Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Outside rear wheel slips on my 1999 4 runner at low speed on dry pavement. Jerky motion... Is something wrong or do I have something engaged?
  • doug01doug01 Posts: 5
    I have seen and heard differing opinions on the auto trans fluid change on my 4runner. 60K miles and I just had all the diff's changed including the transfer case but haven't done the auto fluid. I heard 60k from one place, 100k from another. Any help is appreciated! Thanks...
  • boats3boats3 Posts: 42
    I would go based on what the owner's manual says. It has a Preventive Maintence System in the books, I would follow that.
  • Hi Thompson5
    i have the EXACT same problem with my 2004 toyota sports edition 4x4...
    did you ever find a solution??
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Posts: 176
    If your lucky enough to have purchased the Toyota Platinum extended warranty, the sunroof is covered.
  • Did they ever resolve/fix your rattle problem??? What did they do for it??? WAs the rattle heard at red lights and drive thrus with the 4runner in gear??? Thanks carno J
  • hwallerhwaller Posts: 1
    I have 1999 4-runner w 205,000 miles. Check engine light came on and the repair shop is wanting to replace Oxygen sensor, fuel filter, clean fuel injector and replace battery cable terminals and cable. $962.00

What do you think - Is it worth it. All items are original equipment.
    HWaller
  • kiddogokiddogo Posts: 14
    Have an '06 4Runner. Had a flat, put on the full spare and the tire sensor light will not turn off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
  • The Tire Pressue Monitoring System (TPMS) is looking for the flat tire. It has a sensor in it. Fix the flat and put it back on the vehicle and the light goes out.
  • Seems the flat tire is still in close proximity to the truck. So the sensor is still broadcasting the low/flat tire signal. You have to fix the flat tire and get it to the correct pres to turn the light off. Or take the flat tire off the truck and keep it at home til it's fixed.. Good luck Cjj
  • 2006toy2006toy Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 4Runner LTD V8 w/80,000 miles and no problems. Typically keep my vehicles for 12 years or 250K miles. Two questions;

1) I've always had the oil and filter changed every 3K on all my vehicles and they lasted forever. For the most part, I've changed the oil every 3k, but on the last couple of changes I've moved to 5k. The maintenance guide and the dealer mark oil changes at 5K. Should I stick with the ole fashion rule of every 3k or go with the 5k interval. Mostly highway miles with no towing.

2) I need to replace my original Michelin Cross Terrain tires due to 2 cuts that can't be fixed. Probably would have gone 90k without a problem. There are no Michelins in New England. Has anyone replaced the OEMs with General Tire Grabbers? Comments relative to the Michelins?
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Posts: 176
    Changing oil at 3K is a waste of money IMHO! I have been changing oil every 5K on my '05 w/the V8 without any issues. SUV currently has 65K on it.

The Grabber has gotten good reviews. You might consider also the Nittos Terra Grappler if they are available in your area. The BFG All terrains are a safe choice as well.

There isn't a smoother quieter tire than the Michelins, so keep that in mind. However, just about every tire is cheaper than the Michelins as well!

Try www.tires-easy.com - They ship every where.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,625
    You might like this oil link too.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I have the same problem on my 2006.
    i actually had to put a new tire on it...and the rim is bent just slightly..but holding air fine. guys at shop said to just put the ever so slightly bent tire on back instead of front...but like still on. any ideas?
  • 4get4get Posts: 1
    I have a 95 4runner. It's been sitting on my driveway for about 6 months with no one starting the engine. I replaced the battery today, the engine turns but will not stay on. Spark plugs/filter/old gas, I've read them all. Any REAL suggestion? I'm thinking of donation to a charity group, but if there is a real simple fix, I appreciate it.
  • drex1drex1 Posts: 41
    I am receiving a Check Engine light with a code of P0171 "System too lean (Bank 1)" on my 3.4L V6 '99 4Runner. I am wondering about the possible cause and solution.

Could this be caused by a poor fuel quality and me putting too great a demand on the engine? I recently began using the local Xxxx Gas 87 octane, which I’ve noticed has been “knocking” a lot lately (much more than usual). In this case, I had the A/C on, going up a big hill, trying to accelerate from a stop. I am wondering if I may have been asking too much from the engine with a poor grade of gas. I am thinking of trying another brand of gas for a while and moving go 89 octane to see if this changes the result. According to several web sites, one other possibility is that the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) is bad.

Any recommendations?
  • I have a 2004 4-runner v8 sport and recently it has been making a lot of grey smoke when I start it. It has around 80k ,miles. I don't know enough about engines to solve this problem so I'm lookin for some help.
  • I have a 1999 toyota 4runner SR5 v6 engine that idles rough when stopped, but smoothes out when when i give it gas. My mechanic says it's one of my ignition coil. Changed that but the problem still persists. Now he says I need to change the other two ignition coils as well. Am I being shafted here?

Please comment.

