Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I notice you have not posted what Toyota's settlement was with you. Did part of the settlement include you pledging not to post what they did for you? Please respond. I, and I would bet a lot of people who have been following your story would like to know.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    Toyota did not explicitly place any restrictions on me releasing information, however considering that Toyota made me a very fair and voluntary offer even after I had disposed of the Avalon and when they had no further obligation to do so, I feel that in all fairness to Toyota, the details of the offer should remain confidential.

It is regrettable that I had to take matters to the degree I did in order to get attention from Toyota. Now that the veil of denial has been blown away and the issues are out in the open, I hope that this benefits other Toyota customers by Toyota becoming more responsive to those having problems. This will ultimately also benefit Toyota because they will retain customers they would otherwise have lost and will improve the product.

For those of you experiencing problems - don't rely on the dealer or some low-level customer service rep to drive the issues for you. You have to take it as far up the ladder as possible.

I can't take full credit though - Edmunds was quietly instrumental in this, and it shows what an important and powerful medium Edmund's Town Hall has become.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    alan_s: What, if I may ask was your problem? Or, can you direct me to the Forum # where it is outlined? I have an 06 limited and so far, it is the BEST car I've ever owned--bar none--Caddy, Buick, Lincoln, Pontiac and Volvo. I haven't experienced any transmission problems or the "infamous" put your foot on the gas pedal this way issue. My 2 biggest concerns are the user unfriendly Nav System and the front end paint chips too easily--and I don't drive on dirt roads. Thanks and I'm glad you got your issue resolved.
    Bob
    I had numerous problems - and most have been described in this forum. Nothing that hasn't been experienced by other Avalon owners, but mine seemed to develop every problem listed out there.

The most serious of my concerns were very significant transmission/throttle-control problems and very poor build quality. Not just small irritations - I had a near miss caused by the transmission latency and surge, and the body was literally creaking itself apart. On two other occasions the transmission shifted into neutral as I was driving and wouldn't re-engage any gear until after I pulled over, turned everything off and restarted. I tried many different things, but the adaptive transmission always seemed to eventually compute itself into a state of confusion.

I don't want to rehash history, but collectively, the Avalon had more problems in 10 months than any car I've had in years of ownership over the last 25 years.

Toyota's quarterly earnings came out today reporting record profits.
    There was an interesting comment:

"In fiscal 2005, a favorable exchange rate added 300 billion yen ($2.7 billion) to its books, while cost reduction efforts another 130 billion yen ($1.2 billion)."

Perhaps my Avalon was the result of that cost reduction effort.
    alan_s: Guess you ahd the proverbial LEMON and then some!! Sorry you had so many problems. Again, I'm very happy --so far-- with our Limited and hopefully we'll enjoy many miles of typical Toyota trouble free driving. My neighbor has a 98 Camry 4 cyl with over 175K miles and nary a glitch--if only I should be so lucky!! I did see Toyota had record earnings--must be cahoots with Exxon-Mobil!!! What did you end up buying?
    Bob
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Btw, what did you replace your Avalon with ? An Infiniti M35/45?
    Oh never mind got it. :P
    You will think I am a psychotic heretic, however a strange thing happened at the Infiniti dealer...

I had my heart set on the M35 and went to drive the M35 again and work a deal, but they didn't have the one I wanted on the lot, so the salesman drove me to their other lot in his own new loaded Altima 3.5SL.

That was his big mistake. I was mightily impressed with the Altima and after driving the similarly sized M35 again, and comparing it with the 3.5SL, I decided that the Altima was an eight-tenths M35, with the same great engine for about $12,000 less!

I took a look at the Maxima again, couldn't get by it's ugly looks and techno-dashboard, and ended up getting a loaded-to-the-hilt Smyrna-built Altima 3.5SL.

After having driven it for 2 weeks now, I am very pleasantly surprised by the solidness and inherent quality that seems baked into this Altima. I don't want to upset you Avalonites, but I'd take this underrated plebeian Nissan over the Avalon any day.

It's not as glitzy as the Avalon, doesn't have the same prestige factor or $50K interior, is obviously smaller but this is a finely-honed platform with a superbly matched engine and transmission, excellent build quality, loaded with features, a dynamite Bose sound system and a lot of very solid car for the money.

