Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    You mean a police interceptor model?
  • cankercanker Posts: 10
    80% of torque available at 1000rpms sounds really nice. Thats always been one of the problems with the 4.6l cars. They just don't have the torquey feel like the old 5.0s.
    Yeah, that is true. But I'm still undecided re which I like better. The 5.0s did get pretty weezy at high rpms, whereas you can really wind out a 4.6...
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    Its been awhile since they offered one...wnyone know??
    Might be a smart idea for Ford. Camaros were the pursuit vehicle of choice in the 1990s/early 2000s, but with their demise, Ford should step into the breach...
  • fdthirdfdthird Posts: 352
    As I remember, I think Ford put the Mustang forward as a Police vehicle because the Crown Vic wasn't up to the task and business was going elsewhere (GM).

Seems that with the problems you hear about the Crown Vic's gas tank, this might be a good time to re-introduce the Mustang to public service. Might also be a way to get a car back in the line like the 5.0 LXs from the last generation.

A lot of folks talk about wanting a car like that again and I'm sure Police Departments would rather not be seen driving around in Mustang GTs!
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,621
    the low fastback roofline macks the new 'Stang impractical for police work. They need a notchback or hatchback to really make it work for the cops.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

Agreed re a de facto return of the hi-po LXs.

But I dunno re the hatchback requirement; pursuit cars don't really need to carry much other than lots of tickets. You've got the regular patrol cars to carry all the equipment.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,689
    The only thing you need for a pursuit car is speed and some electronics. This would be for state highway patrol mainly, not for regular beat patrols. But with the public frowning on high speed pursuits lately they may not go that way.
  • kratas101kratas101 Posts: 33
    Dunno if it's just me and my friends but when I saw the 05 Mustang at the Dallas Auto Show.....it looked pretty bad. Before I saw it in the flesh, I thought it looked cool and really retro but in real life, the proportions seems out of place and the front end design seemed weird for some reason. At least, it didn't look as good as it did in the pics. Not really sure if I would like to have an 05 now or not but im sure there will be plenty on the road when it comes out.
  • I guess it just depends on the person since each person has different taste. I thought the 05 looked better in person than in pictures.

I want one baaaaaaaaaaaaad. Love the whole exterior design.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,452
    when is the convertible supposed to actually arrive at the dealers?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• The convert is reportedly coming out 6 months after the coupe.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    The '05 coupe Job1 date is 9/7/2004 while the verts will begin in January of 2005 (Was February until last week). Depending on what the actual day in January is you probably won't see a vert on a dealer lot until early to mid February.

It has also been reported that only 175,000 total Mustangs will be built for MY2005. Let's hope that's enough to go around! :)
    Finally the '05 info is starting to come out on the Ford website (I always take magazine stuff with a grain of salt; to me it's not official until I see it on the manufacturer's site).

No real tech specs yet, but the pics are great.

And I've got to say that I REALLY like the V6 16" wheels with the spinners...very sharp.
  • setzersetzer Posts: 127
    Ford motor sales are dropping, because whatever they have Honda Toyota or Nissan has better. The Mustang is one of the things Honda Toyota Nissan doesn't and cannot compete against. So if Ford wants to bring up their sales, the Mustang will do it.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    True, but Ford has been neglecting their cars for a while, focusing on trucks. Cars are now on the front burner, and a whole raft of new models are almost here. It should recover a lot of sales for Ford. It will always be a battle though, with Toyota and Honda, for the middle class sedans. Toyota has never had a Mustang competitor.
  • kenm8kenm8 Posts: 71
    Recall that in early 80's (I think), Toyota brought out a fastback rear-drive 2-door with straight six named Supra. Previous to that, they sold a fastback Mustang lookalike with a 4 cylinder starting in 77 through 81-82. The early Supra models somewhat resembled 67-68 or 69-70 Mustangs. In early 90's, the Supra pricing and equipment kept increasing (to high 30's or 40K?) and Supra was discontinued sometime in late 90's.
    It was the first Celica c. 1973, that was patterned after the Mustang, notwithstanding the small 4 cyl engine (which contemporaneous Mustangs had as well).

Gen 1 Celicas came as either fastbacks or notchbacks, just like Mustangs. The fastback Celica models actually bore a passing resemblance to Mustang Fastbacks of the '67-'69 era.

To be unveiled at the New York Auto Show later this week:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0404/04/c10-111614.htm
    Was it the first-gen Celica that had an availble "sunchaser" option, that amounted to a cool drop-top-and-rear-window thing that was sorta like having a Euro-convertible? That was pretty nifty... : )
    early Celicas like most early 1970s Japanese cars were pretty bare-bones cars. I'm not sure what this Sunchaser thing was but the Gen I Celicas all had steel roofs.

I think they may have had some sort of targa-style option in the Gen II (late 70s) cars IIRC.

All you had to do was google it (first link):

http://www.pitt.edu/~chirdon/sunchaser/history1.html
    Looks like I had the right car, wrong timeperiod. : )

I ran across one of these in decent condition in the mid-1990s on the road...it was pretty unique and stuck in my mind.
    What's the feeling on the quarter windows on the '05?

They don't look right to me for some reason (maybe I'm just used to the more truncated ones on my 2002)...thoughts?
  • kenm8kenm8 Posts: 71
    I also feel the quarter window on 05 not quite right. But, maybe it has to grow on you.

Doesn't the quarter window go back to the 65-66 fastback Shelby Mustang? It looked pretty good on these models. I recall these were mostly white with a blue racing stripe. In early 67, looked at a used (pre-driven) 66 black (with gold trim) Shelby Hertz. Hertz had a small number of these in their rental fleet. I passed on it unfortunately. Got a new 67 GT with 289 high perf solid lifters instead. Was very nice. Wasn't the Bullit car a 67 with supposedly a Chevy engine?
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    "http://www.pitt.edu/~chirdon/sunchaser/history1.html"

I shared a locker with that guy for one year in High School!

He lives about 1/4 mile up the road from me now but I don't recall ever seeing his Sunchaser on the road before. Now I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
  • NSORICNSORIC Posts: 33
    to view a nice presentation, please click on: http://secure.webex.com/g2.asp?id=387K39J2
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    The '65 Shelby's where all either white or white w/ the blue stripe. The '65's did NOT have the quarter window in lieu of the louvers/extractors. The '66 Shelby's where availble in a wide range of colors, and, as you've noted, as a 'rent-a-racer' through Hertz (the GT350H cars). The '66 cars were the first street Shelby's with the rear quarter window. The track cars (GT350-R) had (to the best of my memory) an aluminum panel riveted in place of the plexiglas quarter window.

Bullitt Mustang a '67? Yes.

Bullitt Mustang w/ a Bowtie? Ehhhhh, no.
    Actually, the Bullitt Mustang was a '68 (with a Ford 390 ci engine from the uplevel T-bird I believe).

Kenm8, too bad about not picking up that GT-350H, eh? : )

Of possible interest to the faithful out there: Target has a "checkout stand" (you know, with the National Inquirer and Horoscope mags) digest celebrating Mustang history. It's pretty in-depth, only a few errors and has some great pictures of the Shelbys and Trans-Am Boss Mustangs. Plus it's only like 3 bucks...