Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• tdubztdubz Posts: 9
    the 05 mustang gt will not have irs.it will supposably go on sell in sept/oct 2004. expect the price to stay the same or rise only slightly. remember the mustangs market is an affordable sports car, raising the price would alienate the target audience. i would expect price increases about the same as the f150. from what i have heard the gt will get a 4.6 3v v8, with horsepower in the range of 300-320. i believe ford vp steve lyons said to expect the 05 stang to perform better than the last f-bodies.
  • If no irs, do you know what the front suspension will be? Is the V8 you mentioned the sohc or the dohc? Does this car still have six gauges? Anyone know? With a solid axle it seems that we are still dealing with the old Fox platform. Ugg
    dont know the answers to your questions but i will try to find them out. as for the irs, it will be on the cobra and maybe some special editions from what ive heard. theres a really good forum for mustangs. the isnt working right now for some reason so i cant copy and paste the link for you, but if you do a search for "brads mustang" on yahoo, it will come up as brads mustang site. just click on that, then go to the forums and you will have lots of info. theres even some really good CAD's of the 05 mustang that was done from the spy pics and an old ford cad that was leaked out about a yr ago. anyways check it out. when the site is working, i will post the link
  • Many thanks, and I will try that site. Any other info is appreciated.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    My thoughts: front suspension will be MacPherson struts in the interest of keeping the price tag low, GT engine will most likely be the SOHC, and I hope the 6 guages remain (there's something so musclecar about lots of guages).

The platform itself is a shortened and cheapened (read: steel instead of aluminum) verison of one Ford uses now for Jaguars and Lincolns (LS I think??), so pretty state of the art (but I love that my 2002 rides on a 1978 platform nonetheless).

John
    there are photos of the new 05 mustangs gauges n the ford website. whats interesting is that the gauges color can be changed, with up to 125 color options. pretty cool
  • Hi Everyone,
    Maybe too soon to know or not but does anyone know if the ragtop will be coming out at the same time as the other Mustangs? Thanks
  • I love this car! Please, Ford, don't skimp on the car interior. Good quality leather, good quality fabrics, good quality plastics, good quality metal and chrome bits and trim. Good quality. Make us enjoy sitting in this car. Make us proud to own a Mustang by making it reliable and affordable and stylish and well finished. Oh, and please offer it in some crazy candy colours like orange, green, purple, turquoise, and gold.
  • How does one change the color of these gauges? Can that be done by the owner or is it a one choice deal??
  • from what i have read on various websites it is something that can be continually changed...like there will be a dial that you will turn that will gradually change the color.
  • The mustang is scheduled to go on sale in the summer of 04....the price range will be about the same or justa little higher then any other new release for a mustang(i.e. a new 04 coupe was about $18k+ in 2003)..the price will range from $18k+ to $39k+ (MSRP)...The regular coupe however is not the one i am looking forward to. I cant wait for the Shelby and SVT editions. Those are what have me looking forward to the 04 release. If you are wondering if my information is accurate, It is....i have been reasearching this car for months now.My love of the 67 shelby mustang(Eleanor) is what lead me to do all this research. Since i wont be able to maintain one ever if i could afford to buy it i had to find an alternative...and this 05 mustang will do just that for me. If there are anymore question feel free to ask if i dont know off hand i'll get the info for you.
  • The 05 is on "DEW-Lite", a less expensive version of the DEW98 used for the Lincoln LS/Jag S.

The biased auto press will hate the live axle, but then what Asian car sold here has a V8 and RWD besides the luxo boats??
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Posts: 101
    Pretty much anyone (with the exception of drag racers) who understands suspension design will hate the live axle, especially in the northern parts of the US where roads are so bad.

Ford's explanation that IRS costs too much is really lame. Even KIA and Hyundai use IRS. To be fair, RWD IRS costs a bit more, but even stamped steel semi-trailing arms would be better than a live axle.
  • The only good reasons I can see for keeping the live axle set up are for durability, reliability, simplicity, cost and weight concerns. Unfortunately, that is quite a list.

An independent rear suspension would be a welcome addition, but given the current bean counter mentality a live axle seems all to predictable.
    True, but live axles make tail-out fun sooo easy! And what's more ponycar than that? : )
  • "Even Kia and Hyundai use"... a lame-axx IRS. No way would they hold up to V8 torque.

If you don't like live axle, get a Kia or Hyundai then and watch everyone ignore the car.
  • z9z9z9z9z9z9z9z9 Posts: 101
    weight concerns:
    The real issue here is UNSPRUNG weight, which is one of the reasons a live axle handles so badly on broken pavement. Not only are the wheels moving, but the entire axle and differential is along for the ride too.

V8 torque:
    The IRS on the Dodge Viper seems to be able to deal with 525 ft/lb torque, so I don't see reason why Ford can't deal with the 325 ft/lb or so that the V8 Mustang will produce.

Final thought: are there _any_ other vehicles currently being manufactured with a live rear axle other than taxi cabs and pickup trucks? Very few. If a live axle is inadequate for midsize family sedans, what business does it have on the back of a "performance" car?
  • Regarding weight concerns - it appears that the new Mustang, even with a live axle is going to weigh around 3700 pounds. I fear that the Cobra version (with IRS and a supercharger) will start to brush up against the two ton figure.

I understand the importance of keeping unsprung weight down. However, some pony car fans may appreciate measures to keep overall weight under control. Keep in mind that I find an IRS superior to a live axle in most instances, including this one.

For those of you concerned about durability, it doesn't seem to be an issue for the current IRS equipped 390hp Cobra.
  • What is really annoying is that the Pontiac GTO will have IRS, and it has a lot more power than what Ford is planning for the GT. However that car weighs over 3800 pounds, and costs about 35000. Ford should never let GM get ahead of them again. (Like they did with the last F bodies)
    Why in the world would Ford build the all new Mustang with a solid rear axle? Forget about all the excuses like weight, cost etc etc, and build the car in the modern idiom. Ford, Are you there? Are you listening?
    Ford didn't exactly "let GM get ahead of them" re the F-bodies. There's a reason why the F-bodies aren't made anymore, but the Mustang is still going strong.

Mustangs have rarely been the pinnacle of pony car performance...rather, they succeed by being good at a number of things, rather than great at just one.

I like my Mustang precisely because it is such a dinosaur...there are plenty of very good sport coupes out there, but there's only one choice if you want to experience the musclecar ethos of old.

Perhaps Ford does have the right idea after all: if total performance is your goal, pick up a Cobra and you've got it. But if you want performance combined with some nostalgia, get the GT. That's what I did...