The interior bits are sturdy, in alignment, fit tightly and are screwed down, the exterior panel gaps are smaller than the Avalon and everything works together seamlessly. Nissan has obviously been quietly improving this platform over the years.

It is an absolute rocket, quiet, refined, almost no road-noise and smooth to drive. The DBW system is invisible, transmission response is instantaneous, the engine zings and doesn't sound like a diesel and wonder of wonders, no rattles! I haven't had this much fun since I got my first bicycle - I love driving this car.

As a hardened Toyota and Lexus guy, nobody is more surprised than me, and I am laughing all the way to the bank. As Gomer Pyle would say "Surprise, surprise, surprise!".

...and that is the rest of the story.
  • avalon95avalon95 Member Posts: 17
    I don't think so. I traded a '95 Avalon (which I loved) for my '06. My other car is an '03 Altima 2.5S. So, I own two American-built cars: a Toyota and a Nissan.
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    My car has been perfect, too, except for chipping easily. I had a 2000 Avalon (black) that chipped easily, too. That is the main reason I traded it off. I have been extremely careful about not driving close behind trucks and rarely drive out on the interstate - mostly drive around town. Like you, I have not heard anything hit my car but have several chips on the hood. The paint looks extremely thin!
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    Tried the foot position and the result is the same. The problem occurs when resuming acceleration, nothing I have tried works. Incidentally I have been an auto mechanic for over 40 years. I appreciate your reply. One last thing, does anyone have the number for reporting this for investigation purposes?

Cj
  • baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    RE: "So, I own two American-built cars: a Toyota and a Nissan."

American assembled cars is more like it.
    Parts mostly Asian.
    And 99% of those whopping profits go to Japan.
    Japan,Inc thanks you.
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    "And 99% of those whopping profits go to Japan."

Not true. Profits go to shareholders.
    Toyota is a public company--traded on the NYSE and other stock markets worldwide.
    Many North Americans (and North American Institutions) own Toyota stock and receive dividends from profits. (They also own Daimler/Chrysler and other foreign automaker's stocks).
    We all benefit from profits generated by automakers, directly(wages, benefits, spinoffs, etc.) and indirectly (taxes, suppliers, etc.)

If foreign ownership is so distastful to you, then you should be aware that American companies own and control a great many offshore businesses--oil companies for starters.
    So maybe we should look at ourselves before criticizing other nations?

