Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jay25jay25 Posts: 10
    I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, spark plug wires and spark plugs. The culprit was one of the spark plugs. It had a crack at the tip. I did not even see it until my dad pointed it out the next day. He's got an eye for these things, worked on cars as a hobby but has been slowing down thru the years. Now, my truck is back to normal.
  • Used '05 4Runner. Default is for all doors to lock when put in reverse. Manual says can change by having key on, shift out of "Park," and hold upper part of power door switch for 5 seconds. Doesn't work. Stays in default mode. Anyone with same prob and cure? Thanks.
  • Hey chuck1 I've asked from Serv. Manager to his Supervisor and they can't give me a straight up answer. By the time they get the part and fix my creeking rear wheel the total time in shop will be over 2 weeks. Tues I'm contacting the owner of Dealership. :mad: :lemon:
  • I'm going into my second wk. for the same probe. They still can't give me a answer when they can get the part. I have a 2005 Sport (5Kmiles) What can we do to have Toyota compensate us for our down time? My previous SUV was a Pathfinder that has 250 K miles and still running strong,not once in the shop! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • yuenyuen Posts: 5
    I need to program a new key fob for my 2005 4runner. The key fob is model# HYQ12BBX,. I tried the instruction for HYQ12BAN, but it doesn't work. Any know how to program the 2005?
  • My 24-year old daughter bought her 'dream' car six weeks ago - a 1995 4Runner with 155k miles on it for $6,000. Unfortunately it spun a rod bearing last week and it looks like the only solution is to replace or rebuild the engine.

We're getting quotes of about $5,000 to rebuild the engine or install a remanufactured engine, or it looks like we can sell the car 'as-is' for about $1,000-$1,500. My daughter really can't afford such a loss.

Does anyone have an idea of how to either get it fixed more cheaply or get more for it as-is?

Thanks,
    Bob Kendall
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    Tough shape to be in. Does she have any credit at all? If she drives a small amount of miles can she lease. I would not spend $5,000.00 on it.
  • Well, she has credit with Bank-of-Dad ... but that bank is hoping to recover more than $1,000 :-)
  • my 2000 toyota 4 runner always shows check engine need some help
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Type "check engine light" (without the quotes) into the "Search this discussion" field to the right near the top of this page to read what others have had to say about it.

tidester, host
  • Tough one. If the engine crapped out under normal driving, I'd probably say get another engine, especially if the vehicle is a 4x4 in good condition. A two wheel drive I'd most likely unload. If the bearing spun due to high rpm's and spirited driving (abuse), then the replacement engine may suffer the same consequence.

(Edited by poster) After going online, I'd have to concur that $5000 is the expected price for a V6 replacement. A four cylinder should come in about a thousand less. Ouch. Toyota engines are expensive. The other option would be to consult a local high school or community college that has an auto shop. They may take your vehicle for training their students and do the work for free as long as you purchase the long block and any ancillary items (oils, filters, clutch where applicable, etc.) The vehicle would be down longer, but the repair would be free of labor charges.

Of course if she doesn't really need a 4Runner, the money would probably be better spent on a late model Civic, Corolla, Elantra, or Sentra WITH a warranty. Just remember any loan will require full coverage insurance. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the advice ... I may check with the high school or JC auto shop.

(The engine failure was caused by lack of oil because she didn't keep an eye on it. However either the car was very low on oil when she bought it or it was leaking/burning oil at a rapid pace for some other reason ... we'll never know at this point)

We did help her buy a replacement car (2003 Neon) and, yeah, she'll have full insurance coverage as she did on the 4Runner - but of course that insurance doesn't cover mechanical problems.
  • I had something similar. It happened on my 2004 V8 after I took it in to have the sulphur smell fixed under the TSB. Right after they did the fix for that, I noticed my Check Engine Light on, and the VSC and TRAC Light on. They said the Check Engine light was on due to the Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low. The wiring harness to the 02 sensor shorted to the body. So they repaired the wiring harness and did it under warranty ($70 otherwise).

As for the VSC and TRAC light, that was because the Decel Sensor was undone. So they recalibrated the Decel Sensor under warranty ($84 if not under warranty).

I don't know if this would apply to your vehicle and the reason your lights are on, but I hope it helps.
  • I too have a Toyota 4 Runner Limited V8 (2003) with the same "thud" problem. At first I thought it was the brake calipers sticking or the slider pins on the calipers because the problem occurred when the brakes were released. Toyota has not been able or has not desired to fix this annoying problem. My regular mechanic (he does not work for a Toyota dealer) drove the vehicle and immediately said it might be the pressure in the transmission lines or the air suspension. I will now go back to Toyota with this knowledge and hopefully they will fix my truck!!

If anyone has further insight I'd be interested to know.

:mad: P
  • As I approached work this morning, I lost power steering. I'd driven the freeway and made numerous turns, and suddenly I didn't think I could make the left. I ended up making several tough lefts (good thing there's no traffic on the road at 4:30 am!) and doing some turning to the right, but there was no power to the steering. Do you think it's the pump? I've checked prices online and found 2 for under $200; if it's the pump, what might the labor run me?

It's a V6, 2WD; over the last 8 years we've replaced, through warranty and maintenance: water pump, head gaskets, radiator, timing belt (getting close to another one though), and master cylinder. Its only problem is a slow engine oil leak (1 qt. every 1000 miles - maybe every 4-6 weeks) which hasn't changed since we found out about it. We only drive it for short (>20 miles one-way) in-city trips. Though we're talking about replacing it, for financial reasons I'd like to keep it another year and have more saved for a down pmt. Is this worth repairing or should I give in to my hubbie and hit the dealerships?
  • From the other thread there is a recall on your vehicle, specifically, the power steering.
    More info here: http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw120907_20050907.htm
    I'd try to get a dealer to fix the problem for free. If they play hardball, mention something about your almost accident. If they continue to stonewall, tell them how the local newscasters would love to here your story about someone's apparent lack of concern, when it comes to safety.
  • Hmmm...I'm getting my 1995 4Runner 4x4 3.0L V6 EFI totally remanufactured for 2600.00 Labor everything!!

I blew a head gasket. The local ship wanted 2500 just for the gasket...I'm getting the total engine for only 100 bucks more...shop around!!

Where I took mine:
    Motor Machine and Supply, National City Ca. 619-474-9366
  • Hi,
    We have a 1999 4Runner with 91K and it's time to replace the timing belt. Some of the shops I've called recommend just checking the water pump and tensioner pullies and only replacing them if bad, others say replace 'em all at once. I think I may have them do the water pump just to be safe, but is it worth taking a chance that the tensioner pullies will make it till the next timing belt change if they still look OK now?
    Thanks!
  • Hello all,
    I have a 95 4runner V6 and is getting over heating problem when driving 25-30 mins on the stop & go road. When I drive on the HWY, it seems ok, and when I get on to the local road again, the heat starts to rise. I was told that it was the fan clutch problem. I replaced it with an after market one from Autozone. It was no good, problem still persists. A week later, I found a used fan clutch at a junkyard from a year older 4runner. I replaced it and drive for a few days, problem is still there. Can anyone tell me what kind of problem do I have here? How can I tell if it’s a bad fan clutch or something else? The water coolant looks good and full. I don’t think this is the thermostat problem? Could it?

I drive this car for 8 years, haven’t had this problem before. I recently changed the timing belt and all other belts over a month before this happened. After the belts were changed, I notice the engine runs smoother and seems helping a bit on gas.

Any hints/tips to fix the problem that would be very helpful

Thank you
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    That's really cheap. Will they put IN WRITING that it will pass the smog test?