Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• BMW uses struts in the front suspension on several of their current production vehicles, so a strut front suspension doesn't have to be a bad or low-tech thing. It just depends on how it is designed and set up.
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    Celicas are great cars, and in fact were designed originally to be quasi-competitors of the Mustang.

I like the new Celicas (WITHOUT that horrid body kit), and a GT-S without a spoiler (rare) is a nice sight to my eyes. Very "1960s GT racecar." And the early 90s (?) Celica All-Trac was and still is a really fun car.

However, 2 things really differentiate the Mustang from the Celica: low rpm torque and rwd.

Mustang torque is instant and immense; Celicas have to be revved pretty high to bring on significant power. If you like your Celica's power, you will LOVE the Mustang's...

RWD makes a big difference in the character of the car and how it handles; rwd cars feel more balanced due to the better weight distribution, and they accelerate in a more controlled (i.e. no torque steer) fashion. There's a reason why most Euro sportscars are rwd.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Don't forget the Vapor Lock too.....interesting feature to retro....
  • Seemed like an easy concept to grasp. I should have known better.
    Okay, let's not get all worked up here...

While simulated carburation would be an interesting feature and definitely fit the retro feel of the car, Ford would never do it. Very few people would actually purchase it I bet.

Besides, I'd say there are a lot of other more pressing options to add for the GT. An option independent rear suspension, maybe a hurst shifter option and I hope the 2005 GT does not sport the odd "4x4" look that my 2002 does (current Mustang owners know what I'm talking about).
  • Too much coffee, NO sleep. Rough week.
         Just a light hearted suggestion gone askew. I agree about more pressing options.
         Pinto? No, I don't see it.
         Note to self: Lighten up Francis.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    not being a current 'Stang owner I'm not sure what you mean by "4x4 look". Ig you mean the current style is too tall and blocky looking, I'd agree.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

But thinking more about the suggested "carburetor" feel, I do have to say that I'd like it if Mustangs had more of a "lopey" (is that the word?) cam, so that the engine/idle would have that coool old-school uneven sound (cf. Max's orignal yellow Interceptor in Mad Max). I love that. Sadly, they'll never offer that one either... : (

Re the "4x4 look", hey I LIKE the current styling... : ) What I meant was the oddly large amount of space between the top of the tire and the wheelwell. It's like 3 1/2 inches! The car looks jacked-up like a truck, rather than hunkered down like most previous Mustangs. No one knows exactly why Ford did it for the 1999+ Mustang, but it's a definitely weird look, and the reason why a lot of people replace the stock springs (not to slam the car, but just to get it looking normal...)

I'm planning on installing a set of Ford Racing's "B" springs to lower my car about 1.25 inches in front .75 in back (a "Daytona Rake", right?)...
  • I like the looks - combining nostalgia with a little present day pizzaz. The guages will be fun to tinker with at night. Since I owned a Ford Pinto wagon many years ago, I can safely attest that their is no comparison. That comment must have been a conversation starter.
  • There is emotion over the Mustang because no matter what, it is a "survivor." ;)
    Yep...I've never heard of people getting worked up over Camaros or Firebirds, and Barracudas and Challengers were short-lived period pieces.

Even when GM decided to end F-body production recently, there was a little more than a slight outcry. Contrast that with Ford's 1980s consideration of a fwd Mustang (what would eventually become the Probe) and the firestorm it provoked.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    GM has done some unfathomable things - eliminating the large RWD cars, the F-bodys and basically conceding both markets to Ford. Wonder why they're losing so much market share? And some people here actually think GM is coming back!
  • LOL! There is a topic on Edmunds with that name. I subscribe to it for a good laugh.
  • tayllortayllor Posts: 4
    Thanks, John, for your response. I'm looking forward to trying out the new Mustang. Anyone know when they're expected to be available? I hope I don't have to wait until the end of the year.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    Production of the coupe begins on September 7th. Expect them to hit showrooms very late in September or the beginning of October.

The vert will begin production sometime in late January which was recently moved up from mid-February.

From what I've read they are now beginning to build early pre-production models at AAI. Don't expect to be able to buy one of them though. You'll probably see one in a magazine for a road test instead. ;)
  • oldmanoldman Posts: 35
    So far as I can see from a distance, I believe Al-Quaida has taken over control of "the general", which explains why GM is claiming to be on a comeback while nosediving into the ground with stupid, out-of-touch product lines. The corporate crater will be huge on this one! Honestly how else can one explain the absurdity of products offered by this marque? If I had the courage of my convictions I'd buy Ford stock while it is in the dumpster like it was in the late 70's. If you'd bought it then, by 1995 or so you'd have made a ton of $$. The Taurus model was the breakthrough model. Could the new retro mustang be their next savior??? What do you think???
    I'm not sure that the Mustang will be the "savior", but it surely will help. The buzz this car has been creating is phenomenal. Everyone I know has either seen or heard about it and can't wait to see one in person.

Now if Ford plays it's cards right and releases the Futura (which won't be called the Futura anymore because of the Pep Boys tire brand) on time, they should be back in full swing again. I say this because the Mustang will certainly generate more showroom traffic, but it's not for everyone. The Futura (rumor says it might be named the Four Hundred) on the other hand is for everyone and could very well be the next Taurus. We won't know for sure until Ford shows us a production version but things are looking up! Let's not forget about the Five Hundred too.

Like you said, if I also had the courage of my convictions, I'd have bought Ford stock a year ago. ;)

In case you're wondering about the Futura, it's based on the Mazda6 (I am currently leasing one and it is an amazing car), will have a hybrid system as an option a year or so after launch, and can be fitted with an AWD drivetrain. It should be quite a nice ride!

That's just what I think. Take it for what you will. :)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    The Lincoln version just debuted at the New York Auto Show last week. It's called the Zephyr and looks great. Anyone worried about 'rebadging' of the Mazda6 needn't be - it looks nothing like a Mazda, inside or out.
    No doubt about it that the Futura looks good so far...I'm just surprised that Ford didn't bring back the "Galaxie" name for it, or maybe the "Falcon". Much cooler than Futura or 400...

Ford currently makes a Falcon for the Aussie market, and it sells quite well.

Retro names attached to modern cars is a nice link with the past IMO. Sure, not all of a company's line should revisit old names, but a few sprinkled around can't hurt.
    "Sure, not all of a company's line should revisit old names, but a few sprinkled around can't hurt."

I agree, but Ford lost a few of their old names along with a new one like "Futura". There's a list somewhere out there but I can't remember where it is.

They've also been re-securing some of the old names to make sure they don't lose them too.

"Anyone worried about 'rebadging' of the Mazda6 needn't be"

That's right. The Lincoln and Ford versions are definitely not re-badges. They are just going to be built on the same solid and flexible platform.