Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bobgordonbobgordon Posts: 156
    Just traded in my '04 Highlander Limited for a '06 4Runner Sport 4X4.
    I did a search through edmunds.com and cannot find an answer;
    Where did Toyota put the dip stick to check the auto trans fluid?
    The owners manual doesn't mention anything about location of this so my fear is that Toyota has made this a "serviced only by dealer" operation.
    I hope not since I like to do my own maintenance.
    Any ideas???
    TIA
  • david49david49 Posts: 5
    Dosnt have one special fluid toy. said it is good for 100000 mi then change the fluid.
  • iontrapiontrap Posts: 138
    There is no dipstick on the 06 trannies, v6 and v8.
  • kirknkirkn Posts: 4
    Has anyone experienced or can anyone provide insight to a problem I am experiencing with my '06 Toyota 4-runner Sport Edition. Intermittently and after coming to a complete stop, I experience a clunk/pop feel and noise when releasing the breaks. It doesn't appear to be a break system problem, but is either transmission/drive line or suspension related. I can't seem to put my finger on the cause or for that matter the actual effect. To further explain, it almost sounds and feels like the result of a worn "u" joint.
  • robm2robm2 Posts: 53
    My check engine, TRAC and VSC lights came on in my '04 4-Runner V8.

Diagnosis revealed a system leak. They claim the gas cap was loose, (which I seriously doubt, but whatever), but that didn't solve the problem. They also did a smoke test and found a big leak from the "charcoal canister", that a "chunk from the canister was found to be missing, and that it had "a big hole."

This was a $500 part that was replaced under warranty, however, what the heck is a charcoal canister, and why would a chunk of it be missing, leaving a big hole?
    The charcoal canister is part of the emission system, EVAP. It, in short, is tied between your intake system and gas tank. It will absorb or hold excess gas vapors so they are not released into the atmosphere and then are burned when needed.
    Since this (charcoal canister) is mounted in a low location, it is very possible and likely that a hole or "chunk" could happen. Due to a rock or other road debris.

BTW, it is important that when you gas up, tighten your gas cap completely as a loose cap WILL cause a fault and thus turning "on" your check engine light.

Hope this helped! :)
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Posts: 133
    There have been numerous posts regarding a driveline "thump." It normally happens just after coming to a stop or just after releasing the breaks to get started again. The fix: have the dealership lube the slip yoke. I had the exact same problem you describe (04, SR5, V8)...and this completely took care of the problem. Good luck!
  • kirknkirkn Posts: 4
    Many thanks for the tip! I'll have the dealer do just as you recommend. One other issue I am experiencing is when the vehicle tranverses over minoir bumps I experience a hollow, but significant noise that seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. I read an earlier message that pointed out a "body mount" defect? Any insight?
    I've read the earlier posts regarding the exhaust noise generated during acceleration/load.
    I've noticed on my 2006 4Runner that the exhaust manifold does appear to be rather "thin" thus producing the exhaust tapping noise.

I'm curious to know if anyone has taken their 4Runner or other Toyota vehicle with the V6 engine to the dealer and what they said/did. I plan on driving another '06 4Runner this weekend and will see if it produces the same sound.

Or if anyone has fixed (replaced) the manifold, what you used?
    Thanks!
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    while i could see it causing the ECU to toss a CEL, i'm having a hard time believing the VSC and TRAC lights would come on for that (unless the car was bucking violently).
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Posts: 133
    Can you describe the noise with a little more detail? Is it a type of "clanging" when you hit a pothole? Also, can you hear it with the windows up or only when the windows are down? Since new, mine has made a clanging type (metallic) noise when it hits a pothole. I can only hear it when the windows are down. I cannot tell you what it is...but I can tell you that I have been in several new model 4Runners, and the Lexus equivalents, and they have all made the same noise. I have not worried about it as the vehicle has been flawless since new and I don't want to "fix" what isn't broken.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    I have noticed a clanging noise ONLY when the sun/moon roof is opened all the way intermittently... I have a 2006 Toyota 4Runner LTD V8 4WD... anyone else has experienced this... is this normal???
    While I agree that the only light that should come on is the MIL, anything is possible with the OBD II generation. Maybe there were other factors or conditions.
    And I doubt that the car was bucking violently due to a hole/crack in a charcoal canister.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    I had the same issue. I lubed the driveshaft zerk and the trouble was cured. Lately, I'm getting pinging while running 87 octane, so now I'm using 89 octane. I'd never heard it before til I took a short slow drive at 25mph with the windows down. I couldn't hear it with the windows up. Brand of gas makes no difference. Needless to say, I'm disappointed. This just started. I have a 2003 V6 with 20,000 miles. I'll followup if necessary.
    You might want to try and clean your injectors.
    Purchase a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner (at Target or auto parts store). Run your tank near empty and add this (per instructions) and fill with a good premium gas; Amoco Ultimate works well. Run that tank near empty, then fill with a 87 octane.
    Also, if a majority of your driving is city, take your 4Runner out on the highway and "open it up". City driving can cause deposits to form in the combustion chamber and cause a "ping" or pre-detonation condition.
    Good luck!
  • lynx50lynx50 Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if Valvoline Oil Change Shops are able to install the correct oil filter on a 2005 4Runner with V8 engine. Also do they have to remove the skid plate to access the oil filer and drain plug? Thanks.
  • grahmmgrahmm Posts: 28
    ALWAYS stick with the factory oil filter even if you have to buy one and bring it in. Toyota has engineered the oil filter for your engine. At your oil change shop your going to get the cheapest help and the best filter they can buy for maybe a whole dollar. I wouldn't chance it. You'll proabably find the dealer price about the same as the jiffy lubes. The quick lube outfits can do a lot of damage. Seen it time after time.
  • robm2robm2 Posts: 53
    The car was sitting in a parking lot, started it up, and all three lights came on.

While I don't doubt that a loose gas cap can cause the check-engine light to come on, what I seriously doubt is that "I" left the gas cap loose, hence I thought it had to be something else.

Either way, it was fixed under warranty, (otherwise a $750 bill). I also took the opportunity to get the slip yoke and propeller shaft lubricated.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    this is a test right? April Fools was the day before your post.

what is a slip yoke and propellar shaft? ???

all your lights probably do go on for a moment when you start your engine (how else would you know the indicator was working), but then should immediately go out.

i'm honestly confused by your post. what does the repair bill say they fixed?
  • duke15duke15 Posts: 161
    I have a 2002 4Runner and the door seals on the back passenger doors keep coming loose and hanging down. Back when it was still under warranty the dealer replaced both seals, but they are doing it again. Is there any fix for this, or certain glue that can keep the seals in place?

Thanks