Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,096
    If I'm redlining the GT all the time, I definitely hit that 15 MPG mark. But, if I tip the throttle only occasionally, and drive the Mustang GT halfway sanely, I'm getting between 17-18 MPG in town and 22-24 MPG on the highway.
  • vppreachervppreacher Posts: 72
    There is nothing wrong with either the V6 or the GT. They are made for different market segments. The V6 has 202 hp and has some good acceleration. It has plenty of horsepower for a daily driver and the average user. The GT, on the other hand, was made for the muscle car enthusiast. I drove both, but the acceleration and handling of the GT is exhilirating. I would also guess the GT may hold its resale value a little better. The bad news is GTs are going for MSRP and a long wait as an order or above MSRP and "catch as catch can" on a dealer's lot. You may be able to get a better deal on a V6 and the selection on dealer lots is MUCH greater.

I also average around 17-18 MPG City and 24-25 MPG highway. I've owned 2 Honda CRXs, a Honda Civic, and a Ford Expedition. My GT is easily the funnest car of the bunch....
  • Couple comments, Lavrish,
    You write "your going to pay for it especially in fuel as well as insurance and possibly engine wear. Now that is somewhat a guess on my part but logic says more stress on engine parts means higher rate of failure."
    Insurance? yeah, probably.
    Fuel? If I remember correctly the EPA mileage stickers for the V-6 and V-8 are almost identical, within 1 MPG. It would seem to me that driving style would dictate actual mileage much more than horsepower in this case
    Wear and Tear? Here's where I relly have a bone to pick. Which engine receives more wear, assuming similar driving styles? 1) a 300 HP engine running at 75%? or a 250 HP engine running at 100%? I think the answer is clear. Of course, if all you use is the V-6 at 75% aren't you still causing more "wear and tear" on the engine than a V-8 at (now) 50%?
    THen you speak of tweaking your V-6 to get more horsepower. More wear and tear? You've got to be kidding me!

Pick the V-6 for the price, pick it for the lower volume at the tailpipe, pick it for the lower insurance premium, but DON"T pick it for the longevity, especially of you want to try and force tune V-8 HP out of it
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Actually the epa fuel economy is 19-28 for the V6 and 17-25 for the V8. Still not a huge difference but measurable.
  • I drove a Roush stage 2 a few years back, and about had to wear a kidney belt after about 50 miles. Think it had 40's or 45's on the rear and 55's on the front, but I'm not sure. Fast as hell, no fun to drive. I was a passsenger in an '02 Saleen which didn't ride as badly, but didn't ride as well either, hence my comments. The Saleen was merry hell on the track though. I wasn't driving, but I could see the difference on the track.
    IMHO, most people who buy Saleens and all people who buy Roush stage 1's are the same type who buy Hummers or Expeditions that never see mud in the fenderwells. Bling, to be sure.
    And that's about all
    Out
  • O - my - god!!!
    You've made me so - like- sad!!!!
    a Chick car color? My mascera is running!!!

Really, Sonic Blue? Vista Blue?
    Someones been reading the paint chips at the Hardware store too long!
    Even the NAME vista blue is more feminine
    Sounds even better when you say it with a lisp!

Color is in the eye of the beholder, Sonic Blue ROCKS!
    'course, I might be a little prejudiced :P
    sonic....I tend to agree with you regarding the aftermarket manufacturers. At this point, it's more about "bling". As of yet, they don't bring much to the table from a "higher performance version over a Mustang GT.

I find the ride of the current Mustang GT to be just fine. As others have stated, though....they think something is wrong since it is a firm ride. Of the few trips I've taken, I found the Mustang GT to be quite comfortable.
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    Is the same as my 260bhp 99 Mustang GT. Around 15 - 16 mpg city . That is impressive considering it has 40 more bhp!

I am continually amazed at the sound of this car. The exhaust burbling and cracking and back firing, everyone is surprised to know that it is stock!
    "I am continually amazed at the sound of this car. The exhaust burbling and cracking and back firing, everyone is surprised to know that it is stock!"

