Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda B Series

Comments

• JillianJillian Member Posts: 1
    I've been searching the net everywhere for any
    newsgroup or chat information on Mazda Trucks.

I can't seem to find anything. If there are any
    Mazda truck owners out there, I'd love to hear what
    you have to say about your truck. I'm a new owner
    myself.

Thanks!
  • jamestbsjamestbs Member Posts: 1
    The new Mazdas are just rebadged Fords! I have a 1992 Mazda B2200 (built by Mazda). Best truck ever made, is too bad they quit making them.
  • martinwmartinw Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 1990 Mazda B2200 Cab Plus LE-5 and are very satisfied with it.
  • pinnerpinner Member Posts: 3
    Hello Mazda owners. I have been doing some research on the 98 B2500 SE 2WM Ex-Cab. In about 10 days I think I may purchase one. Is there anyone w/ some info. regarding this truck, especially on the best price to offer.
    Jeff
    Hi. Jill. I am thinking about buying 1998 B2500 SE 2WD Ext-Cab. I would like more consumer info. about this truck. Have any ideas? If you do let me know. Do u like your truck??
    Jeff
  • novacainnovacain Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know of any
    Mazda incentives or rebates that are currently
    being offered? I am very close to buying a B-3000.
    I really would like the new 4 door pick up but Mazda says that 4dr B-3000 won't be available until September. I can't wait that long!!!
    I think there is a 0.9% for 36 months; 1.9% for 48 months; and 2.9% for 60 months. Hope this helped. I would like to know exactly how much to pay for a 98' B2500 SE 2WD Ext-cab. Have any suggestions??
  • novacainnovacain Member Posts: 3
    pinner,
    Mazda was also offering a $1000-1500 rebate but that expired 6/30. I'm waiting to see if they are going to increase that offer for the new quarter.
    I've also talked to some
    new Mazda truck owners and people seem to be buying for $100-300 over invoice here in Tx. So you should be able to get a good deal. Good luck.
  • ross3ross3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking long and hard at a Mazda 1998 B2500 SE 2WD w/regular cab. Anyone out there own one and are you happy with it? Any nightmare stories out there? I really like the one I looked at and test drove. Any help appreciated...thanks.
  • kentroskentros Member Posts: 5
    I own a 90 Mazda B2600 Extra cab 2wd Auto since new
    with 95k miles.That 2.6l 4cyl Is the best 4 cyl engine ever offered in a compact truck-I'm
    sure it's way better than the Ford 2.5l in today's
    Mazda.And also,Not one thing has broken on the truck as of yet.To bad Mazda stopped importing them after 93.

Tom
  • colin2colin2 Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a B2500 SE extended cab. It is a much better truck than the 95' S-10 it replaces but I've had and still have some problems. In the 5000 miles on the road the clutch has been replaced as an attempt to stop drive train clunking and clanking noises. The new clutch resulted in chatter and it is going in for a second clutch replacement along with a pressure plate. There appears to be too much play in the transmission gears resulting in the clanking when letting off the accelerator. Additionally the power steering pump is VERY loud even when not turning the steering wheel. So far the dealer has not been able to fix the problems.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?
  • erumakererumaker Member Posts: 12
    Hubby and I bought a 1992 B2600i 4X4 auto with extended cab new in May 1992. What a fantastic truck! Decided to try to buy another one, used of course, and cannot find even one for sale in Southern California area! I think that pretty much says how good they are.

I will never buy a Ford Mazda truck. Sorry Mazda stopped making trucks. :(
  • grindlegrindle Member Posts: 4
    In about 2 hours I'm trading in my '88 Ranger 4x2 Supercab XLT for a '98 B4000SE 4x4 supercab loaded with everything. I bought the Mazda BECAUSE it was a Ford. I had great luck with my Ranger, except that it is rusting away underneath. I hope the new Mazda/Ford is as good as the old one. I will admit though, Mazda Japan does make good vehicles. I got invoice cost plus $1,500 rebate - in spite of no announced programs. (I wonder how they will pull that off?) Also got the Edmunds suggested price for my trade in! Boy, I'm having a great day. You older Mazda owners ought to look at the new ones, they've advanced quite a bit, and they're really good deals.
  • jbreedingjbreeding Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a '96 B3000 extended cab since it was new. It now has over 35k. I have had one small problem with an interior piece that was replaced under warranty. Other than that it has been flawless. I would recommend them highly.
  • wkdfwkdf Member Posts: 2
    I own a 97 B2300 that I purchased new. It now has
    17,000 miles on it and other than a couple of the
    most minor things (that I haven't even bothered
    to have fixed under warranty) it's been an
    excellent truck. A mirror was a little loose
    and the wiper switch missed a beat a couple of times.
  • TweesterTweester Member Posts: 1
    For what its worth I have a '94 Mazda Rang...errrr....B2300 with 97,000 miles on it. Bought it brand new. Havn't taken the best care of it and have only spent $300 to replace the alternator at 85,000 mi. Been a great truck. Heading down this weekend to check into a B4000 X-cab 4x4.
  • rsvrsv Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 B3000 4x4 with 4,000 miles. Since new,
    I've noticed that when I start off slowly with the
    clutch peddle fully out, there is minor slippage
    either in the rear or clutch.

