Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    Right on..that is cool!
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    does anyone know if there are plans for the mustang to get an auto transmission with a manual shift-gate?

like the Pontiac G6 or almost any nissan, thanks. :D
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    "like the Pontiac G6 or almost any nissan, thanks"

Or my 2000 Lincoln LS......

Not for 2006 but since the mustang uses the same tranny and same PCM as the Lincoln LS I would guess we'd see it for the 07 models.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    You can use any automatic tranny as a "manual". Just move it to the gear you want it while driving. I know that some companies make it a simple flick up/down or side-to-side, or they even have "tap" buttons on the steering wheel, but there's nothing particularly special about those trannys. Nothing would preclude you from shifting the Mustang's automatic manually.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • whskvswhskvs Member Posts: 28
    I'd love to try one out for a weekend, but I haven't had any luck renting one through dealerships.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Hertz.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree here. True manumatics offer a much finer level of control over the automatic tranny and, in the case of the LS, offers different operation as far as shift dynamics and torque converter lockup.

The LS automanual or manumatic tranny allows selection of an individual gear and it stays in that gear and will not automatically upshift or downshift on it's own, even if you redline it. The only exception is if you're in 4th or 5th and come to a complete stop - it downshifts to 1st. It locks the torque converter in 3rd gear which doesn't happen in any normal automatic mode. And the shifts are quicker.

Let's take 4th gear as an example. You can put a normal automatic in D4 (on the mustang you put it in D5 and lock out overdrive). It starts out in 1st and upshifts and downshifts normally through gears 1-4. If you accelerate it will downshift. By contrast if you put the SST (manumatic) in 4th gear it will not upshift or downshift until you come to a complete stop.

A manumatic is not a substitute for a manual, but it does give much more control than a regular automatic. All you need to do this is a computer controlled tranny and the right software. In fact, non-SST Lincoln LS's can be converted by buying the SST shifter and having the computer reflashed. I'm sure it was left off the mustang because they put all their resources into getting the basics right and will add it later. The software that controls it is very complicated. It wasn't in the first 2 years of the new Tbird either but it was added later.
    Duly noted....thanks!
    RE Hertz

I've tried them in ATL, but the only place that carries them is the Airport location (which is a hike), and they won't guarantee it will be a mustang.

Thanks though.
    I'm reasonably sure I saw some at the Marriot hotel location at Windward Parkway and 400. Call them and ask - they may not be listed on the website. These were coupes, not convertibles that I saw.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Does anyone know what the website is that I see people writing about sometimes that allows you to track your Mustang being built?
    It's actually just a forum on another site and not a regular website per se and we're not allowed to post links to other forums.
    RE Windward...

Thanks man. Great info.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is hoping to talk with someone who bought a new vehicle (or more than one new vehicle) recently primarily for style reasons. Did you choose your car to match your wardrobe or personal sense of style? The reporter writes, "I'm probably looking for people who are on the waiting list for a Solstice, or choose a Mazda 3 over the Honda Civic for fashion reasons, or picked an Infiniti over a Lexus because of Infiniti's superior design. Or a mom who drives a Mustang, even though it's a tight squeeze for her kids in the backseat." If this describes you, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, August 16, 2005 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your choice. Please put the word "style" in the subject line of your e-mail.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Has anyone ordered a car with the Pony Package yet? I'm looking for someone who has experience with how this changes the car performance wise.

It seems like a super bargain for the equipment you get.

Mark.
  • tmtgttmtgt Member Posts: 18
    I've had my conv since tues. I have no problem latching the roof..it moves quickly and stops where it is supposed to. Latching is easy.. I just make sure the handles are turned down..I think there is something wrong with yours..sorry...
  • roberta4roberta4 Member Posts: 5
    Great news to anyone still waiting for the car of their dreams.....I got my exact order, 7 months later, from another dealership. Koons Ford Annapolis MD gave me the run around for 7 months...finally they called the other day and said my order was bumped out a month ago (didn't tell me that) and that they were placing another order. After a few phone calls...we found Donahoo Ford in Baltimore with my exact car just sitting on the lot...we bought it over the phone...and picked it up the next day.8/12/05. And no after sticker gauging either.....just nice honest people to deal with. And just for the record I couldn't help myself....I had to do a drive up to Koons Ford with the top down and say...."hey your loss." I wont even give them any service business......The other place although further away was well worth the wait and will get all my business. By the way...while there they had 3 others just sitting!!! black on black....black w/ red...and a red one getting off the truck....Call Donahoo Ford in Baltimore and ask for Jeff or Jamie!!! ;)
  • achaseachase Member Posts: 4
    In terms of options to convertibles, is there any sign on the horizon might produce a hard top Mustang with a moon/sun roof?

