Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Heated seats are available for 2007.

Ouch.

Mark.
  • Options
    sonatabobsonatabob Member Posts: 15
    Having heated seats has made me decide I MUST have them but it is purely a comfort option. However, the feature that should be standard on all vehicles IMHO is heated outside mirrors. Not only are they vital in subfreezing conditions, when activated they also keep the lens dry in rainy conditions. Optimal visibility in all weather conditions is vital, and as rear-window defoggers have become standard so should heated outside rearview mirrors. Just because Mustang is a sporty vehicle shouldn't exempt it from being a smart one as well.
  • Options
    gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Finally got my dream car. Black '06 (built in January)5 speed Premium GT Coupe w/interior upgrade and active anti-theft. Got it at the X plan price (way under sticker and no haggling). Just moved from NY to NC so now I don't have to worry about salty roads and I can drive it confidently year round. I just hooked up XM radio and couldn't be happier. I just traded in a Pontiac GTP w/heated seats, and I never really used them much(even in NY). I was thinking about moving up to 18" tires from the stock 17". Any thoughts would be appreciated. Good to be part of the group.
  • Options
    husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    How did you hook up your XM radio? Did the dealer do it, an aftermarket shop or did you do it yourself?
    husker5
  • Options
    lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    The 18's are great but why stop there, put some 20's on, they look fantastic. Tire size is kind of small on the sidewall but it does not really hurt the ride.

D
  • Options
    smaher007smaher007 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone here actually own a GT with auto transmission? (c'mon, dont be afraid to admit it ;) )

I ask because I'm pretty bad with stick so I test drove an auto. However, the auto seemed to suck the life out of the GT. Another online reviewer echoed my thoughts exactly: "To me it seemed that the [auto] tranny had two states: not delivering enough power, or finally downshifting and delivering too much."

What does everyone else think? Is the auto any fun at all?
  • Options
    blackjacblackjac Member Posts: 11
    congrads i heve the same exact car what color inside ?? charcoal?? same options same color , but mine is an automatic, dont like to shift anymore. mine was built in feb. 06 what is this x-plan and how did u get it???
  • Options
    durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    Congrats on your birthday car, I got mine on Feb. 20, 06 Pony pkg. Convertible. Got 450 miles on it after 2 months.
    I plan to put also 4,000 mile/year, however I live in Southern California so I can drive it every month. I do not drive it on rainy weekends. And of course it is a weekend car. I plan to still have this car when I retire which is 16 years away, when I will be 63.
  • Options
    I need advice on long term low mileage operation of cars, is it true that if you keep automatic trans. cars parked for too long, it would damage the transmission? I have an automatic 06 pony pkg. convertible, I try to drive it midweek (wednesday) and it is driven every weekend. However it is much easier for me to just drive it on weekends. Do you have a manual or auto on your 91.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The only problem with extremely low mileage is if you drive only short trips where the engine doesn't have time to heat up sufficiently. As long as you're driving it once or twice a month for more than 15 minutes you're fine. If it's outside I'd recommend a cover.
  • Options
    spdwy33spdwy33 Member Posts: 21
    Took delivery of our premium GT convertible on Monday - absolutely perfect! We simply could not ask for a better car! Stunning to look at and simply a blast to drive!

But someone noticed that nowhere on the outside is one single 'Mustang' badge! Are we missing something? This seems really odd to me because I would expect Ford to want the brand recognition. But then again; we all know it is a Mustang!
  • Options
    The theory was the car and the pony emblem says it all.
  • Options
    Hey blackjac,
    I have the charcoal interior as well. The X plan is sponsored by participating employers. It is just a notch higher than a Ford employee would pay (Xplanners pay about $500-600 under invoice). Not a bad deal especially since there is no negotiationg involved.
    I actually hooked up a portable XM (roadyXT)$29 online + $10 shipping. It fits really well with the mount they provided and the wires don't get in the way at all since it is mounted close enough to the power outlet. The I placed the magnetized antenna right behind the rearview mirror. Reception is awesome and I can remove it easily for indoor use. I hear Ford is going to put Sirius in the Mustangs next year, but I am a big XM fan (MLB, etc.) Don't care for Sirius programming.
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    This is a good read on the demise of SVT:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=109512

Pretty sad.
  • Options
    pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Charcoal interior and silver exterior look better every day.

