Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Thanks for the link. Looks pretty cool, will have to check it out more thoroughly.

Does it use an IRS or the solid rear axle?

If they can keep it under $40K, like in the $33 - $35K range, it'll be a killer deal. Plusthat will still leave room in between it and the GT for another model.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    It uses the solid rear axle. The price is projected by Ford to be below $40K.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,235
    As taylord said, they are sticking with the solid axle rear. Apparently, the IRS doesn't offer any handling advantages over the solid axle in this car.

There's strong talk of other special models being spun off, too like a BOSS or MACH. No info on what those would include, though.

I even saw one thread say that if you drop the stripes & the wheels, the GT500 could come in around $35K. That would be a winner, for certain.

Other variations to be rumored...convertible variation of the GT500 or MACH or BOSS.

Lots of places you can go without much trouble...add a blower to the 4.6L, take the blower off the 5.4L....etc.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    BMW? Yuk. I don't think you ever drove one.
    For those of you wanting great big pics of the '06 Shelby GT500....

http://www.racergarage.com/shelbyGT500/index.htm
    Yes, saw that as well. Wasn't able to take more than a quick glance but re-visited the site and read the specs. Viewed the pictures too, really like #40, a pic of the 06 and the lt. blue 68.

Could be a winner. Will have to do more research on it. Yes, I would definitely drop the wheels, just doesn't do it for me (they're kind of Corvette-ish to me). The strips, I'm still on the fence with those. ADitto with the spoiler, looks like an afterthought, particularly in the shot with the 68, and the side shot. Doesn't have that integrated look. But overall nice piece. In terms of price, let's hope the dealer group doesn't put ADMs and the like on the car.

Wonder what they could do to the 4.6/5.4 to boost the output w/o having to go the blower route.
    "Wonder what they could do to the 4.6/5.4 to boost the output w/o having to go the blower route."

Good question....Saleen has only been able to squeeze another 25 ponies from the 4.6 modular. MT said that the car wouldn't pass smog regs the way Saleen set it up, though. Plus, there was no difference in performance from stock. Rousch and Steeda haven't been able to get more out of the 4.6. Exhaust is pretty open from the factory. That covers the professional tuners. I'm sure big bucks can pull more ponies out of them, but will it be worth it?

I'm not as familiar with the 5.4, though. There might be some things there if I looked at it closely.
  • This car is amazing. Wow, its amazing they could get away with something like this. Good Job Ford. Whatever formula you used for the mustang, apply it to your other cars!

One question, why is the cobra on the right side of the grille, and not the middle?

Would it not look better in the middle?
    Answer about the COBRA emblem....it's on the right side since that's always been the Cobra tradition on all of them.
  • I just had a new fuel tank replaced under warranty. So far, seems to have done the trick with the fueling problem.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,689
    Ford got 400 hp out of it's naturally aspirated 5.0L Cammer engine but it's way too expensive for a production car.
    Yes, that has been one of my biggest beefs about the 4.6/5.4, doesn't make more power unless you put an SC on it, or use nitrous or a crazy turbo setup. Mucho dinero. I mean, there are cams out know, but they're hella expensive. I don't want to "have" to put a blower on it, or "have" to put it on the bottle.

But there was the 5.4 from the Cobra R. 385 hp/tq, normally aspiration as stated. Many people forget about this motor, but then again, it really doesn't "count" due to it only being available for the R.

And as akirby stated, there's the cammer, but that sucker's $14,000!! And it may be more than that by now (and that was from the last time I checked it in a Jeg's catalog last year).

Shoot, you can buy a 426 Hemi crate carbs-to-pan, water pump-to-flywheel for less than that, even a 500+ c.i. version for less!! Hell, you can get the 572/620 (or a 720hp version I believe?) for that!
    Well....depends on how much money you want to spend....you could put a "top fuel" engine in it, too.

Now, if you could find someone to drop a crate motor in the Mustang, you'd have a fast and rare pony, indeed.

Out of the box, it's impressive as is, though.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    At my dealership here in South Jersey, we are no longer taking GT orders. With our current list of orders and our current allotment we will need 5 months to get all the customers their cars.

I know at least one other dealership in my area is not taking any more 05 orders either.

Its just crazy how much pent up demand there is for a car like this. Especially when you look at the car objectively.

Styling wise, the interior is nothing special. The exterior is just about perfect. (I still don't like the outward from the top to bottom line on the rear end. it should slant out from the bottom to the top same as the front end. Also the car could use 18 inch wheels.)

Its not the V6 cars that are flying off the lot either. Its all about the V8.

