Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• I agree with you. The only squeeks or rattles I had from my 98 Avalon & the 05 comes from my wife's soda can when placed in the cup holder.
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    I've had my Limited for almost a month now and I have not heard any rattles or squeaks. This is the first car I've ever owned that appears to be very solid. My previous two new cars were back at the shop several times for rattles and squeaks. Some were fixed and others remained phantom rattles. BTW, phantom squeaks and rattles is what drove me to get rid of my 2002 Acura TL Type S.

Maybe it's just me, but regarding the Avalon placing last in the "Squeaks and Rattles" category...Isn't this one category where you want to place last?
  • grozagroza Posts: 89
    Chipmunk: Mother's and Meguiar's also have clay bar systems.

I must beg to differ w/everyone about noises - I have heard many squeals of delight. Do they count?

Groza
    Okay, our car has climbed the mountain, soundly beat the you-know-what out of the pretenders, including the big, bad "Car of the Year". Please, then, someone help me - What the heck is an AVALON? Is there a Japanese scholar out there who can weigh in?

Groza
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    If you are referring to the name Avalon, it is a city...I believe in France. There is a song that was written about the city of Avalon. Maybe someone can finish this for me..
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Alan, most squeaks and rattles can be traced to the trunk or glove compartment where keys for wheel locks tend to reside, loose tire wrenches get loose and cause noise, or small loose items in the trunk. Check that first before going through all the trouble with the dealer.
    : )
    Mackabee
    dan41...yes, I agree with you. The "Squeaks and Rattles" category isn't bad if you have to be placed in such, eventhough I think they need to re-think that one as well. From the looks of the other post, no one is having any Squeakes are Rattles..I'm not either! Maybe a coke can from another post :)
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    groza, If memory serves right I believe Avalon is a mythical place in one of Wm. Shakespeare's plays. It's supposed to mean a "heavenly place". I read this in one of Toyota Today mags that are at our dealership. Camry means "a small crown" and it's derived from the Japanese "Kamuri". Celica is a swan, Corolla a ring around the sun, Solara daughter of the sun, and so on. I don't recall all of them right now.
    : )
    Mackabee

ps. The current generation MR2 is called the MR-S in Japan. You can see why that name didn't carry over to the US.
  • just__mejust__me Posts: 508
    Hope this helps and maybe why Toyota named it Avalon, it is my Island of Paradise as I sit inside.
    Av·a·lon (v-ln)
    n.
    In Arthurian legend, an island paradise in the western seas. The word "Avalon" is from the British word lava, which means apple. Hence, Avalon is known as "The Island of Apples."
    The most famous setting for Avalon is in the King Arthur legends. Supposedly, Arthur's sword, Excalibur, was forged on the mystic Isle of Avalon. When Arthur was mortally wounded in battle with Mordred, he was carried off to the Isle of Avalon so that his wounds might be attended to. Sir Thomas Malory's Morte D'Arthur maintains Geoffrey's version of the legend, "The Britons still believe that he [Arthur] is alive, living in Avalon with the fairest of spirits and they still continue to expect Arthur to come back." According to Malory, there is written upon Arthur's tomb: Hic iacet Arthurus, Rex Quondam Rexque Futurus, or Here lies Arthur, the Once and Future King.
    Avalon will probably always remain a mystery. The theories and suppositions have never been backed by evidence. In all likelihood, Avalon was a combination of places, filled with legends. Arthur, if he truly existed, may have been buried at Avalon. It is also highly doubtful that Avalon was an island of fairies. Most likely Avalon was a holy place, and if Arthur was brought there to die, time has created the legends. Many would like to find that Avalon really existed, for the existence of Avalon could very well mean the existence of King Arthur, and for once a fairy tale might be proven true. The truth may never be known.

Avalon also appears in other legends. In Marie de France's "Lanval,"the hero Lanval offends Queen Guinevere and is taken to the dungeons. Lanval's mistress, a fairy, rescues him and takes him to the Isle of Avalon. Robert de Boron, a knight from Burgundy, told the tale of Joseph of Arimathea around 1200 A.D. Supposedly, the Holy Grail, the cup used by Jesus in the Last Supper, was taken by Joseph , who used it to catch drops of Jesus' blood as Jesus hung on the cross.