"Parts mostly Asian."
    Again, not true. It's well known where parts and other auto components are sourced. Japan is one of many sources, but North America--US, Mexico, Canada are the largest sources of supply for Toyota products built in North America.
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    It would be informative and perhaps helpful to others if you could explain how Edmunds was able to assist you in your quest for getting results. (You did mention that Edmunds was responsible in part for your success)
    Also, it seems you were able to get media support--an article about your situation in a newspaper. How might someone else go about getting attention in this manner?
    Did you contact them direcly or through a third party?
    Comment?
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    and, hylyner is right on. something well over 90% of Camrys and Avalons are built in Ky., both cars designed and engineered in a far off place called California. As hylyner notes, parts come from all over the world, but in these cases mostly from the US. These parts built to Toyota specifcations, of course. As far as where the profits go - you need to investigate the booming economies of places like Georgetown, Ky., Smyrna, Tn., and Marysville, Ohio; then, compare it to what has been happening in places like Detriot, Dearborn etc. before you can rail on any damage that 'Japan, Inc.' is doing to our economy. And, as hylyner also notes, the folks that invested in Toyota. We ought to be thanking the Toyotas of the world, don't suppose they had to locate their factories in this country at all.
    PS - an article in today's Wall St. Journal - the Sienna built in Kentucky and from 90% American made parts, that icon of the 'American' automobile, the Mustang, 65%. Guess you really can't tell whose pockets you are putting your money into!
  • yotaowneryotaowner Member Posts: 14
    New Limited owner with 1K on car. Foot positioning does little if anything, other than cause you to get a sudden burst of acceleration while repositioning your foot. I've noticed that the trans has a "jittery" presence in low gears especially if you brake then quickly apply gas. I'm coming off an 04 Max 6spd MT. If you think the Avalon trans is bad, test drive a Max and hold on for dear life...the torque steer will give you a near death experience. So far my new Ltd is exceeding my expectations....great acceleration from a 3.5L, dead quiet on the highway, "silky" ride, huge interior (5 adults with ease) and 30 mpg highway with unleaded reg :D .
    Alan- my heresy in the opposite direction of yours - the last 5 cars bought for my wife and later handed down to my kids, all Nissans. 91 Maxima, (3) Altima 4 bangers, and the one my wife currently is driving an '03 3.5 SE with 60k on it. I, of course, have the 05 Touring. And you know what, each and every one of them, damn fine cars. Only the Maxima that had power window problems and eventual transmission failure at 220k have ever even been in the shop.
    The VQ Nissan V6 is arguably the best V6 ever made. While current renditions from Honda and the 2GR in our Avalons may beat it a little on smoothness and efficiency there is nothing out there that has the VQ track record.
    My wife manages right at 26 mpg overall - 80% highway and she has no difficulty holding 80 out in the open. Just slightly off what I can do in my Av. I didn't think too much of those Bridgestone EL42 tires that came on the car and later replaced them with a set of Hydroedges (225/55/17) at the penalty of some road noise but with much better wear and wet handling. She runs it on regular with no problem. Nissans, as Nissans tend to be, are tuned more toward the 'sports sedan' side of things, so it does not compare with the quietness that I get on my Av - the SL trim (from what I've tested in the 05 Maxima) should not be nearly as 'hard'. Acceleration numbers should be very close, but my wife's SE has got a responsiveness to it not in my Avalon - brakes and an accelerator that are almost touchy and no aberrant tranny behavior. Or rattles, or any other problems. I do a lot of driveway 'repairs' and other than the normal filters and fluids, I'm only down one set of front pads and even they weren't all that bad at 40k. Belts and hoses I'll do this summer.
    And resale value holds real well - my wife was rear ended about 4 months ago - significant damage (the rear seat was pushed up into the back of the front seats) - wife not even scratched fortunately. Anyway, at $8500.00 damage thought I might be able to get the insurance co. to total it so Mama could have a new one - but no! According to the insurance whizes the thing is still worth $15.5k - for a 3 year old car, at 60000 miles, and that I paid $21K for!? The repairs went well and now I'm negotiating a substantial 'diminished value' check.
    You'll enjoy your 3.5SL and likely won't have to darken a dealers doorstep ever again (unless you want to). Curious though, I also shopped the M in early '05, and wasn't going to be able to get one off the lot for less than $45 (with the drivers preferred pkg.) - what are they getting for them now that they have been around awhile?
    Anyway, this is really kind of off topic - but you have been such a resource on this forum thought that I share a little info. on your new car. It is a winner...
    Thanks.
    Hey Captain! Glad that I am not the only heretic Avalon/Altima cross shopper out there.
    I'm also glad to hear about your positive Altima experiences - thanks for the info. The 3.5SL certainly is softer and quieter than the 3.5SE - the way I like it. When I looked at the Altima, I had initially felt that it was a bit on the "young" side for me, but my teenage son quickly put that into perspective: "Dad, think of it as a Nissan Alzheimer and you'll be all set!"
    thought I read in that article that you were only 47 - I got you by 5 years. Clever your son, a Nissan "Alzheimer", enjoy it while you can still remember where the garage is.
    In my case, guess I should be trying to find 'Dr. Jack'
  • buzz123buzz123 Member Posts: 35
    Haven't had a chance to check this forum for several months. I was hoping there would be some good news about the transmission issue which I've been struggling with for 8 months now. I tried the foot thing, but unfortunatley, it did not help. Glad it has helped some people out there! Glad alan_s finally got some recognition from Toyota! Better late than never. Hopefully, that'll get Toyota motivated to finally fix this problem! I'd gladly give up a couple of MPG if it meant I could have a smooth ride and not have to worry about getting whiplash every time the transmssion decides to kick in! If they are worried about MPG, maybe they could leave the transmission in "smart mode" when you are in drive and put the transmission in "smooth mode" when you switch out of drive and are in the "pseudo-manual mode"?
  • melbcmelbc Member Posts: 31
    Okay all you rattle helpers....

