Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    That was very rude, inconsiderate, and unethical. If someone were to do that to me I would leave them at the other dealership and let them walk back to the dealership to get their car. I doubt anyone at the other store would give them a ride. Why is it that some people think that just because someone is a car salesman it gives them the right to abuse them? This is really sad and says a lot about certain people in our society.
    : (
    Mackabee
  • Price quoted over internet was $32,991 for xls w/ VSC and floor mats. I have sent in offer over internet for Avalon xls only options I want is VSC and Floor mats. I am offering $30,000.00. We'll see what they say. Few days later they emailed that their original offer was best they could do, darn. I guess I have to get my civic fixed to drive for next few months til things cool down with the avalons. Here is his exact reply:

Right now these vehicles are the hardest thing in the world to get, so on these those numbers are the best I can do.

If you want to take a loaded up XL I copuld do better.

Thanks
  • burlburl Posts: 40
    This problem area has been identified by a number of people in this room. these are all people who are trying to LOVE the 2005 Avalon, Not disparage it! So those who own or have driven one that does not have This problem or the Throttel problem or the hunting Transmission Problem, Please try to understand an acknowledge that they do exist....WE are not crazse (Lolol) or stupid. These individual problems apparently do not exist in all the units off the line so far....But they do exist in some of the already delivered cars. If these comments were coming from people with an axe to grinde (GM LOVERS) it would be different, but these are generally Avalon OWNERS AND POTENTIAL BUYERS. They Do not WANT to find anything wrong.....The problems exist and need to be addressed not Po Poed

Buckeye6 I asked on or about 2-17-05 if the Limited windshildes were avaialbe yet and would they Transfer ....no one in here said a word.
    I know it sounds silly to say this on a $36,000 car
    but.........Talk to the best car or home audio people that install and see if they have any suggestions. They do have and market it although it is expensive.

Carpet padding which is also a good sound suppresioner used under the trunk and floor matting and under the hood insulation is a supriseingly good item that costs very little. You can still find undercoating that is the older heavier Tar like stuff which also deadends road noise but you need to be there when they put it on to keep them form getting overzellous

Good luck!
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I think I understand. If I want a Camry XLE I4 auto with VSC and the side bags (very hard to find, if not impossible) can my local dealer get that car from anyone in the US with that particular allocation?
  • I am selling my 1998 Lexus GS300 and buying an Avalon Limited.

Kelly Blue Book has just posted the prices on the 2006 GS300. I compared a comparably equipped Avalon Limited against the GS300 and found a retail price difference of nearly $14,000.

The Avalon is larger, more powerful and comes with a full size spare tire on an alloy wheel. The Lexus offers these advantages: 6-speed vs 5-speed tranny, rear wheel drive, power tilt & telescope steering wheel w/memory, power folding os mirrors w/auto tilt down, Bluetooth connectivity, tire pressure monitor, R/V camera w/nav system, pre-collision system w/laser cruise control, adaptive headlamps, headlight washers and a 4-yr/50000 mi warranty. These are nice features, but hardly worth the cost difference.

I drove both cars on the same day before I made my decision.
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    I too will never buy a car without Stability Control. See http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/stability_control2.html.
    VSC is not just for snow. It PREVENTS loss of control and resulting crashes. It is inexcusable of Toyota to not make it available on ALL trim levels of the new Avalon.
  • Hi all,

This is my first post here and although I've wanted to start before, today has made it a "necessity". I'm kind of upset and disappointed. :(:(

The Avalon just got released for sale up here in Canada today and my suspicions have been confirmed. (I think this was also mentioned by someone else in a prior post). There is NO LIMITED model here. We thus cannot get: Laser Cruise; Keyless Start; Power rear sunshade; Ventilated front seats; Remote start (yes, not even available as an "accessory" here) (and probably some other stuff I can't remember right now).

The XLS model is the highest available, and with the Navigation package (I'm thankful we can get that) etc. (i.e. fully loaded up here), the MSRP is about $47k Canadian (yes we get burned on our currency as well...but that's another story).

My wife and I are now thinking of the Lexus ES330, which does have some of the above additional features at about 4-5 k more. However, it's smaller, slower, and looks like it will be replaced at some point in the not too distant future as part of Lexus's "revamping" of their model line. (Also, we like the look of the Avalon better, although the interior of the Lexus is quite attractive).

We're going to drive both in the next couple of days and I'll report back impressions.

Any thoughts till then?

