Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Definitely 4 seats. That's one of the reasons they couldn't use the dew98 platform - not stiff enough. The Tbird uses extra reinforcement behind the seats but since the mustang is a 4 seater they couldn't do that.
  • It is a valid point that a large percentage of the public has no idea about the new Mustang, or any other car for that matter. But I don't consider potential "buyers" to be a part of that group. Take me for example. In 1998 I began shopping for a new car. My criteria was:
    1. A V-8
    2. Automatic Transmission
    3. It had to be a Car. No trucks, SUV's.

It took me a year to finaly buy because I wanted to see the "new" 99 Mustang. I did not want to risk buyers remorse. I also knew that if I did NOT like the new 99 Mustang there would be PUH-LENTY of 98's to pick and choose from at discounted prices. I bought the 99. Glad I waited.

I wasn't even a Mustang nut at the time. I could've bought a Camaro. And would have had the Chivvy dealer been willing to go 2% over invoice. (The Ford Dealer did)

Anyway all I'm saying is that I was part of the General public until it came time to plunk down a wad of hard earned cash. Then I became a part of the "buying" public.

About the GTO. Saw it at both the California and the LA Auto Shows. If all you want is a big engine and don't care what it's wrapped in, then this is your car. For my tastes it was very bland on the outside.

Strangley enough, It's been five years since I bought my 99, and although there are now more cars available with V-8's, the Mustang is still the only "affordable" one around. When I saw the Chevy SSR I thought wow, this thing is gonna steal some Mustang Thunder. When I heard the Chevy Spokeman spout $42 grand as the sticker, I thought WOW! Chevy blows it again! So for now it looks like, as in '65 Mustang has an "open field".
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    I really feel like the SSR is going down the exact same road the T-bird did. Those are DEEPLY discounted these days. You think Chevy would see the error of Ford's ways and alter their strategy for this car. Or they could just say, "we intended from the start to make this car a short production run of x years." lol

Maybe they think they will bank on the SSR's 300 hp?

Not with an attractive 300 hp 25k Mustang right around the corner.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    big difference is the SSR is SLOW and HEAVY. Really not anywhere near Mustang territory, even if it was the same price as a Mustang. All that power means nothing when the darn thing weighs well over 2 tons. The Tbird and SSR is a much closer comparison.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I think you are overestimating the buying public's interest in cars and car news. I think the vast majority of people who go into a Ford dealer to buy a new mustang will have no clue there is a new one around the corner, and the dealers definitely won't tell them. I think we, as enthusiasts, are in the minority.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    I'm with akirby on this one. But even if the general public is aware of the upcoming Mustang (which I don't think it is, if only because it HASN'T BEEN ON TV YET...for most people, this is their source of car info), I don't think it's going to destroy sales of the current gen. like some predict.

Re the other topic, I've yet to see an SSR in person. Is it out yet?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,895
    As far as I understand, it is out. I have seen folks selling "real, in stock" ones. Saw one one of those classified ads in the rear of one of the trade mags (I think autoweek) and, IIRC, it had an asking price of $50K+. I'm sure there are some on ebay, too.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    Hey guys, I have to admit that Mustangs haven't done anything for me in a long while. I had an old '66 Mustang when I was in high school that I loved. I partially restored it and just really learned to love that car as I worked on it.

That said, I haven't liked any of the Mustang's styling efforts since the 1970 version (and even then, I'm not wild about where they removed the 69's headlights). And I absolutely hate the current (SN95 is it?) version. Just way too boy racer styled for my taste (I really despise 47, non-functioning scoops, but that's just me). Not saying anyone's wrong for liking it, just that it just isn't my thing.

However, this new "retro" Mustang (with a decent quality interior it seems) really has me interested. This new one really captures a lot of the styling cues from the various 60's models and little things here and there really remind me of my 1966 coupe on the inside. Oddly enough, I was looking at probably something on the order of a BMW 3 series/Audi A4 as my next car, but this Mustang has me really interested. Might have to give up the extra set of doors and go with my heart.

If this car drives well (I did see it still has the solid-rear axle), is well built, and the interior doesn't look like it is made of recycled defective Legos, Ford just might have a sale from somebody who'd had written of Mustangs (and the other Pony cars) long ago. Good job Ford. Wonder if I'm the only one of the non-pony car guys it will attract, or there will be more.

By the way, rereading this I probably make myself sound older than I am. I'm 28.
    I drive a Lincoln LS and would definitely consider a mustang for my next vehicle. GT convertible most likely.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    "Might have to give up the extra set of doors and go with my heart."

Exactly! With a 6 week old baby it was a tough decision to make right now too. I could be zooming around in a brand new, and practical, Mazda3 or Mazda6 in a month or two but the '05 Mustang started tugging at my heart strings again when I saw the pictures.

