Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• sdanderssdanders Member Posts: 37
    I am a big guy (295 and 6'4") and suffer from arthritis and find the Avalon seating in my 05 XLS to be great, except for a pressure point on my thigh at seat edge. Probably just me and my health problems but more comfortable than most others to drive. I bought mine in FL and drove it to TN and was very impressed. Aside from air leaks on both front doors/windows and a hard rear suspension on occasion when hitting a bump I don't have too many complaints. The local dealer bends over backward to accomodate me without any appointments etc. Just balanced all the wheels tonight in fact....really smooth now.
  • regisregis Member Posts: 94
    "It's certainly true that additional fine-tuning of the software is needed, especially with the cruise control resume function, which is too aggressive."

I too believed the Avy's cruise control resume was too aggressive until I accessed http://mynewavalon.com/ and discovered that you can increase or lower speed one mph incrementally by "tapping" (not holding) the control up or down. This feature was probabally on my two previous Avalons. I seldom used resume because of it's perceived aggressive behavior but use it all the time now to control highway speed.
  • maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    Will Toyota ever remedy the shortcomings of these two items?

When I left on a recent trip, the mpg showed 19.4 and 200 miles later was 29.4 when I refilled. After refilling, the indicator went down to 15.4 mpg and at the end of the trip was 27.4. I drove the exact same route, same speeds. Most times when I refill, the indicator goes down to about 7mpg and then it takes the entire tank to build back up to city or cruise avg mpg.

I can't imagine why the engineers had the trip timer to reset to zero each time the ignition is turned off/on.

After five months, I'm finally accepting its shortcomings, particularly the transmission. I fixed my window rattle by slipping a length of weed cutter string under the window gasket. If it wasn't for the engine, I believe the car would be gone.
  • jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    Hope your problem eventually gets fixed.
    You can't win this argument captain2. Even professional drivers will conceed that braking while swerving results in a more controlled maneuver. Brakes are there for more than just stopping the vehicle. A controlled maneuver is more important on the freeways because it helps you to maitain control of your vehicle. Remember that you are not the only vehicle on the highway. Wouldn't you rather slow enough to maintain control while swerving and have that ladder clip the side or rear quarter of your car than possibly lose control, side swipe another car or roll over? In fact, the best thing to do in traffic is to brake, grit your teeth and take the hit. The ladder will do less overall damage to your car than you could by contributing to a multi car accident.Please tell me of any instructional drivers manual that says to swerve without braking in any situation. You won't find one. All auto manufacturers aren't designing these systems incorrectly. They are designing them based on accurate information from data and people who know quite a bit more about driving and automobile dynamics than you and I do. You might not like the way these systems work, but they contain proven technology that was actually developed on the race track.
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    jayvis,

If you needed to avoid a projectile coming at you, like the flying ladder that captain2 described, I certainly pictured wanting to accelerate while turning sharply (traffic permitting). In fact, also in normal driving the rule is to brake before reaching a curve, then accelerate during the turn. This is to allow for the physics of the motion. Important to remember not to brake during a sharp turn, especially when driving on snow or other slippery conditions.

havalongavalon
  • sdanderssdanders Member Posts: 37
    so much is automatic in the persons actions. Several years ago I was behind a flat bed semi on the freeway when the truck bed bounced and flipped off a large railroad tie used for blocking loads. It became airborn directly for my windshield. I had 3 small children and my wife in the car (a new 1983 Olds 88 with the F1 suspension-I like control). We were in the left lane and I swerved to the right lane at 75mph without braking as the log flew by where my cabin had just been. Had I not done exactly what I did, the object would have come through the windshield and killed all of us. Braking would have impeeded the time to move over. I did manage to look into the rear view mirror as I swerved and didn't see anyone close. We were in a left sweeping divide as the freeway split into two different roads (that is why we were in left lane. Without the stiff suspension, a regular Olds would have wallowed and possibly lost control. I watched the log tumble and dance back and forth between lanes as we all thanked God. An electronic system would not have allowed me to do what I did and I am certain would have had the railroad tie inside my cabin.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    blane31: I also expected the new Avalon to be the same car as my 2002 Avalon, just newer with "more" - building on the attributes of the old.
    The new Avalon isn't really a spiritual successor to the old Avalon. The character of the car has changed. It is no longer the smooth-as-silk quiet-as-a-church every-thing-works-perfectly luxomobile that it was.
    It is now harder, sportier and firmer, more European in flavor and has electro-mechanical quirks. It is more Mercedes than Lexus which may or may not be a good thing.
    Some may like this new firmer "feel" but I certainly preferred the flavor of the old "soft" Avalon. Make sure the new Av is what you really expect before committing, don't assume it is the same car as the old. It is not the same car.
    I think most people will be perfectly happy with the new Av, unless they had an old one which (unfortunately?) set a very high precedent!
    If I knew then what I know now, I would have held on to my '02.
  • joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    One can always name incidents where safety mechanisms will or have done more harm then good. You were extremely lucky in not getting hurt; however, you do sound like someone who says "my X cousin survived an accident because he/she did not wear a seat belt, therefore I will not wear one."