Also, the spot body welds around the bed frame and
    door frames are rough and the paint (white) does
    not completely cover these welds. Ford pick-up's
    (built on the same assembly line) have smoother
    welds and better coverage of paint.

Any one else have the same problems and what was
    the solution?

Otherwise, been excellent. Nice ride, 21 miles
    per gallon, etc.
  • don53don53 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a 1987 B2600 2WD since it was new. Has been an excellent truck for the last 11 years/167K miles. Unfortunately, when something bad happened a week ago (probably a main or connecting rod bearing)I found out that there are no new or rebuilt 2600 engines available. My engine was made by Mitsubishi. The only option is to rebuild what you've got and since it would take $800-$900 labor just to find out what's wrong it doesn't seem like the way to go. The estimated cost of rebuilding the engine is at least $2000. I'll probably get a 98 B4000 4WD X-cab. In general, I've been very satisfied with Mazda trucks but it was disappointing to find out there wasn't much I could do for my old friend of the last 11 years.
  • lonnylonny Member Posts: 1
    We are considering purchasing a B4000 2WD. I cannot figure out if we should be able to negotiate the price based on the 1500$ cash back to the buyer, 2.9% financing and the 2000$ dealer only rebate. Am I dreaming, or have I misunderstood what limited information I have read?
  • tkinpatkinpa Member Posts: 19
    Lonny,
    You might want to post your most excellent question in the Smart Shopper conference for CarMan to respond. He is all knowing and omnipotent...at least as far as rebates go.
  • kip3kip3 Member Posts: 20
    lonny, a dealer here in Atlanta area,Hennesy Mazda offered to sell me a totaly loaded B4000 at approx 15% off msrp. Thats about 3% under invoice. In real numbers a $22385 truck for $19027. Then he threw in the $1500 rebate which lowered the price to $17572.He said they are getting some money from Mazda which enables them to sell under invoice and the $1500 rebate is a nation wide thing. kip
  • tkinpatkinpa Member Posts: 19
    kip3,

I think you did pretty well. The truck I tried to buy this weekend must have had the same equipment, ie. same MSRP of 22,385. Best I could get was $22,200. Incentive runs out tonight. Guess he still has the truck.
  • mazda1986mazda1986 Member Posts: 1
    anybody out there with a 1986 mazda b 2000. i would like to chat about the truck
  • C13C13 Member Posts: 390
    I'd like to take issue with those who complain that the recent vintage B series is 'merely' a rebadged Ford.

Ford's pickups are their best-selling vehicles, and arguably their best-made. The current Ranger is an good truck. The changes that Mazda makes to it make it superior, in my opinion.

For one thing, they box in the front frame rails. This makes the chassis more rigid, resulting in better handling. It also makes the truck more resistant to damage. Check the NHTSA crash test results of the Ford and Mazda. Mazda does better.

The other main difference is cosmetic. Ford puts a huge plastic molding on the nose of its truck. You may like it. I don't. Mazda styling looks right to me.

Of course now that I sell GMC trucks, I'm pleased to be able to offer my customers 4-wheel discs (vented on some models), 4-wheel ABS, the stiffest chassis of any truck, a wide range of V8's, towing up to 5 tons, etc.
    I apologize for the preceding commercial. Just sort of went nuts. I'll try to control myself.
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    The ranger has boxed frame rails too. Made an advertising splash a couple of years ago about it.
  • dizzy2dizzy2 Member Posts: 8
    I'm hoping someone can suggest a cure for a puzzling problem. My 91 B2200's idiot light comes on and says ABS is not working. Dealer says nothing found, they say take it to Midas for a free brake inspection. Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be? I don't want to be a sheep for Midas to shear when I take it.

Truck drives great, is at 130k miles and has been rigged for towing a light trailer. This started after the trailer hitch etc was installed. Of course it never does this when at the dealer. I would appreciate any input! Thanks :)
    Really!

If this is true, then I stand corrected.

