Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Does anyone out there experience a knocking/tapping noise when starting the engine in the morning or when engine is cold? The noise disappears as the engine warms up. Somebody told me it is the engine valve lifters. I put an additives but still didn't help.

Any comments is appreciated.

Manny
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I think they're right, it's the valve lifters. It's not a huge worry, but maybe you could switch to a lighter oil so it will pump up quicker when it's cold?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Have you tried to pull codes off it? Sure sounds like a bad sensor somewhere.

• I have a 96 recently working on the engine accidently broke an aluminum liquid line that run throught the drier and condensor something like that, anyway freon empty, i have a home mechanic purchase one and installed it for 100 usd plus 30 for recharging freon to it, but he didn't know how much freon should he charge, anyone know please post. he said look under hood it should tell the maximun of lbs and the mininum. since mine lable not there anymore....
    a '96 would use R134a, not freon. :confuse:

• yeah you rite not freon i mean R134a. i would like to know how much should it be recharge in it could you look your lable underhood see how much the maxium and the mininum of pounds.. Thanks...
  • 19841984 Posts: 16
    :lemon: The Dealer ( has now offered to order a new tire pressure sensor (this after my 2nd visit).
  • dadof6dadof6 Posts: 61
    Is it a 4 or 6 cyl ?
  • rychrrychr Posts: 2
    Got a weird intermittent problem with my 2005 4runner Limited. On occasion when I go offroading in 4H the 4wd lights keep flashing when I shift from 4H to 2H. This is not the normal 4wd drive engaged lights that flash when u go from 2H to 4H and vice versa but all of them including the 4lo, diff lock, VSC lights etc. Tried stopping the vehicle, accelerating and braking, backing up, shifting from 2H to 4H and back again but nothing stops the blinking lights. When I turn the truck off and on again there are no more blinking lights. The dealer has looked at my truck twice now and can't find any problems or re-create the problem because it only happens sometimes

Has anyone heard of this problem? Is this a mechanical or a sensor problem? Is there a technical bulletin on this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • cbhoocbhoo Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 4Runner with a 3.4L 6-cyl engine that has been regularly serviced by my Toyota dealer (Kings Toyota in Cincinnati) since I bought it new in 1/00. I have 78,000 miles, and it was just serviced (oil change) at the dealer 1 month before my engine failure.

Three weeks ago I was driving on the expressway, when I accelerated to change lanes, the car began to shake and the engine lost power. The engine light came on. When I pulled off the road, the oil light came on too. The engine quickly seized up and stopped. There was oil and radiator fluid mixed together on the road under the car.

I had it towed to the Toyota dealer (Kings Toyota in Cincinnati) where I bought it new and which did my service. I suspected a blown connecting rod. The dealer confirmed that the engine must be replaced. Incredible!! I bought this 4Runner for its advertised quality and reliability. I had a Jeep for 140k miles before this. Also had Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Chevy for 100k+ miles.

When the problem first surfaced (which initially I thought was only a blown engine), I called the Toyota Customer Care toll free number in CA. This (or any) engine does not fail after only 78,000 miles unless it is defective or not cared for. I had all service according to the manual at the dealer. I am the original owner. Toyota Customer Care told me I must work through the dealer Customer Service Rep. So, I immediately contacted the dealer Cust. Service Rep, who then had the Toyota District Sales and Parts Manager (DSPM) (Ron) for my area look at the car. Two weeks ago the Toyota DSPM apparently inspected the car and told the dealer he would give $1000 toward a new engine -- net $8000 installed per my dealer. A used engine is only $4500 so I chose to go with the used engine and continue to try to work out with Toyota.

This week they started to remove the old engine and I learn that I need a transmission too -- another $3200! The dealer is telling me that the connecting rod broke, was thrown through the block and into the transmission -- needs both an engine and transmission (~ $8k). I went to see it 2 days ago and met with the mechanic and service manager. When I asked what would cause this premature failure (I already knew) the mechanic said that he did not want to accuse me of anything but did I ever change the oil. It was easy for me to say yes -- the dealer (you) changed it over the years including 3 times this year in Jan, May and 30 days before the failure! He said that's about the only way he knew it could fail.

I immediately spoke to the Customer Care rep at the dealer (Kings Toyota in Cincinnati) who told me to call the Toyota Customer Care person in CA again because the dealer could not do anything more. The Toyota Customer Care person told me that I must resolve this with the dealer or the Toyota DSPM for this area. Toyota also told me no one, not even the CEO of Toyota could overrule the decision of the DSPM -- ridiculous. The dealer told me to work through Toyota so I am getting jerked around. My neighbors and friends -- some who bought Toyotas from my dealer at my recommendation -- are shocked that Toyota will not take care of this problem.

