Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 (5-door) v. Mazda6 Hatch v. Mazda6 Wagon...

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Those euro specs look like they're only to the tops of the rear seat's back (or up to the bottom of the modesty cover), which is the way it should be rated.

However, in NA, most mfrs rate cargo volume up to the roof. Mazda played honestly to begin with on the P5's rating and got beat about the head in the market 'cause almost everyone rates cargo as stuffed up to the headliner. They switched to this method later to provide more comparable measurements.
  • boxfanboxfan Posts: 180
    I remember seeing a review or comparo (I can't remember what web site it was on) that said the Impreza wagon (WRX wagon/Outback Sport) had twice the cargo volume that the P5 had. That's absurd. Obviously they were looking at measurements taken different ways and didn't think about the numbers for a second.

If you measure up to the level of the back seat, then it would make sense that the 6 hatchback and wagon would have similar numbers. Measuring up to the roof would be different.

johncline:"The 6 hatch will almost certainly cost much more than the 6 wagon. It also will have many more standard features, if it is marketed at all as it is in Europe and the rest of the world." That may be true, but from audi8q's post on the 6 board, the wagon will be only available as a V6, whereas the hatch will be 50% 4-cyl, so the cheapest option might be a 4-cyl hatch.

The hatchback should be lighter, so the 4-cyl hatch will give you better mileage with similar performance as the 6-cyl wagon. At least with the stickshift. And I think MOST of the time, the hatch will be just as utilitarian as a wagon would be. I guess on a long trip, with people in the back seat and a huge box or a lot of luggage, you'd need the wagon.
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    I see they are not offering SAB/SAC on the Mazda3 in Canada. If that happens in the US I will dropping the Mazda3 from my short list. I'll just wait til they get the rust problem fixed on the Mazda6. ;)
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    should be offered in US as an package. Please see the info we know so far here:

http://groups.msn.com/BrunoLuong/ustrimsandprices.msnw
    Yeah, I guess the preliminary specs dor Canada didn't list the SAB/SAC so it's no surprize.

OK, the Mazda3 stays on my list for now. Do you think the BP5 is still as pictured in your photo for the US? I'm thinking Strato Blue with BP5 interior. Is Strato Blue 27E as you listed or 25E as it shows at:
    http://www.mazda.de/drive/mazda3/mazda3_farben.asp?modelname=2.0l- - +Sport+To
  • pzevpzev Posts: 807
    I think the MazdaUSA site mentions side curtains being offered. Also as mentioned preliminary specs say it will be offered in a package with ABS.

Canada must have a different system but Mazda not offering side air bags on the Mazda3 in the USA is total suicide. Even the Hyundai Accent, which starts at $9999, has standard side air bags.
    Wait a second. I thought the white on the Mazda3 was the same thing as Pure White on the Protege. The white on that page says A4D. The Mazda Protege white is A3D and the Mazda6 white is A2N. So this is a completely new white?
    Yes, Strato Blue code is 25E, I wrongly type it in my page. Thanks for pointing it out. I think the BP5 showed is correct. For US market, the Strato Blue should come with BP5.
    Color wise, A4D and A3D are very similar (You can hardly tell the difference by looking at them). The Mazda6 white however is different.
    Yeah I figured they would be pretty close to each other. Maybe I'm imagining things, but I always thought the Protege white looked a little better than the Mazda6 white.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    just me, but i thought i saw something that said there was no 4 cyl. hatch, or was it no 4 cyl wagon. i know they said you will be able to get a 6 cyl./5 sp wagon.
    I think it is the wagon that is only getting the 6-cyl.
    BUT AT LEAST THE STICK, TOO.

AND HOPEFULLY NO RUST.
  • pappy55pappy55 Posts: 41
    why doesn't Mazda import these from Japan for the US market? Why? So I could get a hatch NOW!!! And no rust issue. Plus, if they don't do well, save money in plant tooling costs at Flat Rock.

Maybe they can import one for me. 23Z please.

just my .02
  • wongpreswongpres Posts: 422
    "why doesn't Mazda import these from Japan for the US market? Why?"

3 reasons:

1. Hofu plant II (where the Atenza/Mazda6 is produced) is currently overcapacity.
    2. Hofu II doesn't build V6 Mazda6's (the V6 is exclusive to N. America)
    3. Importing Mazda6's from Japan while Flat Rock still has capacity completely undermines the Flat Rock plant.
    then why couldn't they INTRODUCE the car with the hatch and wagon when it came out?
    Hello, anybody here? I can't be the only person considering the Mazda3 5-door vs. Mazda6 hatchback.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    The price difference will be significant.

Dinu
    Yeah, you're right on that. I can probably get a loaded 3s 5D for the same price or less than that of a stripped 6i HB. And, I would probably have to wait about 3 months longer for the 6i HB. And, due to the better option packaging on the Mazda3 (at least in the US) I can probably find what I want on a dealer's lot instead of ordering.

So, can you predict which one I'll be getting?
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Yes, no? :)

Dinu
This discussion has been closed.