did not even see it until my dad pointed it out the next day. He's got an eye for these things, worked on cars as a hobby but has been slowing down thru the years. Now, my truck is back to normal.
  • Used '05 4Runner. Default is for all doors to lock when put in reverse. Manual says can change by having key on, shift out of "Park," and hold upper part of power door switch for 5 seconds. Doesn't work. Stays in default mode. Anyone with same prob and cure? Thanks.
  • Hey chuck1 I've asked from Serv. Manager to his Supervisor and they can't give me a straight up answer. By the time they get the part and fix my creeking rear wheel the total time in shop will be over 2 weeks. Tues I'm contacting the owner of Dealership. :mad: :lemon:
  • I'm going into my second wk. for the same probe. They still can't give me a answer when they can get the part. I have a 2005 Sport (5Kmiles) What can we do to have Toyota compensate us for our down time? My previous SUV was a Pathfinder that has 250 K miles and still running strong,not once in the shop! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • yuenyuen Posts: 5
    I need to program a new key fob for my 2005 4runner. The key fob is model# HYQ12BBX,. I tried the instruction for HYQ12BAN, but it doesn't work. Any know how to program the 2005?
  • My 24-year old daughter bought her 'dream' car six weeks ago - a 1995 4Runner with 155k miles on it for $6,000. Unfortunately it spun a rod bearing last week and it looks like the only solution is to replace or rebuild the engine.

We're getting quotes of about $5,000 to rebuild the engine or install a remanufactured engine, or it looks like we can sell the car 'as-is' for about $1,000-$1,500. My daughter really can't afford such a loss.

Does anyone have an idea of how to either get it fixed more cheaply or get more for it as-is?

Thanks,
    Bob Kendall
    Tough shape to be in. Does she have any credit at all? If she drives a small amount of miles can she lease. I would not spend $5,000.00 on it.
  • Well, she has credit with Bank-of-Dad ... but that bank is hoping to recover more than $1,000 :-)
  • my 2000 toyota 4 runner always shows check engine need some help
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Type "check engine light" (without the quotes) into the "Search this discussion" field to the right near the top of this page to read what others have had to say about it.

tidester, host