Mazda made a big deal about stiffening the Ford chassis.
  • glenroseglenrose Member Posts: 13
    I went to midas for a break inspection, they said I had bad break fluid and they had to replace all the rubber in the breaks. They never checked the pads. I took it somewhere else, they checked the brakes and replaced the rear pads. Still working good a year later.
  • vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Just bought a 98 B2500 extended cab with the power package. My observations after the first weekend. So far so good, quiet, smooth especially on the highway. nice gearing makes for low highway rpms( Approx 2100 at 60mph). Rock solid cruise control, decent tunes. Clutch smooth as is transmission. Build quality seems good.
    Only real grip, the climate control system. I would like a system which offers the driver the ability to 1. shut off the fan 2. activate ac compressor in any mode at the driver's descretion. The Mazda has only 2 settings where the ac does not come on automatically. Could very much simplify system by leaving settings to the right of off and simply having an ac button. Hate ac automatically with defrost. Prefer it being left up to me.
  • rmnixonrmnixon Member Posts: 21
    vonnyvonce:

Check your owner's manual regarding when the A/C comes on. I have a 98 XLT ext cab and the manual says that when it is less than 50 degrees F the A/C will only come on when you select A/C or MAX A/C. Let me know what you find out. By the way I concur with your write-up above.
    Tricky Dick.
    Tricky,

Guess your right about the 50 degree thing although it hasn't been cold enough in Massachusetts yet to try it out. depite this I still prefer complete control or perhaps like the Hondas wherre ac comes on in defrosting modes but then can be shut off if driver prefers. Best of both worlds.
  • edh1edh1 Member Posts: 1
    98 B4000 owner -

About the Auto AC: I could swear it is coming on even at below 50 degrees F, Anyone know where the temp sensor is and how accurate it is? I also thought that a seperate AC control would be better. Besides that the truck has been excellent.
  • ammon3ammon3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. I am REALLY interested in getting an new Mazda B5000 extend cab 4x4 loaded. I am getting it over the ford simply because of the 60000 drive train warranty. Do you all know why Ford just doesn't up the warranty on its truck? The 2 are basically the same and to me, the warranty issue is huge (have a 94 voyager that would have cost me thousands were it not for that warranty.) I am thrilled to see all the positives by you current mazda owners...give me confidence that I am doing the right thing.

regards
    Been watching ac compressor. If it is quite a bit below 50 it will not come on. Near 50 it still does. Temp sensor location I do not know but again give me a seperate ac button.
  • colin2colin2 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the clutch replaced in my '98 B2500 for the second time. It no longer chatters but has a terrible rattle between 1500 and 2000 rpm. With the clutch disengaged, there is no rattle. The Mazda service rep from Boston agrees there is a rattle but says he doesn't know what it is. (Since the clutch was replaced this is a good place to start). He said until it becomes really noisy, I should turn up the radio and put the fan on a higher speed so I won't notice it. ( he even put this in writing).

Does anyone else have a rattling clutch problem? I'd like to hear about it.
  • dizzy2dizzy2 Member Posts: 8
    Find out RIGHT NOW what your state's lemon law is, get your paperwork together and make them replace that truck- trouble doesn't go away when you ignore it. My fear for you is that your dealer plans to let the lemon law period run out and then argue that you will have to pay for repairs. I drive a 91 B2200 w/ 130k and have never had problems of any kind. Your new Mazda should ride like a magic carpet...a quiet one! Best of luck!!! Dizzy2
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    Has anyone put a JET chip (or other) in a newer (96+) B4000? or any other model? If so, what types of performance boosts have you gotten? Has it been worth it?

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • parryparry Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I own a 98 B4000 x-cab 4x4 and it has 7000 miles on it! To this date have had NO Problems except a bad wiper blade! No problem local dealer was fantastic about it and rplaced under warranty!
    Previously owned a Toyota and it was a great trk also,but Toyota Dealers are Very Proud and wouldn't Deal! I enjoy the Mazda very much and it is More Comfortable to me and seems quieter also!
  • jlh2jlh2 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a loaded '99 B4000 ext cab W/4 doors. Has 500 miles. So far, so good. Traded a Dakota. The Mazda seems like a tighter truck. Less road noise and more creature comforts. The 4.0 L auto trans works great.

The good reports on this site, as well as several good reports from Edmunds (Ranger road test), Consumer Reports, and Consumer Digest helped me decide to go the Mazda route. Liked the Toyota (reputation for reliability), but I didn't think it was very comfortable. I'm fairly tall and the Toyota isn't very friendly to people over 6 feet.

