Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• I have a 2007 GT Convert. with the cloth top and with the top up I think it is very quiet. There is less road/transfer noise then my SUV. With the top down there is a back wind but you can hold a normal conversation to about 45 mph. After that you have to start raising your voice. I absolutely love the car and it is a blast to drive.
  • moronixmoronix Posts: 29
    I also have a 07 GT convertible and I absolutely love it. The road noise with the top up is pretty good for a convertible. I didn't get the cloth top. I had a 91 and a 99 Convertible and it's definitely an improvement over them. I honestly don't think there is anything you can do with the top down on any convt. The Shaker500 makes more than enough noise. I swear the 1000 is not worth the extra money. The sound is better than my 03 Vette with Bose speakers.
    My Mustang: RedFire/Black top/California Special option/5 spd manual/Sirius Radio/Dark Charcoal & Dove interior. Best Mustang they ever made.
  • ronslakie1ronslakie1 Posts: 57
    Just bought an 07 GT convertible with the tan top. My wife wanted the black top because she said it wouldn't show the dirt, now I am faced with the challenge of really keeping this top clean. Appreciate any recommendations anyone has on cleaning the convertible top.

Ron
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    A auto top repair man told me that the biggest mistake people make with their convertible tops is they use 2 harsh a detergent and fail to completely rinse the top which causes a build up of dirty residue.

Never use an automatic car wash as the rinse is not close to being long enough.

Mark.
  • moronixmoronix Posts: 29
    I only know that Ford sells stuff to clean/maintain the convertible tops. Haven't tried any yet but have to find something soon. I Keep my Mustang GT/CS in the garage so it helps preserve the top.
  • 1) Enjoy the ride! I've got a tan top on my '05 GT and have had no problems keeping it clean. I use a very mild mix of ArmorAll "carwash" detergent and wash the top first (before the road grime and brake dust gets in the bucket. Also, I dry it with the rest of the car so it doesn't spot up.
  • When I bought mine I looked at several convertibles and the Mustang was by far the "quietest" . I put that in quotes because you will never get as quiet with a ragtop as you will with a hardtop, but the trade off is worth it. My wife and I can hold a conversation up to about 60 or so. With the top up the ride is a little bit noisier than a hardtop, although you can hear more of the passing trucks, getto thumpers, etc. The best thing about the 'Stang is that there is little or no "buffeting" (sp) that I have experienced in several other makes. You know, that ear-popping noise-non-noise you get in a sedan when you open only the right rear window.
    Tops down, everyone!
  • Agreed, NEVER NEVER go through a car wash!!
    Not only are they hard on the top and the high pressure jets kill the seals, but jetting 2000psi recycled mud on your paint and smearing it around with those 20 year old dishrags is enough to make me cry :cry:
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... My wife and I can hold a conversation up to about 60 or so. ...

So when you're tired of her talking, you speed up? :P
  • pstaffierpstaffier Posts: 2
    i have an 06 gt makes noise out of right front car olny has 1000 miles has done it since new. does any body have the same problem ! and how about a fix because ford says that its ok because orther new ones on the lot do the same thing
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    You'd think they would've fixed that on the assembly line by now. :sick: There is a TSB for clunking front suspension. They have to replace the front strut mount bearing or something like that to fix the problem.
  • So when you're tired of her talking, you speed up?

LOL!! Only to about 80 or so :shades:
  • mikew6mikew6 Posts: 2
    Ford has a product called Triple clean that works very well on my convertible top. Hope that helps. :shades:
  • rvdmadrvdmad Posts: 6
    In Dec. of last year I purchased a 2006 Mustang. I have had a great deal of difficulty in seeing the speedometer and Tachometer during daylight hours. The gauges are recessed about four inches in the dash and have a black background, white numbers, and red needles. The reflection on the glass makes it impossible to see the gauges. At best I must guess at my speed. I am constantly concentrating on the speedometer in an effort to see it which is a real hazard while driving. At dusk and at night the gauges are fine because of the backlighting and no reflection.

The Ford service department tells me that this is a common complaint and that Ford does not have any fixes for this problem.

Has anyone found a fix for this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron D
    I have a new GT convertible and I am curious abot the thin plastic coverings that are available to put over the headlights. They are advertised as preventing the lights from sustaing damage from a thrown stone but I am wondering if they will protect against the headlight yellowing. Does anyone have any experience with this.

Thanks,
    Ron S
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,702
    Have you tried polarized sunglasses?
  • toyeboytoyeboy Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 GT convertible with the cloth top also. I have a 98 Sebring Jxi (Chrysler) ">with cloth top I bought new 9 years ago. I really have never worried about the top, washing it with regular car wash soap or dish soap when I don't have any, and making sure it is thoroughly dry after washing before leaving it down. It looks pretty good, and has no tears or leaks after all this time. The only thing I have had to do was get the seams re-sewn last summer, which was much cheaper than a new top! The guy who sowed it for me suggested putting scotch guard on it on a regular basis to keep it looking good. He said they all come treated with a water proofing agent, but it wears off over time.