I need to contact the Toyota DSPM; I know his first name is Ron, but nothing else. Toyota Customer Care said they did not know who the DSPM was for my area but to contact the dealer and it could tell me. I have left messages at the dealer for this contact info but now radio silence. Anybody have any names/address/phone of a person at Toyota where they had success resolving a problem?? Any other suggestions for getting help from Toyota?
  • jokol2jokol2 Posts: 27
    I would contact the State Attorney General's Office, Comsumer Protection Department, and ask for some help. In Oregon, that does work!! I am assuming that your State has a Comsumer Protection Department. Most States do. Good luck. Toyota has gotten too big for their britches!!!!!!!!!
  • mmimsmmims Posts: 1
    Anyone have any tips on replacing the starter on an 87 4-Runner? If so please let me know. thanks
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,174
    A bunch of recent vibration problems posts have been moved to a new discussion. The post sequence gets a bit out of whack when moving posts but hopefully it'll make sense for new people finding the discussion. Here's the link:

brock1313, "Toyota 4Runner Vibrations" #2, 30 Aug 2006 10:25 pm

(Thanks for the suggestion Bob).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Jollygreen, all post's relating to vibrations have been moved to an appropriate thread.
    Thanks Steve! ;)

I'll re-post my response here and if any of the hosts could delete my duplicate post under "vibrations"? Thanks!

Jollygreen, you didn't mention the mileage you have but here's a few things to try depending what mechanical abilities you have;

Start out by cleaning your injectors. Get a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner. Can be bought at Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys or your local independent auto store. This is the best cleaner out on the market.
    When your Limited is almost empty, go to an Amoco gas station and as per instructions on the bottle, empty the contents into your gas tank. Now fill up with Amoco Gold (Premium). The two combined will clean your fuel system.

How's the air filter?

Have you ever cleaned the MAS? The MAS (mass air-flow sensor) is located between the air filter and throttle plate in the flex hose. It has wires going to it so disconnect the wires and the clamps that secure it to the flex hose.
    Looking at the MAS, it will contain a couple small wires within a "honey comb" looking inside. DO NOT TOUCH THE WIRES! Get some "Electrical Contact Cleaner" (also available at a auto parts store)and spray the inside of the MAS. Some might say to "use a q-tip to clean the wires and insides". Don't!
    All you need is a small cotton fiber from a q-tip on one of the wires and you'll have all sorts of drivability problems.
    After you have used the contact cleaner, get a can of compressed air and gently blow out the MAS.

While you have the intake flex hose off and MAS, check the throttle plate for carbon. If any is present, spray carb. cleaner on the throttle plate (closed) and allow to soak for a bit. With a clean rag, wipe the carbon off. Spray the rag with carb. cleaner and open the throttle plate. Wipe the inside clean.

After you're done, reassemble.
    Hope this helps....
  • Thanks, Bob for the info. I will begin working on it today. I am going in Thursday (30 Nov) for diagnostics and maybe that will find some things..probably my wallet. I have just turned 40k on the 03 4r. I received a letter in the mail last week from Toyota of Colorado Springs offering me 22.5k site unseen for my 4r. Of course I have to buy another new Toyota, but interesting. I am thinking of buying a throttle body spacer. Do you think that will help in any way? Thanks, Mike
  • Mike, I don't believe in anything that says it "will improve gas mileage...."
    So honestly, I'm sure it won't help your mpg.
    Just check the basics first and go from there.
    Good luck to you! ;)
  • Chuck - I must have gotten the rare Dunlops. 51k and still about 10k left in them. Still considering the Michelin Cross Terrain unless there are better options that anyone knows of.
  • Hey Bob, Had a diagnostic done on my 03 4R V8 and guess what? The dealer said my injectors were clogged. Well, I coughed up the money ($155) and had it done which supposedly included cleaning the throttle body components. When the weather gets warmer (Col Springs), I will clean the MAS and make sure the throttle body was cleaned. My wife "fessed" up the other day saying she pushes the center diff lock button and leaving it on thinking that is what you do in snow and ice. I read her the manuel and simple told her never to push the button. I wonder if driving on pavement will affect gas mileage and or damage the center diff while on? I like the infomercials on gas saving gadgets (tornado etc), but have resisted buying them. Thanks, Mike
  • Glad to hear Mike!
    But how's she (your '03 4R) running? And let us know how the gas mileage is after your first tank full.

