Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Yes. Like johni said, everything needed is inside the trunk. Access to the reverse lights wiring is near the top corner of the trunk lid, near the hinge.

havalongavalon
  • eljefe1eljefe1 Posts: 12
    I thought at first I was just sloppy, but I've noticed that also...I'll have my dealer check it out when Iget serviced
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    Thanks again. I would not buy the current model Camry. I would probably wait until the 2007s, but I really like the styling of the Avalon.
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Posts: 104
    Hi alan s.
    Consider yourself lucky, as we avalon owners here in Canada have to pay toyota's access pricing, which is full list price. They won't drop the price by a dime. It amounts to price fixing here but Toyota gets away with it. Most of the honda / acura dealers also don't discount. I will say that compared to some other manufacturers, Toyota automobiles do represent good value. The best we can do is get a better trade in for our old car, or ask for a free oil change. I think I'll buy my next car in the USA.
    Take care
    gladiator99.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    If you want to save money then the best thing to do his buy the car toward the end of the MY( model year) right before the subsequent MY cars are released ( that would be right about now ). Our local dealers are advertising 05 Avalon for $1200 OFF MSRP. Nothing great but not too bad either.
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    The all new redesigned 07 Camry is coming out next Spring ( probably around March 06 ). It might be worth the wait since the V6 version will get the same powertrain as the Avalon (albeit with maybe 20 to 30 less HP). The price should be a lot less than the Avy.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    The pictures I've seen of the new Camry redesign look a lot like the new Avalon. Some family cues so to speak. I still don't foresee folding mirrors.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • toyotakentoyotaken Posts: 897
    I would agree. For the most part, Toyota has only had the folding mirrors on CARS that have been imported as it allows them to pack them tighter for shipping. Trucks and SUV's have pretty much had them for their larger size. But I don't anticipate folding mirrors on the next gen. Camry either.

Ken
  • 1violinist1violinist Posts: 338
    Do the new Camry pics look anything like the Japanese Mark X? I certainly hope so:

Mark X
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Yes, and not only is the price fixed but the car is de-contented. In the Canadian market there is NO availability of Smart Key with pushbutton start, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, power rear sunshade, ventilated seats, power driver's seat cushion extension, and driver's seat and outside mirrors memory systems.

If potential buyers when informed there would be no discounts from MSRP walked out of the dealerships without buying the cars, then this hard-nosed pricing crap would change. But no, the passive Canadian consumer sheeple just go ahead and pony up for the "privilege" of buying the nice, shiny, de-contented Tyoty. Pathetic. Toyota Canada must laugh all the way to the bank.

:mad:
  • rwb2rwb2 Posts: 85
    Suggestions-change gas brands; pay close attention to the response of the engine to different driving conditions (do you notice anything unusual?); and finally-drive 100 highway miles at 65 mph immediately after filling up and see how you do. Good luck
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    They look just like the pics on your link.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • wynwyn Posts: 32
    I wonder? My Avalon is an XLS---No Smartkey. The Toyota rep did tell me that dealers have the capability and equipment to bypass the instructions and change these settings easily. If he was correct, it might be worth mentioning your frustration to the dealer. I did walk out and go through the process successfully again just now to confirm that it continues to work reliably on this vehicle. Good Luck!
  • albiealbie Posts: 2
    Please post if you get any answers. My dealer had it all day, and since they were not able to replicate the problem they basically sent me on my way with no explanation. At least I got a free fill-up out of it. I find the gas cap on this model a little quirkier than my 96 Avalon so I am going to be sure to tighten it completely and be extra neat at the pump.
  • teddylegteddyleg Posts: 8
    Well, I guess that's where my real frustration lies. I DID tell the dealer prior to picking up my car and my sales guy said he spent over 2 hours with the service guys trying to get the settings as I had specifically asked. He was so frustrated when I saw him that day, he looked like he had just been dragged through a knothole. He said they all all their special equipment out to override the settings and couldn't at all get what I wanted.

I'm not sure where to go from here? Anyone else out there with a Limited who was able to get the door locks to change to lock at 12 mph?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
  • jickajicka Posts: 38
    Read the manual and follow directions exactly. When ever I have a question about a feature of the Avalon - I look at the manual!
  • rodc2rodc2 Posts: 26
    Re: Does anyone know where the nine speakers are located.....

Toyotaken has already answered this question for you, but if you would also like to see pictures and more details of the Avalon JBL system go to http//:www.toyotajbl.com/

Rod
  • teddylegteddyleg Posts: 8
    I've looked at the manual. Followed the instructions exactly (and I'll note that the manual makes no mention of when to press or depress the brake which apparently has a signficant impact on success of changing this function). And the fact that the dealer spent over 2 hours trying to change this (including using all of the override equipment) should be reason enough alone that we are all doing something wrong (meaning the manual is drop dead wrong).

There REALLY should be an easier way to change this. One that is much less complicated, with less steps, yet that would still be nearly impossible to "accidentally" change.

And as for the owners manual, I can honestly say that of all the cars I have owned (and this includes Nissans and Acuras) this is the worst owners manual (and nav manual for that matter) that I have seen. It looks like it was poorly written in Japanese and then poorly translated to English.
  • jickajicka Posts: 38
    (and I'll note that the manual makes no mention of when to press or depress the brake which apparently has a signficant impact on success of changing this function). Ok, then try it with and without depressing the brake. I read in the manual somewhere that (with the smartkey in the car) without pressing the brake, the first push on the switch gets you to the "accessory" function. Push the button one more time gets you to the "on" function - you can operate the windows and at least the fan function of the A/C.

