Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• One of the cars that will give the Avalon a run for its money is the Kia Amanti. The Amanti will have a lot to offer and will be under $30,000 fully loaded, for example: one touch up/down windows for the front and the rear, heated seat options for the front and the rear, one touch open/close sunroof, heated outside mirrors, and whole bunch of others, and you can get all of that for about $28,000. If the 2005 Avalon is going to be as nice as I hear it is supposed to be, that they would be well served to offer the same options and features found in the Amanti. If Toyota can't go toe to toe with Kia, then something is terribly wrong
  • pmcb84

Talk about being frustrated trying to find out information about the 2005 Avalon, I started back in May 2003 trying to find information on the changes for 2004. Imagine my shock to find out that steveB84 was right when he posted "no changes for Avalon in 2004 model". I could not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. I still have not bought one. Now hunting info on the 2005 like everyone here. The bench seat is the option most important to me and my wife. I will buy a 2005 if I can get it with the bench seat. If not I will try to find a 2004 XLS the way I want it if they are still around. I too am hoping some one will post reliable 2005 Avalon information here.
  • Seajay, we're all feeling that frustration about the lack of info for a new model less than a year away. I'm hoping the '05 Av gets unveiled at the January auto show in Detroit, though the roster of cars for that show is not yet available.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    to find spy shots of an Avalon? When the Camry was redesigned Toyota I don't think kept the spy photo's a secret now like they are doing now with the 05 Avalon.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The Camry redesign was a well kept secret. Pics and confirmed information only leaked out the April before the September official launch.

~alpha
  • 1. May hurt 2003 Avalon sales.
    2. Its another styling dud from Toyota.

Personally, I am praying its number 1!

I have been a Toyota owner for 15+ years. My wife and I each drive Camry's (97 and 01). But recently, I have had nightmares where a day came that Toyota had finally given their top of the line car a top of the line style! "Toyota Quality" and "World-Class Style" could share the same sentence! And that car was in our driveway! Then, of course, I wake up and realize it was just a dream. To be fair, the Avalon is not a bad car, the comfort and conveniences are unquestionably compelling, but its styling simply puzzles. In my opinion, the current Avalon would be far more popular had they went a little further with the application of the Lexus GS styling cues. It appears they started with the GS silhouette, then, in an attempt to avoid being a blatant copy, chose to differentiate the two by giving Avalon the wide mouth / narrow body / flat roof / small wheels look. I believe that decision totally polarized the Avalon market. People seem to either love it or hate it. For the sake of appeasement, Toyota could have at *least* offered some appearance package upgrades (chrome wheels, better paint, etc.). Instead they seem determined to hold this notion that the buyers in the Avalon market have no sense of style. I think they call it "Japanese Buick" - the idea that old people just want to get from "A" to "B" and could care less about what the car looks like. I think the Cadillac Sedan de Ville blows that theory right out of the water. The average Cadillac buyer is at least the same age if not older than the average Avalon buyer. But yet, Sedan de Ville offers a huge number of appearance enhancing options that I assume attempts to address the desires of their market. I believe that when Americans make top line purchase decisions, a high percentage of us are strongly influenced by appearance. Oh well, as we all know, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...and maybe Toyota will consider some fresh eyes around their design offices.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,230
    The styling of the Avalon, (Version to 2.0 - 2.04) is chameleon like. Up close the car looks very nice and refined. But when in motion especially from the rear the car looks like a big box on wheels.

I guess this is the design theme for the new Toyota since the Corolla is a petit version of the Avalon. For 2005 I believe it will be more of the same. I am still waiting though.
    Another styling dud from Toyota? Think most of Toyotas redesigned vehicles of late are nicely styled. The Camry looks great, if not in LE trim with those ugly wheelcovers, definitely in SE and XLE trim with the alloys. The Corolla is sharp, the Solara is distinctive and upscale....

I agree that the 2000-2004 Avalon is a bit odd in its proportions, though, and I hope the redesign is at least somewhat eye-catching.

~alpha
  • I guess I'm one of those styling dull thuds. Never have liked the rolling jelly bean style of of my 96 and find the current style even worse. Didn't keep me from buying then and it wouldn't now - as long as the car is quiet, roomy, has a great A/C, and gives outstanding comfort. For me, as long as a vehicle isn't too awful in my eyes, style isn't an issue unless I feel it is so bad that resale will suffer significantly (Aztek (sp) comes to mind).

Looks can attract and get us to the showroom, but once there substance becomes prime.