My wife doesn't like a full convertible, but I'm dying to get my hands on this car!

Any signs?

A
    While Ford didn't offer a sunroof option on the Mustang for MY '05 and won't for MY '06, either, you can go the aftermarket to get one. Ask around (or if you dare, the local dealer) to find out which companies are local to you that would install a sunroof.

Some have done it and depending on the installer, were generally pleased with the results.
  • detailzdetailz Member Posts: 47
    You know, I, and many more forum readers, really do appreciate all the explanations re: the " manual" (auto) transmission vs. the std. transmission.................. guess to me the question still remains that do you really want a sports car that you can.......... DRIVE.......... or have a sports car .........that you can ride in!!!.......... Might want to hire a chouffer if the later option is chosen.
    I still cannot believe anyone would spend the time and money on something like this only to have a auto tranny..... maybe its me..........
    It's you.

So if I have a 1 hour daily commute in stop and go traffic and it hurts my leg to use the clutch or if I have a medical problem and can't use a clutch then I can't own a Mustang?

I'm leaning towards a manual but I certainly don't have any contempt for automatic equipped GTs. With today's computer controlled 5, 6 and even 7 speed automatics the performance difference is small.
    Just an FYI....a few people on other Mustang boards have received the first shipments of the '06 Mustang. The "Pony Package" on the V6 models looks mighty good.
    Guess its' me as I am rather fortunate that I only have a 15-20 minute drive without much traffic..........on a somewhat open divided highway running east and west in WNY. (Could take the scenic ride in over hill and dale)
    I may have a very different oppinion within the next few years or so as arthritus will probably be setting in......but ahh...the power underneath. Any idea when the 06s' were/are scheduled to be built?
    -->In terms of options to convertibles, is there any sign on the horizon might
    -->produce a hard top Mustang with a moon/sun roof?
    -->
    -->My wife doesn't like a full convertible, but I'm dying to get my hands on this car!

Mustang has never ever been offered with a factory moon roof....
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    a sun roof???

thats crazy! :mad:
    Ummmm.....I wouldn't exactly call it crazy.

The Mustang has a convertible option. So, not having a sunroof option isn't surprising.
    I don't think there's enough room for a standard moonroof to retract inside the roof, so it would have to retract above the roof.

Today's aftermarket roofs can be just as good as the factory roofs - if they're done right.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    There are some aftermarket ones that retract under the roof.
  • chevy4lifechevy4life Member Posts: 20
    I tried to rent one also to drive before I buy one. I had a reservation from Budget that I made about 9 months ago for this month. At the time, their website said they featured the Ford Mustang. I made a resv. for one. By the time July rolled around, they had gotten wise to the popularity and put it in another, costlier rental category. I ended up with a Pontiac Vibe.......... Yes, I know. It was bad....
    You might call around to Budget and see though, since they have a few; you might get lucky.
  • chevy4lifechevy4life Member Posts: 20
    This is my biggest dilemma. Do I get the GT or the Pony Pkg V6? I like them both. I weighed the pros and cons, over and over. V6 only gets marginally better epa mileage than the GT; but, at $3.00/gal nearly, that might become important. But the GT is supposed to sound better than the V6 - that's a big + for the GT. But V6 is more affordable, and maybe more available, even w/ the pony pkg....
    I could go on and on, and I have been. I plan on waiting until Oct-ish to buy or order one, so I still have time for suggestions...
    I'd say if you're even having this discussion you really want the GT. If you can't wait for the GT or just can't afford the GT, get the V6 pony package. Don't do it for gas mileage. Chances are your real world mileage will suck with either one.

You could lease a V6 for 2 years. If you like it, keep it. If you still want the GT, they should be plentiful by then with at least one more special model to choose from plus more options.
    I agree with akirby.

The GT is a whole lot more fun than the V6. MPG differences would probably be negligible (1-3 MPG). The 4.6L V8 is just so sweet.

