Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• The first GTO I ever drove was built on the Tempest platform, that was a "compact" at the time. I see no reason for a four place coupe to exceed l90 inches in length, and weight a max of 3500 pounds, even that is too much IMHO. Smaller, lighter cars are more fun to drive, but I am not talking Honda Civic front wheel drive type cars. The Mustang is right on the cusp of being acceptable in size and performance for the money, and, the 05 Mustang should be about the best thing available for the gear head driver. If the quality is there it will be l964 all over again.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,403
    Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the poor finish and quality of most 1964 offerings, Mustangs included. While they wouldn't leave a trail of trim and loose parts they were distinctly downscale compared to the larger offerings by Detroit. The same would be true of Goats to a lesser degree.

Trust me, it'll be better than '64.
  • Don't know if anyone's mentioned it or not but it seems like Ford has ruined an otherwise pleasant interior with those bulky stereo speaker covers on the front doors of the 05. What is with that? Hopefully a savvy aftermarket company will come up with a smooth, round brushed aluminum replacement. They're seriously ugly and look to come out almost an inch fromt he door itself!
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    The 1974 GTO, the final year of the old run, was a sorry excuse of a car based on the compact Pontiac Ventura, a twin of the Chevrolet Nova.
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    Here's an article on the new Tang's chief engineer, a Vietnamese born guy:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0401/16/a01-35456.htm
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    from what I read, those are actually subswoofers. I think the regular speakers are hidden more in the door and I (going off memory here, not sure) that tweeters are mounted on the dash or higher up on the door frame.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    "Two Audiophile systems are available in the Mustang, one with 500 watts of peak power and another with 1000 watts. On cars equipped with either system, each door has its own subwoofer in a ported enclosure. This allows the door-mounted woofers to produce more "thump" than if they were housed in the bare door. The 1000-watt version adds a mounted, ported enclosure in the trunk that includes two more subwoofers.

Both systems include an in-dash six-CD changer that has the capability to play discs with MP3 computer files. This allows customers to play as many as 200 compressed music files from one disc, making the Mustang’s six-disc changer capable of becoming its own jukebox with more than 1,200 songs, or 60 hours of music.

In the trunk, the subwoofer enclosure for the 1000-watt system takes up significantly less space than in the last Mustang. Computer-aided engineering enabled developers to keep its interior volume the same (to produce the same bass) while taking up less usable space in the trunk."
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,209
    "I thought Ford said that the Mustang would be the only RWD car under 20k, meaning the V6 version."

I heard the same thing but we can still hope that the V8 will be offered in a sub-$20k trim can't we?
  • Ahhh they're subwoofers ok. Still. Quite ugly.
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Does anyone know why Ford isn't offering a six-speed with the GT? Will one be offered and if so, will it be just for hi-po Mustangs like the Mach 1 or Cobra? Also, will the auto versions have five detents (OD-D-3-2-1), or will they again do the OD-D-1 setup like on the 4-spd autos?

Can't really tell from the picture of the interior showing the auto shift lever. But the manual shifter looks to be a short-throw-style but has a HUGE chrome ball on it. The ten-spoke Shelby-style wheels with the spinners look decent.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    I think I like the wheels with the spinners...more of a Corvette thing maybe, but it looks good to me. Besides, since the Mustang's dual-cockpit design was inspired by the 'Vette, there's a reasonable precedent...
    John_324,

I kind of like them also. It kind of looks like the caps from the Magnum 500 with the spinners attach to them. I think it gives the ten-spoke Shelbys an added touch. May be tough to keep clean, but can't a small price to pay for a decent wheel.
  • The new GTO looks nearly like the Grand Prix and Grand Am's -- a little too much if you ask me. I don't see how anyone that admired the old tigers could ever buy a goat that is Australian. What a joke. Give me an old tri-power and I'll run ya. hee hee
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,403
    if that old Tri-power doesn't perform as well as the LS1 equipped Goat. A lot of the numbers published for those old Goats were based on tricked up examples, like the legendary '64 with a 421 that Car and Driver passed of as a "massaged" 389 Tripe.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Australian muscle cars are no joke.

Actually, the Aussies have stayed true to the muscle car ethos more than we have. We're just seeing a resurgance of them here, but down under they never went away. Holden has a bunch of high performance, rwd cars...would that Pontiac could say that.

And yes, they had them back in the 1960s and 1970s as well. Those cars in Mad Max are all Australian models...
  • My reference to 1964 was to do with the number of cars sold, and not the reliability or assembly quality. The quality of all new cars has improved from that era and I would not want to repeat the problems of that time.
  • I just got back from the Detroit Auto Show, and I can tell you that photos do not do the GTO justice. It is absolutely stunning in person.

If it was just a new GM offering with no name on it, you wouldn't hear any cries of, "This isn't a REAL GTO!" The quality and finish are spot on, and the seats coddle you. And if you wonder why it's so heavy, the doors sound like the closing of a bank vault. I think GM has a world class high performance coupe, regardless of what you name it.

Scarlett says, "Who would by a GTO that is Australian?" How jingoistic can you be?

The excellent looking Ford Five-Hundred seems to take its design cues from the Australian Ford Falcon (although the Falcon comes with up to a 5.4 liter s/c V8). The lesson here? The Aussies are building cars the way we SHOULD be here: Great looking, lots of power and MANUAL transmissions.

P.S. The '05 Mustang GT, by the way, is AMAZING to see in person. It made the '04 Mach 1 that was sitting next to it look like a shipping crate.
    crispiegee,

GM enthusiasts, and Ford as well, have been asking for the Aussie cars for years, especially the Holden units. Most wanted the Monaro to be the F-body replacement, particularly the Camaro. Also we wanted the Commodore to be the Impala SS before Chevy brought it out at SEMA in 93, the ute to be an El Camino and most recently, though they aren't going to do it, the Monaro with a 427 c.i. LS1. Also agree on the point that if the vehicle was called something else, you wouldn't hear half as many complaints. Plus it could be that many are tired of GM nameplate engineering cars, taking great names and just sticking them on anything to try to increase sales such as changing the 2dr Lumina to Monte Carlo, 4dr Lumina to Impala, the late 90s Malibu/Cutlass, the zigging Catera/Opel.

But I do think Lutz is being given way too much credit for this move. Though he does deserve some credit for tapping their Holden resources, it's not like he made this miraculous discovery no one knew about.

Anyway, back on topic. What about the Mustang's interior? Big improve in the ergonomics or what? More concrete pricing info?
  • I didn't see a Mustang that I could sit in, but the convention center was so bloody crowded, that it fatigued me.

The silver & white Mustang GT had its driver's door wide open, and by appearances, the interior looks very livable. Snug, but very nice. Like the Pontiac, the 'Stang is just SO much nicer in person. I just gawked at it and said, "They're really going to build this thing." I can't wait to sit in one or take a test drive.

And yes, I'm still torn between the GTO and the Mustang... I will make my decision in about 9 months.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    I saw the GTO last year (don't think it's changed much) and personally I think the exterior looks like a Pontiac Sunfire. Bland and boring. I haven't heard anyone else call it 'stunning'. Well made - probably. Great powertrain. But a looker it's not.

And the Ford 500 wasn't inspired by the Ford Falcon. The designer came from Audi and that car has Audi written all over it. And that's not a bad thing, especially with the interior.