Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    Can the rear seats fold down?

How's the interior quality and comfort?

How spacious? Is the rear sear headrooom compromised by the new styling?
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    Yea! Hell even the litte Hyundai Tuscon SUV has stability control.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/Vehicles/Tucson/Main.asp

Talk about missing the boat........
  • future1future1 Member Posts: 103
    I am slightly disappointed, too. In particular, I like leather seats but I can't get 'em unless I also pay for anti-theft system, Homelink, and moonroof -- the items that I don't care about. I also like the wood steering wheel, but I have to go all the way up to Limited to get that.

I just don't understand why the car makers structure options in such a rigid way. Why not let the buyers configure the cars the way they want? Perhaps the thinking is to force the buyer to buy a higher-priced trim, but doesn't it also make the car less attractive compared to other brand where a certain combination of options is available?

I want to buy my car just like I purchase a Dell computer online -- if I am willing to pay for a particular set of options, why not let me do it?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Toyota's Press Releases havent always hit on all cylinders in the past. Given that Toyota lists VSC as an option on all Camrys except the Standard, and made it optional on the last generation Avalon XL as well, I really have a hard time believing that VSC will truly only be available on the XLS and Limited. I am wondering if supplier issues have dictated that the VSC initially only find its way into the two upper-trim models.

Leaving VSC off the options list of the Touring would be a huge mistake, IMO, given the significant and impressive press its gotten lately ranging from the IIHS to Car and Drivers Csaba Csere. It just seems too huge a mistake to make.

Otherwise, this car looks phenomenal, and I think Toyota has a very strong hit on its hands. Nice to see very minimal price increases accompanied by greater equipment levels.

~alpha
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    Nope, they already have an E-brochure up and there's no stability control on the Touring or XL, it's just not available.

The Touring leather isn't black as originally spec'd, it's dark charcoal.

Hit the link and click on the eBrochure:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/avalon.html
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    No car is perfect for everybody and some mods may in order on the options as time passes - but for now this car is a WINNER !

Next, we need some info posted from the real world road tests we all are going out to get.....
    Some confusing info regarding the options -- I agree with alpha -- it looks like the Toyota's docs are not catching up with the actual car production. For example, the e-brochure lists no available options at all for the XL and Touring, yet the press release indicates that "options available on XL and Touring grades include an in-dash six-disc CD changer, power moonroof, and anti-theft system".

• ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    One of the key specs I looked at is rear head room. The 2005 lost a half inch over the 2004 according to the online Brochure. (At 6'1", I just about fit in the 2004)

It's very disappointing... This seems to be a trend- All newer cars assume all you carry in the rear is a bunch of Kids!

I'll take a look, but I was hoping for a roomier car.
    Yea, theres some odd information in the e-brochure, with respect to the options. And is a power passenger seat standard on the Touring? The eBrochure says yes, but thats not exactly what Ive read in the Press Release, if I recall correctly.

You'd think a company as large as Toyota would put out accruate information?

And is the trunk really only 14.4 cu ft? Thats awful, barely larger than a Corolla, and not close to the Camry's 17+ cu. ft.

Looks like the range tops out at $38,310 for a Limited with NAV, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, and VSC/BA. Notably, an XLS with VSC is $32,430, about the same as a 2004 model. An XL at $26,890 with no options isnt cheap, but its very well equipped for a base model, and given the signficant upgrades, is a good value, IMO. (All quoted prices include $540 destination).

My personal choice would be the Touring with VSC/BA, but who knows if thats even going to be offered. Shame on Toyota!

~alpha
  • dmortholedmorthole Member Posts: 29
    It just seems the eBrochure at toyota.com are preliminary. They only say what is standard and the optional packages don't make sense.
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Alpha:

Beg to differ. This is all IMO, so fire away. Toyota pulls this every new model now, as this is their MO. I agree with you, as in the past, the XL, their base model, is their best value. Unless their marketing has changed, the 10K differnece between the base and the LIMITED, is mostly electronics based, some of which didn't work very well in the old model (ie: auto climate control) and so of it is "FuFu", electronics based gagedtry priced with a huge mark up for what you are getting, unless ofcourse you are a salesperson or everyday you wake up to go to work and don't know where you are going, is a GPS system worth 1K or will a AAA Atlas with large print suffice for $8.95 (member price). We can all wait until the dust clears, and the options are better dileaneated but "buyer beware", especially in the first MODEL year, to those of you who have to have it.

abfisch
    is a GPS system worth 1K or will a AAA Atlas with large print suffice for $8.95 (member price).