Another thing to consider, resale of the GT should be better than the V6, also.
  • deytreyderdeytreyder Member Posts: 4
    Age and wisdom have a price. Bad knees are my reason for an auto. Sold my 67 BB 4-speed Vette and my GT production date is 8/15
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    I will second both akirby and graphicguy. The difference between the V6 and the GT is night and day. I drove both and while I thought the V6 was nice, the GT is sublime. If you want to save money, don't care about fantastic performance, want a little more mpg and lower insurance premiums, and still want a Stang, than the V6 is viable. Remember about mpg though...if you drive the GT modestly, it gets decent mileage. Of course, asking me to drive my GT mellowly would be akin to telling a bird not to fly. After 2 months, I still go driving just for fun...

I must warn you though...I like many others have been bitten by the "mod bug." Upgrade to my Stang's interior, exterior, and performance have already cost me lots of money, marital harassment (in good fun), and good natured jokes. It's all worth it for my 3rd child :shades:
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    I too am going to make some "mods" to the beast....I am curious, what have you've done and kind of cost you've incurred?

I particularly interested in the interior/exterior. I am having some pin stripping done next week.
    Anyone have an idea when the new 06s' are being built and the turn around time for new or 05s' rolled over orders?
    title says it all

Also leaseing is not really a good idea. you are better off buying the V6, if you don't like it, you will get a good trade in.

Mark
    I plan to get an unfinished ABS plastic dash kit and paint it - like the Roush Stage 3 Mustang SEMA car. Maybe torch red - definitely something metallic w/clearcoat. I might do that instead of the interior upgrade and interior appearance package (red seats/mats/etc) and maybe do red leather door panels instead.
    is fine if you think you might want to get rid of the car in 2 years. Assuming you get a decent price and residual. If resale values are really high you can always buy out the lease and sell it yourself. The advantage is you won't have to make a big down payment, monthly payments are smaller and you won't have to worry about being upside down after 2 years.
    Of course buying and keeping it more than 2 years will always be cheaper.
  • cigarmanbluecigarmanblue Member Posts: 31
    the 06' started being built Aug. 6, anything before that will be an 05.
    Well, mine is a phased approach. I currently have two massive mods on Silver Bullit. They are a chrome license plate frame and GT Valve Caps... :shades:

I've ordered all of MGWs stuff though as well as Woodveiw Automotive's 11 piece Double Brushed Molded Dash Kit. I get to install all of that this weekend as well as some billet pedal covers and seat levers. Then I'm going into Zaino overdrive too!

I'm focusing on the interior first, then suspension, then tires/wheels, then the stripes, and then a supercharger. Probably going to take me 2 years to complete.
  • tothebatmobiletothebatmobile Member Posts: 6
    Thought I'd weigh in on a few recent posts:

Leasing: I've leased my last 4 cars, and this is my second Stang on a 3 year lease. My logic is that I don't like putting money in a depreciating asset, and it gives me 3 years to evaluate this car and any new ones. That said, if this '05 GT convertible holds up as well as my 2002 did, then I'm buying it for the $16,500 residual in 2008.

Packages: I've pimped mine with some chrome bezels on the foglights, chrome knobs on the a/c, and a personalized license plate frame. Small customizations that ran around $200 total.

Transmissions: I admit that a two door car should equal a manual, but having a back seat can rationalize driving an automatic. That said, I quote from the legendary text "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche"...."a real man has enough confidence to let the car shift itself."
  • bkizebkize Member Posts: 3
    My new '05 GT has just over 1,000 miles on it. So far, the car is averaging 13 MPG during city driving, which is quite a bit lower than expected. The mileage does not improve if I if I drive very "calmly".

I do live in Texas, where it's been hot (typically >90 deg F) since I've owned the car, so the car air conditioning is running all the time. However, my other vehicle gets normal gas mileage (per mfg specs), even with the the heat and aggressive driving.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this poor gas mileage?
    hmmmmm.....that is pretty low MPG, even if you kept your foot in it all the time. I'm getting about 17-18 MPG in town and 23-24 MPG on the highway. It's been a hot summer in the midwest, so my A/C is running all the time, too.

You might want to take it to the dealership and ask them. What kind of gas (brand) do you use? Do you have your trunk loaded down with "stuff"? Are you driving in 2nd and 3rd gear a lot?
    That is low. I just filled up and averaged 18 mpg with combined city/highway with some pretty aggressive driving. Based on what the trip computer tells me, I get 24 mpg on the highway at 80 mph with the A/C going and 16 in the city.
  • bkizebkize Member Posts: 3
    I'm going to take it to the dealer soon so they can investigate the 3,000-4,000 RPM dash rattle. It looks like I need to add "investigate poor gas mileage" to the list.