Seat belts, air bags, ABS system, etc have directly contributed to a death or injury of people. But the fact of the matter is, statistically, they all (including VSC) have been correlated to lowered the risk of injury or death on the roads. Afterall, the insurance companies who are all about statitics, will not give one a discount because they have ABS, VSC if they dont lower the risk...
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Every time I read Toyota's explanation of the engine/throttle hesitation "problem", "It's to protect the drive train", I can't help but think back, remember, that early Airbus crash in France.

The Pilot's control of the elevator was "artifically" limited by the "fly by wire" firmware such that the Pilot was prevented from applying so much "up" elevator that the airframe would/could/might be premanently damaged due to aerodynamic over-stressing.

And yes, the Pilot was at fault for getting the airplane "under the power curve" to begin with but in the end it was ruled that absent that articial limit the airframe may have had to be scrapped but the passengers and crew would still be alive.

"Protect the drive train!"
    the vote is still out on ABS...

The statistics indicate that vehicles with ABS are ever so slightly more hazardous than those without. The anomaly seems to be the result of run off the road single vehicle accidents with ABS.
  • geoshillgeoshill Member Posts: 27
    I've had my XLS for about three months now and my kids have been driving it. Nobody has heard a rattle yet. The throttle by wire and tanny management idea explains the things that happen that I read about here. We all love the car and have nothing yet to complain about. Maybe the tranny was assembled by women employees and they have installed their personal table of random numbers in the tranny computer operating system and it suffers from that maybe.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    hope you don't end up 'gritting your teeth while the EMS folks are unwrapping that ladder from around your neck. Let me know when you will be in Texas - I'll be sure to stay off the road!
  • hamickhamick Member Posts: 4
    I have a 05 Avalon Limited, there is no off switch for the traction control. I was finally in snow on Friday to test it. As I assumed it stops you going up a hill if the wheels are spinning. The "S" mode did not change this. Does anyone know a way in which to shut off the traction control?? Remember the brakes are the traction control (infor for for beginners!!) Thanks
  • blane31blane31 Member Posts: 8
    Damn, Alan. I've already given my 00 to my daughter.

John F. Kennedy was once asked what he thought of his decision to appoint Dean Rusk as Sec. of State. He said, "It reminds me of what the preacher said who was caught in bed with his choir director: 'If I'd knowed then what I know now, I would 'na done it.' "
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    ...interesting that Kennedy would've said something like that! ;)
    there isn't one - this being one of the reasons that I ended up in a Touring. While, in principle, there is nothing wrong with properly operating VSC systems the fact is that they do artificially limit (in most cars) the evasive capabilties of any vehicle - whether it be avoiding alan's ladder, sdanders' railroad tie, or your inability to get your Ltd. to drive properly in snowy/slippery conditions. All situations that actually happen somewhat frequently - keeping in mind that once is too many!
    Recently had a Sonata V6 (a $20k car) rental with a nice little VSC disable button on the dash. Here's my vote to require the mfgrs. and especially Toyota to provide the same on all models they produce. For my part, I feel safer in my no-VSC Touring and relying more on whatever driving abilties I still have left.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Got my dealer to raise my lights Saturday. On my '05 Limited, turning the adjustment screws CCW raises the lights. I now have better low beams visibility and of course the high beams are better too.
    Removing the ABS pumpmotor fuse should disable Trac. But be sure to put it back after getting "unstuck". Not being able to replenish brake fluid pressure will surely disable Trac braking and hopefully also prevent engine dethrottling.
  • bruin_alumbruin_alum Member Posts: 1
    Alright guys, here’s my quandary:

I now own a 1996 Jetta and I am looking to get a new car. The cars I have been looking at are as follows: (not necessarily in any order)

1.) Saturn ION2 – 4 door
    2.) Toyota Corolla
    3.) Scion xA
    4.) Chevrolet Cobalt
    5.) Mazda 3
    6.) Honda Civic

Part of the problem is that I need my monthly payments around $220/mo. I figure I can trade in my Jetta for ~ $1500. I can put about 2K down. I will finance the rest. I calculate that for what I can afford an month I need the car at about 16K out the door. The thing is, I can’t choose which I should get. If I look at cost, it’s the ION. However, I’m really partial to the Mazda 3, but it is a little pricey. Any suggestions. Are any one of these better than another?!?! HELP! J
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    why not buy a 2 or 3 year old used car. Then maybe you could step up to a Toyota Camry or a Solara or maybe a Honda Accord. Or if you buy american, you can probably even get a better deal as most american cars have higher depreciation rates than foreign cars. You could probably pick up a fairly loaded 2002 Dodge Intrepid for about 10-12k. Then you'd have some money left to add some mods or do some preventative maintenance on it. Just stay away from the Dodge 2.7 liter engine. It has sludging problems. Or you could get a 2000 300M for about 9-10k with maybe 50k miles on it. Now that's a classy ride and it gets pretty decent mpg too for a large car.

And as a bonus, your insurance, sales tax, car payments, and excise taxes would be lower.

Also, you won't take a large depreciation hit if you decide to sell in 2 years. With a new car, you will usually have the largest depreciation in the first year or two. Cars nowadays are much more dependable than cars from say 10 yrs ago or older. Just make sure to have the car checked over by a mechanic if you are not car savvy.
  • mem4mem4 Member Posts: 52
    Really? I was in snow, 3-4" wet, slippery on Thursday morning, fist time in my '06 Limited. Decided to try the VSC and traction control. Did donuts in a parking lot, 30 mph straight then tried a sharp turn, VSC never came on, the car just turned as I asked it to. Then I tried going up a steep, snow covered, long hill, one I have had trouble on in a 4WD pickup, the traction control worked and I went up without a problem. It makes weird noises and you have to keep your foot on the gas but it just stops wheel spin and allows the tires to grab, it doesn't bring the car to a stop.

In my mind the Traction Control on a front wheel drive car makes it almost as good as a 4WD or All Wheel drive vehicle in the snow. I can't say what the VSC will do because the car didn't seem to need it at 30 mph and under.
  • bmavalonbmavalon Member Posts: 5
    I have an 05 Limited with about 6000 miles. The heat, whcih is always set on auto at the desired temp., came on over the last week. When the heater begins to provide warm air there is a bad, dry stale smell. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you correct it? I checked the filter and it looks fine.
    Just installed reverse warning system on 05 Avalon. After I bought the system over ebay, I debated about a week over cutting those holes in the bumper. Since a local shop wanted $100 to install the system, I bit the bullet and decided to do it. Actually, it was quite simple and easy. The system came with a sized drill. Measuring for holes was the most critical for me. The bumper inserts look great and match the color (silver/titanium?) exactly. The system, with 4 sensors, cost $51.00, incl shipping. I elected for the beeper which I mounted in the trunk but a visual warning is available for $20 more, but I didn't want to string all that wire from the trunk to the steering.
  • mrtouringmrtouring Member Posts: 12
    i have an 05 touring with almost 6000 miles and also have that same heater smell. i was thinking to bring it to the dealer but wanted to see how many people are having the same problem..how can i fix this
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    If forum rules permit, please give the site you got the alarm from.
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    I too, have the problem with my 05 Ltd. w/12,000 mis. I believe, what we are experiencing is known as the dirty sock syndrome. This is a common occurance with new heat exchangers. The bare metal fins give off an odor when heated/cooled for the first few times. This usually diminishes with time. I first ran into this problem when I replaced the heat pumps in my home. When I called the manufacturer, the rep. knew exactly what was wrong. They replaced the heating/cooling coil with a new unit which was coated with zinc chromate and the problem went away.

