Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• perico1perico1 Posts: 32
    Thank you so much for your intelligent response to a reasonable question IMHO. I would not presume to judge what flaws are important to people when they buy a new car regardless of price. It appears some posters don't want to hear about anybody's personal demons. I guess they went to the school of "just shut up and be happy with what you got"...obviously a carryover from childhood experiences. Unfortunately, I have disregarded small problems in the past with my cars that have come back and bit me big time.

So again, thank you Ange for being a compassionate and empathetic poster. It is so nice to know you care. Perico
  • Have u release the wheel go? It's pretty annoying cuz it goes drifts right. Other than that the car does ride/look like a Benz.

Let me know if your car drifts.
  • avalonowner,

let me know how it goes with the manager. Sounds like yours is very bad. The drifting is pretty dangerous.

The dealer is getting testy about mines.
  • In my many years of experience, I have found that manuals and directions are helpful, but are not the answer to all problems. If they were, there would not be a need for forums such as these or the many supplementary books in numerous other areas. I assume that many of you, like me, have read the directions for the navigation system and are still finding various problems that aren’t addressed in the manual. Let's continue our dialogue so we can get smarter and experience greater driving enjoyment in our new Avalons.
  • johndjrjohndjr Posts: 80
    Zupra,
    Mine is a Limited. The mirrow lights are readily visable in the daylight. It came standard on my car.
    I have an '05 Limited. It has what is listed as a 'Park Pilot" on it. Has to do with an alert when backing up. I can find no literature on it. I'm tone deaf to it but my wife says she can hear it when I shift into reverse and the garage door is still down.
    My question, what distance etc does it provide? Also, on the lower left panel, between the steering col. and the trunk opener button, there is a round button labeled Park Pilot. It pushes in and out and rotates, but I can't tell that it does anything. Is the small black button on the right tail light something to do with this P P?
    Anyone know anything about it?
    I've searched the Owners handbook and find nothing there. Also the MyNew Avalon site doesn't show it either.
    1350 miles and happy as a lark in the morning with a new found worm.
    See! No nit picking! :)
  • angeange Posts: 158
    The small black button on the right tail light is used to open the trunk. Hold your smart key device near the button and it will open.

I have read the Toyota sale literature and there is no mention of a rear distance alarm.I am pretty sure your Park Pilot is not a Toyota standard option. I would check with the dealer, he must have installed it. Check to get literature on how it works. Ange1
  • spaz1spaz1 Posts: 2
    Hi All, Any ideal how to remove/replace the bulb for the center brake light on the back shelf. No reference in Owners manual....dealer is clueless
  • morganffmorganff Posts: 6
    If my count is accurate, you are the sixth person in this forum with a 2005 Avalon steering problem. Everyone describes abnormal pulling to the right. You can read descriptions about my steering problem by searching under morganff. I haven't gotten anywhere taking the car in six times to two dealers, so my dispute with Toyota is headed for court. I haven't made any other negative comments about my car. My car steered normally for about the first 200 miles, so I know what nice handling in this new Avalon is supposed to feel like. I'm happy for the owners out there with trouble free Avalons, wish I was among them.
  • gbinplanogbinplano Posts: 65
    John D, Jr. I also have Toyota's Parking Pilot. It is part of the ExtraMile package offered by Gulf States Toyota dealers. I believe it is the same as the unit available on the Sienna and Toyota trucks as well as various Lexus products. I received a 5 1/2" x 8 1/4" Form #4916 entitled "Ultrasonic Parking Assist System" with my new vehicle papers from the dealer. It describes the three detection zones and operating characteristics. Essentially, the first beeps in reverse indicate that the unit is active. From five to three feet from an obstacle the alarm emits a slowly beeping sound. The beeping increases in frequency from three to one and a half feet, and becomes a solid tone from one and a half feet to the obstacle. Obstacles that are sloped away from the car or are very thin, like a light pole, may not be detected properly. The document notes that the warning device is not meant to replace driver vigilance. There is no mention of the black button on the dash. I suspect that it is used to silence the alarm under special circumstances, such as when towing something (although that is not recommended on US delivery Avalons).

My Parking Pilot has served me as well as I would have expected it to thus far.

Hope this helps,

Greg Brown
  • lakedoglakedog Posts: 15
    All my previous cars have had the regular ignition key, but my Limited has the smart-key feature. How can I listen to the radio without starting the car? The owner's manual seems to be lacking in this area.
  • 1violinist1violinist Posts: 338
    If you press the "Start Engine" button without putting your foot on the brake it will let you use the accssories but not start the engine. You may find all detailed instructions at:

www.MyNewAvalon.com
  • sorry guys for sucha language its my bad all of this because of supraforums.com LOL !
    ok i know theres a pot light under the mirrors but i really never be able to see my turn signals indicators in the day light they never appears :( how come i cannot see them >? or does toyota imported for us BAHRAIN some custome made mirrors with pot lights but without LED trun signals ?

please inlight me guys .

ali
    by the way cuz mean because :D
  • dan41dan41 Posts: 180
    This certainly sounds like a dealer installed back-up detector. Assuming this is the case, the dealer should have provided you some user information and also warranty information ( who do you call if it needs servicing ?). I just installed a reverse distance detector by awell.com and, so far, I'm very pleased with it. Especially, because my Limited has some blind spots when I'm backing-up. There were a few other board members who have also installed this system and they seem to be happy with theirs.
    " pricecutter - In my many years of experience, I have found that manuals and directions are helpful, but are not the answer to all problems. If they were, there would not be a need for forums such as these or the many supplementary books in numerous other areas. I assume that many of you, like me, have read the directions for the navigation system and are still finding various problems that aren’t addressed in the manual. Let's continue our dialogue so we can get smarter and experience greater driving enjoyment in our new Avalons."