Watched a Speed Channel show of a Barry custom refurbish of a '69 SS Camaro in silver and charcoal. Final product was down, bahd, beautiful.

Black Mustang: guy is too serious, too heavy, trying too hard to look bad (insecure).

Red Mustang: "Hey, look at me, me, me, me, me, me."

Blue, tungsten, etc.: Just plain bad taste. Do you listen to accordian music?

:shades:
  • Options
    From your link, rorr,

It appears that the balls-out effort to build the Ford GT by the company's 100th anniversary took its toll on the SVT staff, slowing development of more mainstream future products, such as the next-generation Lightning, an updated SVT Focus and an SVT version of the Fusion.

R u serious? Who cares a mosquito's [non-permissible content removed] about the Focus or Fusion? We're talking muscle cars that inspire passion, the new Mustang, the forthcoming SVT Mustang Cobra GT 500. Who the hell cares what insurance salesmen drive?

:shades:
  • Options
    oh.!! , so what color is your'e 05-06 mustang??? OH YOU DONT HAVE ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE .
  • Options
    Remember, oil wears out just sitting over time.

Don't go more than 6 months between oil changes, even if you are not getting 5,000 miles in.

Mark.
  • Options
    Silver exterior, charcoal interior, manual '05 GT Premium coupe w/ all options 'cept 1000w pimp noise maker. :shades:
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I need advice on long term low mileage operation of cars, is it true that if you keep automatic trans. cars parked for too long, it would damage the transmission? I have an automatic 06 pony pkg. convertible, I try to drive it midweek (wednesday) and it is driven every weekend. However it is much easier for me to just drive it on weekends. Do you have a manual or auto on your 91.

Longterm layup is fine as long as you take proper precautions.

How long will it be sitting in the question. If sitting for more than a month w/o being run, the fuel should have stabilizer added (stabil should be added into any fuel that isn't used within a month or so) and the engine should be fogged if it's not going to be started, say all winter. Most people I know that store cars for the winter, start them once a month or so to avoid having to use fogging oil.

Regarding an auto trans, I would just let it idle a bit before putting it into gear to make sure hydraulic pressure is built up and fluid is flowing.
  • Options
    Presently I drive the car on weekends only, about 50 to 100 miles each weekend, averaging about 300 miles a month.
    I gas it up, twice a month , since I average 18 mpg almost half a tank gets replace each time. I live in warm and relatively dry southern California, the car is garaged and since this is a driven for pleasure car, it gets the proper warm up of 1 minute , then a slow drive the first mile, before being driven normally. Is it okay to use synthetic oil on a V6 mustang, it is due for its first oil change at 90 days, it will only have a 1000 miles, I plan to change oil only every 9 months or 3000 miles.
  • Options
    I drive it 50 to 100 miles each weekend, averaging about 300 miles a month. Each trip about 15 to 20 minutes, sometimes over half an hour. All the proper warm-ups etc. This is my first serious "survivor car project" I tried to do that to my 04 Jeep Wrangler, but decided to make it my daily driver instead after I got the mustang, the mustang is a much more pleasant and enjoyable car to drive, the wrangler just didn't fit the role as a driven for pleasure vehicle, plus its top was too difficult to use. And off course the car is garaged.
  • Options
    bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    Pony,

Just read the message about colors and I just can't believe you said that blue is "just plain bad taste."

