Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• today, first time ever, our tach died, the needle is pointing due south, and never moved. Car is is 28 degree cold weather, never a problem until now, and hasn't been driven but once a week. (shame on me). Can anyone tell me what the likely issue may be (fuse, cable, etc)? Help I don't trust FORD mechanics, they BS too much and charge an arm and a leg.
  • It wouldn't be the tps. If it was, it would code out ( I think on 2135 Mine has already had a bad tps ) , and put the car in limp mode and the check engine light would stay on until cleared manually.
  • $27,0000 for a new 2009 Ford Mustang GT with 5-speed manual.

It has the following:
    Model Year: 2009
    Make: Ford
    Model: Mustang
    Style Name: 2dr Cpe GT Premium
    Vehicle Trim: GT Premium
    Body Type: Coupe
    Exterior Color: Ebony
    Interior Color: Dark Charcoal

Displacement: 4.6L/281
    Engine Order Code: 99H
    Engine Type: Gas V8
    Fuel System: SEFI
    SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM: 300 @ 5750
    SAE Net Torque @ RPM: 320 @ 4500

It is an anniversary edition with a glass roof. I have never seen this feature before. It is a large tinted roof and you pull the shade closed to block out the light. It's not a sunroof. It also has a GPS and shake 500 sound system.

The lines on the baby make it look like a Bullit edition Mustang. The dealer claims the price dropped from $36 grand to the current price. I'm getting a Mustang this year but didn't know if this was quite the killer deal they lead me to believe.

Or, should I just hold off for the 2011 V6 Mustang?

Thanks.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,668
    Personally I would wait for either the 2011 V6 or V8 models if you can. When you're ready to buy, go to edmunds.com or kbb.com and figure out the dealer invoice price for the vehicle and add $500 to account for the FDAF advertising fee that is part of the actual factory invoice but is not included in the online dealer invoice pricing. Then subtract all available rebates and incentives. That will be very close to the actual dealer invoice price and would represent the lowest price you could reasonably expect to pay. Anything less would be gravy. You might have to pay up to $500 over invoice depending on inventory levels and demand but $0 - $500 over invoice is usually a good price for most vehicles.

Also be aware there is usually a dealer documentation fee which is anywhere from $50 - $400. This is purely additional dealer profit so make sure you figure that into the total out the door cost when comparing prices from different dealers.

If you use X plan, you'll pay about $200 over invoice with a $75 doc fee - non-negotiable.
  • If the $27K the out the door price that's not to bad. I would buy it if i were you.
    I personally like the 05-09 better than the new style 2010. I paid 28.3 for my 06 out the door and it doesn't have a glass roof which i like.

I think they people at ford missed a golden opportunity to use other retro traits from the past on the new mustang but didn't. IE. a differnt fast back etc. The back end of the new one looks "europeanized" to me. IMHO
    Who says they won't add those in the next few years?
  • ilcooljilcoolj Posts: 14
    They're all garbage, the hell with Ford !
    My '06 stalls out 30-40 mph whenever it wants. Its very tempermental, I took it to several dealers and after replacing the fuel pump if nothing else its continued to stall out. No one has been able to fix it no codes either. I say trade it for a Camaro its what im about do! Forget about Ford.
    If you think mustangs have issues, then you shouldn't even consider a Camaro. They're having serious problems and they haven't even been out a year now.
    I'll do my homework and look at the Camaro and if it is what you say it is... Then i'll consider something else but my mustangs days are numbered as far as im concerned...
  • jmarounjmaroun Posts: 139
    I own a 2010 Mustang GT, and put 8000 miles on'er. My girl has a 2005 Ford Focus, ..she's put over 105,000mi on it. Other than the Stang's passenger seat belt light comming on all the time, and the Focus's squeaky breaks..I'd say they're solid cars. I can't say about the 2005 Stang, but mine feels strong and reliable so far and I ride'r hard pretty much every single day. Now, I've driven Hondas, Toyotas, and even BMW's. For me, Ford reliability has been on par with my 2000 Toyota Camry..and is far more reliable than my 08 BMW 335.

I'd recommend Ford based upon my experience.

In fact, I'd be comfortable getting Ford's 2011 5.0 GT on its first year out! If you're nervous about it, I'll tell you now, the 2010 4.6L is solid. I looked at the Camaro..it's a tank, with poor visibility front and rear, and unfortunately, Chevy has one of the worst reliability records. Check out consumer reports.

There is no other car out there that can compare with the Stang at its price point. I've checked them all out. I bought my base 2010 GT for 25k (with 3.73 gear ratio package). Price creeps up fast when you pile on options though. The nearest better car, with comparable muscle, is obviously a BMW 335..but that's $15k more..and doesn't have the reliability you're looking fore. The G37 and 370Z might be an option but they'll also cost more than the Stang and offer different fashion. Don't even think about fwd Honda Civic Si, or Mazdaspeed3, or ven VWJetta..they all suck in the torque department big time or suffer from nasty torque steer.

good luck with your choice,

Joseph
    San Diego
  • bloopxdbloopxd Posts: 1
    so i picked up a 2005 mustang...worst buy of my life. so many things wrong with it that i was not informed of. but i brought it to a ford dealer because when i let my foot slight off the brake it would shake. fords telling me that two out of the 6 cylinders are not working and my compression is low and that i need a new engine.

do i need a new engine? and could it be something else smaller that i can just repair without buying a new engine?

theyre also saying theres only one engine left in the country which is total bs,
  • It depends on why the compression is low.