I have a 2006 Avalon XLS. I have been in a couple of times for rattles in 2 different areas.

#1 Rattle in front window driver side area. Dealership put in new cowl and that helped somewhat but rattle still there. Then put in new tray that should have been installed when cowl installed and now it has gone from very sporadic rattle to 10 times or more an average ride. Sounds like a wood floor creaking. What would you do. Go in the tray direction and put up will creak every few days. Or what? HELP!

#2 rattle is rear parcel shelf area. SIGH! This one is killing me because any bumpy road and I get squeak city. I have had my car in twice for this one also. When Toyota gave up they sent it to a body shop who said it was a bad pinch weld. Body shop said they would have to take out back window to get at it!! Double acck nooooo......... I really do not want to go that route. Especially with this body shop. They were gross. Took it to another body shop who said they don't think it is necessary to take out the window but they will have to look at the situation. What do you think? 2nd body shop said you do not want to take out that back window. It will never be the same. I really don't want to do that.

So what would you do? Any suggestions? I have rented 3 different cars (toyotas expense) and each time I have to do this I can't wait to get back my car. No car I have ever driven compares to it. But this rattle thing is KILLING me.

MelBC
    I believe the new Camry has a "sport" mode that actually makes the transmission more responsive and hold lower gear longer than in "normal" mode. My 92 Camry also had a "power" button which did the same thing. Hopefully, the next Avalon will have that feature.
  • 44394439 Member Posts: 21
    I had a rattle coming from the front area of my Limited that I swear was coming from the windshield. The noise was actually coming from my speaker located on the pillar. I don't know where the speakers are located on your XLS or if you have the JBL Sythesis (sp) system. My dealer placed some insulated tape where the plastic and metal had been rubbing against each other in both the right and left pillar speaker. This dramatically reduced the noise. The dealer stated that the airbags are also located in these pillars and these might be part of the problem also. The next time you hear the noise coming from the front, take your hand and push the speaker in. The noise should go away. Hope this helps w/the front noise. As far as the rear noise, I wouldn't have anyone remove the back window.......crank the stereo I guess and drown out the noise. Good luck.
    melbc:
    Is your rear rattle a tapping sound from the base of the rear windshield on the left hand side?
    If so, I have a fix for you.
  • geoshillgeoshill Member Posts: 27
    My '06 XLS runs great. I put a little block of wood under the throttle foot rest area so I can place my foot up on the throttle pedal as instructed and all goes well.

No rattles, wind noise or other problems so far.
    Yes I have the JBL system. I will definitely try that speaker technique when I go out. It seems to make more noise in the am than the afternoon. I am wondering if it is something expanding or not when it is cooler outside. It didn't seem to make the noise when we were out this afternoon but this morning it was creaking like crazy. Exactly like someone is stepping on a creaky wood floor.

MelBC
    Yes that is the rattle! It stopped for a few days the second time they fixed it. Now it is back!!! It is definately a tapping noise on the left side. What do I do or rather what should I ask Toyota to do. Sigh.

MelBC
    OK, melbc, this ain't pretty so you may want to take these instructions to your Toyota dealer's bodyshop and have them do this.

This took me a long time to isolate, but my metallurgy training from my mechanical engineering days came in handy diagnosing and fixing this.