Both my son and I have '05 windveil blue mustang converts and they draw raves everywhere we go. I have to say though that ever since we bought the cars we do have a preference for accordian music!!
  • Options
    ahahaahahahahaahahah thats tellum lololo shelby had that color blue except he put white racing stripes on the car, and it GROWELED hahahahahaha, im sending you a link to LAWRENCE WELK.com he was the king of accordian music
  • Options
    That is what I was concerned about too, that oil wears out over time. I heard that full synthetics can retain their protection much longer. My 06 vert has a built date of September that makes its oil about 7 months old now. It only has 500 miles on the clock after 60 days of ownership.
    I plan to change oil next month, the car might have 800 miles. I checked the manual for the 4.0, it requires 5w-30. Motorcraft does not have a synthetic blend for that weight, I might go for full synthetic motorcraft 5w-30, Motorcraft because I will have the car serviced at the Ford dealer, due to warranty issues, and maybe I can go one year oil changes at 3000 miles?
  • Options
    I saw this on a Mustang website, sequential tail lights for the 05-06 Mustang. It uses the OEM wire harness for the 06, there is a $40 core refund, if you send back your present wire harness. I think this is a neat upgrade to a Mustang. I use to have a 1967 Mercury Cougar back in 1981, my first car (first new was a Mustang fox body). Anyway it had sequential tail lights, but back then before solid state electronics, it was very expensive to fix. I think installing this sequential tail light won't really screw up our warranty, specially on the power train.
  • Options
    A vun, a two, a tree, vunderful vunderful music! Bring on da bubbles!

Just saw a movie, Brick, where they use an old Mustang coupe, perhaps '69, exhaust growling nastily, and very very black, driven by an ultraviolent sociopath, meant, of course, to evoke evil. :shades:
  • Options
    As long as the oil meets the OEM requirements you can use any brand you want. Mobil-1 comes in 5W-30 (at Costco). You can take that to the dealer if you want.
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Most so called full synthetic oils really are not. I would use Mobil1. Why aren't you people driving these cars more? The fun is in the drive - its all about the drive. Yeah, I like car shows and museums too, but the drive-the drive :)
    -Loren
  • Options
    snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    Has anyone seen a color chart for the 07 GT? My dealer is taking orders for the 07 and has told me that two new colors are available, but he has no idea what they really look like. The new colors are: Grabber Orange and Alloy. What color could Alloy be except silver? They already have enough muckeldedunn silvers on the palate now. What happened to BRIGHT colors?. The interior colors are black, red, dove, parchment and another one that I cannot spell. Now one must order a package to get any of the colors except black, grey or parchment. That sounds crazy but that is what my dealer told me. Anyone know anything about this? I want Windveil blue with black interior and charcoal dash panel, no spoiler, 17 bright machined wheels, automatic trans, and interior upgrade. What is X plan and how do I get the car for below invoice?? My dealer said that it would cost me 25200 plus ttl. Good or Bad?? By the way, are the 06 and up cars less trouble than the early cars?? I cancelled an order for an 05 because of all the problems listed here in the past.
  • Options
    I like driving the car on weekends only, because you really get to enjoy driving it, and 50% of it is with the top down. During the week , I prefer to drive my commuter vehicle , the jeep wrangler , which takes all the tough road conditions in stride, and is parked for 9 hours in the hot dusty parking lot everyday. Then a switch occurs on friday night, the jeep hibernates for 2 days and the mustang comes alive.
  • Options
    Grabber orange is...well....ORANGE!

Alloy is a dark grey, almost black:

X plan is for Ford suppliers and it's 0.4% below dealer invoice, but you must acquire a pin number from your employer if you're eligible or a Ford employee. But it's still up to the dealer to accept it or not - they aren't required to sell you a mustang on X plan even if you're eligible.
  • Options
    i want to change the mufflers on my 06 , axle back i like the jba, and ford racing mufflers ,made by boral, i love the sound of my GT, i just want to turn up the volume with out changing the sound. i think the sound is perfect. WHAT MUFFLER DO I BUY???????
  • Options
    smaher007smaher007 Member Posts: 14
    You won't here me complaining anymore about the mustang not being powerful enough. I dont know what was up with the first one i tested, but I found one that can really pin you to the seat! :D I bought it that day: 06 GT premium in Vista Blue w/ Medium Parchment. Even got a good deal on it!

