Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    I had the problem before, but not with my 4Runner. It happened twice before I figured it out. My former Chevy K1500 extra-cab had front and rear floor mats that were very similar. I unintentionally reversed them after cleaning the vehicle. For whatever reason, movement of my feet had bunched up the floor mat at the accelerator. Then when braking, I apparently dragged my heel enough to stick the accelerator with the floor mat. The first time I got lucky and had no one near me, but it scared the unowhat out of me and I did not figure out what caused the unintended acceleration. The second time, thanks to a friends advice, I killed the ignition without locking it, and luckily I again came out accident free. But I was petrified as this occured twice in 30 days.

That's when I noticed the bunched up floor mat. I reversed the front and rear floormats and never had another problem. Don't know why, but the rear mat would slide whereas the front mat stayed put. I surmise this is why Toyota puts floor mat hooks on the driver's floorboard.

So my question is, are you using factory floor mats and the retaining hooks? That's all I can speculate. I hope you get this figured out, as I'd bet you'll be on edge for awhile when hitting the brakes.
  • ggoinsggoins Posts: 57
    I am planning a trip to Northern Alaska and wanted to get ideas for carrying extra gas as well if anyone has outfitted an 04 with spot lights and wench would appreciate any tips... thanks.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    How northern? If you stay on the road(s), there's gas all the way to Prudhoe. Get a copy of the Milepost (milepost.com) and it'll tell you where all the gas stations are, even in the boonies.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Thanks. North along the 1 to Fairbanks then off road to the East. planning is in progress.... just don't want to run out of gas so I thought to carry 2 five gallon (somewhere). Also a wench for trouble could be helpful...one never knows.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,013
    If you run out of gas on the road system someone will stop (it may take an hour or three for the next vehicle to come along, but people are helpful in the boonies). Carrying gas anywhere but in the car's tank just seems like a bomb waiting to go off.

No one calls the highways by number up there btw - the "1" is the Glenn Highway. Except it's the Seward south of Anchorage. I think; never learned the numbers when I lived up there. :shades:

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

thanks....good point.will check with my army buddies. they seem to do it safely.no worries.
  • lesm1lesm1 Posts: 1
    I have also have the no A/C blink light. The service garage replaced the solar sensor and it worked for 3 miles. They then replaced the compressor and it still turns off. Sometimes I can turn off the engine and it will restert. Ant solutions here. Thank you. Les
  • hkyhky Posts: 71
    My ac light was blinking with no ac several months back, the dealer replaced the relay and since then it's working fine.
  • drex1drex1 Posts: 41
    My 2003 4Runner (6-cyl) just started some fairly loud squeaking (chirping) from the area of the accessory drive belt. It does this when the engine is relatively cold. Any ideas? I just had the belt replaced about 2000 miles ago.
  • drex1drex1 Posts: 41
    My '03 4Runner (6-cyl) has always made a slight clicking noise from the engine. I am told this is just how the 4Runner sounds and it is from the fuel injectors. The 4Runner has about 33K miles and the clicking sound has increased in volume(at least I think so). The dealer says this is normal fuel injector noise. Any ideas of why the sound has increased at 33K miles? Also, should I do anything about this or just leave things be?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 382
    I have the same problem, and to me it sounds more like an exhaust leak, but you are right, it is the injectors. My neighbor swears it's an exhaust leak, since it can be heard from 40ft or more away.

I'm living with it, at least until the day before the warranty expires. This is about the loudest vehicle for interior noise I've ever owned, and like you, I've noticed everything getting louder as the vehicle ages, and I'm slightly deaf.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Posts: 156
    You both are correct...
    Most of what you are hearing is in fact the injectors opening and closing but under a load, it's also an exhaust noise from the exhaust manifolds.

My '06 V6 4Runner has a terrible exhaust noise under load; between 2000 and 2700 rpm.

Toyota has a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for '05-'06 V6 for the Tundra with this very problem. It is an exhaust manifold replacement with a newer style manifold to remedy this problem. Toyota won't cover my '06 due to the fact that "not enough people have complained about it" for the 4 Runner.
    What's strange is that the exact same motor that is in the Tundra (V6) is in the 4 Runner.

Not to worry, I'm not done with Toyota on this! Call customer service and if enough people [non-permissible content removed] about it, they'll listen. Toyota Customer Service; 1-800-331-4331.
  • spacemt6spacemt6 Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2003 4Runner that was doing the same thing. The dealership is replacing the tensioner that would produce loud chirping on a cold startup but wouldn't be heard if the car had been running for awhile. The dealership told me that there was potential for the tensioner to cease up and the truck would not be driveable. Have it checked out!
  • I have almost the same problems with my 1997 4-Runner. Has yours been fixed?
  • Mine did same thing --- it was a dark green plastic (or nylon) washer about side of 1/2 dollar at base of the shifter. It was broken --- replace and shifted great. Was like $5 and took 1/2 hour. I also replace trans oil with Valvoline Synthetic too.
  • Isn't there a (Special Service Campaign) SSC for the expansion valve? --- was on both my '90 and '93. Dealer evacuated, replace vavle and refilled no charge (FREE) --- when 4Rnr was 10 years old. Check under TSB/Recall on Alldata to see if it covers your year.
  • Thanks but I am having the problem with the electrical. Windows, Sun roof, air conditioner, gauges, and alternator are not working.
  • Could the return cyinder be bad on my 99 runner the pedal sometimes stays on the floor I need to know how to diagnoses this problem.
  • moto7moto7 Posts: 13
    Love my new 06 Sport V6, but i'm a little bothered by the Cruise Control over-revving on very slight hills. Unlike my other cars that smoothly accelerate slightly, The 4R appears to shift out of overdrive on mild inclines,increasing RPM about 10K. To me this is not efficient for MPG. I know it's not for lack of power 'cause when not in CC it takes only slight acceleration, with only 1-2K RPM increase, to maintain speed. I wonder if there's a CC adjustment Toyota Service can do?
  • robm2robm2 Posts: 53
    I've got a 2004 SR5 V8, with the 17" wheels and tire pressure monitoring system. I'd like to add a 2nd set of wheels, and I'm wondering if I need special rims, or also have to purchase a special kit, to have the tire pressure monitor on the new set of wheels.