Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,892
    Sonic....temps were hovering near 100. The 'vert was black with black interior. Since it wasn't my car, I didn't mess with it too much other than to kick it down (auto trans) a couple of times.

Even the exhaust sound on the V6 had a nice snarl to it....nothing approaching the GT, but good nonetheless.

Besides, if I peeled off my shirt while driving, the ceramic color of my skin would have blinded other drivers...... :P :shades:

detailz....talking to my dealer's SM yesterday, he said he expected that the '06 demand to be even higher than the '05s. Only reason, no one knew whether the '05 Mustangs would sell well last winter. That was the only reason I was able to get mine at the X plan price when I bought it last winter.

Now that everyone knows the Mustang is a huge hit, the SM said he's got twice as many orders for '06s than he did for '05s at the same time last year. He's expecting his entire '06 GT allotment to be sold out by Jan 1st '06. He's a "straight-up" guy. He said all '06 GTs will be sold at MSRP. Although, he did say he's got some Steedas and Rousch's on the way, they don't do "additional dealer markup". He said they tell their customers upfront that there is no negotiations on GTs....the sticker is the price. He also said the longest he had a GT on the lot was 72 hours....it was yellow. Most were either ordered, or sold off the carrier when it hit the dealership. He "ebayed" one with no reserve that sold for $1K over sticker. He mentioned he wouldn't do that again since the first two "highest bidders" tanked on him and the eventual buyer couldn't get financing until the F&I guy was finally able to convince a "sub prime" lender to pony up the money at......ready for this.......17% APR. That buyer must have wanted the car badly.
  • "17% APR"

Ouch. :sick:
  • vppreachervppreacher Posts: 72
    17%....WoW!...I wonder where in the cellar of credit card scores was that person's #!
  • detailzdetailz Posts: 47
    I have to ask the question in the fact that you are the "host"!. What is the real answer to the question as far as when people will receive Mustangs that have been "custom" ordered? I've been waiting over 4 months and just received word that they will roll it over into a 06...just great...does this mean yet another 4 months?
    PLEASE help us out here ..... I am about ready to give up and go to a Charger or a GTO......are these great questions for the "wait times" and "buying experiences" in your postings?????
  • alexndsalexnds Posts: 2
    According to the Edmunds.com and other sites, a V6, non-convertible, should cost about $20k and a V8, non convertible, should be between $25k-$28k depending on options. However, the V6 is far more abundantly sold and I've seen 1 year old cars, that is, cars with about 10,000 miles on them from the early part of the model year fetching about $22k, and V8 is in short supply. So basically, if you're really in the market for a V8 version, and you don't take alot of options, be prepared for some price gouging and full sticker and expect to be around $30k more realistically speaking. Right now, the car is hot, and dealers are getting full sticker on the V8, and some, above sticker. The Pontiac GTO, either with the Corvette derived 5.7 Liter, or the newer one, the 6.0 Liter has about 100 ponies over the Mustang and you can find 1 year old 5.7 Liter Gto for the price of a new V-6 Mustang. In a year from now, things will cool off.
    detailz...
    Ford admitted that 13,000 '05 GTs would not get built. But, much of the ordering "snafus" can be attributable to the dealer's themselves. Customer ordered cars are sold to someone else willing to spend more money for it than the person who ordered it. While I don't think that's right, I've seen it over and over again. Dealer tells the customer who ordered that it's Ford's fault. Well, those 13,000 that didn't get built can be attributable to Ford, but if you ordered 4 months ago, I don't think that's your case. At the very least, your dealer didn't communicate with you the status of your order. At worst, they sold it out from under you.....didin't give you a 10 priority....or, didn't have any allotment left (and conveniently didn't tell you).

While the Charger or GTO are fine alternatives, they aren't Mustangs. We've already beaten to death the differences, so I won't go there.

If you're still in the hunt for a Mustang GT, I'd find a dealer who will order an '06. One who will give you a 10 priority and will give you your VOC (vehicle order confirmation). I doubt any dealer is out of allotment on '06s yet, but I'm not 100% certain of that. If all that transpires, then the first '06s will start rolling off the line next month. I would think that 8-10 weeks delivery would be reasonable if you find an honest dealer.

I think you should be able to get an '06 Mustang GT premium manual tranny, all loaded up for around $28K (MSRP).

On the other hand, GTOs are plentiful. They aren't on any special programs for GM's GTO pricing, so expect to pay around $32K (since GM stated they aren't renewing any employee discount plans). I'm guessing, but since the Charger is just hitting the street, you might find it difficult to get a hemi model at any substantial discount right now. That puts it in that 30ish ballpark, too. There's already a $500 rebate on them, so my guess is they aren't coming out of the starting gate too strong.

Depends on what you want. Do you want instant gratification (get the GTO or Charger)? Or, do you want a Mustang?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Imagine that you are an executive at a very conservative company run by accoutants and you have to predict sales on the new 2005 Ford Mustang.

What do you use as a guide? Previous Mustang sales?
    Do you take the next step and increase those sales over the previous year by a figure based on the increase the last time a new body was introduced?

I can definately tell you what you don't do. You don't predict that Mustang is going to have its best year in over 14 years. You don't predict that demand for the V8 will be at its highest in recent memory. You don't predict that it will take 190,000 to even come close to meeting demand.

YOU DON'T predict that Mustang will sell better than 13 different entire car brands or will account for 2% of the new car sales in the US.

