Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Thanks for the picture. It looks somewhat like the 2004 Toyota Crown Royal. See picture below, especially the headlights and hood:

• I second your comments and was describing the picture to my wife before reading your entry and mentioned that it reminded me of an Infinity G35 front.

I chose the Avalon due to the awesome cabin environment (quiet, well dampened ride, nice materials used, size). I drive over 40k miles a year and the ride and low noise environment make a huge difference to me.

Might get Lexus some day but probably can't justify the extra $ due to my high mileage.
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    Is it going to be RWD, FWD, or AWD? 275 sounds a bit much for a FWD.
  • lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    Yeah that's true, the maxima has 265 hp and can hardly master them correctly. But there are some manners of building a powerful FWD car without doing like the maxima. Nissan wants the steering of its cars to provide some feeling of the road, and if they had installed better steering components so that the steering would be soft and smooth, well you wouldn't feel the road as accurately as if there wasn't any. Toyota doesn't necesseraly want the steering of its cars to be "real" but prefers a smooth and precise steering. So I think the Avalon will be able to master hp correctly even if it's FWD. I heard toyota also thinks about offering an AWD version, to interest more people to the car to boost sales a bit.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    If you drive an Avalon the way an Avalon is meant to be driven, you won't need to worry about torque steer.
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    I just came from another forum and found out that the next Avalon will be a 2006 model (still arriving in Jan. or Feb.)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    Since this is a popular discussion, I'm changing the title to "future models" rather than 2005. That way we can keep it around to talk about future updates after the 2006 hits showrooms.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ednovakednovak Posts: 55
    First. Thanks for the fax photo. The sales manager at my local Toyota dealer actually xerox'd it. So much for keeping the dealers informed.
    Given the specs for the new Avalon, all I was hoping for was that it wasn't downright UGLY (the artist's rendition previously listed was horrible IMO). Now all I have to do is nurse my 175K+ 2002 Camry (with a slight head gasket leak) along until February. Keeping my fingers crossed. The folks at the local dealer know me pretty well (we have two recent Toyota's in the family in addition to my relic) and I think are taking bets on whether or not my Camry makes it to February. Thanks to all of you for the information, I've been following this discussion for the last month or two and find it extremely valuable.
    Ed
  • jmalciv,

FYI, I was merging onto the Harbor Frwy-S(11)from the SD Frwy(405-S) at 2 PM(PST)on 8/20/04 and I saw what I thought to be the Silver 2005 Avalon. I knew it wasn't the new Lexus GS because I've seen the pics of this from the various 2004 car shows. This Silver Vehicle had the mfg's moniker blacked out with some type black tape. I saw the front, the driver's side, and the rear and all mfg's logos were blacked out. Too bad I didn't have a digital camera to take a pic, because it was a beautiful sleek design. It did not look at all like the Toyota Crown from the front end, much less the side(Driver), and rear. I guess in my humble opinion, I saw some Toyota styling cues from other Toyota Models in it's sleek design. Also since Toyota's HQs is very close by, it makes sense for some of the Toyota Engineers to take this mule out for a ride!
  • If the redesigned Avalon is to hit the showrooms in early 2005 I find it interesting that no one from the plant (Kentucky or Tennessee) has posted any thing. Engineers, tooling people, etc, have to have seen the car by now to get the product on the market by Jan/Feb.
    Maybe I am wrong?
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    are some of the most loyal people you will ever find. They are treated very well and it is a honor to work there. It is extremely difficult to get a job at the Kentucky plant and you will not find the employees "giving up info" on the new Avalon.
  • If the Avalon arrives in Jan or Feb, would Toyota display it at a major Auto Show this fall? There may not be any major shows in the fall. The Detroit show is in January. Does Toyota sometimes start selling a new model which has never been shown at a major auto show?
    I don't think toyota will show its new avalon at any auto show, because they don't want to hurt sales of the current one that are already not really good and normally, toyota doesn't have the habit of showing its important new cars to any auto show, I think they want to surprise people or something like that.
  • aseeasee Posts: 1
    I was told that the new Avalons would be on the lots within six weeks. I was told you can no longer order an 2004 model, because they have setup to start production of the new models.
    This all came about, after being unable to locate a 2004 white Avalon with a Nav system. There are none in the five state region (Gulf states).
    So I am now waiting for the new models.
    Has anyone else heard anything along these lines.
  • mtpysmtpys Posts: 4
    The wife and I just paid off or '03 Sienna and are now banking that 500 USD payment towards a down on a new Avalon. We plan to sell/trade the Sienna, kick in a bunch of cash and finance the rest. We have a '96 XL and just love it. The best vehicle we have ever owned!