The fat lady started singing when she heard that tune! ;)
    Funny, but the Mazda 6, and even the new Mazda 3 5-door hatchback are on my list of things to check out. Kinda all over the map style wise, but the new Mustang is really pulling at the old heart-strings.
  • I just purchased my 2002 GT, 5-speed manual, convertible in September (used with 9,000 miles). I simply ADORE my car. I bullied my poor husband into buying this car and I haven't regretted it for a second. It is TOTALLY not practical for a mom with kids ages 5 and 9, but so what? LOL!

Now, I'm drooling over the 2005. Will I be rushing right out in the fall to get one. Unfortunately, no....the little bit of practical-ness that's left in me will restrain me for a couple of years. Besides which, we rarely buy anything brand spanking new off the lot anymore. Let someone else take the depreciation and I'll then buy it from a reputable local dealer who will warranty it for a decent timeframe / mileage range.

My 2002 turns heads like nothing I've driven before. (Well with the exception of the GMC one-ton dually I used to drive...many people found it odd to see a 5ft woman driving the thing.) An old boyfriend from my teens turned me onto muscle cars from the day he drove up in the 55 Chevy Bel Air he and his father restored. That was followed by a 66 Chevelle and a then a 67 Mustang. I had my own "hot rod" for my own first car: 1972 Olds Cutlass. My other dream car is an early 70's 442.

The 2005 will turn even more heads, in my not so humble opinion. So, this Mustang fan (who admits very little tech knowledge) who knows what she likes when she sees it and drives it, will simply be biding my time until I can have one of these babies in my driveway. I've gotta couple of years to decide between torch red and yellow. And of course, it must be a rag top.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Your husband had to be bullied into getting a Mustang GT?! :-)
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    I have driven both a Mazda6 V6 auto and an I4 5-speed. Both were very nice cars for the money. If I were going to buy one now I'd go with either engine coupled with the 5-speed tranny. The auto tranny just didn't do it for me in that car.

I have not driven a Mazda3 yet but I have been to the dealer to see one in person. Looks good but the one I'd want stickers around $20,000.

When you consider that a new Mustang GT coupe should be about $23k - $24k and have a V8, the Mazda's don't seem as appealing anymore. Especially if you were going to "settle" for either one to begin with like I was.

I also drove an '03 Focus SVT. That car was pretty awesome! I was really close to buying it last month because after our trade-in, X-Plan discount, and rebates it would have been about $12,000. So don't rule one of those out either. You gotta hurry if you want one though.
    I currently own 2 focuses (foci?), but before I get pigeonholed, I'm not a Ford fan (or hater for that matter). Just needed some affordable, fun to drive transportation. Really like those and loved the SVT Focus, could have used a few more ponies in my opinion, but a great car nonetheless. Too bad Ford's killing it.

Back on to the 2005 Mustang, I guess I should mention that I've always loved 60's cars (well not all of them!) even though I was born in '75. So this probably is also why the new Mustang appeals to me visually inside and out. Really glad to see this change up in style by Ford, because on it's previous course, I doubt I'd ever buy a Mustang. This new one really intrigues me. I really hope this car drives well. Won't have to be like a SVT Focus, but well enough. I did like how the old Fox-bodied 302 motored Mustangs went in a straight line, but always felt like they were a truck wearing a coupes' body. Hoping the new Mustang's more refined in the suspension category despite the solid axle in the back.
  • I'm in the same boat as seminole kev, above. I've been looking at a bunch of cars for purchase in the next year and the new mustang could make me give up 2 doors. Ford could really hook me if the interior is truly nice, the car is put together Honda tight, and if they offered the v-8 with an understated minimal spoiler adorned body. Something along the lines of the Bullit. I'm no boy racer, and I don't want to look like one. We'll see, but Detroit's taste never fails to disappoint me when I finally stop by the dealer to look.
    so I've been told. Good, hate spoilers!
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    I have high hopes for the new Mustang. I had never owned a 4 door until my current Lincoln LS and would really like to get back into a more expressive higher-performance coupe. Although the Lincoln LS has been a great car, it hasn't provided me the pride of ownership that I enjoyed with my old '87 5.0 or my '90 T-bird SC.

One thing, though, that will be important to me is a higher level of refinement than we have seen from Mustangs in the past. I am talking about interior fit and finish, lower wind and road noise, and a general higher level of quality than the current version. Little things like using struts to hold up the hood rather than a prop-rod and perhaps the optional availability of heated seats would be important to me.

While the Mustang is not intended to be a luxury car by any means, I think Ford could pick up some personal coupe buyers that haven't had a Ford to consider since the demise of the MN12 T-birds.
    well the new Mustang looks to have an old fashion prop-rod. Not a big deal to me but I understand. It is supposedly (who knows for sure yet) going to be quietier (save exhaust noise maybe) and a little more upscale in the interior as far as quality goes.

Have to see it to believe it. Hopefull though.
    Yes, they are killing the SVT version of the Focus but they'll offer a ST version with 200 hp that should be almost as good if not better for less money. Mainstream production as opposed to limited SVT production. ST might also produce special versions of the mustang like the Bullit or Mach 1. In between the regular versions and the SVT versions.