Cheers
  • Dude! I am so sorry not to have responded in a timely manner. I JUST saw your post today. I did indeed buy a 4Runner, although my post was so long ago I am not sure if it was the same one you're referring to. I work for Toyota as a Certified Sales and Leasing Consultant, read salesman, and found an absolutely cherry 4Runner that was on our lot for about 4 hours before I bought it outright. There were at least 4-5 other folks, salesman and customers alike, who wanted to buy it. It is a 2002 SR5, 78K miles, leather, running boards (which are coming off for rock-sliders) sunroof, rear air, R locker, black with Chrome Package. I did all my research on it, including original port manifest, and it originally retailed for almost 35K. I am the third owner and obviously I got an employee discount. My "out the door" price was $12,300, which included 7.9% tax and dealer-handling. My plates were about $175. The truck runs like a champ. I switched to fully synthetic oil (using only a genuine Toyota oil filter) and put in a new genuine Toyota air filter. I started out getting 17/19 mpg, but since have improved to a consistent 19 mpg around town and 21 mpg highway. Loaded or unloaded, doesn't seem to make a difference. I do a lot of off-roading and this truck is great. Good road manners too. Easily one of the nicest all-round vehicles I have ever owned. Couldn't be happier. I also put a new set of rubber on it, Yokohama Geolander A/T S's. After doing my research yet again, the best tire for the money for my use of it and quite capable off-road. I highly recommend this truck. If you can find one with even 100-120k that is in good shape for a fair price, I wouldn't hesitate on buying it. They are pretty much bulletproof. Hope this helps! :)
  • lara4lara4 Posts: 1
    Help! I have a 1997 hunter green 4runner 4x2 with 183,000 miles on it that my boys seriously put the body through heck. I am in love with 4runner ... do i restore it for about $4,000 or purchase a used one in better shape. Found a 1985 4x4 with 154,000 miles for $4800 in the white color I like and in great shape. Understand the 97' to be a great engine, same with 95?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    You didn't mention how well your '97 runs. If it runs well, why not just give it to your boys (they can learn the responsibility of ownership and fix it up themselves) and you can get the '95 for yourself. You can also try to negotiate the $4800 price down. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I am experiencing the exact same problem with a 1999 4runner limited as I have read many others have with power locks. I just bought this truck and the dealer had already replaced the actuator. When I got the truck it would unlock every time and would only lock the doors occasionally. Now it does not lock at all, except manually and still unlocks with the door button or remote. I found on toyotanation.com a reply that sounds feasible, but I have not tried it yet. This person said to replace a fuse block that is under the steering column. Supposedly he did it himself and it fixed the problem. He mentioned that there are about 12 harnesses that have to be unplugged to get to the fuse block and also that there are 2 large fuses that would need to be replaced. It was mentioned that the part was approx $238 and the dealer wanted $260 to install it but he did it himself in about 1-1.5 hours. Does this sound right and can the average Joe do this?
  • While driving home today, I opened the sunroof and it would tilt but not open all the way. I eventually opened it, without any weird sounds that I recall. Now that I'm home, the sunroof is midway and will not close. I tried holding the button for 10-15 seconds as some advised, and it opened all the way instead. I tried manually pulling the sunroof shut, but have not had any luck. Please help me!
  • hulk3hulk3 Posts: 1
    Have a 2006 4Runner. Cranked veh and Check Engine light came on along with the VSC lights (VSC Off light, VSC Track light, and Veh icon light). Lights remain on while driving...2 days now. Veh runs fine. Have switched from 2wd to 4wd and back. No problems. I also checked all fluid levels due to Check Engine light coming on...all is well. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions ? Thanks
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 371
    I had this happen on my 2006. Since all the VSC lights were on I assumed it was some kind of fault, so I took it to the dealer. They told me it was because I hadn't put the gas cap on tight enough and charged me $50. I've always known that not tightening the gas cap would turn on the check engine light, but found it suspect it would also turn on ALL the VSC lights, but they were insistent that it would. I'm still not sure that was the problem, but it's never happened again since.
  • 5k mile oil changes with highway use is more than sufficient. I would recommend the BFGoodrich radial Long Trail if 2WD or the Rugged Trail if 4WD if used off road at all.
  • For all of the 4 Runner owners that are having problems with the power locks that will unlock but not lock electronically. I found one person that actually sounded like he knew the fix, so I checked with a couple service techs and then bought the part and installed it myself and everything is working great. I do not know that it is the same part for all years but the 99 4runner part # is 8273035260. Toyota list is $259.95, I bought mine on line from Toyota of Richardson in Richardson, TX for $203 including S&H. I took about 45 minutes to an hour to install. The part is the tan colored fuse block at driver's left knee. Take panel off and 2 bolts hold fuse block in. There are 14 or 15 wiring harnesses plugged into the block. I numbered each one with a sharpie as I took them loose and numbered the new block accordingly. If I can do it, you can too.
  • Don't forget to disconnect the battery while you are working on the fuse block.
  • re: 01 4Runner. It developed a windshield leak that allowed water on fuse block. A day of steady rain made car alarm go off. I turned it off then started it up (just in case)no problem. A few hours later the battery was dead, had to jump start. FYI, I replaced battery and alternator within a week so they are good. I garaged the vehicle to dry block and removed the negative battery connection. I noticed that (with battery connected and doors closed) the door ajar light is faintly lit. Is this normal or an indication or other problems (that I can't think of). I made appointment for reseating windshield and will not let another drop of rain hit it until then. Thanks in advance.
  • I have a 04 4runner sport V6 with 80k..and for the past few months I've noticed the milage chage from 18/22..to 15/18..All maint has been up to date..and 4 new Mich cross train tires on it.What would make this happen?.what should the actual mpg be?