I hope they do come out in Jan. or Feb., but we probably won't buy until about April.

MikeS.
  • otis12otis12 Posts: 160
    I've been reading this topic for months now. In the computer pic, the rear seat looks to have limo-like legroom, based on the wheelbase and positioning of the doors. Any word/speculation on powertrain? A 5-speed auto is expected but perhaps Toyota will join the growing ranks of automakers who are offering 6-speed automatics?
    New avalons will be available in 6 weeks???????? I thought it was gonna be available in february 2005 as a 2006 model. Well that's good news.
    Otis12: new avalon gets a new 3.5 liter V6 producing 275 hp. It'll probably be FWD, but I think toyota wants to offer AWD too. It'll probably get a 5 speed auto. A sport package is expected, and (if we're REALLY lucky) a 6 speed manual could perhaps be available.
  • Sorry, the new Avalon will not be available in six weeks. It has been confirmed repeatedly that it goes into production right after the holidays (January 3, 2005). The current 2004 Avalon will be produced until shortly before Christmas. It has also been confirmed that the drivetrain will include an all-new 3.5 V6 with 5-speed automatic transmission. Four trim levels will be offered: XL, Touring, XLS, and Limited. Bench seat models have been discontinued.
  • reliability,
    How does what you saw compare to the photo I posted (message 386)?
    January seems more realistic, thank you. So 2005 models will be the same than 2004 without any changes and are gonna be available from september to december only? That seems short a lot...
  • Nope. The current 2004 model will be built and sold as a 2004 through the end of the calendar year. The 2005 will be the all-new Avalon that comes out in January/February.
    Asee said he was unable to order a 2004 avalon, so I presume it is because the 2004 ends NOW and will be replaced NOW by something else... There are 3 possibilities:
    Gets replaced by a similar avalon but a 2005 model and this one will end in december;
    Gets no replacement until the 2006 model in january-february;
    Gets replaced by THE new avalon soon (october?)
  • jayareyouing,

It looks very similar. The front end from what I can remember is a dead ringer and the front logo was blacked out. The rest of the body did not look like a bubble but had more of interesting design flair I have not seen in the other makes.
  • ednovakednovak Posts: 55
    It must take a good bit of work to retool a plant for a totally new model. I suspect that they've made the last of the 04's, or at least are close enough to the end of the run that they won't take any more custom orders, and will be in the process of retooling for the next few months. Then they have to produce enough of the 05's to fill the pipeline prior to the introduction in February. Sounds about right to me..
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    OK, once again, the 2004 is being built through December. The new Avalon goes into production in January for February delivery to dealers. The bench seat is no longer in production, and green and blue are being phased out now.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Posts: 192
    The 4th possibility is that you haven't been paying attention; see post #422 (directly above yours, hello?) and many others.
  • The 5th possibility is that you haven't been paying attention; SEE MY POST #423 (directly under the #422, HELLO?) Asee said he was UNABLE TO ORDER A 2004 AVALON, SO THAT MUST MEAN THEY DON'T PRODUCE ANYMORE 2004 so that's why I'm asking what will happen next.
  • I've seen the 2005 avalon spied, it has the body style of the prius you know the flat back. But it looks a lot like the ES330 they both have the same headlight style. It also had 17inc wheels. I saw the picture on thecarconnection website.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Posts: 192
    Asee said he was told the new Avalons would be on the lots in 6 weeks, which is (per multiple posts) definitely not true, and that he couldn't order a 2004 Avalon, which could be true. That doesn't necessarily mean they're not making ANY more 2004 Avalons, just not taking special orders. Special orders have a longer lead time than regular production, since they may require parts (e.g., Nav systems) from 3rd party suppliers. It makes sense that they would cut off special orders before the actual end of the model run.

Previous posts stated they're not beginning production on the new Avalon until 3 January 2005 (for a mid-February opening), so that rules out an earlier replacement of the current model by the new Avalon, and there won't be an "interim" one, since (again per previous posts) they're making the current one until mid-December 2004. You don't need to ask what will happen next, grasshopper, or to SHOUT. Just read what has already been posted. :-).