Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    Jackstacker:

I think I know what is wrong with you car but you have to go through the usual dealership incompetancy first, followed by the Toyota Corporate turf back and forth to the dealership, followed by the regional guy taking a drive with you and not knowing what it is. All happend to me. True story. What a different Toyota Corp. than 10 years ago. The vibration can be a number of things. First try the balance of the tires, then see if the wheels are true and no run out. Then have the bright people check the front rotors. Sometimes when they make them, they cool them too fast and the runout is bad on them. That usually happens at higher speeds, while the former at lower speeds. Again, this all happend to me. If this does not work and the front passenger seat belt and seat still vibrate, I can tell you exactly what it is left. But I will let you check these areas first. You can get back to me if you want.

abfisch
  • Has anyone had a problem with the shelf on the rear seat being warped and with large gaps between it and the actual rear deck. The shelf attaches to the back of the rear seat which moves in and out when the rear seat is reclined. It slides under the rear window deck. The dealer says he is checking with Toyota on weather or not it is a supplier or manufacturer problem. Either way, I believe it is not correctly installed. Charlie
  • fragmirefragmire Posts: 97
    Has anyone checked out the new Avalon page on Toyota.com? The spec shows that VSC is now available for all models (link to specs). The eBrochure page always has the new 06 brochure cover image, though the real thing isn't accessible yet (link to eBrochure)
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    Either there is a mistake on toyota.com or they have detuned the engine for 2006. The specs now show:

Engine 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve Dual VVT-i V6
    268 hp @ 6200 rpm
    248 lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm

Also leasing and finance rates are WAY up for the 2006.
  • angeange Posts: 158
    My dealer replaced a section of dash molding and busted the wheel that controls air flow direction.While working on the dash they also misaligned the navigation door. These two items were excellant before the work started. After aligning the steering wheel air bag I found the plastic cover over the instrunents is etched. Looks like acetone was sprayed on it. I'll have to accept this because I sure don't want the dash dissambled as it will never be the same.

Before any work was done I asked the service manager if he felt confortable in undertaking this job and he assured me this is no problem. I was down this road before and swore I would not ever let a dealer try to fix a new car defect. I am on my 4th trip to get this fixed. Some parts will have to fall off before I ask for warrenty work again. I am not bitter, just not happy as I expected from a Toyota dealer. ange1
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    If you are referring to the HP there is a new formula for determining horsepower which hopefully everyone will use. Toyota is now using it.
  • 5539655396 Posts: 529
    "The xls seats are much better but you lose a lot of nice features."

The seat comments are interesting. Are the complaints primarily about the LTD seats? We tried out an XLS last week and found the seats to be a great fit and very comfortable. Of course, this was on a test drive, but I found nothing to suggest they would be a problem long term. But then, all bodies are different too.
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    I love it. What a terrific no nonsense posting. Ofcourse, the NAV is a big sell that ALL the manufacturers are putting out. What a money maker. Although the AAA membership dues are up this year in NY state anyway, I get it back, and between the maps and a compass, you gotta love the tech to throw away 2K on that NAV system. They would be better giving you a better quality product with FOG lights that are not loose, bolts that are torque correctly, etc.

abfisch
    "by bending the finger-like steel support"

Reminds me of early in my career at a large computer company. An instructor replyed to a comment about 'bending'. He said "We don't bend things. We FORM them." You may want to use that term when suggesting this method to your service manager. :-)
  • 44394439 Posts: 21
    Thank you. Your advice worked perfectly.
  • The seats in the xls are completely different from the ltd. I would not order ldt without trying out the seats, in fact that problem is costing me more money since I'm now going for the lexus gs300 awd.
    "I believe that enough discussion about this could prompt Toyota to do something about it..."

Again, I encourage all who have complaints/problems, to go to planetfeedback.com and sent your feedback directly to the top people at Toyota who can put things in motion. The little guy has no clout, and you are dealing with people 'here and there'. Not a concentrated focus. Much better to all send your input to one guy AT THE TOP who can drive things down. If he gets inundated with complaints, things WILL happen. Try it.
  • evancdsevancds Posts: 7
    Is there a new formula for torque aswell? because it was rated at 260 before i believe.
  • fragmirefragmire Posts: 97
    I tried to use PlanetFeedback, but I kept getting errors at different stages of the process eveyr time I use it. Got pretty frustrated after about 15 tries.
    PLANET FEEDBACK"I tried to use PlanetFeedback, but I kept getting errors at different stages of the process eveyr time I use it. Got pretty frustrated after about 15 tries."