I'll try to remember to give a report back in a couple thousand miles.
  • mrkastnimrkastni Member Posts: 3
    Hi fellow Mazda owners! I bought a 1997 b2300 last year and have logged a quick 58,000 miles. I am finally growing tired of the lack of cruise control. I checked with the local dealer and was informed that they cannot add cruise control to the 2300/5speed combination. Any ideas concerning aftermarket options? I really like the truck, but I have really been trying to talk myself into trading. Other than the above mentioned, the only other thing I wish I would have waited for was the extra 3 inched of cab room behind the seat. I am 6'1" tall and the truck is a standard cab. :)
  • mrkastnimrkastni Member Posts: 3
    I have seen pictures of the year 2000 rangers with 4 doors. Just like a little crew cab. An abbreviated box maintains the length of the current extended cabs. Will mazda be offering the same type of truck? Hopefully not at a hugely inflated cost.
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    I'm sure they will, since they are the exact same truck. The Mazda just has a different bed, better warrant, and lower cost.
    I didn't see Ranger pix, but I did see Isuzu/Chevy pics for the 2000 (U.S.) Hombre/S-10. Funny thing you know, they've been building those trucks in the caribbean for over 10 years. Crew Cab mini-trucks are nice and small for carrying, but they work down there. I don't know what took them so long to introduce them here.

Ryan
  • tone2tonetone2tone Member Posts: 15
    4 Aftermakrket cruise--There were a couple of places in So Cal that offer aftermarket cruise control but my experiences with a '97 B2300, 5spd, Xtra cab is that it wouldn't work when you hit the slightest incline. The truck seems to heavy for this engine. Maybe the newer 2500's are that much stronger.

For a time I commuted 110 miles each way against traffic and would have loved cruise but just knew that the 4 banger couldn't handle it.

Otherwise it has been a solid little truck but I'm seriously considering selling it to get the 4.0 litre Ranger or Mazda with the cruise, tilt etc. unless someone has experiences with aftermarket products that could boost the power of the 2300 without messing with emissions set up.
  • kjtgkjtg Member Posts: 49
    with the bed being different i wonder if ranger covers would fit it. here all the mazda trucks are sold with a drop in liner. so it could be hard finding some to fit it.
  • drctkdrctk Member Posts: 1
    hi all, I am going to do a commercial for Mazda. I have a 94 3000 with 169,000 miles and have had no problems other than a waterpump. This truck has been a workaholic for me. I have driven tons of turnpike at high speed and loads of farm roads with potholes. The truck looks and runs great and has been extremely economical to own. I look forward to my next one. I own Ford Motor stock and feel that put money back into my pocket by buying Mazda. My Ford trucks (Ranger and F150)couldn't hold a candle to this one
  • weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    drctk,
    That 94 3000 you own is a Ford truck with a Mazda badge. The 3.0 V6 under the hood is out of the Taurus. Take a look at the names stamped on the parts. Just about everything you see will say Ford on it. Later, Wes.
  • rich40rich40 Member Posts: 4
    Hey everyone, Just wanted to share with everyone that I got a 99 B4000 4X4 SE extended cab today and so far I'm loving it. Seem to me though somewhere on the net I saw where there is supposed to be two keyless transmitters included in the deal, is that right?
  • robbearrobbear Member Posts: 2
    I own an '87 B2000, with 106k miles, manual transmission. I've had it for 7 years and it's been real reliable, but not exactly exciting to drive. However, lately it's been running poorly. Poor gas mileage, about 17 mpg. When it is damp out or real cold the truck exibits sputtering, sometimes it idles real high (sounds/feels like 3000 rpm, I have no tachometer) and other times it idles so low that it stalls out. The low idle is also accompanied by sputtering and loss of power. I think its a problem with the carborator. I used a fuel additive, spray on carb cleaner, and tried higher octane gas and nothing seems to help. I am thinking now of rebuilding the carb or buying a new one. Has anyone rebuilt the carb on this truck? how much would a new one be? Are there any adjustments I can try that may fix the problem? Am I on the right track here?
  • azninvazionazninvazion Member Posts: 15
    Hey all,
    I am looking at a 3.0 V6 Ranger/ B-series truck. I am going to get the 3.0 v6 on either, but the only determining factor is which dealer can get it for me cheaper. I like styling of both. My question is, has there been ANY problems with the truck that ANYONE has seen? I have 2 friends with the B-Series, and they say that their trucks run great. The only catch is that they are fairly new. One is a 95 or 96 (it is the old styling) I think and the other is brand new. The 95/96 has about 60K miles, and still runs great. I know, I drove it two days ago. I would consider that pretty good. Has anyone had problems with the truck(s)? Thanks for the input.

Also, ROBBEAR, I suggest you buy a new truck. the truck is 12 years old and ran a great ride. I have a old 13 year old Toyota Pickup. The gearbox and clutch are messed up, but I figure, if it lasted my father 11 years and me 2, then I guess we got our money's worth. That is why I am going to trade the blue bomber in for a new Mazda/Ranger. So you ask: If your Toyota lasted for 13 years, why not buy another toyota? Well truth is, I believe that when my father bought the car, toyota was actually trying to serve the people with great cars and trucks. Now, it is more a business. The tacoma that is comparible to the 3.0 V6 ranger-B3000 is about 18 Grand.