Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pickup Owners Hangout

Comments

• wise1wise1 Posts: 90
    ny water or condensation in the dist. cap could be a problem. I have an 1986-1/2 pickup with the 2.4i engine and would like to know if any of you have had a problem with the engine not downshifting when you floor it for passing?? It's an automatic tranny of course but it bucks like a wild horse when you try to pass a slower vehicle. This truck only has 70000. miles on it and it was my late fathers truck so I'm trying to get things worked out little by little. Also what brand of brake shoes work well on this truck?? The brakes squeel when they are applied. :confuse: :confuse:
  • The truck that I have has recently began having severe power problems under 30 mph. It feels like it is starved for fuel, but it idles fine and revs up and down fine. But when it is in gear (auto transmission) it will barley move along at all until it reaches 30 then it takes off. This tells me that it is not plugs or wires. It is also intermittent. Under 30 mph it will barely climb hills or even go up slight inclines. Any thoughts?
  • It could be a timing chain that has jumped a few notches on the camshaft sprocket.
    Remove the valve cover and check the front sprocket on the valve cam, You should see a DOT on the cam near one of the teeth. At that point there should be an odd colored link in the timing chain that matches up with the DOT, If not the chain has probably jumped. This will require removing the front of the engine and installing a NEW timing chain kit.

Good Luck!
    Gary
  • That seems to be a major issue for this engine. I am puzzled as to why the problem is an issue only at low speeds and only intermittently, because once it reaches 30 mph it takes off like a rabbit. Thanks for the input.
  • My '86 Nissan King Cab truck has a strange problem with the passenger side headlights. When the regular lights are on, the light on that side is slightly dimmer than the one on the driver's side. When I turn on the brights, the bright headlight on that side doesn't come on at all, and the dim light on that side becomes so dim that one must look carefully to see that it is lit any at all. The lights on the driver's side are behaving normally. Any ideas about what could be wrong and/or how to fix this problem?
  • Hi,anyone know where I might find an intake manifold for 1989 nissan,2.4 pickup
    TIA
  • What brake fluid is best?
  • If you want a new one you might have to get it from a dealer. I've got parts on the internet from Courtesy, but I don't know if they have the best price on an intake manifold. NAPA and similar auto stores have some of the parts that connect to the manifold.
  • Thanks for responding,I,ll check it out.Used is fine,best price I got so far is $200,
    Dealer is outrageous,claiming they don't build them anymore.I don't want to spend more than the truck is worth.
    Merry Christmas
  • I have a 1989 Nissan truck 4cyl that needs a auto trans will a 1993 240z work . What will? Please email stroudbruce@yahoo.com.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    I wouldn't be too concerned out what brake fluid you choose for your '96 Frontier unless you're racing it. Check your owner's manual to confirm DOT3 or DOT4 (or either). DOT5 is synthetic I think.
  • I have a leak in my fuel tank and need too take the tank off. Does anyone know the procedure in doing this? Does the bed have to be removed?
    Thanks!
  • I need a auto trans for a 1989 Nissan truck 4cyl col. shift. I have little money. Do's any body have one or know where i can get one? Email stroudbruce@yahoo.com or call 661-717-4667.
    Thanks Bruce
  • sethseth Posts: 2
    I have a 92 nissan truck 4wd. 4 cylinder that I am having problems with. Sometimes the truck will sputter and not go at all when it reaches curtain rpms. (manual transmission) It only does it sometimes. It will run fine for days then all of a sudden start doing it again. Sometimes when I turn it off and start it back up it will run fine. I have replaced the fuel filter i thought it might have been something with the fuel. But i cant figure out what it is. What can this be?
    Thanks
  • Just curious if you've noticed any correlation between the problems you've encountered and the weather, particularly high humidity?
  • sethseth Posts: 2
    no not weather wise. but the truck always runs fine in the morning after sitting over night
  • MY 1995 NISSAN P/U, 4CYL. 5 SPEED WILL NOT TURN OVER WHEN I PRESS IN THE CLUTCH. ANY HELP APPRECIATED
  • I would bet it is the starter relay. It should be located on the passenger side in the engine bay.

Regards !!
    Gary
    Your truck has a clutch interlock switch that prevents starting when the clutch is not pressed in. Perhaps the switch has gone bad. If so, the engine won't turn whatsoever. You will be able to find the switch easily near the clutch pedal. Unplug the connector, hook an ohmmeter to the switch and work it. If the meter doesn't register continuity in one position, it's your switch and it'll be a piece of cake to replace. Good luck.
  • I have a 1993 Nissan 4X4 pickup. How do I change the tail light bulb???
    I do not have a repair manual and I don't see any screws to take the lens off.
    Thanks a bunch.
  • 8ball28ball2 Posts: 9
    In my case it's behind my bed liner. If you don't have one, it's real easy. If you look inside of the back of your bed, right behind the tail lights, there are two bolts. They maybe painted the same as your bed, so look carefully. Remove both bolts and the whole light assembly comes off. Now you can just twist each light socket to remove the bulb.
  • Thank you for the reply. I have a bedliner also. Do I have to take the bedliner out to get to the bolts???
  • 8ball28ball2 Posts: 9
    Well, in my case I'm able to pry the liner back. It's kind of difficult to do by yourself, depending on how lose fitting it is by the tailgate. Otherwise, you might want to just remove it. Good luck
  • ultimaultima Posts: 96
    Might be a stooooooopud question, but here goes...