I could get to the site and the message that they are in the midst of a relaunch.
    I did previously get an email from them stating that they would be doing this. I think they are consolidating with other services and expanding. They say PlanetFeedback is just taking a brief siesta while it gears up for an exciting re-launch. They will return shortly.

In the meantime, you can find their mission statement here: http://www.planetfeedback.com/mission.html

To be on their mailing list when the site re-launches, or if you would like to beta test and provide feedback on some of their new services, send an email to: consumer@gmail.com I just did that.

This is a great tool. I have used it in the past.

Jerry
  • What is there to change? Power=Torque*Speed*(Units conversion factor), pretty fundamental stuff. Are there some fudge factors being applied according to some obscure standard?
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Posts: 119
    The Power=Torque*Speed*(Units conversion factor) relationship never changes.

The method of measuring power or torqe vs rpm can change, mainly what accessories are on the engine, is there an exhaust system, water pump attached, power steering pump, etc. Testing standards have been set by SAE, DIN. Maybe there is a new update to some of these standards - I don't know.

Max
  • Thanks Jerry for your observation:

"by bending the finger-like steel support" ... "We don't bend things. We FORM them."

Sure. I just remember watching my service manager and a mechanic raise the drooping left tailpipe by BENDING the supporting piece. But if you want to be more FORMAL, suggest your service manager to FORM, REFORM, CONFORM or DEFORM this support. Whatever works!

havalongavalon ;)
  • By the way mhepple, did you have any better luck yesterday with your service people?

havalongavalon
    "by bending the finger-like steel support" ... "We don't bend things. We FORM them."

Sure. I just remember watching my service manager and a mechanic raise the drooping left tailpipe by BENDING the supporting piece. But if you want to be more FORMAL, suggest your service manager to FORM, REFORM, CONFORM or DEFORM this support. Whatever works!

havalongavalon ;)

Yep, whatever strikes his palette best. Same thing, only different. :-)
    Just don't piss him off, or ask him to do something he thinks is improper, or he may refuse to do anything for you.
  • mikes.mikes. Posts: 335
    "Where is the DVD player located?
    So you cant order one with the 05 Avalon? "

In my system the player is located in the drivers side unit, the screen pops forward and you insert the disk in the top, right behind the screen.

I could have ordered a system from the stealer but they wanted another 500 bucks then I paid.

MikeS
  • roberturobertu Posts: 15
    3putt, you posted "The method of measuring power or torqe vs rpm can change, mainly what accessories are on the engine, is there an exhaust system, water pump attached, power steering pump, etc. Testing standards have been set by SAE, DIN. Maybe there is a new update to some of these standards"

The test method for reporting horsepower & torque were just rewritten by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) and ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers). I've read that the new method will eliminate some fudging that the manufacturers can do. This might explain what happened to the Avalon's apparent loss of rated HP from 280 to 268. My guess is the motor is the same. Too bad. 280 HP had a nice ring to it.

Just for info, Chevrolet's motor for their supercar Corvette LS06 was the first engine re-rated. Chevy actually picked up 5 HP using the new testing method, from 500 HP to 505 HP.

ROBERTU
  • mhepplemhepple Posts: 5
    Thanks for the suggestions. The rep was out, so I figured I would address the exhaust pipe ideas about forming, bending, spindling, stapling when it goes back in for the fog-light replacement.

It did take 30 minutes to pick up the car, though. The cashier had it that I was to be charged for the oil & filter change (had to correct to complimentary.) Then his printer ran out of paper. Then, they had the wrong parking space ticket on the key (or the right space and the wrong key ... not sure which) and it took 10-15 minutes to sort that out.
  • My wife tells me that our new LTD w/ Nav did not dim the nav screen last night while she was driving. Is this something that needs to be set up in the nav menu or is it supposed to be triggered by the headlights coming on?

Anyone else here get really annoyed with the sensitivity of the little joystick on the Nav? I hope Toyota comes out with a TSB and a fix for it. Our dealer representative couldn't even get it to work properly. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • dajabdajab Posts: 35
    > My wife tells me that our new LTD w/ Nav did not dim the nav screen last night
    > while she was driving. Is this something that needs to be set up in the nav menu
    > or is it supposed to be triggered by the headlights coming on?

