Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• iwangs04iwangs04 Posts: 22
    Wish that i can help and i don't know what EGR problem is. I have same year 4runner. Mine hasn't had this problem, but it has other issues. You may want to expand little more about the problem and perhaps someone may have come across with your problem.

Good luck
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Check the vacuum lines to the EGR valve before you go spending any money. Chances are, given the age, that one of them is cracked or broken, and replacing the hose may fix the problem.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I am also having the same issues with my new 4Runner. I have 400 miles on it and it the brakes have been buzzing/vibrating since I got it. Of course the dealer says they cannot duplicate the issue... I opened a case with Toyota and am working on the service manager next. Right when I thought Toyota's service and quality was better than the rest they disappoint me. I plan on taking this as far as I need to to get it fixed, I don't care if it costs them $2000 to fix, it is a brand new car!
  • Does anyone who has this problem live in the Irvine, CA area? Thanks
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    You're not going to like this, but...

They all do that. I believe what you are feeling is the electric pump for the brakes.
  • grahmmgrahmm Posts: 28
    Be sure and opt for the factory service contract if you decide to purchase one. The Toyota plan is excellent (I know from both sides/retired Toyota service manager + owner of Toyotas). After market plans might seem good and the finance people love to push them because of the hefty spiff they receive. The dealer will honor the Toyota plan without a concern while there are a lot of problems associated with some of the after market plans. Depending on location a "mom and pop" store can probably use the plan for covered repairs but why would you risk your transportation needs with a vendor usually using non factory parts and ill equipped from the knowledge side. Most shops are trying to fix many many brands and type of vehicle with a fly from the seat of the pants attitude and the results are not always what you would like. When I was younger I was a technical trainer for one of the countries largest automotive service providers. I switched to the dealer level and it was then I realized just how little the secondary service sector knew and right up until I retired last year it held completely true. I can take my vehicles anywhere that I would like to have work done at a discounted rate but I still take mine to a Toyota dealer. It does make a huge difference. All you have to do is see the difference year after year dealing with and trying to help other people who have opted to have things done the "cheap way" or gone to someone they thought knew what they were doing. I've seen too many engines/transmissions replaced from the quick lube "experts" along with countlees other horror stories fro independent garages. In an age when ASE certifications can be received by junior college students with no practical hands on experience it makes it hard for the consumer to judge.
  • ggoinsggoins Posts: 57
    anyone know why cars including the Runner have very dark driver and passenger window dark tinting. Dealer in AZ says they do not do it as here and in CA some DMV policy says not...but virtually every car I see has it....
  • uphill3uphill3 Posts: 2
    I purchased a used 2003 Toyota 4runner SR5 4x4 about a month ago. While driving, the brakes are squeaky on the right hand side of the vehicle when the brakes are not applied. When I apply the brakes the squeaking sound disappears and the brakes work perfectly. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer and there is plenty of brake pad and the rotors are not worn. Please advise.
  • I am trying to figure out how to depressurize the fuel system to replace my fuel filter in my 1995 V6 4 runner. I have a manual that says to disconnect to wiring harness from the fuel pump but doesn't tell me where it is. I've spent over an hour looking and need help.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    This is just a basic recommendation. Pull the fuse or battery cable as I believe the circuit might always be hot. This varies by manufacturer, but safety cannot be overlooked. Write down your radio presets if you pull the battery cable. The fuel pump is probably in the gas tank and you don't want to be messing with it. Removing the gas cap will release pressure, but it may be unnecessary as a vacuum may develop causing draining through the fuel line if the cap is opened and the filter is removed. My former 1986 Toy P/U had the fuel filter so well hidden it was just easier to pay a shop to do it, and I had to leave it there as repair shops won't work on it until the vehicle hasn't been run for several hours. When in doubt, job it out. :)
  • treitz1treitz1 Posts: 5
    That is what I thought too. Did not have time over the weekend, but I will post if I can fix it. thanks.

T
  • '93 4Rnr with Anti-Theft on cassette door. After 4 1/2 years the battery went dead causing the SEC light to light up on radio after replacing the battery. I set the code years ago but tried all my favorite 3 # PINs to no avail (even tried last 3 of VIN). Now radio says HELP. I was provided with 2 three digit codes that supposedly will unlock it but don't know key combo to get it past HELP display. Man, I can't remember stuff from last year --- much less from 5 years back! When entering the codes there is apparenty a 10 second time frame to do so -- I may have entered correct code but too slowly. Radio is worth maybe $20 so not worth dealer fix of $79. Has anyone reset code -- and can ya tell me how. Private message fine.
  • Does anybody have a copy of the TSB on rattling moonroofs on an 03 4 Runner? What does the dealer do to repair this rattle? Mine is out of warranty and I guess I will have to do it myself.
  • I have a question: Should one, as a matter of course, replace the timing belt tensioner when replacing the timing belt? The vehicle is question is a '97 4-runner V-6, mileage is right at 100k, timing components all original. I'm thinking it would be smart policy, but what does the maunal say?
    If the dealer has addressed chances are there is no hardware issue (contact with rotor as it rotates)or caliper issue of riding to tight on the rotor (the rotor would typically be discolored and a pull would probably be present). Semi-metallic pads are basically ceramic with bits of metal ingrained into the pad to provide the stopping power and longevity. Two possibilities:

1- The portion of the pad now wearing through is heavier in metallic content at that point causing the scraping noise you hear (mostly the cheaper the pads that have been installed the louder they can be/usually stopping power is ok).
    2- Sometimes in high humidity or wet conditions a patina rust can build up on the rotor as quickly as overnight, It can "sing" at slow speeds and give a slight "grind" type noise and slight slipping sensation on pedal application. It's annoying but not really problematical.
  • After bringing in my '06 2 times to the dealer, they claim it is design problem. The issue I am referring to is when you press the brake pedal 2 or 3 times, the accumulator pump "refills" and the pedal gets a nice vibration in it. If it is design, it is a very poor design.
    Anyway, just thought I would post this. Good luck on yours.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I would only replace it if it is getting noisy. The manual does not say to replace the tensioner automatically.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Thanks for the input! I'll handle it from here. See you next time....
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    c2computer: the dealer's explanation is the same as my understanding. It really is one of those "they all do that" things.
    It would sure beat replacing everything involved if the tensioner should fail and shred or drop the belt. That could be a huge problem for you.