Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

05790579 Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Toyota
I have been told that the toyota avalon will be restyled for 2005 with the first cars available around July or August of next year. I was told it will look very similar to the BMW 740. Has anyone else heard about this change and/or seen any pictures of it?

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    if it looks like the 7 series, and Im an avid Toyota fan. Let's hope theres not truth to that rumor.

~alpha
  • jjpcatjjpcat Posts: 118
    Maybe you meant the previous generation 7, which looks great. The current generation is either 745 or 760.
  • nomad56nomad56 Posts: 134
    Here's two cents... This is just a guess. I think we are more likely to see the Avalon dropped. As the gap (Price and ammenities) between the Camry and ES (Lexus) has narrowed, Avalon sales have fallen. I have seen and heard of various makeovers in the Toyo line-none of them are for the Avalon. This is just a guess!
  • As a Toyota loyalist, I think it would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make if they stopped production of the Avalon. As the owner of 97 Avalon XLS, I feel there's not another car out there that could even come close to the bargain that the Avalon is. If Toyota stops the production of the Avalon, then that would mean that if you want a genuine full size vehicle in a poor mans price range then we would all have to go to dreaded domestic brands, I don't know about you folks, but the last car I want to drive is a Ford, GM, or Chrysler product, unless it's a full size truck. I love my Avalon, and would recommend one to anybody. If something happends to my car, I will buy another one. Please Toyota if you're out there reading these post, please keep the best full size bargain money can buy in production. Go AVALON
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    While I love and respect Nomad56's expetise and comments, I respectfully disagree. The Avalon was squarely aimed at the big detroit metal, and in comparison, it is obviously superior. See Consumer Report's article last year, and the comparison testing, versus Buick Park Ave Ultra, Pontiac Bonneville, etc. It clearly took aim at this sector. Those who live in the southern retirement states could tell you how many Avalon's are on the road. I do not think this model will be going away soon, as full size sedans are making a come back, albeit in low numbers.

Nomad56: What is the model year and trim level of your Avalon???

A.Fisch
    I have a 96 XLS. The 2nd model year. When it first came out, the Avy was an easy choice. It replaced a Bonneville!

...and, It looks like my guess is wrong. My "deepthroat", a friend in the car industry, who tells me stuff, if he won't have to kill me, says Toyo will likely proceed with the re designed 2005 Avy. It should continue to be a Japanese "OldsmoBuick." ...we'll see how right he/she is... -nomad56-
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I am in my early 20's and don't laugh I actually find the 1998-1999 Avalon bodystyle to be a pretty looking car. The 00+ does nothing for me in terms of looks. Its just very bland to me. So what if the Avalon is compared to the Pontiac Boneviille. The Boneville is a decent looking car on the outside(the 00+ Body style that is) but the interior is of subpar quality and resale value is lousy. As far as being as being to compared to a Buick that is not good but hey at least the 90's Avalon was good looking.
  • I'll second that. The 98-99 Avalon was a great looking car.
  • jeff186jeff186 Posts: 95
    Seems somewhat odd that there have been no spy drawings or shots of the supposed new design for the '05 model year. Or have I missed them? I hope the rumored '05 redesign is true with hopefully a larger V6 in the mix.
    Jeff- Yeah, that's what I was going on, when I speculated that it would be dropped. It seemed Toyota was letting it fade away. The next day, I spoke to my friend who "hinted" the redesign, and continued production, is "probably" a go. ...as offering an alternative to the Detroit sedans is a good idea. Keep in mind the new LS430 is considered a "redesign". Subtle at best.
    The LS430 does not look like a redesign it looks like a mid cycle refreshening.

Why can't Toyota offer a more sporty ride ala Acura TL instead of going with the soft/cushy ride?

It seems like Toyota is making the cars look taller and their cars have lost their sleekness because of the "tall factor". The Mazda 3 is tall looking but its not bland. I wish Toyota would have continued with their late 90's styling theme instead of this tall looking theme.
    If you think Toyota needs to target a sportier ride, a la the TL, with its Avalon, I'm guessing you dont understand the demographic this vehicle targets. How many TL purchasers long for a bench front seat?

