Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ggoinsggoins Posts: 57
    I have a 1997 SR5 with 135K. no problems with rotors...could it be a terrain issue? commute car etc....
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    Well, there is always a chance the rotors to be of defective material, but I believe the issue is with excessive/improper torquing of wheel lug nuts... make sure the torque setting is correct to avoid any chance of over torque...
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    Followup. My original reply was meant to advise using the StraightTrak equipment by Hunter, which is what my dealer used to correct my alignment. The GSP9700 is a balancer. The StraightTrak is for alignment. Hopefully you caught this on Hunter's website. Sorry if I led you astray.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    If you've gotten 73,000 miles out of your rotors then you're doing great. Defective? No, absolutely not. Resurfacing the rotors is basically taking material off them. After doing that once or twice, the rotors are too thin to meet specifications.

73,000 is excellent life out of a set of rotors.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,681
    I agree, 73K on rotors is outstanding.
  • yalkeryalker Posts: 2
    Has anyone purchased the Service Agreement?

My dealership offered me 7yr/75k for $760. Seems like a pretty good deal and am tempted to purchase it...
    Be sure to read over the 'exclusions'.
  • yalkeryalker Posts: 2
    The finance shark told me its a bumper to bumper deal (minus normal wear and tear paint/uphostry/fluids/hoses/breaks/belts) with 24 hour road side assistance.

The crazy thing he told me is that I could have work performed at a mom and pop shop and they can directly bill Toyota for the work.

Thing I would get it for is things like all the computers/electronics that seem to set you back a grand everytime something happens to them.

Am I nuts? I have always steered WAY clear of extended warranties.
    Well STILL read the exclusions. This isn't a warranty actually, it's an insurance policy. They are betting your car doesn't break down, you are betting it does. The exclusions give them better odds, so they are worth a read.
  • I have a friend that has a 2003 Toyota Corolla S she changed brands of gas no more problem
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    on a set of rotors is great? Is that because it's a truck? On a car that would stink. My old 4Runner's rotors went way longer than that. On my current one (2000 V-6 4WD) the rotors are the originals at 67K, no problems so far, no warping.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

On modern cars with the mickey mouse rotors they put on most of them, yeah, I think 73K is outstanding for the average driver, I really do.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    I agree, I used to have an 1999 4Runner LTD V6 4WD and I had to replace the original rotors around 10k miles and the 2nd time at around 25k miles... so now I hope with my 2006 4Runner LTD V8 4WD to get at least 50-70k miles on the first original set of rotors.
  • iwangs04iwangs04 Posts: 22
    Hi all,
    I have an electrical problem on my 95 4runner. Whenever I press the brake or turn the signal light or use any instrument that has to do with electric/power, the voltage/battery meter does a quick drop or a jump to low. When it happens, the CD player would stop working for a few seconds.
    This problem has been happening for couple months now. At first, it was less noticeable, until I found out when the CD player stopped playing. I have checked the battery cables & cleaned them. The problem goes a way for a few days. So each time I adjust/tighten the terminal cable (positive side), the problem is temporarily fixed.
    The problem has grown bigger and become a big concern. At times while driving, the engine light and rear ABS light flash on when brake pedal is pressed. Another issue that at times when the ignition switch is turned to ACC (from ON to shut off the engine), the power is loss or the power is so weak that the clock is dim and the radio can’t even operate, because of insufficient power. And likewise when the ignition switch is turned to ON, engine not running, the power is no there or the lights on the dash board do not come on. If the key is left in the ON position, the power/lights on the dashboard will come on in a few seconds.
    The strange thing is that it does not happen consistently or continually. For example, if I press the brake-pedal several times within second intervals, the problem is only occurred on the first press. The subsequent press seems to be minimal affected. It’s intermittent/sporadic problem with short circuit or perhaps a bad relay.
    I took the car to a Toyota dealer other day. Dealer tested the battery and alternator system, they are all ok. Also checked wiring and related parts, connections are ok and found no wires worn creating short circuit. I was able to show them the problems, but they were unable to duplicate during the test and can’t find the root cause. :(
    Any helpful insights and suggestions to fix this problem are much appreciated.
    WANGS04
  • I have a 1991 4runner with the 3.0 v6. The engine runs great an i have no problems with the truck. It also has only 91000 miles but is getting only 14 mpg. I bought the truck last November and since that time I have changed the spark plugs, fuel and air filters, and took it to a shop and had the mechanic check for any codes or problems. Is this just the mileage that this truck should get or is something wrong with the truck that doesn't throw up a code? Any help would be appreciated.
    if your driving is mostly short trips in town, and if you have the larger 31x10.50 tires, it is highly likely you would only get 14-15 mpg.

I was at around 16-17 mpg in mine, which was a stick-shift 4WD, and I mostly drove on weekends/longer trips.

iwangs: sure sounds like a short or a bad ground. Do you have any aftermarket stuff installed?

• you are right about the driving and the tires, it also has four wheel drive. as far as aftermarket stuff goes it is completely stock, even the original cassette player. maybe you are right about the mileage, just seems like it would get better mpg than that. thanks
  • ggoinsggoins Posts: 57
    I would replace the battery, cables and connnectors.
    Oh, in that case, I am sure there is nothing out of the ordinary. There was a period of two weeks or so when I had to lend my car to someone else, and used only my 4Runner for daily driving - short commute, local errands, lots of short trips - and the mileage was abysmal. I had to fill up like two or three times and never got more than about 15.5 mpg, with a low of around 14.5 as I recall.

Mine was a 4WD, V-6, stick shift, 1990 model with the same powertrain as yours.

I traded up to a 2000 last year - whew, what a difference the 3.4 makes in available power, especially on the highway and at altitude! Does several points better for running fuel economy too - I'm averaging about 19.5 mpg.

• treitz1treitz1 Posts: 5
    I have a 1995 4 Runner. Diagnostic Code 71, shows EGR problem. Can I fix this myself? I don't want to sink a lot of repair money into this car, which runs good, but has 140k miles on it. Any thoughts? Thanks. tom