Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Hmmm...

Now that you bring it up driving my Porsche does feel a bit like making love...

Got a cigarette...??
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    Well, mine does that, too, when I leave my fob in the car and try to lock the doors- beeps and doesn't lock - except for those two times when it malfunctioned. THen I didn't try to lock the doors - I just closed them and when I tried to open them a few seconds later, they were locked. If I had been someplace where I couldn't have gotten my spare fob, and the grandkids had been already in the car, they would have been in serious trouble! So don't put too much faith in the system working as it should EVERY time.
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    Lets see, fast cars and smokes, hmm, short life span but enjoys it.
  • smuooksmuook Member Posts: 35
    EG029-07 Toyota TSB

To enhance shifting performance and smoothness during acceleration, the Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) calibration has been revised. Please use the following procedure to address customer concerns.

2006 – 2007 model year Avalon vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below.
    BEFORE VIN 4T1BK36B#7U243331

TSB EG029-07
  • rewoprewop Member Posts: 35
    Today I had my silver 2005 Avalon windows tinted with Llumar Axcess VLR 30, a speciality film that works with NAV equipped vehicles. It looks just great and I'm very pleased with the workmanship of the installers. Also, I learned something new about my Avalon. During the course of the installation one of the installers asked me to come over to the car and feel the inside of my rear window. I did and it felt pitted and coarse. The installer said it was probably caused by "weld splatters" small bits of super-heated metal that land on the windshield and damage the glass. Most of the imperfections are on the sides of the glass and only a few imperfections are toward the center. Although you can't see the imperfections, you can feel them, but when the tint film is applied its like having a small grain of sand on the window and suddenly they are visible. The installer spent a lot of extra time to minimize the appearance of these imperfections. He said he sees these "weld splatters" on about 1 out of 50 cars and that my car was the worst case he had seen. Lucky me.
  • limiteddriverlimiteddriver Member Posts: 234
    Too bad it doesn't apply to '05 for those with the problem.
  • daprincedaprince Member Posts: 1
    Reading through these messages about locking the car with the keys inside is interesting. I have a 2007 Limited that I will have to watch for this.

I did have a 1990 Toyota Previa in which I locked myself. I was placing a cupholder in the window on the driver door when I apparently tripped the security. The door locks immediately locked and the car started it's honking and lights flashing. Not a great feeling as my husband was at work, my 3 older girls were in school, my car was in the garage and MY BABY was upstairs in his crib sleeping. I tried everything to get out of my car but could not...everytime I tried to open the doors, the car would just start it's honking. Fortunately, I did have a garage door opener in it so I opened the garage door and just kept setting off the alarm until one of my neighbors noticed and tentatively walked up to the car (the van had dark glass and she could not see if someone was in the van or not). When she finally got to where she could see I was in the van, I was able to get her to go into my house and get my keys which she used to unlock my van and get me out! When I contacted Toyota about this, they suggested that I carry a key inside the van in the event this happened again. I wonder what the best option is in the case of this 2007 Limited? Something to think about for sure.
  • 91199119119911 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks Smuook, for the info on the Toyota TSB EG029-07, and, for you nay sayer's, I ask,why would Toyota want to come out with a fix for something that was working normal, the last laugh is on you guy's. Remember, just because you don't have a problem doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Toyota knew they had a problem, but was very secrative with it, they said thing's like..."working Normal" "Operating Normally", "Operating within design specifications" and BLA BLA BLA. My inquisitive nature just wonder's what Toyota's Lawyer's will do during Arbitration next week... to throw the towel in, would be "politically correct".

I enjoy this Forum and commend each of you for your contribution, whether negative or positive.

I'll reply on outcome of Arbitration next week, If I'm allowed to.

For those of you that didn't get a fix for your problem...keep plugging...use pro bono Lawyer's or lemon law approach if your state has such, if not, continually bug NHTSA and the manafacture. Success= perseverance.

Cj
  • pcc49pcc49 Member Posts: 25
    Thanks so much for the tips, Smuook. I had the dealer reprogrammed the ECM per EG029-07 and the difference is night and day! I no longer has the "hesitation" when accelerating from stop! The ironic thing is the local Toyota dealer did not know about this TSB until I gave him the exact EG029-07 number! Then he said many people had complained about the problem and that he is glad the "fix" if finally here! Anyone who has a 2006 Avalon will definitely need this fix which is free. Well done Smuook! How did you find out about fix?
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Good catch smuook! In your research, anything on when Toyota plans tranny TSB for 05 Avy's?

NWBlizzardlink title
    The credit for the find goes to Mike Murrell. He posted it on TundraSolutions and ToyotaNation forums. I happen to frequent this forum also and noticed the information wasn't here... so I posted it because alot of folks have complained about this issue on this forum. It actually doesn't apply to my car.

TundraSolutions keeps a decent database of TSBs and the like, but it's not 100% complete and isn't updated rapidly. Mike found it by getting a 1 day subscription to http://techinfo.toyota.com/

This is the best and most accurate source for tech information about your car... but it's costly for the average Joe. Just a 1 day subscription is $10.