Lost their sleekness? Fair enough. But the current Corolla is better looking than any of the Corollas since my birth, and the new Solara is, at the least, different, I think it looks great. What about Celica, MR2, RAV4? All good looking vehicles. But looks are subjective anyway. Done right, even the Camry can be downright sharp.

~alpha
    The MR2 is nice. The Celica and RAV 4 I like alot. The Camry I don't really like it. I liked the 1992-1996 and the 1997-2001 models better than the 02+. The Corolla I liked the 98-02 model better in terms of looks than the 03+. I think the 98-02 Corolla looked better than previous generations of Corolla.

The Solara tries to look like a luxury coupe but just doesn't pull it off for me.

Look are subjective I know.
  • jeff186jeff186 Posts: 95
    Well, I've been prowling around various websites but can't find anything about the '05 Avalon. Nada from coverage of this month's Tokyio auto show. And nothing about the possibility of the '05 Avalon being at the Detroit Auto Show in January. Most frustrating. I'm hoping a resigned model is really coming. Seems kinda odd that the supposed flagship of the Toyota line lags the current Camry SE in engine and drivetrain.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Will have the 3.3L engine with 230 hp used in the late Toyota & Lexus models, (New Sienna, RX 300, Highlander, etc.) and the same 5-speed automatic.

I'm almost sure the new Avalons will have the newer type of outside door handles, found on any other Toyota model. I hope they will have fold-away side mirrors which could be very useful for such a wide-body car. I also hope they will add illuminated controls for the power door lock & window controls, as in the Lexus LS430.

I personally like much more the newer Avalons than the '98 models, but I still think that the 2002 are nicer than the 2003 (front grille, taillights and wheels), but I like both more than the '98 models.

I also like more the Camry & Corolla than the previous generation. However, the new Sienna is completely not my taste.

Toyota's cars are so different looking from each other. Most other companies, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Honda ++ have a unique look. Most people will know right away 'It's a Ford! It's a Honda!', etc. Should somebody show me the new Sienna without Toyota badging, I would never dreamed it's a Toyota. The grille, taillights, and wheels are very different than any other Toyota model out there. But inside it has a real Toyota look.

Toyota's tradition is to offer a plush quiet ride, not great handling (but acceptable, though). For handling go to Honda or Mazda.
    If you go to the following link: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 37553
    This is probably the same news my "deepthroat" industry insider received.... -nomad56-
  • I love love love my '98 Avalon. Hope the new one is worth the wait. I found this on the Car and Driver Web site "2005 Toyota Avalon Redesign on new Camry platform, to serve as a destination vehicle for older customers." I might just get an '04 if this is the case!
  • I, too, have friend in the car business. A Toyota sales manager to be exact. The 2005 Avalon will be redesigned to look more like the Lexus. The Avalon's sales have slowed and you will likely see fewer 2004 models as dealerships prepare for the new design. As for the Camry, I think it's a great looking and riding car. The performance is, in my opinion, more than adequate. I like both cars largely due to the fact that the styling is subtle, not so "over the top" as some of the manufacturers' cars - such as the Nisaan line.
  • I to have heard that a new jazzy body style will be out in 2005...direct from a dealership owner!
    It actually will take on a mix between the Lexus and BMW new body style...
    Don't like that idea of Toyota throwing a little "Bangle" style on the 05 Avalon.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Toyota needs to make sure they keep the large rear seat and driver's seat, generous trunk, soft ride and 18.5 gallon gas tank in any re-do of the Avalon. That's why a lot of us drive them. I liked the body style of my old '99 better than my new '03...but I bought one anyway. Great cars! And similar in most areas I felt important.

If ANY of these things are altered just to add a little "sport" to the car, I would probably buy a Lexus E330 instead. Avalon driver's generally do not want a firm suspension and sports car performance. If I am to be shortchanged (less interior room, maybe) on driving what I want, let me have it in a Lexus.

If anyone gets any PICS...or other links to the 2005 body, this topic would be a great place to post them. Everybody wants to know. Enjoy your Avalons, all.
  • "Fin" accurately describes what a core group of loyal Avalon buyers expects in a new Avalon. But will it happen? If the Avalon had been a hot selling car, perhaps, but this is unfortunately not the case.