Yep, I'm using all the gears and can't say I spend an excessive amount in gears 2 and 3. The trunk is empty. I weigh less than 200 lbs and the rest of the car is usually passenger-free. I always put Premium Shell and Exxon gas in the car (91 octane).

Today I reset the MPG average and drove very, very sedately ... watching the in-dash MPG meter, shifting before 3,000 RPM in each gear, spending a lot of time in 5th gear, accelerating very slowly, and generally making sure the pedal was never more than halfway down. In other words, I drove "grandma style". I was very painful. :)

Net result after 30 or so miles: 16 MPG

Sheesh.
    Stop and go driving will KILL your gas mileage. And why are you using premium? Isn't the mustang tuned to run on 87? No need to run premium.
  • mustangdreamermustangdreamer Member Posts: 5
    Been without my computer for 3 weeks (electrical storm fried it), so glad I can finally read the posts here again. We've had our '05 GT for about a month now, after much hassle with local dealers and nearly giving up (see previous posts). We live in West Michigan, I took another posters' excellent advice and checked the Tampa/Orlando area for the car. Found one in Plant City Florida, a GT Deluxe, automatic, crimson leather, Shaker 500, Mineral Gray. By the way, Charles Draper of Jarrett Ford in Plant City is a great guy to do business with. We originally wanted white, but could not locate one so we settled for our second color choice...so glad we did! The mineral gray is a great color. In comparison the white looks very plain to me. The fantastic style of the car plus the color sure make it a headturner! Everywhere we go people are checking out the car and asking us what the color is called. The words we hear most often are "beautiful" and "sweeeeet".

I've never owned a car that is so much fun to drive. My husband and I bolt for the keys to be the one who gets to drive...I'm lovin' it!! We bought ours brand new, built in June. We haven't had any problems that I've seen posted here about the earlier built GTs. I love to hear the rumble of the exhaust and the speed and power this car has. Now I understand what everyone was talking about... I even get why people give their cars names. They definitely seem to have personality!

One last note, our local dealer that we tried to order an '05 from earlier this spring, and got such a run-around from, called and left a message on our answering machine yesterday saying they just got a white '06 GT in and he would give us first choice on it. Hmmmm....think I'll drive by the dealership on Monday just to say "No thanks, we found our dream car and an honest salesperson that didn't treat us like morons"! I can only repeat what so many have said in this forum, this car is most definitely worth the wait....you won't be sorry!! ;)
  • socal_racefansocal_racefan Member Posts: 17
    Do you have a CAI and a 91 tune on your mustang??? I hope you do if you are putting 91 octane in it. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but your car comes from the factory tuned to run on 87 octane... It would be an interesting test to switch over to 87 and see what happens to your mileage after a few tank fulls. Most folks I now who are using 91 have a CAI and a custom engine tune to run on the high octane. I'm no expert but if you have to plug a tuner into your car to get it to run the best on 91 I would think if you dont have one... run it on 87....
    I just checked while typing this... If you dont have a custom tune on your engine...Do not use 91. This is from the 2006 user manual:
    ""Octane recommendations:
    Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. We do not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as “Regular” that are sold with octane ratings of 86 or lower in high altitude areas. Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.
    Fuel quality:
    If you are experiencing starting, rough idle or hesitation driveability
    problems, try a different brand of unleaded gasoline. “Premium”
    unleaded gasoline is not recommended for vehicles designed to use
    “Regular” unleaded gasoline because it may cause these problems to
    become more pronounced. If the problems persist, see your authorized
    dealer.
    It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket products to your fuel
    tank if you continue to use high quality fuel of the recommended octane
    rating. Aftermarket products could cause damage to the fuel system.
    Repairs to correct the effects of using an aftermarket product in your
    fuel may not be covered by your warranty.""
  • shemekshemek Member Posts: 1
    I love Mustang 2005 and I don't understand your worries about Mustang MPG. Just think how much you pay for gasoline in US !!!!!!!!!!!!. Now, when crude oil is about 65 $, average gasoline price is about 2.50 $ per galon in US. I live in Poland, we earn a lot lot less than you and we pay....... 5.00 $ per galon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. How to maintain Stang 05 here ????? Don;t cry that gasoline prices are high, that MPG is so low. Just dont't do that when you live in US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God bless America and gasoline prices here !!!!!!!!