1. Open trunk.
    2. From outside vehicle, stand at left of vehicle beside the C pillar.
    3. Press and release along the left of rear window frame starting at the bottom left, working your way up the left of the frame.
    4. As you release, you will hear the tap noise. This is to confirm that you have traced the source of the tapping.
    5. Place your right thumb firmly on the top left hand corner of the trunk-lid opening, above the hinge and in the recessed area between the rubber lip of the opening and the flanged outer area. This area is covered by the trunk lid when it is closed.
    6. Repeat Step 3 and 4 with your left hand while keeping pressure in the area described in step5.
    7. If the tapping does not occur or changes, then you have found the source of the problem.
    8. The next step is to slightly change the torsional stress on the panel so that the direction of the forces causing the tapping are changed.
    9. Place the end of a 2x4 cut approx 1 foot long, vertically into the recessed area described in step 5. Note that this area is covered when the trunk lid is closed and is NOT an exposed panel.
    10. Using a hammer, and holding the 2x4 firmly in the area described, sharply impact the opposite end of the 2x4.
    11. Repeat Step 3 and 4.
    12. If the tapping has not gone away or does not require greater pressure to induce, repeat step 9 but move the 2x4 into a slightly different position within the described area. Repeat again if necessary.
    If done properly, the 2x4 will not damage the inner-trunk area as described, but by changing the directional forces being applied to the window frame area, the tap is eliminated.
    13. If the tapping returns due to expansion and contraction caused by temperature change, then do the following:
    14. On the inside of the left hand side of the trunk, remove the plastic clip and pull away the vertical trunk lining. This exposes a vertical inner panel running from the top of the inside of the trunk to the trunk floor. It is NOT the outside panel!!!!
    15. Using the 2x4 and hammer, place the 2x4 horizontally onto the inner metal panel, and impact the opposite side sharply with the hammer. This will also change the torsional forces acting on the top of the trunk frame below the window and should finally get rid of the tapping.

You should never be knocking on any exposed body panels. If you are, then you have misunderstood these instructions!

Please let me know if this resolves your tapping.

I discovered that the rear parcel shelf was a source of multiple rattles, another noise being caused by the wire that lead to the the rear-mounted stop-lamp. There is also a temperature sensor below the shelf. The wires to these devices are "secured" to the top of the inside of the parcel shelf with Scotch tape. In the hot sun, the tape adhesive melts, and the wires come loose and tap against the bare plastic inside of the top of the parcel shelf. This is where I really get mad at Toyota. Scotch tape should not be used to secure cables!!! Chrysler used to do this years ago. There is very little insulation inside the shelf area. Just further evidence of cost-cutting for a few nickels. This is "Kaisen"? Anyway...

These wires are not easy to get to or to secure. I will post instructions to fix this if you need them.

Anybody got the "ball-bearing rolling under the driver's seat" noise yet?
    Thanks Alan. I guess I will take these instructions to the dealer and hopefully they will carry them out! You know how that can be. We are visiting my husband's father in the next month and he is a retired body shop owner. Maybe he will give it a go if they can't figure it out.

Did you ever get to the point where you just hated the process of going to Toyota..explaining your problem....make the appt....lose your car for a day or three....pick up your car...drive on pins and needles to see if the rattle or other problem comes back....IT COMES BACK :mad: :mad:.....and then you have to start the whole process all over again. I am really getting mentally exhausted over the whole thing. I find I have no time for this and I am starting to feel like they think I am some kind of pest. But the rattles are obviously there and they are endeavoring to fix them. I am just worried they will never fix it or what will my car look like by the time they are done?!

I hope this is over soon! I want to be able to relax and enjoy my car...worry free!

Sorry so long.

MelBC
    Unfortunately the Toyota dealers can't do much more than an oil-change, which is why I try to do most of the work myself.

Yes, I got to the point where I hated the process of going to Toyota so much, I got rid of the car!
    I guess one of the upsides of this has been that I have been able to test drive 3 different cars for up to three days, a Volvo, Toyota Matrix, and a Toyota Corolla and each time I get back into my Avalon I can't believe my good luck of owning such a great vehicle. What a difference in power and room. But those RATTLES!

MelBC
    I empathize. I'll help you resolve the rattles if I can. After I fixed rattle #18 I realized that I wasn't going deaf and senile any time soon, and that the rattles were developing faster than I could possibly fix them.

I decided that the Avalon, as nice as it was, what with the rattles and transmission glitches, just wasn't worth the constant aggravation.