I read recently that Ford is not pursuing the "hurricane" 6.2/4 Liter V8 engine for trucks. Man that seems like a mistake to me.

Mark
    IMHO, while the exterior is gorgeous, the interior with the Interior Upgrade Package is a work of art with its aluminum dash and accents. Thoughtful things like the little details prove that much thought has gone into it....for example, when you open the car door, the windows automatically drop down about 1/8th of an inch and then roll back up when you close the doors to make certain there's a great seal between the glass and the doors. Seats are very comfortable for cruising or spirited driving.

Edmunds has a really good article about those who put different wheels on cars and how that negatively affects performance.

Demand is high and is getting hotter as Spring weather takes hold. I've heard the same thing, that some dealers are totally sold out of the '05s and are now taking orders for '06s (which won't hit the dealer lots until Sept).

I agree, the popularity of this car is off the map.
  • bradkurtzbradkurtz Posts: 24
    The GTs are sold out in my area (St. Louis) until the '06s arrive. The GT500 will also be a an amzing success.

Ford has a good car here, lets hope they can keep it up.
  • I just got mine. Man it is a black leather int/black ext GT manual with the int upgrade package. It was a sweet deal cause the dealership I got it at sold it to me at MSRP and everywhere else that I know had a 5k mark-up. This thing shifts so tight and the acceleration is awesome. Does anyone have any suggestions for initial upgrades?

Jug
    I'm in the midwest. Availability is very tight. I had heard that in and around St. Louis, at least the GTs are sold out for the '05 model year. Around southern OH, you can find some V6s, but no convertibles or GTs. Some dealers are only taking orders for '06s.

MSRP seems to be the going price on dealer walk ins if you can find any....or find a dealer willing to honor one of the Ford plans (i.e. ordered mine in Feb for X plan).

juggernaut....isn't the Interior Upgrade Package just stunning. As you say, just an all around great car, regardless of the parameter you judge it by.

I've only had mine for about 3 days. I can't stop at a redlight, go to the grocery store, stop for gas, etc without having people go crazy over it.

I took it out on the interstate last night. It was a bit unnerving since I had cars on either side of me and behind me, keeping close pace to catch a glimpse for about a mile.

That "black on black" is beautiful. I bet it's even more unbelievable with the all aluminum trim against that black interior.

I've got the Color Accent Package and the aluminum interior is just jaw dropping.

Ford did good!
  • fsvfsv Posts: 196
    What real MPG do you guys get?
    If you're talking about a GT with the manual tranny....I've just gone through my very first tankful. So, I'm not near being past the "break-in".

According to the trip computer, I got 18 MPG...all city....on regular gas.

I'm pleased, so far with the MPG.
  • esbrockesbrock Posts: 88
    I just ordered a GT Premium and the wait is already going to kill me. I'm already looking at some mods but was wondering if you should wait until the "break in" period is over before you start toying with mods. I was planning to add the Steeda CAI unit, the SLP Loudmouth axle-back exhaust, And reflashing the Computer with the STC tool. I wouldn't think that this would be considered major modifications but I thought I should ask first before I start buying all this stuff.
    Congrats.....you're going to love it.

I think it would be hard to get any reasonable performance gains via exhaust mods for no other reason Ford did a good job in opening it up right out of the box. I've heard mixed results regarding STC. So, I think that's up to you whether it would be worth it.

Personally, I'd break it in before doing anything and see where you're at after 3K miles regarding performance.

As it stands, after break in....you'll be at less than 5 secs 0-60 and mid-13s in the 1/4 with no mods. That's pretty damn good without doing anything.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    welcome to the owners' club!! Ain't it great?? I especially love the looks from guys in $50K or higher SUVs and cars that look and point out my car to their passengers! Ain't it sweeeet!!
    Yeah....the notice this car gets is pretty incredible. I thought my previous RX8 got looks, stares, thumbs up. That was nothing compared to the attention the Mustang gets.

The Mutang faithful are a strong and loyal lot.

Yesterday, driving home from spending time with family, I even got a thumbs up from guy in a Z28. That's saying something considering how the GM and Ford guys constantly go at it.
    Yeah...the Mustang has a huge buzz about it.

I thought the attention my former RX8 got was pretty incredible. The Mustang is off the charts.

So far, I've had a guy in a late model BMW 7 series drive up next to me with his window rolled down and tell me how "hot" he thinks the new Mustang is.

I've had "thumbs up" from a guy in a C5 vette and even more surprising, a guy in a Z28. Considering how the GM camp and the Ford camp go at it, it's pretty amazing.