I guess that you can get to the internet. Try http://mynewavalon.com/avalon_home.html . If this fails ask your son or your wife to help you out with this.
  • gwsgws Posts: 67
    Although some Calgary area Toyota dealers apply the Access pricing, others do not. If a first-time prospective purchaser has obtained a less-than-Access price quote from another dealer, it is likely that an Access dealer will become 'flexible'... Some Access dealers, in any bccasewill provide a discount to repeat buyers and family members. So, don't believe all you are told - check around.
  • rwb2rwb2 Posts: 85
    I'm guessing, but your dealer guy maybe washes cars as his number one job. I've got the smart key system. It did take a couple of tries and about 5 minutes and a large dose of common sense but I did succeed. Don't get frustrated and don't keep trying the same thing over and over if it doesn't work. Write down every combination you try so that you don't duplicate. If all else fails take it to another dealer and stand there while they try it. Or call Ttoyota while trying it in the car. Good luck
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Posts: 102
    Am I missing something here? Why would folks living in Canada deliberately let themselves be shafted by greedy dealers who only offer grossly under-equipped Avalons at inflated, non-negotiable prices? What is there to prevent anyone in Canada from finding dealers in the States, agreeing on price, and then simply coming here to pick up their cars when they come into the dealership?
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    Toyota (any manufacturer) can't offer the same models in Canada as they do in the States. It isn't cost effecient. Toyota may have sold 100 Avalons in Canada last year. Canada's population is approx. 30 million. The numbers just aren't there.

Exporting vehicles from the US may not be a cost saving venture. The current difference in Canadian vs. US dollar is approx. 1.3. It will cost Canadians $130.00 for every $100.00 spent in American funds. On top of that, you have to pay duties and taxes (Provincial and Federal). Although very similar, the vehicle must comply with Canadian standards before it can be exported. Also, the odometer reading is in kilometers in Canada.

I don't think that the Avalons in Canada are under-equipped or inflated in price. In fact the previous model was more expensive and was only offered in 1 package. The current Avalon can be had 4 different ways. Contrary to what some "greedy" dealers are suggesting, price negotiating is possible. "Access Toyota" was challenged in court a few years back by a consumer group. Toyota lost. Dealers can sell for less than the "Access Toyota" pricing if they wish to.

Unfortunately, Toyota is unable to accomodate everyone with this model (and with most vehicles available). In a good month Toyota may sell 16,000 vehicles in Canada. In a good year Toyota may sell 160,000 - 180,000 vehicles. I believe Camry sales alone in the States are approx. 400,000 for the year. That's why it's impossible for Toyota to offer the same number of models in Canada.
    It is similar to the Scion "covenant" that dealers in the states have. Toyota cannot by law "make" dealers sell at MSRP, same as GM for Saturns. What they can do, however is "strongly suggest" the practice as part of their business plan. They can also impose penalties for those who do not follow the business plan appropriately. "Making" a dealer use a set price is price fixing. "Suggesting" a specific business practice is not. Dealers still technically have the option to negotiate, but it isn't good business practice to do so.

BTW, Acess pricing in Canada and the Scion introduction I have heard are the soft roll out of the same idea across the board at all Toyota stores in the US sometime in the next 10-12 years or so. At least from what I've heard, Toyota corporate is tired of Toyota having the most desired vehicles on the road, but in many areas of the country having the worst dealership experience. They figure that the Saturn and Scion direction may be the way to correct that as both of those brands have the highest results in surveys about purchase experience.

No guarantees, but keep an eye out for it.

Ken
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    Ken, the thing I forget to mention is that since its inception "Access Toyota", vehicles seem to be sold at more reasonable prices. The idea behind the "Access Toyota" concept was to give the dealer a lower (in some cases) but guaranteed profit. Every buyer would pay the same. No one gets a better deal. It isn't in effect in Ontario (yet). I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with it. There will always be some doubt as to whether or not the best deal was achieved.

According to the court ruling, Toyota is not able to force or punish dealers that sell for less. In short, "Access Toyota" pricing is less than MSRP. It's the price that Toyota negotiated for the buyer (MSRP $20,000 - Access price $19,300). To some people that's pretty scary. What would happen to "you paid too much, I could have done better". I guess you can still play with the trade-in (if you have one).
    That's all true, but at the same time, there isn't the worry that you paid $1,000's more than the next person. It's no different than Saturn or Scion as I said above, in that the vehicles are priced lower relative to MSRP than comparible models from other manufacturers. If all you have to do is worry about the vehicle itself, rather than the whole sordid process of negotiations, then the purchase process may be more enjoyable. It seems to be working so far with Saturn and Scion, so we'll just have to see if it becomes more mainstream.

Ken
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    I find no amusement in this problem. Mine got busted in a parking lot, when the wind whipped a cart so strongly into the side of the car and then into the mirror as I watched in horror. I bet you the car salesman would not be laughing if it hit a bunch of brand new Toyotas in the new car lot. It is purly a cost cutting measure and nothing more. Hondas and Acuras all have foldable side mirrors as do most European cars. Make sure all Toyota salespeople tell there customers that this is a potential problem instead of selling them the latest GPS system instead of a good compass and a road atlas.

abfisch
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Posts: 102
    If reports posted here about $300+ replacement costs for non-foldable mirrors are true, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine just why Toyota doesn't have foldable mirrors on their vehicles, does it? It's just a guaranteed money-making scheme !
  • stoneb1stoneb1 Posts: 6
    Any news that the 2006 or 2007 Avalon will be offered as a hybrid?
  • haggishaggis Posts: 10
    54gradsteds wrote:
    "If reports posted here about $300+ replacement costs for non-foldable mirrors are true, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine just why Toyota doesn't have foldable mirrors on their vehicles, does it? It's just a guaranteed money-making scheme ! "
    I agree, it's a Toyota conspiracy. I've heard that the execs meet on a grassy knoll to come up with designs to gouge the consumer. ;)