Ha, I wish I could pay 1K for the GPS. No way: in the new Avalon, the GPS along will add $2,500 to MSRP. That seems overpriced for me.
    Im not sure what you're differing on? I stated that the XL was a very good value, IMO. My personal preference would be for the mid-trim touring with VSC and NAV, but Toyota seems not to want to offer this to Touring buyers (DUMB!!).

I'm still crossing my fingers with regard to VSC, though, for the XL and Touring models. I just dont understand how it makes sense for it to be unavailable, when it can be found on $18,000 Corolla LEs.

~alpha
  • teereevesteereeves Member Posts: 69
    In July I had predicted what the redesigned flagship should have, receiving some of the top technologies from fellow toyotas, here it is again:

'04 Prius - Smart Entry and Start

'04 Prius - Voice-Activated DVD Navigation with BlueTooth Technology for hands-free phone use.

'04 Solara - Tire Pressure Warning System

'04 Solara - 5 speed Sequential Automatic Transmission

'04 Sienna - Parking Assist

'04 Sienna - Dynamic Laser Cruise Control

'04 Lexus ES - Power Rear Sunshade

Well this flagship missed a few of those technologies, here they are:

'04 Prius - Voice-Activated DVD Navigation with BlueTooth Technology for hands-free phone use.

'04 Solara - Tire Pressure Warning System

'04 Sienna - Parking Assist

I really love to have the top 2 from the missed list, I don't care to much about the Parking Assist feature. I will not be buying the 2005, hopefully they will add the 2 missing features I care about in the 2006 version of the flagship.

Tee
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    I know the e-Brochure is probably preliminary but it seems very strange that Homelink would be standard on the XLS and not available on the Limited.

Doug
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Overthinking it once again. Once thing that is for certain, there will only be a limited number if models available at launch basically equipped the same and offered in a limited number of colors as well. Probably will end up as loaded Limiteds, average equipped XLS's and base XL's. As in the past, even though it appears that you can mix and match options, they only build them with certain combos. Without getting into detail, it keeps the prices where they belong.

Honda has been the master at this game for years.
  • mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    This is going to be tough. I like many of the goodies on the Limited, but can do without the laser beam cruise control and probably without the navigation system. I wonder if there's any chance of getting a Limited with that Option B in the first 6 months.
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    The e-brochure lists premium fuel (91 octane) as recommended. What happens if 87 or 89 octane is used? Does engine have knock sensor to adjust for fuel? What drawbacks to using 87 or 89 octane?
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the JBL system they are offering on the Limited (perhaps from some other Toyota model). What I'm interested in is whether or not it will handle MP3's (on either CD's or DVD's) since the CD unit is pretty useless to me without that capability and I have a feeling that replacing it with an aftermarket unit will NOT be cheap.
    if you look at the specifications: http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2005toyotakit/2005avalon_s.pdf, it doesn't not mention that only the XLS and Limited will have VSC. I mean even the Corolla has VSC optional.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    If you notice, it says "recomended" not required and somewhere I saw asterisks beside horsepower, torque, etc. and it said those numbers were calcuated using premium fuel. So...as is true in several of the other Toyota models, you must be able to burn the lower grade fuel and it will just adjust itself and you will have less performance. I am hoping this is true as I will not buy a vehicle that requires premium fuel.
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Shame to have put a license plate on the front:

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2005/01/10/autoswhow/toyotaavalon.jpg
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    This car is gorgeous. Both inside and out. Will any smart shopper actually buy the Lexus ES 330 over this car ? I think not
  • ednovakednovak Member Posts: 55
    Easy solution. Move to Pennsylvania as I did a few years ago. No front license plates!
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    They weren't always a single plate state -right?
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I think the wood-trim of the Limited is way too light. i like better the chrome accents on the Touring.

Also, why not offer heated mirrors on the XL? This is standard in most bigger cars today, especially for the "Flagship".