Agreed, yet to hear some owners talk, they think something's wrong with the car. Like you, to me it's a mechanical symphony!!!!
  • Hey all, I just got my Silver Satin Mustang GT a week ago and I LOVE it! I had placed an order with a Ford dealer in the Los Angeles area (Ford West in Bellflower) in early June and was told about a 3 month wait. On July 4th, they call me and tell me that someone who had ordered the exact same car as I did backed out and did I want it? (It had arrived the day before from the factory) Went down and got it right away! After a week with it I am delighted beyond my wildest expectations! Oh BTW, for those that hear a clunk when shifting from either Rear to Drive or vice versa, let the car stop for 2 or 3 seconds and there is no clunk. This is encouraged in the car's manual.

Ok, now my 2 questions. Out of curiosity, I checked carfax.com and entered the VIN number. It came out saying:
    "IMPORTANT! Records were found in the CARFAX Report for this FORD MUSTANG GT that may confirm a clean title history or reveal potential problems. Find out by ordering the complete CARFAX Vehicle History Report"
    Is this just so I can purchase a $24.95 telling me that my new car is clean or could there be actually something wrong with it?
    Question #2: On an earlier post , someone said that turning off the traction control is preferred since most of us don;t drive on snow or mud in the summer. Driving in Los Angeles, do I need it on?
    Thanks for this great board and for those of you waiting for the Mustang GT, the wait will be WORTH it! :)
    David Ocampo
    Sounds like they just want you to pay for the report. Why would you check a brand new car? Unless it had lots of miles on it I wouldn't worry about it.

Just leave the traction control on all the time - that's the default. You won't know when you'll need it and it doesn't hurt to leave it on. Only turn it off if you expect and want to spin the tires on purpose.
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Posts: 218
    hey gguy - thanks for the info...it will be passed on to the co-worker.....I think he 'loves' the Stang, but the ability to haul people/stuff will sway him into the station wagon.. .oops...sorry...Magnum........!!

and don't worry, I'll come back here to harass you from time to time!!.....can't let the Ford folks have all the fun.......

BTW, you recovered from the 'incident'?......hope all is well!
  • I checked Carfax out of curiosity. When I picked up my new Mustang, it only had 10 miles on it. So I guess I shouldn't worry about it. Also, thanks for the tip about the traction control. I'll just leave it on and keep driving! :P
    David
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    First traction control uses the ABS sensors to compare drive wheels speeds. Where a wheel speed difference is detected and the computer determines that the difference is due to a lose of traction as opposed to going around a corner, the computer applies the brake to the slipping wheel up to several times per second so that you do not loose traction. In extreme instances, the computer will reduce the throttle.

Traction control is totally invisible until it is needed. ALSO the Mustang GT traction control can recognize a driver induced "burn out" and will let you light up the tires!!!

Mark
  • cmnottcmnott Posts: 200
    This is the first Mustang to have a 2.5" exhaust system which virtually eliminates the need to go aftermarket. If you want to do anything, go with axle back because all the rest of the piping is the same size.

Of course, if you want to remove the cats, you will gain power.
  • detailzdetailz Posts: 47
    I have had a Redfire GT Coupe on order for four months and was informed this afternoon that my order would not be filled??? When asking the dealer does that mean that we move to the 2006, they could not tell me. Anyone have any idea what is going on with Ford and these dealerships? I cannot believe how micky mouse this whole thing has been over the past few months. Would really like to hear from anybody who might have a clue as to what is going on.
    They ran out of slots to build all the 05 GTs that had been ordered, so those should automatically be converted to 06 orders. If your dealer isn't telling you this then they're clueless or purposely misleading you. It's not Ford. Ford has no control over the dealers.
  • vppreachervppreacher Posts: 72
    I was just curious to know does the Active Anti-theft system automatically arm and lock the doors if you leave the vehicle for a period of time? I read the owner's manual, but I may have missed that section. I've waited for a while and the system does not seem to auto arm.

Is there a way to enable this feature?
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    The new Mustang has won four races in Grand-Am Cup against BMW M3s, Porsche 911s, Nissan 350Zs, and other cars.

check these links

racing one

racing two