Its easy to blame ford. But if you wanted a new Mustang, you would have done what 192000 other people already did, got your order in early...

Mark
    Mark....all good points!
  • I have a 2005 convertible GT. The more I drive it, the more impressed I am. That said, I have two minor gripes, and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered these.

The convertible top process and mechanism is not near as good as the one on my previous 2003 Mustang GT. The 2005 seems to take forever to raise and lower, and it doesn't seem to want to align correctly with the windshield at times.

On a couple of occasions, the driver window has automatically lowered itself after I used the automatic up feature. It's almost as though it hit something on the roof and reversed itself. This may be related to my issue above.

Anyone else having these quirks?
    WELL SAID, Mark!

It's funny how we expect perfection from everyone else (car makers, mechanics, doctors, etc), yet how quickly we forget all the mistakes or bad decisions we make. Some people can't get the concept that only hindsight is 20/20.

The current stratospheric gas prices only adds more weight to your already strong argument. I think people blame Ford for making a car that is "too" popular. It is probably one of the greatest all around sports cars in history. It's fast, handles like a dream, even at MSRP is a steal, and looks sublime.
  • I think the slow rate of raising/lowering has to do with the new "Z" design of the top. It's worth the wait, and I'm actually thinking of losing the boot cover I ordered, with the top down it just doesn't seem necessary. I do notice that it takes a little ooomph to get the top latched, but as I've only had the car three weeks, I am likening it to a new pair of jeans or boots. Kind of needs to be broken in to fit just right. I too am interested to see what other ragtop owners think.
    I haven't had the problem with the power windows lowering, but there is some sort of sensor built into the motor to prevent injury during the auto-up function. Something is setting it off prematurely, perhaps a small adjustment is necessary

• Besides, if I peeled off my shirt while driving, the ceramic color of my skin would have blinded other drivers......

LOL graphicguy. sooner or later I'm going to have to drive the car on a rainy day. THEN I'll put the top up

By the way, How'd the A/C work? I 'm not even sure where the button is ;)
  • motorhead1motorhead1 Posts: 111
    I would love to have a new 05 Mustang but until the price comes off list I will wait.
  • I agree, we can't blame Ford for making a car people want. Speaking for my own frustrations, however, I think some dealers are causing a lot of angst. I don't even have a problem with price gouging...if someone wants to pay it, go for it.

What I don't understand is why dealers can't give straight answers on manufacturing and delivery status. I have to think there's a computer somewhere that knows when an order came in, how many are in front of it, and how long it takes to make one. With those three pieces, the math should be fairly simple.

That said, I've never worked in the car industry, and may have no idea what I'm talking about!
    No argument at all about the dealers. Ford, undoubtedly, has some unreputable, unscrupulous dealers

I do have to say the dealer I used did give me straight answers. Taking the old adage, "Caveat Emptor" in mind, I "verified" what they said via the ERL phone number. In the end, I had the car in 7 weeks (they predicted 8-12 weeks) and below MSRP ($500 military discount and $500 price lock before MSRP price increase). My point is just that there are good dealers out there.
  • I ordered my 05' GT in April, and was told it might come in at the end of summer. I got word a few weeks ago that i had to roll it over to an 06' b/c all 05's stopped production on Aug. 6. There were a few cancelled orders and I moved up the list at my dealer. Mine is schedulled for build on Aug. 8 and hoping to take delivery by the end of the month.
  • saabnjsaabnj Posts: 1
    Hi all, New to this forum. I just ordered an 06 Mustang Convertible. I have a priority of 20 is that good ? The dealer says to look for the delivery in January. Has anyone experience similar delivery dates ?
  • detailzdetailz Posts: 47
    Still waiting for the coupe I've ordred as I rolled over the order at the end of July to an 06.....Been on order since mid March.....got a priority "new" level of 10 from the dealer only because I asked for it..?... was a 40 priority level with the 05...... learned it off this this forum..thank you! Does this mean that I get put in the front of the pack because I never got my 05 Redfire Coupe?

Also.there seems to be some confusion with the 18" wheels offered. I ordered the polished Al. wheels for mine...is this right? or are they "satin" finish; "fan" type at the beginning?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    20's not bad - 10 is the best. January seems too long - maybe your dealership doesn't have much allocation? I'd try another dealer just to be safe (a larger one with more allocation).
    Sonic.....the heat has been brutle here in the midwest. Although, the last week or so temps have dropped to the "high 80s", before that, temps hovered at or near 100 with high humidity. A/C freezes me out once the car cools down.

Whenever I drive any convertible I always tell myself I'll buy one. But, in reality, around here, a 'vert is only useful about 6-8 weeks out of the year. Early Fall/early Spring...and a day here & there during the summer. It's either too hot (June/July/August/September) or too cold (November thru the beginning of April).

On a side note, as I put more miles on my GT, it's clearly getting even faster than when it was new. I would imagine if I were to take it to the track, I could hit high 4s 0-60 and mid 13s in the 1/4. Shifter is also becomimg more "snikety" as I put some wear on it.

The more miles I pile on, the better I like this car.

It still gathers a crowd no matter where I go with it. More importantly, whenever I see it parked in my garage or whenever I get into it, it always brings a huge smile to my face. Now, if I could only get strangers to keep from asking to put their butts in the seats and fondling the interior (accompanied by "oohhh....ahhh....nice"), I'll be happy.