Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lazzarichlazzarich Posts: 37
    Agreed on the Toyota filter. Stay far away from fast oil changes. Jiffy cost me 2 transmissions, a transfer case and probably an engine when I was young and foolish (gullible).
  • kirknkirkn Posts: 4
    No, it's not a clanging noise. It's most noticable with the windows up and I can best describe it as a low pitch, hollow thud or series of thuds, when moving over small irregularities in the road (seams, small bumps, debris, etc.). I thought at first the rear door was not latched properly, or possibly one of the rear passenger doors was ajar or even the spare tire was loose, but neither was the case. It is very odd! It is possible that a body mount or two is loose or defective toward the aft section of the vehicle.
    I have a 2005 4Rnr V8 Sport Edition 4WD (30k)with the OEM Dunlops. Are there any recommendations on a replacement tire. I have heard that the Bridgestone Revos are a good alternate. Traditionally I have used Michelin LTX. Most of my driving is freeway with occasional snow and mild offroad use. Thanks for the help.
  • david49david49 Posts: 5
    3M weather strip adhesive is made just for that,get it at a good auto parts store.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    I got Revo's last month. But the stiff tires are rattling the fillings out of my mouth. I can watch my rearview mirror vibrate while driving on these tires. I have the SR5 suspension. The Sport suspension or Limited's air suspension would ride differently.

The Revo's have only tackled rain, and have done so admirably. But I feel like I'm riding in a paint can shaker, even though the tires are aired at minimum 32psi. These are 'P' tires, not 'LT' tires. I feel every imperfection in the road. And yes, the tires are balanced and track straight.

I didn't think much of the Cross Terrain tread pattern, but I was looking at LTX MS 255/70/17 which would be a close fit for the stock 265/65/17 tires.

Unless my Revo's break-in and soften the stiffness over the next several thousand miles, I'll probably opt for the Michelins next time around. I may lose some traction, but I'll probably have a nicer ride. BTW, the factory Dunlops I had also took several thousand miles to get comfortable.
    Thanks for the quick response. I personally have not had a problem with the Dunlop's and will probably get 50k from them. I was just wandering if there was anything significantly better ito comfort/handling.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    50,000 will be a first for Dunlops around here. Mine lasted 20,000. I haven't had the Revo's long enough to answer your followup any more than my initial impressions. On reviews I've read, the Michelin owners were happiest about comfort and treadwear. But where traction was paramount, Revo owners bragged the most, although they equally complained about treadwear.

If you want comfort and handling, Cross Terrains are probably for you. If you want an LTX tire, you'll have to change tire size (spare too).
  • ggoinsggoins Posts: 57
    I have the Michelins LTX M/S on my 97.Very nice tires...smooth on the highway and the best tire I have seen in heavy rain. Not a lot of experience in snow. Have 20K on them now still with much of the original tread.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    The revo is optimized for offroad traction. If you're looking for onroad comfort and handling, I'd cross the Revos off your list.
    Sounds like the best option is one of the Michelin's. I had LTX on an Isuzu and Cross Terrain on a Montero so am familiar with them. Will report back on the life of the Dunlops, but 50K seems easily within reach.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    "I personally have not had a problem with the Dunlop's and will probably get 50k from them."

Not gonna happen!
    Not unless your driving on sponge cake..... ;)
    Got 31k already with at least 7 mm left on all four tires on my Dunlops.
  • duke15duke15 Posts: 161
    I replaced the stock Bridgstones on my 2002 4Runner with the Michelin's. The Bridgestones that I had one there would slip in the rain from time to time - if I gave it too much gas going from a stop, and I needed to put the truck in 4 wheel drive if there was more than 2 inches of snow on the ground. The Michelin's don't slip for me, and I have driven in 8 inches of snow in 2 wheel drive with them. They are the best tires I have ever owned.
  • yujinyujin Posts: 6
    just got my new 4runner a week ago and enjoying the scent of a new car. i noticed the funny smell when i turn on the AC. this started yesterday. has anyone had this problem? any inputs why this happened? how can i fix this without using any car freshner?
  • maxlessmaxless Posts: 9
    2003 4x4 SR5 V8. 43,000 trouble-free miles. Tows my 17' boat with ease. 19 mpg on the highway if speed is 70 mph or less. Only issue is the soft material utilized on the dash, doors, etc. This material seems to scratch easily. Has anyone found a cleaner, polish, etc. that hides these marks? I don't want the bright, shining look that you get from Armor All. Something with much less sheen would be preferred. Recommendations?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,916
    Guess it depends on the smell. Since your car is new, all sorts of materials are outgassing. Plus there's often a protective coating sprayed underneath the car for transport and that stuff may be burning off the muffler and getting sucked into the A/C vents. It may go away by itself in two or three weeks.

For sulfur smells, see this recent post:

agnosto, "Sulfur from 2003 4Runner" #822, 10 Apr 2006 5:04 am

But since it's related to the A/C, check for mold, odor or dead critter posts in the Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    Ok, good news, there is no issue as the dealer told me it is speed sensitive and the sun roof wind deflector lowers when the vehicle reaches over 55mph and raises back up when speed of the vehicle drops down to 45mph.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Posts: 156
    I've seem the instructions for re-programing the remote to open "all" doors with just one push of the "unlock" button but I can't find them.

Anyone know how to do it for an '06 4Runner Sport?

Thanks!
  • kreuzerkreuzer Posts: 113
    Can anyone direct me to where I can find replacement interior moldings (besides the dealership) for my 4Runner?
    The part I'm looking for is one of the rear seat plastic coverings that cover the seat bolts on the floor. The dealership wants $24.00 + tax. Is there a reliable website or alternative store where I could find a replacement? Thanks all!
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Posts: 130
    I have used partznet and have had good luck...

http://conicelliautoplex.com/partznet.aspx