Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Find another mechanic. I believe the '95 model year is the same as the ''90 and I have replaced the starter myself in the driveway and also had it done 5 years later at Toyota. (another story as to why it went to a dealer). To replace the starter jack up the right front, put on jack stand and remove the front tire. There is an access panel you will need to remove to get access to the starter. The only tricky part is the upper bolt. You need about a 24 inch extension on your socket wrench to reach it as you need to go into it from the front. I don't remember but you may also need to drop the front skid pan.
  • Have a similar problem with a 1990 4-runner. It will start the first time in the day but after you turn it off and then go to restart after 15 to 20 min it won't turn over. I'll wait for a few minutes try again and it will start. The starter was insatlled by the dealer a little over a year ago, I've checked the connections and the battery and all looks good.
  • About every 15 min my speedometer starts making a loud noise and the needle jumps up about 30 MPH higher than actual speed. Also the cruise works very erratic. Is there something I should lube or replace? Thanks Kirk
  • Had that problem from a bad battery once, would not start when hot but let it cool down and BINGO it would turn over and start.
  • Try greasing your speedometer cable shaft. Pull it out of it's sheathing, either from the transmission end or where it goes into the back of the speedometer..
  • Thanks, will try, does the dash have to come apart or can I get the cable out from behind the speedometer.
  • I've never had to do it on a 4Runner. On one car I did it to, I was able to snake my hand in back of the speedometer and unscrew the cable housing then pull out the shaft. On another, I got to the shaft by getting it out the end that went into the transmission (probably the best and easiest method). In either case, you grease the shaft and push it back into the housing. I'm not sure what grease I used, probably lubriplate(sp?) or something like it. Ask in an auto parts store or a Toyota dealer. Hope this helps. It cured my speedometer needle jumping around.
    Good luck
  • ng199ng199 Posts: 2
    iwangs04,
    Let me know how it goes!

Thanks
  • Folks,

I have a 2004 V6 4wd 4Runner that eats front brakes. The originals were down to the metal at 14k. I then had premium pads installed and the rotors turned and they lasted 11k. Toyota only covers brakes for 10k and they are calling this normal wear. I haven't towed anything yet and the wife drives it mostly to run the kids around but 11k? That can't be normal. My friend has the 2003 model and still hasn't had to do brakes at 38k, which is what I would expect. Anyone else seen this issue? Please point me to the right discussion group if this isn't it. Thanx.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I've got a 2003 V8 4WD 4Runner with about 40,000 miles. I'm still on my original brake pads. Dealer says they're at 50%.

Does your wife ride the brakes (i.e., left foot brake while right foot on accelerator)?
  • I am getting a hydrolic noise from the break pedal in my 05 4runner V8 Sport. As if air is escaping a piston. The noise occurs in the first inch while depressing the break pedal. I took the truck into the dealer where a mechanic drove the vehicle to hear the noise. He wrote it off as 'normal' and asked if I wanted to test another truck on the lot to confirm. The same noise was heard but at a weaker level in the new vehicle. Is anyone else having this issue within the cabin from the break pedal? This noise is NOT coming from the break pads but the pedal system. Any solutions?
  • The brakes on the 4Runner operate on a hydrolic system. What you hear is the hydrolic pump regenerating the hydrolic fluid. You should hear a slight buzz sound every third or fourth time you hit the brake pedal. All 4Runners do this and it is completely normal. Hopefully this is your issue, and you will be able to rest easy!!
  • Hey everyone,

I have a 1992 toyota 4runner, and I have been modifying it over the 4 years I have had it, with no problems finding parts...until now. I ordered brighter backup lights (1156) and just went to install them today and come to find out they aren't the right bulb! I checked many resources and they all say that for the 1992 toyota 4runner the backup bulb is an 1156. On mine though, it isn't. It is actually an 921 which is used for the 1993 model year. Has anyone encounter this yet? And does anyone know a brighter 921 light bulb that would work? Also I have 31" tires on my truck now, does anyone know if I put a 2.5" suspension lift on my truck if they will fit? Or, if they will, will I have to go to a higher gear ratio to run them?
    thanks
  • I had a Mazda MPV where every now and then (not often) would send a fine fog out from the dash vents with the AC on. It seemed to happen only on the most humid days and it only lasted less than a minute when it happened. It was definately NOT coolant but plain water. I always thought it was the condensed by-product of the AC unit that puddled in a certain area of the ductwork and then got into the airstream whenever it was making more water than normal (extremely humid days). I remember the first time I saw it I was surprized. I ended up driving that MPV for 180K miles (just traded for 4Runner this week) and never had a problem with the AC. Didn't even recharge it.

Mark
  • audreymaudreym Posts: 103
    My mother-in-law's Town & Country did that (back when the A/C worked) once or twice. I always assumed it was the humidity in the air that was in the vents before you turned the A/C on that got super-chilled.. ::shrug::
  • Thank you for the reply. If the noise was occurring every time would that eliminate the possibility of the noise coming from the hydrolic fluid? A good example of the noise is when you open the trunk on the 4runner and the piston lets out a hiss. Exact same type of noise. It happens every time I press the break in the first inch or so. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.
  • We have a 1995 Toyota 4 Runner, the back brake line has a hole in it somewhere but we can not find the line to find the hole, could someone tell us where we can find the line.
  • rcemrcem Posts: 1
    How can I lift my rear cargo door higher? I and others keep hitting their head getting into the back of my 2002 4runner. Is there a market for gas struts that will lift my rear cargo door about 6" higher?

RCEm
  • I am writing again under a new title for an issue mentioned on my post #1246.
    I have an 05 4x4 Sport now with 10k on the clock, and this concerns a drive line/transmission shake at around 45mph. This used to occur only in 5th gear, gentle throttle (low revs).
    It feels as though the driveshaft becomes oblong and the body shakes from beneath, notably.
    I used to cure it by lifting off the gas, or tapping into 4th to raise the revs. The last week it seems to have gotten worse and I just noticed it this evening, with gear lever in 4th, going downhill, and was able to simulate the shaking for as long as I held it at 43mph.
    The wobbling I noticed from the 1st week of ownership and the sales manager at the time commented that it was probably the transmission not locking up but that it would probably iron itself out.
    I am now concerned since I plan to own this vehicle for many years, and do alot of mileage and will run out the warranty in no time.

Anyone else had this issue?

I also have numerous other issues with the vehicle (sulphur smell, defective tires etc) none of which have been satisfactorily corrected by the dealer, or through research through forums.
    I am starting to wonder if I made a mistake buying this vehicle, as I have traded one set of problems for another, and paid an extra $20k for it!
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Not following you here: 31" is one of the two stock sizes (31x10.50R15), so they should fit without a problem. My old '90 was running that size tire with a 2" lift. I never changed the gearing, although the V-6 is definitely a bit of a dog when you run the bigger tires. Changing the gearing would help.

Did you mean 32" tires?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)