That doesn't even address those that are driving Celicas, Acura/Honda coupes in the way they react to it. This car seems to capture the attention of all age groups and all enthusiasts, no matter what they are driving.

Some of the comments heard while driving.....

"kewl....sic (I assume that's a good thing).....bad [non-permissible content removed].....and my favorite...will you be mine". That last one from two young 20 something females yelling out of their car at me, a 40ish male, while driving the Mustang.

Kind of makes me blush.
  • I'd like to echo Graphic Guy's comments about the looks. I picked up my satin silver GT w/IUP this past Saturday. I drove north this Easter up the PA turnpike and I think some necks were broken or at the least severe whiplash...lol! My wife couldn't believe all the looks we were getting and how people would speed up to see it. I saw one guy turn around and take his hands off the wheel to look! It is a funny site seeing the man and woman staring and pointing.

It seems that people know to look for the driving lights in the grill to signify the GT. I saw one guy blatantly look at the grill then smile as he realized what I had. Even the guards at my work get a smile when they hear me pull in ;-) I guess we should enjoy it now as next summer there will most likely be a lot more on the streets. It is a small club that will only be getting larger.
    pumpkinfish....yeah....most people strain to see if the "fogs" are on the car signifying the GT.

But, what I've seen recently are people wanting to see the interior. All agree that the standard interior is nice, but they all seem to really like the IUP and all the aluminum.

I'm really liking the seats, too.

Of course, anyone who knows the car also asks for a "My Color" demo of the guages, too.

A guy last night made a comment to me while at Costco that I never thought about. He made a trip from 3 rows over to look at my car. We talked for a bit and he asked me to start it up. Once I did, aside from the great sound of the car, this guy said "I've never heard of a car that catches so quickly when you turn the key".

Never realized it, but it does start immediately when you turn the key.
  • liveoakieliveoakie Posts: 17
    I got a call from the dealer today and he said my car should be in late next week. I am so excited! My first spankin new car( except for a ford ranger a few years ago)!!!! I changed the color from the windveil blue to the sonic blue but I wasn't guaranteed that I called in time.
    guess I'll see. It doesnt really matter to me after seeing both colors around, I like both. Got my driveway done and my garage door opener in now I just gat to make some room!
  • silvergtsilvergt Posts: 3
    Waiting for my silver GT Premium w/ manual transmission, interior upgrade package and interior accent package. Placed the order on Feb. 26--I'll be lucky to get it in May. Anyone out there order one about the same time? I can't get a date from my dealer.
    From talking to many others who have ordered, plus my own experience, there are a couple of things you can do to make certain your order gets done in a timely manner. Or, find out if your dealer has any intention of getting your car in a timely manner.

First, Ford dealers haven't had a "hit" of the Mustang's magnitude (and to a lesser extent, the Escape hybrid) in a long, long time. Also understand that dealers, in general, are making more money for cars they can put in their showroom, than ordered cars. I've actually seen customers bidding on a Mustang GT while standing around one in my dealer's showroom. The car ended up selling for $1000 over MSRP after all was said and done.

Here's what you want to do.....

--make certain your dealer had/has allotment for your ordered car. Many have sold out their entire allotment for the '05 model year. They won't get any more until the '06 model. If your dealer has allotment for April, you should be able to get your order in 6-8 weeks. If they don't have allotment for April, but do have some for May, plan on 10-12 weeks from the day you order. Past that, you may as well wait on the '06s which will trickle into dealers in Sept. Many dealers already have their first allotment of '06s sold out.

--also make certain your dealer is ordering with a priority # of 10. That's the highest priority number they can assess to your order to the factory. Priority numbers go all the way up to 99 (which will probably never get built. Some dealers are putting customer priority numbers at 40. That puts you in line behind everything with a higher priority number. Care to guess what priority numbers dealers are giving their Mustang orders for stock Mustnags?

Make certain your dealer gives you the Vehicle Order Confirmation (VOC). That shows all the options you ordered and the price (MSRP and invoice). Plus, it also shows the priority number they assessed to your order. Because it shows MSRP, invoice price and priority number, some dealers don't want you to see it. But, it's your car, you should be allowed to see it.

Ford raised production of the '05 Mustangs by about 35,000-40,000 units, over the original 150,000 estimate of Mustangs to be produced in '05 MY. That should help a bit, but that amounts to only a couple more Mustangs per dealer.

Been through the ordering process and have talked to many others who have been successful and unsuccessful in getting their cars. Kind of know what to look for and what makes for a successful order. Hope this helps.