If it's a head/valve problem that head can be can be repaired/replaced.

If it's a cylinder/ring problem you'll need a bottom end rebuild or used replacement engine may be cheaper.

Find out specifically what is causing the low compression, if they haven't already told you.

Ford dealers won't rebuild an engine for the most part. they recommend a replacement.

You can probably shop around and get a better deal from a good mechanic that at the ford dealer. IMHO
  • I was wondering if anyones rear defrost tab has come off of the glass? If so what action was taken?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,272
    I was reading a Motor Trend article on the the 2011 3.7 V-6. The article mentioned a Performance Package ($1995) which gave upgrades to suspension and wheels. However, when I go to the Ford website there is no mention of this package. Was the Motor trend article wrong? It sounded like the V-6 could be a really nice car with 300+ hp and pulling .96g. Wow!

How come the Ford site makes no mention of a Performance Package?

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• nomowhalenomowhale Posts: 17
    I have read in several places that it will be available late this summer. See this media release from November of 2009:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31279
    "...available late summer..."

Thanks, I can't wait. :)

• wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    I have placed an order for my version of an economy car that can simultaneously accomodate my needs for speed and acceleration along with a rated 31 miles per gallon when gasoline conservation seems appealing. I was just informed that I may have to wait until September production, but the final details are currently out. Dealer ordered cars for placing in their stock seldom are set up just as you might prefer, but waiting for a special order has its own agonies!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I hope you do a lot of gentle highway driving if you expect 31 MPG.

And yes, I realize I'm replying to a 5-month-old post, but something needs to wake this forum up!
    Excellent idea on your part. Let's get this rolling again, if we can.

Would you believe that just two days ago, I took delivery. The wait was just enough over the limit to make me wonder if I will ever special order a Ford again! Am I off base to be thinking other manufacturers might be more interested in getting to such special orders?
    "...I took delivery..."

Well, late is better than never like some other car companies. May I ask what options did you ordered? I hope you got the performance package. How did the special order effect your final price?

As long as I'm giving you the 3rd degree I might as well ask how the V-6 base model handles without the performance package. All the road tests say it pulls a .95 lateral G with the summer tires. I was wondering how it does with the standard suspension and all-seasons.

I have owned many rather high performance motorcycles and strong engined cars and trucks, but this is my first ownership of a so-called pony car or sports coupe. I bought this vehicle to satisfy myself that you can buy a grocery-gitter that puts out high mileage like an el cheapo no-performance econocar, yet will keep you smiling when your whim turns to G forces and acceleration. It is a stone cold winner! Don't forget that the 305 horse power is not much short of last year's V8 horsepower, as the magazine columnists tell us. It corners better than any four-wheeler I recall ever owning. On the other hand, it is not as nailed to the pavement as a Porsche 911 I drove some years back, but is that a fault? Hardly!
    With deliberate intent I left off the electronic communication and entertainment packages, feeling that the car might entertain me by itself. The Michelins (green rated) are absolutely superb on the street and highway. My only option ordered was the automatic transmission. My window sticker was essentially $24K.
    edited November 2010
    ADDENDUM::
    If you're interested, I paid cash to trade, and that makes it hard to say what my real cost was for the Mustang. I'll tell you this, I got it through a dealership in Rushville, the Sand Hills area of the Nebraska panhandle, some 400 miles from my home.
  • ccvssccvss Posts: 1
    Go to overstock.com, click on cars, then type in your zip code, make and model and you should get a good deal on a 2011 Mustang.

2011 2dr Coupe Premium is $29905 for Chicago area and you get 412 HP and 390 Torque, the extra $2000 obo is worth the extra 112 HP, or get the 2011 V6 with 305 HP and 280 Torque for $23605, plus tax, dest and so on...

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Hi guys, I'm a stranger here in the Ford forums, hope there's someone who can answer this. A young friend of mine is considering buying a 2006 Mustang convertible with 66,000 miles on it. Price asked is $10,000. That seems low to me; does that sound like a fair price to you all, too high, too low, suspect in any way? I don't know what all is on the car so it's a bit hard to judge, but autotrader typically shows prices in the upper teens.

Second question: what might he expect to pay for insurance in the L.A. area, anyone know?

Thanks for your help.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Posts: 83
    V-6 or V-8?
  • Something is definitely wrong with the car. Don't buy it. A 2005 GT with 50K miles should sell for 16K on the lot.
    Thanks. It's a V-6 Deluxe.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,202
    Its a little low, but still above wholesale (which is $8500-$9k). Is it private party or dealer? I would have it thoroughly checked out, of course.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Dealer.

I think he's trying to stay within a budget and this seemed like a good deal. I suggested that he look very carefully for things like uneven tire wear, paint differences or other clues that might indicate the car had been in an accident, that sort of thing. Who knows, sometimes dealers just want to move a car off the lot, but it did raise my eyebrows a bit when I saw that other, comparable cars listed on Autotrader had asking prices several thousand dollars higher.