Thanks
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    fredvh, I have the same situation right now with one of my customers. What I did was preference one however I was told this configuration is not normally ordered in our region, which I already knew. I'm waiting to see if they will build the car. The other option is to have your dealer search outside his region and see if there are any out there with that equipment configuration.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • smith1smith1 Posts: 283
    Well, if you can wait until late fall, the 2006 will be out and maybe a Limited trim will be added. Toyota seems to be using the short 2005 Avalon model year as a "test market." I expect some juggling of trims and features for 2006 based on consumer response. You probably aren't the only Canadian potential buyer who's bummed that there is no Limited trim.
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    Can you send me the name of the dealer you are referring to in Mass for the extended warranty? Is the price you quoted the "platinum" program
    (toyota's best coverage)? Thanks...dazzariti@aol.com
  • " If you get to 100K with it, and want to keep it but are a little displeased with the handling, front nose dive, and ride, replacement premium struts in this vehicile make a dramtic difference. "

Great Idea! Thanks abfisch!
  • buckeye6buckeye6 Posts: 8
    I feel much better today. All that foolishness about getting rid of the xls is gone. now I'm focusing on fixing it.
    Both of us, wife and I, agree that this car is definitely not as quiet or as smooth riding and the 04 we traded for it. Its better in many ways, lots more room, overall better looking, more power, no hesitation(the 04 had it), no hunting of the transmission.
    I have found someone to undercoat it (169). I will explore the dealer putting his crew to work to see what they can find. appreciate the advice. Hope for some positive results Will keep you guys posted.
  • agentagent Posts: 56
    Just to clear things up a bit. I was back and forth with these two dealers over and over and over again. An honest bottom line answer would have been very nice but apparently they felt it necessary to continue feeding me crap. Well, now I have the bottom line that I had asked for all along. My time is money and I don't like it wasted. Don't forget, I'm in real estate so I'm not ignorant to sales. For two weeks they wasted my time and each fed me lies. Speak to me clearly and truthfully and I'm a happy camper with a new car. Now tell me who abused who?
  • psypsy Posts: 122
    I like it also... stuff it in there face. There going to go out of there way to make you pay for advert. fee,, and hang it off in yeah for a fee on handleing paper work and all the other little tricks toyota seems to do more of and better than anybody else. Im in sales. I sell pumps, boilers, chillers and there subsystems. I get other brands and prices shoved in my face everyday. Besides they probley went to the bar and had a suds and laughed at being played like they play folks. We as consumers need to get more brutish with car sales persons. :)

As for purchasing one this year. Im not going to do it. Ive never bought a first year production run on any car. And see no good reason to break the rule. I do see this car added to the must drive and get a firm quote on class. As Ive said before there are alot of good cars in this money range. From cheaper to abit more and theres basicly not a nickles worth of diff. between them. All have there stong and short suites. Wife and I did stop by the local ford/lin/merc dealer so we could right them off or short list and that was done fast. The 500 and its siblings got cut fast. And we left the dealer with a good laugh. There was a linclon navagator there with a sticker of 63K. I had to ask the saleman,,, when does the call girl junp out? ( Ive known this saleman for years ) Gm has nothing on the list. So it remains, toyota, honda, acura and infinity. Enjoy the posts. be good or bad at it!!!1

psy

psy
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    Why don't you use the Edmund's website to find out the TMV (true market value) and take that to the dealer for negotiation purpose. That is what I did when I purchased my 03 Camry. It does save a lot of hassles.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    I am a staunch advocate of (VSC) vehicle stability control. It is a saftey aid that operates through an electronic sensor system intended to help overcome the contributing factors to a drivers loss of control, primarily through the use of the ABS system, and lessen the dangers of spinouts, rollovers and other mishaps where the driver is about to lose control.

To say it "PREVENTS" is an (pretty strong) implication that a driver can operate without undue concern in the belief that the VCS will prevent resulting crashes. No safety system can prevent problems unconditionally if this were factualy correct NHTSA would mandate that (VSC) be standard on all vehicles.

The vehicle and any passengers is still the responsibilty of the driver.

my .02 cents
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    While I don't believe your conduct was reprehensible as has been mentioned I do believe it was un-couth, but clearly your point regarding being the victim of a waste of time and untruths I'm sure strikes a chord with many.

You mention you finally got the bottom line, was it what you expected?
  • lcd1lcd1 Posts: 147
    I test drove Touring Avalon and was completely surprised by its gobble of power and precise handling. It would be my next car if my '98 Volvo S70 keeps on giving me trouble.

I noticed, however, that tire noise was louder thant I expected for a family touring car. It's louder than my S70 with Michelin touring tires. Also, with hard accelerations, the engine/exhaust note is much much louder than expected. In my opinion, Toyota tuned it for the extreme sportiness sound. At 40, I'd prefer a powerful car but with a more quieter ride for a conversation, news or music. The steering is on the light side, but not too bad. The rear seat does not fold down but there is a smallish port to pass a pair of skis through.

What a nice car overall though.
  • tassotasso Posts: 33
    COMPLETELY childish. Would you want someone to treat you that way in your profession. Think about it, they are selling cars to make a living- THINK about it. I assume whoever did that inconsiderate action NEVER COMPLAINS ABOUT the things their patrons,clients,etc do toward them. It is a car, but these are people your dealing with, treat them with respect.
  • agentagent Posts: 56
    To each there own. I'm young and look even younger. I won't be taken for a fool as they tried to do. No offense to all of the honest car salesmen out there but I won't be carelessly offended as their previous actions had done without reprocutions. When a home seller asks me my bottom line on commission, it is discussed and resolved within the hour. If we can't agree then I wish them well and that's that. Don't pre-judge me and my actions. I see it as a justice on all accounts. If you don't see it that way, then I'm sorry. It was healthy competition between two truely sleezy car salesmen. My bottom line was $3,500 below MSRP and yes, I got it.