I don't know what pony pirate was talking about but vista blue is definitely an awesome color! The only color I can imagine that would be better would be the Highland Green for the real Bullitt look (see Motor Trend June 05), but thats not even a choice at this time.
  • Options
    The wheels and spoiler on the "alloy" GT 500 Cobra protype soft-top (picture above) are not available for regular Mustangs.
  • Options
    bigo08bigo08 Member Posts: 102
    i rented one this weekend... awsome car.. thats wat a american should be.. RWD and V8
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    That alloy color looks like titanium.
  • Options
    The one thing people who use sythetic don't realize is that if you switch back to regular oil, you can have problems.

Also Ford requires 5w-20 which is available in Mobile 1.

If you are really serious though use can use what most amature racers use in their cars.

www.amsoil.com

Mark
  • Options
    Ford requires 5w-20

For most Ford engines, yes, but I checked the owner's manual and the 4.0L SOHC V6 still calls for 5W-30.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Yep. Does in our '06 Explorer too.
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Wow, Grabber Orange looks like our Cal Trans color. This would be pretty cool issue for the road gang to drive. California should look into selling some trucks and get the Grabber. Must be one of those things that look better in person. :P
    -Loren
  • Options
    jsmokejsmoke Member Posts: 3
    Evil black? Whaddaya some kinda creampuff casper milktoast?
    Gotta black 06 GT, traded back those cheesy brushed alum 17s for the stock bullits. Pull into the garage the other nite & a carload of 17 yr old girls pulls in behind me lookin for a ride. Question: Don't any older broads dig this vehicle? Black Power!!
  • Options
    I don't think Cal Trans could handle a car like the Mustang that gets the job done. :shades:
  • Options
    bb5457bb5457 Member Posts: 1
    got a '06 coupe first of year. the wife wanted a rag top, after visit to insurance agent settled for a coupe. but I have been thinking. does anybody make a targa-type after market roof? I remember back in the '70's some places did t-top conversions, and I think a targa would keep the sleek roof line that I like with the sun she wants. Does any one know of something that would be available?
  • Options
    I agree, I just changed the oil and filter and used 5w-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic, cost $5.50 per quart, the V6 used 5 quarts, actually put in 4 1/2, I guess the 1/2 was the old oil. Mobil 1 had the spec. that Ford requires for the 4.0 V6. Since this car will only travel 4000 miles a year, it should be cost effective to use synthetic permanently. Also it was actually easy to change the Mustangs oil, the traction control really makes it easy to climb up the plastic ramp that I bought at Pepboys last year for $20.
  • Options
    I have the 07 color album at my dealer.

Alloy/Carbon code G5 is a metalic black with silver flakes.

Similar to Dark Stone/Charcoal Beige code T7 which is a metalic black with gold flakes.

This color should look awesome and not be as hard to upkeep as black.

I've looked at a black truck and a darkstone truck sitting on our lot right next to each other.

On the black the rain drop stains and other dirt from sitting on the lot pollen etc is clearly visable.

On the darkstone, from five feet the car looks looks clean...get close up and you can see its as dirty as the black car.

I can't wait to see Alloy in person!

Mark
  • Options
    Saw a silver GT ragtop in front of the dealers' today. Won't be there long. :shades:
  • Options
    Hey, anyone know about tuners vs Jet chips? Which is better? Do they really work, Ease of use, cost, etc? Any info would be appreciated. :)
  • Options
    tmtgttmtgt Member Posts: 18
    I have the ford racing/borla mufflers on my 05 gt ragtop. I love them...People say the sound matches the look of the car. At first, I was worried that they would be too loud.
    But they have a nice low rumble at idle, not loud at all, however, when you get on it, you can feel and hear it...and it may be my imagination, but I think the overall performance is improved. I have an air charger on it and I am going to reflash it as soon as I see a good price on ebay. I got the muffllers at a good price on ebay, and there is another set out there right now. Good luck on your decision...let me know what happens.
  • Options
    the 2005+ mustangs don't have replaceable chips - they must be reflashed.