Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Repairs cost more than the car is worth!!

124»

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,178
    Blue book value for my '88 Park Avenue is probably somewhere near worthless, but everything now works on the car and should be good for the forseeable future. The car runs well and all accessories still operate. All that is wrong is that it has a few faded paint spots. The interior is still in great condition. On one hand, I felt stupid for throwing that much money into such an old car. On the other, it's still cheaper than buying another car. Sure, I could go out and get another $1K-$2K beater, but who knows what kind of problems that vehicle would have? At least I know what to expect from my current ride.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,405
    but everything now works on the car and should be good for the forseeable future.

Ouch!! You just doomed it!!
    Is that the death nell I'm hearing?
    ;b

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• fezofezo Posts: 9,355
    Yeah. Knock on dashboard.

Lemko - I for one think you are doing the right thing. You like the car and a repair on it is only a payment or two on something newer. I envy your willpower.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    I sold my 89 Pontiac Bonneville with 145,000 miles, same car as Lemko's park ave, for 650 dollars two years ago. :blush:
  • asafonovasafonov Posts: 373
    I sold my 89 Pontiac Bonneville with 145,000 miles, same car as Lemko's park ave, for 650 dollars two years ago.

I think it means one is finally getting depreciation-free miles out of his/her car, only paying for gas/repairs/insurance. I would probably not hesitate to put 2000 in a car worth less than that if I owned it since new or nearly new.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    If that Tablet is something called an AutoLogic, try $10,500.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,073
    I did the same thing on an old Chrylser Laser with the 2.2 turbocharged motor. It would burn oil when ever the oil level was full and after it burned down the 1 qt low marked, the smoke out the tail pipe was significantly less.
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,073
    I am trying to get that into my wife's head... an engine or a tranny might cost more than the car is worth, but even a couple of grand for a major item, if it keeps the car on the road for several thousand more miles is cheaper than buying another vehicle...

unless you always buy 2K cars and I know people who get along just fine doing that. They buy 1 oe 2K vehicles and when they poop, they dump it and buy another one.
124»
This discussion has been closed.