Our 2002 Saab 9-3 is the last example of the "traditional" Saabs -- a heavy-feeling car with a huge hatchback, and we will probably keep it for ever. Why? Because the 2003 model is a mainstream sedan, a good car but not what the traditional Saab owner wanted. And the result for GM (owner of Saab) -- vastly improved sales volume. Catering to the traditional core Saab group was not cutting the sales mustard, and Toyota faces the same issue with the Avalon.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Posts: 192
    I just got back from the 2004 models auto show in Virginia Beach, VA, and it was an eye opener for me.

I had been considering the Infiniti G35 and the new Acura TL, and the show provided an opportunity to sit in all the new models. My wife in particular had her own priorities, high among them interior room, including back seat. It was surprising how many cars, including the G35 and TL, had narrow rear-door openings, and relatively small backseats, not to mention subjectively little rear-seat headroom. If I bought one of those, I'd be riding most of the time by myself, as my wife/daughter would and did feel cramped, not to mention how my in-laws would feel.

The most comfortable and spacious interior we found, by far, was the 2004 Avalon. I'm 55, and the other eye-opener was that I'm now putting comfort ahead of neck-snapping acceleration. I have always liked the Avalon, but wasn't sure I was ready for a "Japanese Buick." I guess I finally am!

I will watch this and other strings regarding the Avalon with great interest. Since I am now seriously considering buying an Avalon, I would likely wait for the 2005 re-design before doing so. All the rumors, advance info, etc. re the 2004 Acura TL I read in forums like this came true, and without much clarification or input from dealers or Acura itself. Likely it will be the same with the Avalon. Thank goodness for the internet! I am looking forward to being a part of this community.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,870
    pmcb48, welcome to Town Hall! We look forward to reading your opinions as well.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• petlpetl Posts: 610
    I spoke with a friend who is a sales Manager this weekend. He also has confirmed that the 2005 Avalon will be a beautiful looking car (based on pictures he has seen). He is predicting that it will take sales away from the Lexus ES model (time will tell). Read the Consumer Guide info. Doesn't really tell us very much and, who is source? Maybe 4WD or AWD will be offered as an option? Anxious to see what it will look like, inside and out.
  • Have 96 XLS and, like pmcb48, comfort (and room inside) and utility are becoming more important the older I get. We drove a 2004 Prius a month ago and I'd seriously consider a 2005 Avalon if it has the bigger 3.3 V6 and electric power. Make the new Avalon a hybrid, a plush full size Prius, and I want one.

I still like performance and a fun car to drive from time to time, but for long drives comfort, space, and utility count most. A hybrid Avalon would be all of these and give outstanding fuel economy.
    fndly'-no hybrid Avy on the drawing board right now. Next up for the hybrid combo is the RX330(Lexus). That's not until next fall. Toyo, like ALL mfg's, EVENTUALLY, intends to apply this combo to it's entire fleet???? How quickly this will happen is uncertain... -nomad56-
  • I've read that the redesigned '05 Avalon will be built on the Camry platform. Since the Avalon is a step up from the Camry in the Toyota model lineup, does that mean we can expect an Avalon built on a stretched Camry chassis? And has anyone seen any spy shots of the '05 Av? I'm irked that Priddy and Dunne can get shots of the "hot" redesigns two or three years before they hit the showrooms, but I still haven't found anything for the new Av less than one year from going on sale.
    Since they were introduced for the 1995 model year, the Avalons have been based on the Camry, and as you stated, they basically ARE a stretched version of the Camry platform. The current (2000-2004) Avalon is riding on the Camry's previous platform (1997-2001), and the 05 Avalon will move to the new platform.

~alpha
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Posts: 192
    I have been frustrated finding anything out about the 2005 Avalon except tantalizing little snippets from people quoting this or that industry insider. Dealers are no help; with the G35, I knew more from boards like this than the dealers were willing to discuss or admit.

I guess I'll just have to keep checking this site and hope that the rumors of a 5-speed auto transmission, 3.3 L V6, and 230 HP are true, not to mention improved styling.