Otherwise it could be a nice car. I don't fall in love with that unusual interior design, but that's just my taste.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    If they are near the same price, most WILL buy the Lexus over this. Better warranty, and very premium nameplate and service. For most, looks between the avalon and an ES330 will be a wash. I think Toyota needs to give MORE with the Avalon than you get with a Lexus, for at least $5k less, for them to crack the average age "69 to dead" demographic the Avalon has been 'dominating.'
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    If the e-brochure is accurate, the trunk is smaller than previous model - 14.4 versus 15.9 cu. ft. Surprising, considering most other dimensions are larger. This is a small trunk. Smaller than virtually all other large cars. The Camry has a larger trunk. Disappointing.
    VSC is an option on the XLS and Limited, according to the ebrochure. Go to http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/avalon.html and click "ebrochure" on the lower left. Surprising that it wouldn't be an option for the Touring, the "sporty" model.
    It would be nice if Toyota came up with a bracket that could be mounted underneath the bumper and then come up in front to hold the plate for those of us that need to display one. I'm envisioning a curved "L" shape, with the connectors parallel to the ground.

When I picked up my Highlander, the sales manager came out with an 18v cordless drill and some sheet metal screws, and "mounted" my plate on the (plastic) bumper that way. As I stood there, slack jawed, he said "this seems to work the best".

Wonder if he knew it was a lease, and he'd be seeing the car again in 36 months (this summer).
    I was just reading a press release from Canada and it detailed the XL, Touring and XLS with no mention of a Limited model. Any idea why Toyota would produce a Limited model for Canada?
  • cbanccbanc Member Posts: 10
    I too am very surprised at the small size of the 2006 Avalon trunk. My 99 Passat has 15 cubic feet. It seems to be a recurring theme however. The new Acura RL has only 13.1 cu.ft.

They probably think that we all have big SUV's to haul stuff around.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    The only model available at this time is the XLS. The market is not large enough to justify many different models. They propably don't sell 100 Avalons a year (in Canada). Canada's population is approx. 32,000,000. New York City and surrounding areas have a greater population than all of Canada. It just wouldn't be cost effective. I'm surprized they're offering 2 models. I guess they think it will be a hit.
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    With all this buzz and hype going on with regard to the 2005 model, do you have any suggestions for those of us with earlier models? For instance, when we see your new car approach, should we stop, get out and salute? Or would an oriental bow from the waist be sufficient?

But at least you will have one use for our (despised) older models of Avalon. We will be happy to carry the excess stuff that you can't fit into your 15% smaller trunk
    Many of us probably considered the current version of the Avalon, or a prior one, in the past. We're all just excited about this one, just like many were excited about the 1992 model 13 years ago, or subsequent updates. :)
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    Actually, the first Avalon debuted in 1994 as a 1995 model.

That's right, 10 years of Avalon!
  • georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    All of this hype about the 2005 Avalon may fade quickly if the hesitation problem exists. Has anyone found out if the same transmission that the Lexus and Camry uses will now be used in the new Avalon?
    The 2005 Toyota Avalon eBrochure is just not complete. For example, it says the Touring does not have any options and does not "offer" a moonroof. Pictures at http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_photo.html?recn- - um=007406

tell another story. Obviously it shows the Touring does have a moonfroof.

And what's the difference between "Integrated Fog Lights" and "Integrated Fog Lamps?" They both are mentioned but the models don't agree.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    The Avalon will use the same transmission (U151E) as the Camry and ES 330.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    It has been reported that Lexus acknowledges the problem and their engineers have been working the problem. Question is- have they come up with a fix and what is the implementation date or planned date?
    Yes, 2005 Lexus ES330, 2005 Toyota Camry V6, and 2005 Toyota Avalon use the same 5-speed transmission, designated as U151E. Our last and only hope is item II.A.5.b in the unofficial Avalon specification:

"newest all-solid state Electronically-Controlled Throttle System w/ intelligence (ETCS-i)" 

This clause in the spec seems to imply that the old non-solid state throttle system has been debugged. I do agree with others -- this issue will affect the Avalon fortune (or misfortune) to some degree. It looks like the consumer rating of ES330 would have been near 10 here at Edmunds, if not for that pesky flaw.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Consumer Reports recently tested the '05 Camry with the 5-speed automatic, rated it excellent, I believe, and did not mention any hesitation or downshift problems (as they did with the Lexus ES some time ago).
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    "...rated it excellent, I believe, and did not mention any hesitation or downshift problems (as they did with the Lexus ES some time ago)..."