I had this problem also. Normally, the nav screen SHOULD go dark at night. However, this can be overridden by rotating the dash dimmer knob (on the upper lefthand side of the dash) fully clockwise until it clicks. Your dimmer knob probably is now in the override position. To fix this, turn it slightly counter-clockwise until it clicks. This will keep the dash bright, but still allow the nav screen to change to the dark night view, which is much easier on dark-adjusted eyes. Mine now even goes dark in tunnels and parking garages, and the headlights come on automatically as well.

> Anyone else here get really annoyed with the sensitivity of the little joystick on
    > the Nav?

Yes, me too. I'd really prefer a touch screen, but I figure that it is items like this (and the less luxurious leather) that keep the car's price around $30K instead of the $50K Lexus. I don't really use the joy stick to accurately position the cursor on the map --- only to move to specific buttons on the menu pages.
    A couple of years ago, I asked about an email notification feature for edmunds forums. Other forums, like Yahoo, will send you emails when a new post occurs, or you can get a daily summary. I was told that it was being considered, or being worked on. What is the status? Is there a plan to offer this or not? It sure saves lots of time repeatedly running here to check. Or does Edmunds just want to show that have nore hits on their site? How about it folks, do you want this feature? If so, speak up. It's really neat.
  • alan_salan_s Posts: 356
    I think I've solved the horsepower issue. The clues are on the Canadian Toyota website. The 2005 data shows 280hp and 260lbs/ft torque with an asterisk. The asterisk reads "Premium fuel recommended for optimum performance."
    The 2006 data shows the lower hp and torque ratings without any asterisk or comment on fuel grade. My guess is that the lower ratings are based on using regular grade gas instead of premium. Probably a marketing move by Toyota considering that many people won't consider a car that requires premium, and it also distances the Avalon hp specification down from the 2006 Lexus ES350 which will likely output 280hp on premium, and be promoted as such.
    My experience is that running an engine on a lower grade fuel is false economy. The engine develops less power although the same amount of energy is required to move the vehicle, irrespective of fuel. The difference is that a lower grade fuel has a lower calorific value than a higher grade fuel, so more fuel is used to deliver the same amount of energy required to move the same load. This boils down to more power and better economy on premium and less power and less economy using a low grade gas, so the net gas expenditure difference becomes negligible.
  • Thanks, I'll try the dimmer switch tonight.

I agree on the touch screen and the $15k savings over the Lexus. We were looking at GS300 and Infiniti M35 before finding the Avalon.

We do have to take our Toyota back in to the dealer to fix a squeaky passenger front door. I'll post an update on what they find.
  • angeange Posts: 158
    deaner1; After reading your 7757 posting I started to laugh. I think there are some dealers who dumb like a fox. The Toyota engineers certainly did not design defects into the 2005 Avalon and owners need not accept somebody's incompentence and neglegence. Belive it or not everybody on the assembly line got paid.

I had a close call with laser speed control.I was doing 70 mph on Pa. Turnpike up a long hill and the car ahead had slowed to about 60 mph before Icould go around him. As I turned into the passing lane the transmission suddenly dropped 2-3 gears, rpms jumped to 5000 rpms and the car took off, headed toward guardrails. This caught me by surprise as the manual states the car will gradually return to the set speed.

I reread the laser manual later and going up a hill was not included in do not use list.Maybe listing the areas where it is safe would be a smaller list.
  • maryjmaryj Posts: 53
    Took my 2005 Avalon XLS to dealer this AM. Wanted the door glass rattle fixed. If the window is partially down, it rattles when the door is shut. The mechanic went to other Avalons on the lot and found the same situation when the window is only down an inch or two. So, nothing done. Anyone else with this condition??? :confuse:
    The left fog light was loose. Service person admitted it was definitely loose and he couldn't tighten it like it was but put a couple of washers on the post and snugged it up. I then went into the lot where a new 2006 LTD was setting. The left light was even looser than mine. Repairman had no answer.
    I asked about the transmission feeling like engine was surging when brakes applied. He admitted that nearly everyone is complaining about the transmission and hopes that enough complaints will spur Toyota to do something. Of course, Toyota's answer is that it is getting used to your driving habits.
    Checked on XM radio kit for JBL six-disc radio. Price $299 plus $120 (2 hrs) to install. They had a new number for the kit, PT546-07050.