I do hope you can get these ones resolved. If Toyota won't help you with the rear rattle, I am sure your father-in-law will.
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    I guess I have poor hearing. I have had my 05 Limited for over one year and 12,000 miles. I am very sensitive to rattles and to date I have not had one. I can't imagine 18 rattles. I guess you just have to be lucky.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Please let us know if you have any success fixing the rattle. I've also had my 05 Limited back to Toyota, oh, 4-5 times for various rattles and, yes, the infamous transmission hesitation. Toyota has worked on a B Pillar rattle, they replaced the steering column for a loud noise ( one I never heard, but the dealership insisted the sound was not normal ), they removed the headliner to get access to the moon roof ( Boy did I love that strong adhesive smell that I had to put up with for weeks ), and then there was yet another visit to have my moon roof re-adjusted. Well after all these visits and days without my car ( Toyota did give me a loaner ) the last rattle -the one that bothered me the most - is back. This means another call to the service director and the Toyota rep for yet another few days without my Avalon. Toyota is slowly wearing me down.

I'm now at a point where I am not confident Toyota truly has a long term fix to address the rattles and the transmission hesitation problem. My hope is that I'm wrong.

I realize that there are many forum members who have not experienced either rattles or the transmission hesitation problem and my guess ( hope ) is that your experience is the norm and reflects the type of quality car that we all expected from Toyota.

Regards:

Dan
  • dandiskdandisk Member Posts: 10
    Regarding rattle, I have the famous INTERMITTENT ones! OK, so the dealer has ordered the steering column yoke to be replaced because I heard a rattle in the steering column...or so I thought. It sounded like a tick tick tick but in a very rapid fashion. So after the dealer said they were going to order the yoke, a few days passed and I heard the noise but the car was stopped. Hmmm. So I turned off the climate control and then the NOISE stopped. :mad: So I haven't heard the noise again, but when it does happen, can I get to the dealer fast enough so that they can hear it???!!!!

I like this car, but the rattles are absurd!
    It really does wear you down doesn't it. I hate going to the dealer. Even though they are all really nice I feel like I am the nut that keeps hearing things. I have to take the service guy for a test drive so they can hear the rattles. Luckily we just have to go around the block. Then the guessing game begins as to when I am actually going to get my car back. It really screws up my week.

Plus I have to tell you guys. We don't pay high 20s or low 30's for this car in Canada. Would you believe we paid over 40 thousand for this loaded XLS. And in the US you have even more options than we do. Don't get me wrong. I still love this car and have adapted by playing my stereo more than usual. But these rattles will have to be dealt with. I have confidence that they will be. From what I have read in Lemon Aid books etc Toyota seems to be good at service. Chrysler on the other hand really let us down which was one of the reasons we changed makers of cars after 27 years! What I can't stand is that it should be so simple!!!!

MelBC
    One has to start questioning whether Toyota has taken a giant leap backwards with the new Avalon. Parcel shelves, roof linings, moonroofs, steering columns welds and doorpanels are hardly new technology. Toyota have manufactured millions upon millions of these and have historically maintained a consistent level of quality control - every car was built to the same standard. That was a bane of Toyota - consistency. Why should a roof lining rattle against the metal roof in this day and age?
    Now we are getting some good Avalons, some bad ones and the mundane parts being affected are the very things that Toyota used to criticize the domestics for - rattles, bad build quality, inconsistent panel gaps. If the new Camry being Toyota's international volume seller and based on the Avalon, has the same problems as the new Avalon, then Toyota are heading for a huge nosedive. I find this interesting, not just as an ex-Avalon owner, but also because I have studied the success of Japanese companies and have seen how long it has taken for the rest of the world to adopt many of their strategies.
    Have we come full circle?
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I hardly think that the 5 or 6 Avalons mentioned on this site out of the 130,000 plus that have been made in the '05-'06 model years constitutes "bad build quality."
    No concern unless ya have to live with the irritation of "rattle rattle rattle, tap tap tap & squeak squeak squeak!!" Fortunately, so far, I have experienced neither a tranny or rattle problem--our 06 Limited is the finest car I've owned! However, I've been there myself and it is totally frustrating. Had a new 1977 Pontiac Bonneville--problem with passenger window--what they found inside was amazing--a piece of 1" X 2" wood that kept the window in the track--finally the wood fell and no longer guided the window up & down--dealer was astounded and called the Pontiac Rep who couldn't believe what he saw! So, nothing surprises me about how cars are built and what's put inside them!! Friend had a new Caddy---had a horrible sound--finally, they found ball bearings rolling up and down inside the frame! So, until ya walk in the other guys shoes be sympathetic to their plight.
    Bob
  • jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    Gee wiz, let's get back to reality! Rattles? What extremely small percentage of Avalon owners experience "rattles"?