Add: and, as they always do!

I don't believe them any more. Too many mistakes recently from CR. Let's not start over this discussion, but most people noticed it.
    The 2005 Camry tested by Consumer Reports was an LE 4 cylinder, which uses A WHOLLY DIFFERENT transmission than do the higher-torque V6 models. The comments on the 4 cyl Camry 5A are not correlated to the performance of the transmission in V6 models.

FWIW, CR did note a reluctancy to downshift in their last test of the ES330 with the 5 speed auto.

~alpha
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Exactly. Most "contributors" to this trans discussion are ones that have absolutely NO experience with ownership of this transmission. I do in an '04 Solara convertible. It has just over 9k miles on it and we have owned it since it had 4.2 miles on the clock. My wife has racked up the majority of the miles and not once has she found the hesitation the least bit annoying, not enough to complain about let alone question the car. I do notice it, but not enough to even remotely consider not buying another car with the same trans, in fact I would, but nothing currently meets my requirements.
  • blane31blane31 Member Posts: 8
    We like our 2000 XLS, but think it's kind of ungainly-looking, so was looking forward to the 05 introduction. I like the looks, but really don't need 40% more engine power and especially don't need the use of premium gas. Some say it's OK to use regular gas at a loss of performance, but until Toyota says it's OK and what the loss might be (pinging?), it's a deal killer for me.
    I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone yet about the new Avalon using regular gas, but I have had numerous conversations with mechanics, service managers, salesmen, (and on these formums) etc. on the V6 in the Camry and Highlander. Both indicate that premium is recommended, just like the new Avalon. However, it is truly a recommendation and not a requirement in those vehicles. Those will run fine with absolutely no pinging on regular gas. The engine adjusts automatically to whatever you use. Supposedly horsepower as a result is 5-10hp less and many claim that gas mileage is slightly less with regular vs. premium. Those who have used both said you can feel the performance difference. However, 280hp is way more than most of us need, so as long as the engine automatically adjusts in the new Avalon as it does in the Camry & Highlander, you should be fine. Even with that said, I recommend you don't just take my word on this. You should talk to some mechanics or service managers who you trust and make your own decision.

It may just be a personal hangup, but I refuse to buy a vehicle that REQUIRES premium gas. That is why I will never consider a Lexus because they do not have this self adjusting feature.
    I've struggled for some time which way to go, and ultimately, it breaks down like this for me:

Fully loaded '05 Camry XLE V6 with Nav: $26,700

'05 Avalon with Nav & Stability Control: $36,150

The prices above include the 5% tax and are based on the actual price that I am likely to pay at the dealership. $10K difference -- I am having a hard time justifying that premium, even considering the Avalon goodies.

At this point, I am leaning towards the fully loaded Camry XLE or perhaps a bare bones Avalon XL (if it can get it below the MSRP, which is probably unlikely).
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    We stumbled on the Toyota Avalon by chance. Having been impressed with the spaciousness and performance of a 2003 Camry LE rental car we dutifully evaluated the LE, SE and XLE at our local Toyota dealer, and then sat down at the salesman’s table with the intention of politely kissing him off. The interiors just didn't convey "class"; in fact we considered them all rather utilitarian. My wife spotted an Avalon XLS on the showroom floor, and we fell in love with it immediately. A test drive in a used model followed, and several hours later we had negotiated a 4-year lease on the fully loaded, cinnamon red 2003 XLS with leather bucket seats, lacking only a navigation system.

Every time I get into a Camry I have the same sense of visual disappointment. I paid a lot more for the Avalon, but have never regretted it. With all the improvements in the new Avalon model the choice would, for me, be even easier.
  • dglass10090dglass10090 Member Posts: 2
    Currently none of the JBL stereos that toyota offer play mp3s. Only the pioneer stereo in Scions has that ability. But toyota has mentioned that stereo improvements are on the way such as xm radio so maybe mp3 abilities will be one of those improvements.