I intend to wait a few weeks, to see if the odor goes away, before I address the problem with the dealer. :)

I really do like my Avalon. I consider it the best car I've ever owned and I've owned Volvo's, Acura's, and one Cadillac!
  • bmavalonbmavalon Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the response. Could you post your conclusions after you decide what to do. Thanks.
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    Be careful when considering GM products. I purchased a 2000 Cadillac Deville. It was a beautiful car but the overall experience was a disaster. It was the most unreliable car that I have ever owned and I've owned a lot of cars.
    It got to the point that I was afraid to take it on a road trip because the engine electronics was frequently failing.
    don't know if this is really a function of GM but more a corollary of Murphy's law - the more complicated something is, the more likely it is to break. Caddys, especially, having every electronic contrivance known to mankind. The CTS and the new STS are both pretty good cars, but would expect either to have more problems than the new Avs. The new Buicks (LaCrosse at this point) also been having teething issues. While history does support generally better reliabilities for the 'Japanese' brands, really think it is more a function of how any given car is optioned.
    Google for:

airsept EED

and:

denso demist
    maryj,

Good to know you did it. It is a fairly simple procedure. You paid less than I did 6 months ago for the Awell system which by the way, continues to work flawlessly. I really miss it when I drive other cars now.

For relative newcomers to this forum: I posted pictures in message #5550 backup sensors and buzzer installation in Avalon

Best wishes,

havalongavalon
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Hutch34:

Been laying low on this site, but you did say something, most don't really think about. Being an owner of an older XL, and disliking complicated and redundant electronic gizmos, I couldn't agree with you more. While I know this really makes some very emotional, is the navigation system really necessary for most??? What is there replacement cost when they break??? How long is there useful lifespan; as long as the vehicle itself(last car I kept for 11.5 years). Then how about those automatic climate controls, with 2 or even 4 zones, to control a space of less than 36 square feet?? How many Avalon owners have dual thermaostats/Zones in there homes??? And to boot, to buy these kind of unnecessary options on a 1st or 2nd year model car, is asking to dance with the dealership.

I am sure some differ and that is OK. I even thought the rain sensing wipers were a waste, but changed my mind about them the other day, when we were coming home in a snow storm and a big box truck splashed slush all over the windshield and we could not see anything for approx two seconds until we activated the wipers.

I guess it comes down to how much money you have to spend, the absolute need for the option, and it anticipated longevity.

Last note: The TWO most repaired items consumers buy in their homes (per CR) are #1 Home computers #2 Lawn/Garden tractors. Are these new cars, including the Avalon, now computers on wheels??

abfisch
  • tzuppetzuppe Member Posts: 13
    Just a note to say I got in a minor accident and am having to replace a broken outside drivers mirror ($550 plus installation) and a scraped headlight ($960 plus installation). Parts are priced like a LEXUS!!!
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    ATT:MARYJ. What brand system did you install?? Do you think that your beeper, as mounted in the trunk, would be loud enough for someone that has reduced hearing ability?
    had the same experience - minor fender bender that required a bumper cover, the foam absorber, and the same lense scratch on the HID light lense. Total bill ended up at $2600, but the majority of the parts bill and almost half the total bill the $1000.00 for the headlight assembly - it sure looked like that that lense only could have been replaced because the light itself worked fine.
  • deaner1deaner1 Member Posts: 6
    Being a 2005 LTD owner I've been noticing quite a few posts on the forum pertaing to the quality of the Toyota cars going downhill. Apparently this has been brought to the attention of the head shed in Tokyo. There was a article in the this mornings L. A. Times that I found interesting. Maybe we'll see a change.... What do you think? Here's the address. :)

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-ft-toyota28nov28,1,4955468.story?coll=la-headlines-busi- ness
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Very interesting article which confirms what we have been saying, but I don't see Toyota stepping up to the plate and making things right for us. You would think that existing customers would be a priority and worth preserving, but the game is all about future SALES and public perception. I guess customer service is now a thing of the distant past.
    I'm voting with my checkbook and we're replacing our rattling 4 year old Sienna with a Honda Pilot.
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    If you had to build a new Ltd from the ground up one part at a time purchased from Toyota, it would probably cost you ~$300K. If your going to keep your car for a long time, better to buy two new ones and keep the 2nd for spare parts.
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    One explaination for heater smell is the hot air contacting the new metal and plastic parts.