Of course, I find the best way to keep the top looking good is to keep it down. ;)
  • novellnovell Posts: 26
    Thinking about purchasing an Automatic, any idea how much under invoice I should shoot for? I know their is $1645 worth of rebates until 7/2/07. One dealer wanted me to pay $500 over invoice, I think it is unreasonable due to slow Mustang sales. Advice?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Not the topic of this Forum, but peeps pay $800 over invoice at my dealer for Mustang GTs. Especially if they are Stick Convertibles which are rare.

Sales may have slowed. but Inventory is not backed up.
    Econ 101 is SUPPLY AND DEMAND. Right now, demand may be down, but supply is also down so they are still basically in balance.

Also, 07 production ends this week. It will probably be 2 to 4 weeks before 08s begin to arrive so dealers understand that they have to make what they have on the lot last.

A year ago, dealers would take any deal that came along, secure that they had the inventory to erase your bad deal with someone else's good one.

I remember going into Employee Pricing 2 years ago, my dealership had almost 100 Explorers on the ground and 100 or so F-150s. Right now we have less then 12 Explorers! and maybe about 25 F-150s!

SO if you want to be picky about color and equipment, its going to cost you 'cause that car that you like probably is not sitting at 5 different lots.

Obviously non of this is want you want to read and I'm sure someone else out there will have the opposite opinion. However, the mere fact that you are letting $500 sway you on a $30,000+ purchase of a purely emotional item like a item like a Mustang GT convertible means you probably really are not a serious buyer anyway. So all this discussion is purely academic.

Mark
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,468
    just one point. he/she is not talking about $500. its $500 over invoice PLUS rebates. So that's $2145 over invoice, technically.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

No, it's $500 over invoice and the purchaser keeps the rebates. As opposed to invoice and the purchaser keeps the rebates. The dealer can't keep the rebates.
    sure they can! I've never once received a rebate from a dealer. They always have me pretty much sign them over as a down payment of sorts.

You could be right, though, and the poster's quote doesn't include the rebates. The poster should point that out and clear it up for us.

Giving you credit for them is not keeping them. You can always opt to have the mfr send you the rebate check, although I don't know why you'd want to do that.

The other way to look at it is the rebates lower the invoice price.
    well sure. But my point is that the poster's quote could already be including them, regardless of the semantics involved. Believe me, I've been through this. Most recently a few years ago at a chevy dealer. They hit me with a price, which was something like invoice minus $500. I said great, then the rebate off of that. Salesman got all confused, went back and checked, then came back, "uh, no, that's with the rebate included." Deal fell apart and we walked.

If they said UNDER invoice then yes, I would assume they were keeping the rebate.

In either case it needs to be clarified.
  • novellnovell Posts: 26
    Perhaps you didnt read my post correctly, GT Auto Coupe. Why you didnt stick to the topic is beyond me. That being said I personally would drive my car for a few more months rather than pay $800 over invoice for a depreciating item.

You do realize that prices quoted to me are closer to $26K and $500 is over one month's payment for me on a 4 year loan? $500 bucks not a lot of money to you, sell me a car and after we make a deal I find to my liking, and then give me $500.

How do you know how serious I am or what the compelling event for me to puchase a car is? FYI, I am in no rush to purchase a car being I have a 2004 Accord (as well as a minivan)and have a lot of equity in it. Do I need a car no, do I want the car yes. Please think before you write, you make yourself sound not so bright, let me guess you are in your early twenties right?
  • Let's remember something- they're are making these everyday and it takes a few dozen years or more for the " rare/ collectible status to stick.

Get the vehicle for the lowest price - Shelbys included. I like the the new stangs, but would never pay above invoice for a GT, coupe or convertible and never over MSRP for a Shelby. The Challenger and Camaro Coupe /Convertible are soon to be and with serious power and looks.

And as a retiree who grew up buying muscle cars and Vettes in the sixties and early seventies for cash , I can afford the new stuff, too -but only respect those with the smarts to walk away from over priced merchandise.Believe me , you'll live without it and something better, deal wise , will present itself.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, folks,

Since we already have a topic here for gas mileage, I've moved the posts about it there:
    Ford Mustang MPG: Real World Numbers

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Are there any other Mustang sites that anyone can recommend?

Ron
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    The Mustang Source
    All Ford Mustangs
    StangNet
    Stangs Unleashed

There are really too many to list and all are pretty good.