A great suggestion. You can get a wealth of new information from other members. As an example, just last week I learned from a post that you can control the audio on/off simply by depressing the mode switch. I'd like to see a general post, such as "new features found in the Avalon" or a specific one like " new features found in the navigation system".
    "If you press the "Start Engine" button without putting your foot on the brake it will let you use the accessories but not start the engine. You may find all detailed instructions at: www.MyNewAvalon.com"

You can depress this switch one or two times. Depress switch one time and it allows you to turn on nav and audio. Depress two times and it allows for you to turn on all other accessories, such as windows, fan, etc.
  • soulmastersoulmaster Posts: 12
    My good friend:
    You should know by now that nothing in life is perfect including life itself. The point I/we are trying to make is that sometimes we can create our own problems if we allow ourselves to see only the negative. I am a proud owner of an 05' Avalon Touring as well as a Porsche,Benz and Volvo. I am here to tell you that my S55 is certainly not $100,000 better than the Toyota. As a matter of fact,Mercedes' free scheduled maintenance was also retracted for for the '05 model year as well(Thus making ownership a bit more insane with it's $800 glorified oil changes). When I look for imperfections in any of my cars I can certainly find them.The Avalon is a wild bargain for 30K+. MY PRESCRIPTION FOR ALL MY FELLOW AVALON OWNERS IS TO DRIVE THEM AS IF THEY WERE STOLEN!!!!!!!!! ENJOY
    Greg & Dan,
    Thanks for the reply and the info. I'll call the dealer for the Form 4916.
    In the meantime, I WILL NOT back into anything!!! :D
  • just__mejust__me Posts: 508
    Well said. No squeaks, no window distortions, no hesitation, wood dash lines up with door simulated wood, front end doesn't bow when I slam on brakes doing 35 MPH, 31 to 32 highways MPG, everything so far works. I would have to look for things to find, so why bother. Very quiet in the cabin when going slow or fast. My seats are very comfortable, no leather creases bothering my back. The silver little doors work to perfection so far. I had the exhausts lined up, that was the only thing noticed. So for me so far, it's perfect.
  • evancdsevancds Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I've read the manual for my limited, but I still can't figure out how to turn of the engine while leaving the accessories on. Can some1 help? thanks.
  • twright2twright2 Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2005 Avalon XLS (9 miles) on Sunday, May 30, I took it back because of a strong vibration when driving on winding, slightly hilly roads. The steering wheel would actually shake and my clients felt it from their seats. The service dept. now tells me that they cannot help me unless they are able to duplicate the problem.
    I experienced this problem four times in four days, (385 miles). I do not plan to take the vehicle back, unless it is repaired.
  • 1violinist1violinist Posts: 338
    All you have to do is press the "Engine" button twice: the first press will shut the engine off, the second will get into "accessories" mode.
  • oldjackoldjack Posts: 7
    Havalongavalon-

Thanks for your prompt reply to my question concerning the wiring code. I was looking at the wires for the rear turn signals rather than the backup lights,
    Now that I've got that straight, How did you access the backup light wires? I removed the fasteners for the trunk lid liner, but I cant pull it back far enough to reach the backup light fixture. I can see the wires running into the hinge arm, but I can't get to the wires at the light fixture.

oldjack
  • donb1donb1 Posts: 47
    I was out driving a Limited today and turned on the Naviagation Screen. It seemed to be fairly easy to read and understand. When I switched the display to Audio I got a message on the screen that said something to the effect that in the interest of safety there would be no message displayed when the car was in motion. Has anyone seen this?? If so can it be changed? I am going to be ordering the Sirius Radio and I like being able to look at the screen and seeing what song is playing on the oldies station.

Thanks
  • spaz1spaz1 Posts: 2
    HAS ANYONE HAD THEIR WINDOWS TINTED? IF SO.... IS THE TINT CUT AROUND THE INSIDE 3RD BRAKE LIGHT OR OVER IT. HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE LIGHT?
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    "Hi, I've read the manual for my limited, but I still can't figure out how to turn of the engine while leaving the accessories on. Can some1 help? thanks."

Really don't think that you can. You have to kill the engine and then hit the start button with your foot OFF the brake pedal to get the ACC on ON functions to work.

MikeS.
  • swardsward Posts: 20
    RE: "All my previous cars have had the regular ignition key, but my Limited has the smart-key feature. How can I listen to the radio without starting the car? The owner's manual seems to be lacking in this area."

Hey lakedog,

Just press the start button once with your foot off the brake, and you will be in the "accessory" mode, and you can listen to the radio. A second press will enter "ignition on" mode, just like the position in a keyed ignition switch before a car starts. If you have your foot on the brake, the car will start on the first press of the button. This is all covered in detain in the manual. It works like a charm!

sward ;)
  • lakedoglakedog Posts: 15
    Thanks to all of you who provided answers to my question, this forum works great!
  • soulmastersoulmaster Posts: 12
    Has anyone added wheels,woodkits or widgets to their 05' Avalons to individualize the look. I have added 19" black wheels with a polished lip as well as tint to my black Touring. If you have made some modifications please post.