Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sdemonsdemon Posts: 2
    Hello Kingcomedic,

I have the same problem with my 99 4runner limited.... I've been told by the dealership that I have a faulty ECU, to the tune of $400 to replace. Did you find out what your problem was related to? Corrective action?

Thanks,
    Sdemon..
  • sdemonsdemon Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 99 4runner...pwr locks will unlock, but will not will not lock with remote, nor switch on either front door. Did replacing this fuse / junction box correct your problem? I've been told by the Toyota dealership that I need a new ECU to the tune of $400. I had the acuator replaced in the front door about 8 months ago already!!!!
    Any feedback on this issue would be appreciated....
  • c2rosac2rosa Posts: 76
    Front suspension problems could hinder steering and cause crash.
    Models:
    774,856 vehicles including 01-02 4Runner, 01-04 Tacoma, and 02-04 Sequoia and Tundra. Hazard exists because front suspension lower ball joint could wear excessively and become loose, resulting in increased steering effort. If the lower ball joint separates completely, driver could lose steering ability.
  • mbizzlembizzle Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 4runner sr5 and today when i started up the trac off, vsc, and check engine lights came on all at the same time. yesterday the lights were off like normal and i am pretty concerned. has anyone had this problem before, and if you have what should i do?
  • rbarry01rbarry01 Posts: 2
    I HAVE A DRIVE LINE VIBRATION BETWEEN 45 MPH AND 55MPH.AT DEALER ONE TECH SAYS THEY ALL DO IT OTHER TECH SAYS HE CAN NOT FIND IT. CUSTOMER SERVICE REP AT DEALER SAYS THEY ARE WORKING ON A FIX,BUT HAVE NOT SOLVED IT YET???
  • Did you ever get anything done to the Transmission. I have the same problem. The thud usally occurs when just coming to a complete stop.

It even happens after a complete stop. Feels like someone rear ended you.

Do any others have this problem? Your explanation sounds good, especially coming from a Dealer.

The Dealer told me they all do this. To prove it, he let me have a 03 4Runner Demo. It did nothing. It actually drove smoother than my 04.

Still not satisfied
  • jotoyjotoy Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an 88 4-Runner for the deer lease. It had a bad oil leak which I had repaired at a large cost. Now I'm having problems with the electrical system. I have a new battery, and the Altenator has been checked both on and off the vehicle and is said to be good. When I turn on anything, wipers,headlights,blinkers, fan, cig lighter it tries to die and will not run properly. It's in an elecrical shop right now and they are saying they can not find the problem. Any ideas? I need help. I am already above my budget on this one.. Thanks Joe
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I would think that would have to be a short somewhere, which is a notoriously difficult problem to track down at the best of times. Is the battery ever dead when you didn't expect it to be?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• It means the computer has registered a fault code. Did you recently get gas? I had that happen on my 2001 SR5. It could be something as simple as the gas cap was not tight enough and the emissions system registered a gas vapor leak. Have someone check the fault code and go from there.
  • jdp2jdp2 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 4Runner as well. Right brake and turn signal are out. Hmmm?

I didn't disassemble the connector under the bumper. Couldn't get a socket on the hex head screws. But I did expose the wires. It has four wires. I'm not getting volts to the green wire. Otherwise it behaves as one would expect a flat pack four to behave.

I believe that converter is further up the wiring harness. I got burned for the $195 the last time this happened. Not only that, he told me that they were really sensitive and could blow very easily. But I had a brand new boat to tow so I shelled out the bucks. Worked for three years. I'm guessing I got water in the light and it shorted blowing the converter.

So I too am looking for a better solution.

Let me know if you got it fixed and how.

Thanks
  • cttoycttoy Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me if they have had a problem with the gas gauge not working properly. Most of the time when I start the car the gauge remains on E and the light stays on even with a full tank. Usually within 10 miles it shows the correct gas level. Sometimes this problem does not happen at all. Toyota wants $93 just to look. Can anyone help? Thanks!
  • does anyone have the instructions for programming the key fob?
  • I have a key fob that needs to be programmed. It is shaped like a boomerang and has 3 buttons (red, black, and green) with a remote engine start feature. I am looking for the instructions for programming but I'm not sure if it will work anyway.
  • also, how do you tell whether your problem is the remote or the receiver? if it is the receiver what can be done?
  • I drove my 4 runner this weekend approx 125 mile of highway driving first the tranny appeared wobbbly it came out of gear. the vehicle sat for the next 2 days today it was hauled to a tranny dealer he checked it out and found no problems he drove the vehicle approx 15 km about 1.5 hours of highway driving later it started to loose power in all 5 gears I pulled over the vehicle rested for 5 minutes . I drove away 10 minutes later I encountered the same thing rested the vehicle for a couple of minutes same thing . I then drove the last 10 minutes home I thought it was going to die within 100 feet of our home. Anybody got any suggetions I have replaced virtually everything on this vehicle it is a 1993 four runner with 284,000 kms on it. Could it be the cadiliytic converter overheating ????? :confuse: :confuse:
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I am pretty sure that is an aftermarket remote starter isn't it? In which case you will have to contact the company that sold it to get instructions.

waterless mike: that is the strangest tale I have ever heard. if your truck is an automatic, then it is possible it just got nudged out of gear, yes? If it is a manual and it popped out of gear, that is not a good sign, but it wouldn't have anything to do with reduced power.

It is hard to understand the rest of your story. Was the truck bucking? Was there a burning smell like stuck brakes? Did you have it floored? If you did, was it revving high or just not revving?

cttoy: it is either a bad connection behind the gauges, or a sender going bad in the tank. Unfortunately, if it is in the tank, it will be expensive to get fixed. If it is behind the dash, you may be able to fix it yourself. Have you had any reason to remove any part of the dash recently?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• jay25jay25 Posts: 10
    I would appreciate you sharing with us what fixed your problem. I am experiencing the same problem. The shop replaced my fuel pressure regulator but I still have the rough idle and hesitation on acceleration. Thanks.
  • jotoyjotoy Posts: 2
    It seems the problem was bad grounding. The shop replaced every ground on the vehicle. Runs perfect now. Took it to the lease yesterday. Now I have wheel bearing problems. Never done a 4 wheel drive front wheel bearing. I guess she'll be going back to the shop this week. Thanks for your suggestions....
  • jalinjalin Posts: 2
    I am trying to find the cause of this issue. Today out of the blue my engine started running rough and hesitated when accellerating. When I stopped at a light it seem as though it wanted to shut off. I put the truck in neutral and it seem to calm down a bit, but when I put it back in drive there was still hesitation. After a while the check engine light came on. When I got home, I opened the hood and noticed how hard the engine was vibrating during idle Has anyone experience this issue?
  • Thud in Tansmission or as some people put it "Clunk". I got it fixed by my dealer. Had another appointment to take the Tech for a drive early morning so he can try to experience the thud. No such luck- When I arrived at the Dealer, he had order a new drive shaft. He had called Toyota Canada and they told him to order a new Drive shaft under warranty.

It is now changed, and working well. I've originally tried the "grease the yoke" solution, but that didn't cut it.

A happy camper now. :)