Another cause is when you are on air, the hot humid air comming across the cooling coil condenses moisture, water. This water tends to dry out and before it does it allows bacteria to grow and eventually give off oders. Some manufacturers use slingers and other means to keep the water from accumulating so the coil has as little water as possible.

I hope the mfgr didn't spray zinc chromate on your coil. This stuff is a cancer causing agent. We haven't used this chemical in cooling water systems for about 15 yrs. Sometimes zinc products are mistakenly used for galvanized metal. Zinc does have some biocidal properties.

I used to suggest using diluted hydrogen peroxide to clean big commerical air handeling copper coils. This has no oder and breaks down into water, harmless. ange1
    You being off the road is probably a very good thing. Wish you would have passed through Iowa during my Highway Patrol days. Chances are you wouldn't have left happy. Drive safely.
    of course, the mfgrs. make absurd amounts of money on parts - but, how much is too much. At $2000.00 for HIDs you will find it awfully difficult to justify the price of an XLS without the lights (the Touring is 2200.00 cheaper with the lights), or you will spend more for an XLS with them than you would for a Ltd. An incongruity in Toyota's pricing structure? Have read a number of posts from XL/XLS owners inquiring about adding the HIDs, shouldn't we expect that Toyota make them available at something reasonable? Maybe the aftermarket will take care of the problem ...
    Somewhere my answer to questions got lost. Will try to address them again. I can hear the beeper from the trunk and wish it was a bit louder but its OK. As to how good my hearing is ??

TO: Limited driver.
    The system I installed is called Valor. From Hong Kong. Go to ebay, put in "OEM reverse warning parking sensor." Seller was HK-Plus. They list sensors for all models of cars but the unit is universal. I think listing for each car is just a selling point.

If this has already been received, I apologize.
    "I can hear the beeper from the trunk and wish it was a bit louder but its OK."

We discussed beeper locations months ago with johni. I placed the beeper next to a rectangular hole in the metal shelf, behind the left rear seat. The sound carries well into the cabin. This beeper location is shown in a picture posted in #5550.

havalongavalon
  • ddent01ddent01 Member Posts: 19
    All, I will start with a disclaimer that I do NOT own an Avalon yet, but am planning to in the next month.

However, I happened across a thread in Prius section that discussed the NAV system over ride for their cars.
    The link is here http://wiki.ehow.com/Override-Toyota-Prius-Navigation-Gray-out

Can't make any guarantees, but it may be worth a try for those who wish to experiment. I take no responsibility for the results.

Good luck and post back if it works for you. :)
  • joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    Won't work. Avalon does not have a touch screen interface.
    which is precisely what you should do - that check for the Pilot likely money well spent. But don't you think for even a minute as all these apparent complaints reach the JD Powers' or consumer mags. that Toyota would find any value in shutting us up?
  • avvyavvy Member Posts: 9
    Gee, I have to agree with you about non-smoothness ride. My mother took over my 1997, XLS, with under 56K. The only thing I had to replace on that car was tires and battery.

My 2006, ltd. engine sounds very loud compared to my 1997. As a matter of fact, you had to put ear to front fender to hear car running. New one, Eeeeeek! It's loud engine sound. My brother says it's due to the dual pipes.

From dead stop at red light. Car jumps when you step on gas.

The other day had to try 6 times to start car. Dealership told me that they had a lot of problems with push start, because people don't step on brake first. Told him that was not my problem, I always hold brake down before starting. Dealer said that push button is connected directly to tranny and that there is no overriding it!

I'm also, not happy with Nav. My daughter had GMC Dalanti, and her Nav. turns radio down when directions are being given, also she gets continuous beep when approaching her turn. I like those features.

I'm not happy with hard front seats, after a long drive, feels like one is sitting on a boulder.

I like the body style. I feel too many buttons to learn. Also, I've noticed that you have to have hands on wheel at all times or car will pull to left. I have 118 miles on this car.

If I could have used this car for a week before buying, I don't think it would have been my choice. I do like the adjusting headlights ... very important when climbing steep hill.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Personally, I don't think Toyota pays any attention to this board (although there are some serious issues, many complaints are pretty picky). While there is an 800 # that consumers can call, I have a jaundiced view of the effectiveness of talking with someone in a call center. I'm a firm believer (and have gotten positive results) in sitting down and writing a letter (not an email) to the powers to be if you have a complaint about something. I've been pleasantly surprised with the quick reply's I've received.
    zekeman1