Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I was looking for the grease recommended by the owner's manual for propeller shaft of 4Runner 2005;
    Spiders - Lithium base chassis grease NLGI No.2
    Slide Yokes - Mloybdenum disulfide lithium base chassis grease or Lithium base multi purpose grease NLGI N0.2

All the TOYOTA dealerships I talked to, offered "General Purpose Wheel Bearing chassis grease" C0009-00032.
    They say this is stuff their mechanics use.

Can anyone run into this tell me what to use. :confuse:
    Thanks.
  • I have regularly to fill the coolant; though it is not much' about 1 litre in every 3-4 weeks...
    more in winter time..

I have checked that no leak on heater coil, new radiator & oil level is just right (so, it is not the head gasket blown)..

any other suggestion to look at it???
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Ok, that's what I thought you were asking, but I wasn't sure. As I posted previously, in the first year or two of the 4th generation 4Runner (2003 model year and up), the fender flares and bumper covers on the Limited were painted to match the body paint, but the SR5 fender flares and bumper covers were unpainted. I don't remember whether the SE had painted or unpainted plastic.

Toyota apparently decided that the unpainted plastic was reducing sales, so they discontinued it. All trim levels, SR5, SE, and Limited now have painted bumper covers and fender flares.
  • The double-decker system can be removed, however there will be a gap between the rear floor and the seat backs when they are folded down. The rear floor will be lower when the shelf is removed. I removed the shelf from my 06, did not like the unfinished look and reinstalled it. I have yet to find a use for the shelf. There would be more room in the back had Marketing never thought of this useless item. :mad:
  • ggoinsggoins Posts: 57
    Thanks for the information. I liked those. Might find a certified 04 with them...or maybe Toyota will bring them with the 07 but I doubt it...got an opinion on the CJ?
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    CJ? Do you mean FJ Cruiser?

I haven't seen the FJ Cruiser in person. I'm a bit worried about the reduced visibility caused by the C-pillars and the large mirrors. I'm not a fan of swing-out rear doors -- I prefer a hatch like the 4Runner.

I like the looks of the FJ Cruiser, but it's too small for me. It will certainly be better offroad than the 4Runner (better clearance and better angles), but the 4Runner is more than capable of handling the offroading that I do. Also, I like the luxury features of my Limited, like leather seats, automatic headlights, and heated seats.
    I agree...visibility is down....best for off road and off freeway...limited model of the 4 Runner standard features...for me hard to justify the increase in price, though for some reason the limited looks finer than the SR. Like leathers though as I think the seats are better constructed...either way I agree the Runner is a better all purpose choice and sacrifice little in the capable department..
  • The smell is from the kind of gas used
  • Use a differnt brand of gas
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    May not help:

Sulfur from 2003 4Runner

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thanks for the post on the sulphur smell..sounds as if Toyota corrected the issue with the TSB in 2004. Any followup or current owners of 05 06 having this same issue?
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    No issue with my 2006 4Runner LTD V8 4WD ... as the TSB states it should only affect 2003 and 2004 model 4Runners.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    Now there's a question I have never considered! Doesn't it work the same way as the fronts? Slide out the old insert, slide the new one in?

If it's something different, tell me! I have an '00 as well! :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    If you're SURE you're not leaking it, then you know what that means! There's only two ways it can "get out".

My guess with a drop in level that small is you actually ARE leaking it, and you will need to look other places to find it. You've checked hoses, especially the heater hoses at the firewall connections with the age of your truck? Also the water inlet. And of course, the water pump itself for seeping.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• wds1wds1 Posts: 23
    I am possibly considering a 4-Runner purchase this year. I have always been a Honda owner. My research tells me the 4-Runner would be a reliable choice. What are your overall feelings for the 4-Runner in regard to reliability, quality of fit and finish, and overall satisfaction of Toyota as a company? Also, I am interested in anyone who has been involved in a wreck in the 4-Runner. Crash test results are important to me. I am really interested in the opinions of Toyota owners. My feelings for Honda have not been great, as of late. Thanks for your help!
    I own a 97 4Runner 2 WD and am going to buy an 06 4Runner 4WD. The Runner is stable in winds and on slick pavements. Maintence costs are low except for electric which can be high. The interior has excellent workmanship. I have put 60K miles in all terrain and have not a problem. Mileage is 22 MPG combined. The vehicle now has 130K on a V6 engine. Gonna be hard to let go of it.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    I am one of the experienced buyers for over 15 years trading new Toyotas and they have never have failed me. I once had an 05 Odyssey what a piece ohhh junk... I got rid of it after one year of issues for a beauty 2006 Sienna LTD fully loaded... never ever again HONDA...

The 2006 4Runner LTD V8 4WD that I just bought is so well built and feels so solid and reliable and... it is an amazing vehicle (as an FYI I used to own a 1999 4Runner LTD V6 4WD).
  • robg4robg4 Posts: 32
    A drunk ran into the back of our 4-runner while stopped at a light. It totalled her car. It only messed up one side of our bumper and bent the muffler some.

The 06 Runner is sensational IMO. My wife rarely lets me drive it she likes it so much. The cabin is comfortable and loaded. Very stout feeling when driving it. A nononsence type that has looks to go with it. IMO the optional 17" wheels are worth getting. Your clearance is better as well as control.

I have had a Tercel, Corolla, and we still have our Camry. I would be scared to go with any other make. I have had too much reliability to risk changing.

I had test driven a Pilot and thought it was OK. But the Runner does not seem as tight as the Pilot and much more sturdy.
  • will a rear drive line from 1986 toyota short wheel base fit a 1986 4Runner?
  • drex1drex1 Posts: 41
    I own both 1999 and 2003 4Runners. I use exactly as the owner's manual and repair manual recommends.

Spiders - Lithium base chassis grease NLGI No.2
    Slide Yokes - Molybdenum disulfide lithium base grease

Drex