Joseph then carried the Grail to Avalon, where he died. Could an actual Isle of Avalon exist?
    hey mackabee. I believe Avalon is also a city as I stated in an earlier post. Not totally sure, but there was a song written about it.
    By the way, I enjoyed the music. I 'm a musician as well. I'm a piano and organ major. Not very good at typing!!
    YES, YES YES RONN, ANOTHER WONDERFUL WRITE UP FOR OUR AVALON. OPEN THIS LINK.
    http://www.motorpoint.com.au/toyotaavalon.asp
    Thank you, Mack. As usual, you come through with authority on another of life's mysteries. And what a beautiful answer - Avalon, a mythical, heavenly place from a Shakespearian play. Aaahhhh, just think about it. We should all play lyrical music in our cars now; you know, with lutes and harps. No rap or hip hop, ever. Never in our mythical Avalon.

And by the way, tell those guys who just bought a Chrysler 300 that they can go screw themselves.

Groza
    Remember from the beginning of my posts I said I remember riding in the first Lexus, and that this Avalon feels as good if not better, well the link I just posted says the same thing and according to the article you get the feeling this Avalon won't depreciate as fast as the others as good as they were. This is better as those of us who now own it know. It does give credence to the fact that the 06 price will probably be up somewhere, maybe as I guess between 200 to 500 which makes sense. You and I said, to us, it's Luxury almost a luxury car minus the price, well this article see post 3709 above alludes to that as well as the Edmunds article. So yes we can feel proud that our research lead us to a wonderful car and saved us thousands by not buying a name plate and still having a great comfortable well built quality car.
    "Maybe it's just me, but regarding the Avalon placing last in the "Squeaks and Rattles" category...Isn't this one category where you want to place last?"

YES DAN, you have a point there, I never thought of that. Boy you are smarter then the rest of us, well I mean smarter than me.Thanks for
    pointing that out.
    groza..I have a harp CD that I think I will play in the Avalon this morning !!! Great thinking!
    My Avalon, my Island of Paradise. For me that's not a legend. It's true for me, a fabulous car, the best I ever owned. Thank you Toyota. Feel PROUD Avalon owners. We are in First Place, it's how Ronn and others felt here before the articles. Macabee as a Toyota person you have to feel great. I called my Sales manager last evening and he was sighing when I told him about the Edmunds First Place article. He had me email it to him for his sales meeting this morning. He was ooohing on the phone, making music he was so happy. Okay, now I have work to do. Have a great day everyone. Smile, feel good for the wise decision you all made.
    Good Morning JUST ME Thanks for another great article!! Wow, I hope all these other guys that thought they were such big shots will take note that the AVALON RULES!!!!! Have a great day my friend. By the way,isn't Avalon a city ? I know I have heard that..there was a song written about Avalon.
    RONN
    just me - Good god, man. Where did you go to school? Have you ever thought of going on Jeopardy or the College Bowl? Brother, that's the most useless collection of information I have ever heard. And it's all inside your head!

You are the man!

Groza
    groza..I think Just Me maybe wrote Jeopardy!! What do you think?
    RONN
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    It is a real place, part of the United Kingdom:
      Glastonbury sits on a former island in the Somerset Levels - the Isle of Avalon. It's a lively town, with lots happening and rich traditions.

It has been a pilgrimage place since the time of Sumer, a Druidic centre and of one of Europe's greatest medieval abbeys.

Today Glastonbury is a unique, atmospheric town of 9,000 people. It hosts a famous contemporary arts festival, pilgrimages, a musical extravaganza, a carnival, conferences and other events. People visit from the world over, pulled by a certain special something...
    http://www.isleofavalon.co.uk/

One of the best books I've ever read was Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

It's a well-researched presumably fictional account of the times leading up to and including Arthur's ascendancy to the throne focusing on Arthur's sister Morgaine and the pre-Celtic and Celtic religious experience and cultural heritage.