The only thing those "gadgets" do is drain your wallet. :mad:
    Bob
  • Hey Bob, It warmed up to 33 today and I think I will clean the MAS since I just filled up my tank after the injector cleaning. We don't drive it much (5000 last yr) so it might take a while. It will probably be city driving, but if it goes back to 16mpg city like it used to be then I would think things are back to normal. Will let you know. Have a Merry Christmas, Mike
  • Hey Bob, On my 03 4R V8, I had the dealer clean my injectors which included cleaning the throttle body inlet and butterfly valve. Since I have had some shady things happen to me with dealers before, I decided to check the throttle body inlet for cleaning and clean the MAS. All of this effort was fairly straight forward and very easy. The throttle body although not very dirty (40k miles on engine) was nevertheless dirty around the edge (circumference) of the butterfly and about a quarter of an inch high on the butterfly. The inlet was dirty outside and inside of the butterfly. I cleaned it all while I had it apart, but should not have so I could have shown the Toyota Service Mgr. Now I don't trust them to have cleaned the injectors. Have not checked mileage yet after the work. mike
  • Mike, it won't hurt to get some Chevron Techron Injection Cleaner and pour it in along with a tank full of Amoco Premium...that is if you think they didn't clean the injectors.
    Don't know what type of driving you do; city or highway. If it's mostly city driving, after you do the above, I'd get your 4R out on the highway for say a nice 1/2 day trip. This will also help clean any top engine carbon out that might have accumulated and will aid in cleaning the injectors.

Glad the rest of the project went well for you! ;)
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!
  • Bob, will follow your advice on the Techron cleaner (already bought some for both vehicles). Going to talk to the Sev Mgr at Toyota Col Spgs this morning if only to get it off my chest. Remember our servicemen and women and most of all our Vets. Thanks, Mike
  • I have an 03 4-runner as well and I have this same moon roof rattle and it is so annoying! I can't access the TSB file that you have on the site. I know this is a pretty old post so I'm wondering if anyone has access to the Moon roof TSB. Please help I'm going insane from this noise.
  • Mike,
    I hope our wonderful hosts (how's that for "brown nosing") will let me post this link. :blush:

Folks, there are many fine men and women serving in the armed forces that won't be home for the holidays.
    They are serving our country for us, our freedom and everything that America stands for.
    Do yourself and them a favor by sending them an Holiday Card to show you appreciate what they are doing.
    It only takes less than a minute, it's free and you'll show them that you care!
    Please click on the link below, thanks much!

http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home.html
  • kakers,
    The TSB info (partial) is NV003-03 for your problem but it might have been revised.
    Somewhere I saw that it wasn't strictly dedicated to the sunroof but also the pillars aiding to the rattle. It consists of adding (I believe) some strips in the sunroof but also a repair to the pillars...I think. :confuse:

Sorry I can't be of more help but maybe a search will come up with something.
    Good luck!
  • I get a Shimmy/Shake/Vibration on my 2000 4 runner that is a 1 year old problem. When I purchased it, it was fine.
    I did get hit from behind while I was stopped at a light with a replacement of the back end and all body parts.

I've taken it to multiple places including the dealer and no resolve. The shake occurs at 65 - 70 MPH. I have had an alignment done, rear shocks replaced, tire rotate and balancing, 4 replacement tires, and the front brakes replaced.
    All mechanics have said that the front suspension parts are fine.
    I have read that maybe there is a special balancing for the factory wheels for some Toyotas. the lug centric.
    Is this one of them?
    Also, I have read the thread about the problem being characteristic on 06 model but this is a 00.
    I have a 2WD 4 cylinder. I had Cooper Tires now I have winterforce tires. Both have the same problem. A smooth ride til i hit 65 MPH.
    Could it be a drive shaft?
    I am feeling it in the steering wheel and the gas pedal. It's not intense but it's bumpy and unpleasant. My passengers also feel it though not as strong.
    any one with any insight, please advise.
    thank you.
  • I also have a 1997 Limited that does the same thing only not quite as bad. I'll get hesitation sporatically when I'm just cruising along and it feels like either a tranny thing or possibly a fuel/ignition issue. I would like to see what others say about this so I can address it.
  • can anyone help me out. I have a 1990 4runner with a v6 engine. It runs good until i shut it off while it is at operating temperature. when i go to restart it when it is still worm sometimes it starts just fine but then starts running like crap. It acts like it is staving for air or fuel. I have to keep pumping the pedal to keep it running. Sometimes it gets better and runs just fine but if it dies it wont start until about 15 to 30 min then it runs just fine again I have check my mass air flow sensor and my tp sensor they are good still i have also changed out my ignition control module. I have tried many time to retrive a code but there has never been a code present. does anyone have any ideas what would be causing this
  • Travbone,

First thing I'd do is to check the fuel pump pressure when it acts up. I can't remember the exact PSI for your model year but it shouldn't be hard to find.
    Have you had your 4R since new? If so and the fuel pump has never been replaced, I'd suspect that.
    If the fuel pump checks out fine, have a tech. hook up a scanner and see if any of your injectors are leaking. That too will cause a hard/no start condition.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.