I have an 1987 Nissan Hardbody Truck (2WD, Z24 Engine) as a second vehicle I keep around for projects and such and use my car (a Nissan Altima 3.5 V6) for work.

So here's my question... is there a way to ADD power-steering to the truck?

It's not a big deal for me to drive the truck (have always been able to handle the truck not having power-steering over the years), but my girlfriend has a VERY hard time driving it... turning the wheels while the truck is at a stand-still (manuvering in and out of the store parking lots, for example) and I was hoping there was a way to add power-steering to it to make it easier on her when she needs to use it.

Anyone know if this is possible? And if so, could you advise what would be involved in doing this... even what something like this might cost?

Thanks in advance!!!

:)
  • RockZRockZ Posts: 1
    Just had new starter, new OEM cables positive and negative from battery to starter sparkplugs,wires,and distributor cap,and rotor,and fuel filter replaced,and the truck still has a delay,or it won't start when I turn the Ignition.

Wondering if I need new ignition and is there something else it could be??

Please any help thankyou.
  • Check the starting RELAY. It is located in the engine compartment passenger side about a foot up from the firewall.
    I just went throught the same sanario and it turned out to be a faulty relay......

Good Luck!
    Gary
  • I have the exact same problem with my 95 2.4. my alternator went bad about 6 mo. ago, so i took my starter off and had a guy rebuild my alt. and check my starter because of the starting issue, he said starter was just fine. I had already replaced the battery, cleaned terminals, and i was going to replace the pos. terminal because it looked like there was some corrosion in the wire, and i figured that could be part of the problem. Friday I talked to a mechanic at nissan and I had him explain how to replace it and keep the fusable links intact. I started it up for him so he could see the sluggish starting, and he also suggested that i check my timing. I put a meter on it and checked the voltage drop while starting and it went down to 10.4 V, he said it should never get below 10.6, but even that seems really low. I also ohm'd out the ground wire, and it had quite a bit of resistance, the starting got noticably better when i used my jumper cables and ran it from the neg. term. to the motor. Well fri. night i got in my truck and it was dead, and jumping it didn't help so i push started it to get home. The clutch/inhibit relay clicks and everything goes out (radio..never lost presets, dome), the volt. drop is only .2V just enough for relay to click, i also swapped it arround with the A/C realy to be sure it was fine. At this point i'm out of ideas, and I'll probably just have to take it to nissan and pay the damn money...I HATE vehicle problems. Any one got any more ideas?
  • So today I talked to a guy I work with that used to be mechanic at nissan, and he said its common for some bushing or something to wear out because when it engages the starter it arcs and that causes it to wear away, and one way to tell if this is happening is to quickly keep trying to start the vehicle, and that will make the brass (or copper or whatever it is) piece to slip a bit farther down and let it make contact and start, then I would know it was my starter. So I tried this on my truck, but just my luck not a damn thing happened, so I figured what the hell I'll take my starter off one more time even though he said it was good 6 months ago, and have it tested again. It was every bit the b!7(# I remember, 1.5 hours later its out and I'm on my way to Advance Auto, where as luck would have it the starter did nothing! So now I know that the starter was bad, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to install it to see if I still have the dead battery symptom at startup, if so then i'm taking it to nissan because that could be what killed the starter, if not then I know it was the problem. :D
  • I've owned this truck 11 years and have about 300,000 miles on it.

A few questions for my fellow Nissan Truck afficianados

I Changed the transfer case a couple of years ago. At that time I made sure the reverse sensor switch on the tranny was in working order but my Backup lights just won't work - or they'll work for a microsecond when I put it in reverse, then go out. What to do??? I thought the little piston on the sensor wasn't long enough but I compared it to replacement switches and they're the same. Any advice???

Next - I'm getting ready to replace the timing belt - how do I know when my motor is on Top Dead Center??? Any ideas about immobilizing the cam and drive shafts before I remove the old belt???

Also, I heard that removing the lower drive shaft pully is part of the job and that it's a real [non-permissible content removed] to remove - any truth to this?

Lastly, my steering seems kinda loose sometime - especially when I'm on asphalt highway with ruts and when I jack it up it's easy to move the front wheels right to left. Is it loose? Remember the age of this thing. Or is it suppose to be a little loose so there's less wear and tear when your 4-wheeling?

Thanks

G-Man
    As for the back-up lights, disconnect the switch and put an ohmmeter on the switch leads. If the switch is good, you ought to see the meter move as you shift into and out of reverse. No need to run the engine of course.