Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    I think seminole is right. Wait until you can compare them back to back and in person. Pictures and magazine reviews never give you the whole story because you can't see or feel the actual proportions and ride from reading them. Only an all important test drive will do that.

As for the Mustang's sound, I always thought the Corvette sounded wheezy and the Mustang sounded very muscular in comparison. Maybe I just never paid enough attention but I seriously doubt it. I'm always keeping an ear out for a good sounding V8.

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I can pick out a Mustang just by the sound of it. Little does she know, but she's starting to do the same thing too. I guess I've had some good influence on her so far. :)

One other thing to consider is the power to weight ratio between the two. The GTO supposedly weighs something like 5700 lbs.. That's an awful lot of weight to carry around. It may handle like a truck!
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,403
    it sure is no sports car at >two and a half tons.
  • The GTO does NOT weigh "two-and-a-half tons" or anywhere close. If you can't get your facts straight, I won't consider your opinion valid.

GTO = 3,725 pounds (or about 75 pounds more than a Mustang Cobra)

2.5 tons = 5,000 pounds = ridiculous exaggeration

Anyway, the GTO does 0-60 in 5.3 and the 1/4 mile in 13.7-14.0 at 104 mph. Not a slug by any means.

Not saying I PREFER the goat, but I'd just like you guys to try to be as fair as possible when rendering your opinion.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Oh, gotta take issue with "wheezy sounding exhaust" as a "con" for the Mustang...wheezy sounding compared to what? Neither Camaros nor even Vettes come close to the that Mustang sound.

The Holden Monaro's exhaust does sound pretty good though, at least on par with the Mustang.

So that category should probably be a wash between the two.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    Yeah, I could see saying that a Porsche Boxter, or M3 has a weezy sounding exhaust, but not a Mustang GT. I am always amazed when I hear one going by at full throttle just how throaty it is.
    Oh, gotta take issue with "wheezy sounding exhaust" as a "con" for the Mustang...wheezy sounding compared to what? Neither Camaros nor even Vettes come close to the that Mustang sound.

The Holden Monaro's exhaust does sound pretty good though, at least on par with the Mustang.

So that category should probably be a wash between the two.
    I didn't make the 5500 lb claim, I merely picked up and rephrased it.

Mustang V8s are well known for their beautiful sound, at least from the pushrod (289/302/5.0) era
    perhaps the DOHCs don't sound as nice.
    "If you can't get your facts straight, I won't consider your opinion valid."

Sorry, I'll try to be more perfect like you next time. ;)

C&D says it's 3821 lbs and does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. It's right there with the Mustang even though it has 50 more horses and 50 more lb-ft of torque.

***I had the link to C&D here but Kirstie made me remove it because they host forums.***

A Mustang GT MT weighs somewhere around 3400 lbs for comparison.

***Link to HotRod mag was here showing the '05's specs but it too was deleted.***

So yes, power to weight is something you should consider. That was my point even though the numbers were wrong.

"The Holden Monaro's exhaust does sound pretty good though, at least on par with the Mustang."

That seems to be the word right now. It's going to be hard getting used to an oversized Lumina sounding like a muscle car.
  • I've heard from reliable sources that the '05 GT will start for under $20K as was discussed in Detroit. I think that makes the GT an incredible bargain even if a "real" price is a few thousand more. What's the current GT or Mach running?
    GT coupe with Deluxe pkg starts at $24,185. Mach1 starts at $29,760.

$25,000 would be a bargain because the '05 GT will offer similar if not better performance than the current Mach1.

Better check those sources again. Word around other Mustang forums and in the mags is that the next gen will be about $700 more for all trims. That means the GT will base at a little under $25,000. The V6 coupe will definitely be priced under $20k to start.

Someone mentioned that they might be considering a V6 body style with a V8 engine like the old LX 5.0. I could see that possibly starting slightly under $20k if it's true.
  • well one source was from this site. the other from a different but reliable web publication. And both said the honchos of Ford said that figure as part of their speech in detroit. and both admitted jaws dropped. Granted like I said that would be a stripped GT. I'm sure leather alone will be $1000 option. Spoiler etc, who knows how they'll add it all up.
  • oh and V6 they said starting at $16K.
  • A few thoughts: Do the Aussies build good cars? Why is this thing so heavy? It seems to be too big. How long will GM import them? If GM makes a new GTO in this country, will the imports become orphans? It costs too much. Limited production only jacks the price up for consumers. The Corvette is probably a better buy, they can be had for just a little more than the price of the GTO. One can get discounts on the Corvette, and they only weigh 3300 pounds, and are much smaller in overall length. I would rather have the Corvette than the GTO by a country mile, and for the money, I would rather have the Mustang GT.
    snakerbill,
    My sentiments exactly. Unless you need the back bench of course. Can't get that in a Vette.

I do need it right now so I think I'll stick with the Mustang. ;)

lackofdave,
    "oh and V6 they said starting at $16K."

Now that I haven't heard or read yet. If that's true Ford is dropping the price of a base V6 by about $2000. I find it pretty hard to believe that they can do that, but on the other hand I really hope they do!
  • well if you figure the avg discount/rebate on any ford these days is $2-$4K or 0% financing if they offer no discount the sticker price might sound better, but in realty you're paying the same. I've read recently they're trying to scale back the rebates a bit and I'm sure the Mustang will be one they won't need to offer one on.
    Plus it's at the forefront of this whole "year of the car" mr. ford is promoting. if their most popular car doesn't post huge sales #s it might hit them in the pocket. who knows.
    The Aussies build VERY good cars. Domestic Ford and GM could learn a thing or two from their Aussie subsidiaries. The fit and finish alone is miles above what we see here, and powerful rwd car models are numerous down under, not the rarities they are here.

But I do wonder if this first GTO will be sorta like a slightly more successful new Thunderbird...a niche, pretty high-priced (in its segment) car that sells to a certain small crowd, but not enough to make it profitable?
  • well I think the GTO is something Pontiac buyers will like. So those without a new Trans Am have a muscle car thats still from pontiac.

a lot of it is brand loyalty.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    The only thing Pontiac about the GTO is the nose and the name.

I heard the same comment about offering a 300 hp car for under $20K. Great move IMO.

Offer IRS as an option on the GT and add the higher HP models and I bet they can't make them fast enough.
    GTO's have never been small. It was introduced on the LeMans chassis the year the GM B-Body cars graduated from Compacts to Intermediates, 1964.

None has ever been compact.