It would be nice be able to get an Avalon sport/performance version though. Maybe one with a supercharged engine or a Prius like electric assist, bigger sway bars, more wheel and tire... . Probably will not happen, but does not mean I wouldn't buy one again.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    I just don't find anything about the new batch of Toyota's thats attractive. I mean one of Toyota's weaknesses has always been exterior styling with the exception of the Celica which is getting the ax in favor of a new Scion Coupe after the 04 model year. The RAV 4 also sharp but looking which might be getting the ax too. All I see form Toyota is them using nice interior materials's in their cars. Toyota is getting beaten badly in the younger buyers category by Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Mazda, and VW. Sales of the Celica to younger buyers were not enough too level out sales of their average age buyer. Their reliability edge is invisible now. Toyota is a company that might make mistakes twice with the same product and then cash in on a 3rd opportunity(looks at their entry's into the pick-up market: the T-100 was a flop and then the Tundra was a hit.) So maybe there is hope Toyota will find exterior styling wothy of bringing young buyers to showrooms. The Prius looks like a nice start: imagine that a Toyota that actually looks pretty cool.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Avalon has a core following due to several things, none of which relate to pure "beauty" as in the eyes of many. The car is smoothe, quiet, and has a big gas tank and rear seat. If Toyota wishes to change any of these basic features, they will gain, and lose, some buyers. Toyota makes the call and we watch. Avalon needs no performance extras. Wrong car, as built. It will be interesting to see if Toyota goes with the current type vehicle or changes Avalon to a "sport" image of some kind. As always, this board is a great place for spy pics and other links when available. Loved my '99XL and my loaded '03XL is flawless so far.... enjoy one today.
  • I just checked the official site of the North American International Auto Show and no, the '05 Av is not listed among the new vehicles to be introduced when the auto show is held next month. I'm beginning to wonder if the rumored '05 Av redesign is really gonna happen.
  • Keep in mind, I don't think the 2000 Avalon was shown until it was available to buy.
    Check out the "Crown Concept" on toyota.com under Vehicles---> Future Vehicles.

~alpha
  • Hope the Crown Concept is the new Avalon.
  • Doubt it. The Avalon is the Japanese Premio and the Toyota Crown was discontinued from the US in the late-80s or early-90s. The "CROWN CONCEPT" is currently on sale in Japan in the same model variants as before: CROWN ATHLETE, CROWN MAJESTA, CROWN ROYAL. The ATHLETE and ROYAL are is the new Crown (Athlete for sport, Royal for luxury) and the Majesta is being carried over.

If the Crown ever made it to US, it would probably a Lexus due to its high-luxury content. I wish it were the new GS!!
    DONT SAY THAT. The GS is a sporting line, and the "Crown Concept" looks to be a boulavardier in the vain of the Avalon, LS, etc.

We'll have to see what winds up on our shores as the next Avalon.

~alpha
  • The Crown Concept is most like the LS 430/Celsior. The Avalon was the same car as Japan's Toyota Pronard, which I believe has been discontinued.
  • Yea, it was the Pronard!!

Alpha01: I know it's not going to be the next GS, I just wish it was a hint of one. The Crown Athlete looks much better than the Crown Concept, I might just add. In Japan, Toyota's sports sedans are the Altezza, Aristo, and Crown Athlete. Makes me wonder ......why two different midsizers???

Coolguyky7: Yea, it would be great though if the Crown became the next LS!!! Or shold I say "LS300T"??
  • Just checked out the 03 Pronard. It looks identical to the 03 Avalon, exept of course for the right hand drive. Question is will the Grill which looks a lot more stylish and refined fit my 03 Avalon?
  • nomad56nomad56 Posts: 134
    The Avalon is NOT a Pronard. A Pronard is an Avalon! Exported to Japan. You guys are overlooking the fact that the Avalon is about as American as a car can get. It's not just built here, it is "drawn" here! All we have to do is make sure the Toyo engine fits under the hood. I look forward to a new design too, but keep this in mind when we're guessing! -nomad56-
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pronard has been discontinued. Georgetown does not export them anymore.
  • >> You guys are overlooking the fact that the Avalon is about as American as a car can get. It's not just built here, it is "drawn" here!

There's this car:

http://www.avalon.toyota.com.au/Avalon03/HomePage/0,,,00.html

http://www.avalon.toyota.com.au/Avalon03/Portal/Article/0,1225,18- 4-248-5331,00.html
  • Is it possible that by the fall of 2004 that Toyota Avalon fans will be smiling?......Is it possible that our Avalon will look and be equipped anything like that one?......Somebody please say yes
  • That Australian model is the same basic design as the 95-99 US generation. Compare the interior door panels (very clear) and the exterior window shapes. I find it odd that this generation is still sold in Australia.
  • Yes, I agree with coolguy, this is the previous generation Avalon. Some car companies do that, meaning that they put out a "new" car into a foreign market that was a previous generation car her in the U.S.
  • nomad56nomad56 Posts: 134
    Coolguy is right. The Ausie Avy is a generation behind the US. It is a variation on the US model, that is built in Australia. Their version is designed there! Incidentally, it does not sell very well in AU.
  • The styling on that Australian Avalon makes it look like a "Generation 1.5".
    Good catch, looking at those pictures makes it very evident this is the old Avalon. Amazing how hideous they managed to make it!!!

I still dont see why the Crown concept on www.toyota.com cant be a viable option/possibilty.

~alpha
  • Though it may be the next Avalon, it may not be. It may just be the new US Toyota Crown. But that doesn't exactly mean it is coming here. First, I don't think Toyota would like to lure customers away from the upcoming GS. The new Crown in Japan shares many parts with the Aristo. They also have the same engines and same V8s available. The interior look too nice, even for Toyota. But, you never know what's going to happen!