If you read this forum, one would think that the Avalon is a crappy peace of junk. I hope that I am not the only owner of a 05 Limited that is entirelysatisfied.

Let's hear from the SATISFIED owners!!!
  • jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    On the other hand, the posts that describe the rattle problem and the responses that suggest a remedy for the problem should not be denegrated. At this level the forum provides a very useful function.

Again, the satisfied owners should make their views visable in this forum.
  • 54gradsteds54gradsteds Member Posts: 102
    I've owned three Toyotas..An '85 Cressida for ten years, a '95 Avalon for eleven..still have it with 171,l00 miles on the clock, and a '96 Camry wagon with 80,000 on its clock. After diligently following posts for the past YEAR on the Avalon site and seeing the constant flow of complaints about rattles, transmission hesitation, lousy navigation system,etc. ad nauseam, I'll be damned if I'll spend my money on that model until Toyota fixes the problems! For the Toyota cheerleading nay-sayers, may I remind you good folks that these problems occurred with the 2005 model and we're still reading about the same damned things in the 2007 model! If Toyota doesn't have SOMEBODY IN CHARGE who can walk into a plant, call the appropriate people in on the carpet and give them the simple ultimatum "These problems stop TODAY or you guys are history!", then perhaps Toyota doesn't really deserve my business or loyalty anymore. The ONLY thing that prevents me from buying an Azera today is the "soft" suspension and a lack of a good navigation system. As soon as both of those shortcomings are addressed, I'll be hot-footing it into a Hyundai dealership with checkbook in hand..
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    It's not just here on the forum that people are upset. Look at the responses of owners at Consumer Reports...not great. And the edmunds site and other car 'owner' response sites list plenty of unhappy owners. I was looking at a new car and took a serious look at the avalon. The transmission action bothered me, and the amount of road noise from expansion strips and gravel/dirt. Plus, the seats weren't great. So I bought a different car. I still keep up on this forum. My guess is, people ain't making this stuff up....
    I'm TOTALLY satisfied with my 06 Limited----I was just saying that folks who have a problem have the same right to express their dissaisfaction as we do our satisfaction. I've said it over and over in this Forum--my Limited is the BEST car I've ever owned--including Caddy's, Lincoln's, Volvo's, Pontiac's and Buicks.
    Bob
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    . . . and I can say the same thing: my '06 Avalon Limited is the best car (in ALL ways) I have ever owned.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Wow, I think it would be naive to believe that some models won't experience some types of problems (even with your 3 previously owned Toyotas). Do you actually own the current version Avalon? By the way, I agree with you. If scares you that much, move on to something else and good luck. Incidentally, I don't beleive these problems are widespread.
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    I'm due to take delivery of a Limited sometime this week and I'm a little nervous about it. The alternative for me would be an ES350 at an increased cost of $5,000. But I'm going to stick with my Avalon decision and hope I join the ranks of all you who have trouble-free cars.

My 2004 ES 330 is my first Toyota product and has been bullet proof, so I expected the Avalon to be just as good. I must say that I'm surprised to read the many discouraging reports about that company. The Lexus was made in Japan, while Avalons are made in Kentucky I believe. I wonder if the problems stem from the Avalon's design or the employees who build it.
  • tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    Pulled out to pass, stomped the accelerator and experienced what's been described here over and over: engine races to the red line while the wheels seem to be totally disengaged from anything resembling power and I get this sickening "I'm not gonna make this" feeling. FINALLY, the engine seemed to be re-introduced to the wheels and the car started to pick up speed.

Sound familiar?

It wasn't familiar to me because this has NEVER happened in my 06 Avalon but this is EXACTLY what happened in the 06 Lincoln Town Car I rented this weekend. (I won't go into the zillion other things about the Lincoln that make it a sad joke when compared to the Avalon I'm driving.)

Thankfully, I'm back home and happily driving my Avalon again.

Just thought everyone might benefit from some PERSPECTIVE on the whole issue of transmission hesitation.

Tom