Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Solara Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Solara SLE V6
    w/option group VS,GY,RF plus Carpet Mats

$27,944 MSRP
    $24,980 Internet Quote
    ----------------------
       $103 Below Invoice
  • I have a question about dealer locate fees and vehicle delivery.

After getting a great online quote on a new Solara, my dealer offered to locate the exact color and option combo I was looking for. He quickly found what I wanted (looked it up while I was on the phone) and the vehicle is now on it's way to my dealership. My questions are...

What is reasonable for a locate fee on a car like the Solara? $0, $50, $100, $300?

I was told my car will be transported by a "driver" to my dealership and may have some distance on it. How many miles is reasonable on a dealer-to-dealer delivery and should it affect the price?

This is the first time I've had a dealer "locate" a vehicle for me. Even with the fee, the quote was still a great deal. But I'm concerned this car may have up to 300 miles on it. Is it something to be concerned about?
  • It should be from $50-$150 depends on the area and cost of labor. I got mine for $80 but waived by the dealer. The car is 30 miles away so it's not too bad. You may ask the dealer for the distance then decide if the fee and mileage are acceptable. Good luck!
  • Maybe Cliffy, or someone, can lend some insight on this. I sent out requests for a price on a new SLE V6 fully loaded. First dealership called and said they would make the deal for only $500 over Edmund's invoice price. That was less than 2% over and I thought that was pretty good. So I asked the dealer to fax me the specs and prices. The car, except for a few minor details, was what I had specified. This is what I got back:

Dealer Profit: $500
    Dealer Advertising: $325
    Gas: $6
    Dealer Holdback: $519
    Whs Financial Reserve: $259

All totaled the amount over invoice is $1609, not $500 as the salesman stated over the phone. I realize the VDA (advertising) is common, but I clearly stated that I wanted to know what the TOTAL price would be above dealer invoice, not counting tax, title and license. And I've never even heard of WHS Financial Reserve. Can anyone tell me what that is and is it a legitimate fee?

I'm not saying the $1600 over Edmund's price is outrageous, but it will be interesting to see what other offers I get. I'd feel a lot better if they just told me $1600 in the first place. It would save everyone a lot of time.

Can anyone tell me what Financial Reserve at $259 is and what you think of the other charges? Thanks.
  • They just place all possible charge in the quote in case they decide to add it. Usually the dealer like you to go to their site to discuss the price. Check if they have fleet department hat also cover internet deal. I now never call ththe te rep in sales department for the quote! They are tend to play the trick to you. Believe me, there have different attitude.
  • Hi! I'm from SoCal and am planning to buy the 04 SE Sport Solara in either black or oceanus blue (?). I talked to my parents and we want to pay in full for the car, but I've never bought a car before and my parents aren't fluent in English. Can anyone please give me some tips on what to expect? And also, is asking $22k (give or take) too little for the trim I want?
  • badjurabadjura Posts: 26
    Bought my new 2002 Solara SE 2.4 in the summer of 2003 and paid CAD $26275 - List was $28175 and $1025 freight /PDI for a total of $29200. Toyota has a program in Canada (Access Toyota) like Saturn does - they tell you what to pay and you accept it, or you don't get it. Couple of months earlier I watched a guy $29200 for a 2003 which is the exact same car but a year later. Easist car purchase I ever made - walked in, told them what I wanted to pay, and drove it away. According to Carcostcanada.com (we have to pay for such info here), the dealercost for a 2002 was $25800. The insurance is cheap as they list it as a Camry and its a couple of years old with only 5K that i have put on the odometer. The 04 just doesn't do it for me
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Posts: 162
    I assume you are asking for V6 SE. If you shop around, in So CAL you may find 22K would get you the trim you want. Use online quoting services (more than one) to find as much as possible and then check with any hidden cost such as Advertising fee or markup. If you want to call them, ask to talk to Fleet dept. which in charge internet deals and willing to get you better price since they are not rely on commission mostly. Good luck!
  • Thx so much! I'll try out your suggestions.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Since when does a car with over 70k miles on the clock, "dings here and there", water leaking into the interior, etc, etc, qualify for "MINT" condition??
                  ; )
                  Mackabee
  • I really, REALLY like the Solara, but am concerned about rear seat comfort and accessibility. I was originally planning to buy the '04 Camry, top of the line w/leather, and then I saw the Solara. So now I'm torn!

I work from home and mostly drive alone or with my husband (no kids). While I am still in good shape physically (in my mid-40s), some of my occasional passengers are elderly, and my 75-year-old mother-in-law is also very short.

We live in Southern California, and since this will be our household's official errand-running car, I am also concerned about the length of the doors in cramped parking spaces, which seem to shrink every year and in direct proportion to the number of SUV-drivers that can't park their vehicles properly.

Are either of these big enough deals to drive me back into a Camry? Or have you been pleasantly surprised by the rear seat access/comfort and the door length and weight.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 641
    if you intend to carry passengers-- go with a 4 door-- especially elderly passengers.

personally, i'd go with the 4 door accord ex-L with navigation and XM radio-- 4cylinder has plenty of get up and go--- for around $24000- $24500 (msrp at $26700 or so) , but the camry is a nice car too.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 641
    does XM radio come standard on the 4 cylinder SLE??? thanks
  • Will take a look at that Accord, tho that's what I am replacing, and kind of wanted to try something new.

Thanks!
  • david2david2 Posts: 12
    SLE V6
    side airbags/curtain
    vehicle skid control
    rear spoiler
    carpeted mats.

MSPR about 27914
    Internet price is 25714.

I think it was OK. But since I used to quote for a new passat GLX V6 Passat for about $26000. So I guess sometime dealers do sale cars far below invoice. Will this happen to the solara?

Thanks!
  • david2david2 Posts: 12
    Does Solara have any?

Thanks!
  • cards28cards28 Posts: 145
    What info can anyone give me on this car before buying? Pros and Cons, things like that.

I'm new to this site, so I'll go back and read some of the previous posts.

Thanks.....
  • sazaman1sazaman1 Posts: 22
    Anyone bought a solara convertible SE in the midatlantic region recently? How far below MSRP would be reasonable?
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Posts: 162
    1. For elder, 4 door is better. Minivan even better due to the hieght and they don't nned to drop in or lift up. In most minivan, they just slide in and out. For Solara, it's quite roomy at back (maybe an inch short of leg room and fraction of hip and shoulder room) but entry and exit need some effort as all coulp. The door is longer than the 4 door so tight spot will cause some issue as you concern. You'd better check it out during test drive. Go visit your dealer after making a check list. It's the only way to verify your concern and it's free.

2. Accord is a very good alternative choice if not for its ugly exterior especially the rear, to me and many of my friends. If you are OK with that or different option, you may compare both by test drive one after the other.

3. XM radio is dealer installed option on all Solara.

4. If you can get a Passat V6 with similar standard option @26k and you like germany car, go buy it since it's a good deal. As I remember, GLX is the lowest trim on V6 line. So it might be more if options added.
  • sazaman1sazaman1 Posts: 22
    I am surprized by the lack of response here. Compare this to the number of posts of say Honda Accord (which is the same car for the past one and a half year and sales near invoioce price), it is amazing....
    No wonder Toyota is slow to update their website about everything.