As for the 2005... I know it says 2006/2007... but the question I'd ask the dealer is why WOULDN'T this work for 2005. I have no knowledge of a seperate TSB for 2005.
    My dealer's shop foreman says before the VIN mentioned the computer is different and the reflash won't change anything. If anyone can talk their dealer into an '05 reflash let us all know if it changes anything.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    What is really sad is that we had this same problem with the 2002 V6 Camry. This problem was well documented by James Healy of USA TODAY. I had a customer with this problem and I went back to the service department and pointed out the article on USA TODAY to the service advisor. They were all clueless at the time. What is really amazing is that the service writers and sales personnel are the last to know when things of this nature happen so the consumer is the one that suffers.
    Mackabee
  • partsguypartsguy Member Posts: 2
    They have one for the 05. EG033-07. In addition to adjusting ECM, they replace both exhaust manifolds and oxygen sensors ($2400 on the house). Having done 6/27, will let you know if solves problem.
    Here's the link to the TSB...

link to TSB EG033-07
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the good info!
    I've been trying to get a copy of TSB EG033-07 for 2005 Avy's, on web sites. Do you know where I can pull this up and print out a copy? Thanks in advance for your help.

NWBlizzard
  • ron6ron6 Member Posts: 27
    My 2005 Avalon XLS developed a steering knock within the last month at 34,000 miles. I believe that this is the second time they have fixed something in the steering. Anyway, they are replacing the steering column under warranty. Don't know if this has been a general problem or not.

Thanks for the TSB number for the tranny fix. I notice that it is good for 96 months or 80,000 miles from the in-service date. Although I haven't had the problem yet, I'm holding on to the TSB for the day I do!
  • savedbygracesavedbygrace Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, whew it has been a long time since we posted! Anyway,here is my dilemma. I have an 05 Limited and I have noticed a "lag" in the tranny on rare occassions but nothing too severe, just once in a while the car cannot find the right gear to get up and go for a few seconds. It really does not bother me too much. Should I go ahead and let the dealship know about this and get them to do the "fix" or just wait it out.
    I ask, because I have had bad experiences with ALL of my local dealerships. I won't go into details but I cringe everytime I have to take the car in for something!
    What would you do????
  • savedbygracesavedbygrace Member Posts: 3
    Hi Ron, We had the steering column replaced on our 05 Limited, after we noticed a "ticking" coming from the column. The dealership said this fell under the TSB Toyota put out.
    Well, things were fine for about a month then we noticed that the steering column would audibly "clunk" occassionally while starting a slow turn (like into or out of a parking space) and you can feel the wheel shift fore and aft a little. Took the car back in and the dealership tested it for a day and said "this is normal". :confuse:

Hey it never did this before. Oh boy....I am going to take the car back in and test drive "their" demo Avy and see if there is a difference.
    Just check out your steering as soon as you get your car back.
    Well, people may have different opinions on this. Mine is quite simple. I paid $33k for my car. That's a lot of money. I have a 2007 and I went and got the TSB done. Granted, for the 07, it's just a matter of reflashing the ECM. The computer now just has to relearn my driving pattern. Since I just had it done it may be too early to know if it's a significant effect or not. I didn't have an issues before... but I'd have to say it's very smooth now.
    For the 2005, it's a no brain-er to me... Toyota wouldn't be going to all this trouble to fix under warranty if this wasn't a problem. Albiet it might not bother you, I don't know why you wouldn't want the best performance out of your car since you paid a considerable amount of money for it. The procedure is not very intrusive to your engine. They are basically just putting on new external parts... not opening up the engine head or block. New exhaust manifolds, new O2 sensor, new vacuum switch... the reflashing your ECM. If I had a 2005, I'd get it done immediately, but that's me.
    Oh by the way... when I took the car in, the service representative asked me, "Is this a problem or are you just getting this done?".
    To which I replied, "Does it matter?"
    Bottom line, there is an issue with the tranny, otherwise their wouldn't be a TSB out for it.
    Don't let them talk you out of it if you want it done.
    It's your car.
    It is a Toyota documented problem.
    They are their to satisfy YOU.
    They are getting paid.
    Make them do it. Don't settle for less.
  • sales2010sales2010 Member Posts: 33
    I can not get over that!! That is very scary. I hope Toyota will have a fix pretty soon or they will not be #1 any more.
    I hate to burst your bubble but Toyota used to be no 1. It pains me to say this but FORD has actually passed them in certain vehicles in quality, can you believe that, Old Fix Or Repair Daily passing Toyota, it shows how complacent Toyota has become, OH, did I forget arrogant. Remember the BIG THREE, they did the same thing.
  • mariodmariod Member Posts: 28
    I too had the same problem with my steering on my 2005 Avalon... They fixed it for me under warranty even though i had 41K on that piece of crap!!!

The problem was NOT the steering column it was actually the steering shaft u joints.

I sold my first Toyota (Avalon) and will Never buy another Toyota again!!!

Problems with my Avalon:
    Oil leak
    Trans
    Steering knock
    Alternator replacement...

JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here's a thought, everyone who is on this blog copy and paste all the wonderful comments to an email and send it to toyotacares. I do this ever so often and will most certainly with messages like this. Curious though, if you no longer own a Toyota why are you on this blog.
  • mariodmariod Member Posts: 28
    First off, does the truth hurt?????????

I'm on this blog because I just sold my Avalon and have not had time to remove myself from it....
    Let me ask you something, Why do you care??? (truth hurts)

Second: Why do you email Toyota with all of the positive comments??? You should send them all the negative comments so they work on fixing these issues!!!

They are going down fast!!! GO HONDA!!!
  • avalonmikeavalonmike Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I loved our 05 Avalon XLS but traded it in last weekend after 2 years and 24K miles. After 2 steering column replacements, it started to make the same noise and we decided to move on. They did something to the transmission for the hesitation that seemed to improve it but we were tired of taking it in. The service department was awesome and I'm sure the newer Avalons are great. We bought one of the first ones off the lot and won't make that mistake again.

We ended up buying a Lexus ES350 so Toyota is still in our life. We love it. It has a smaller back seat but the ride, driving, and quietness make up the difference. Good luck with your Avalons!

Michael
    First it was merely a question, not an attack, as was yours. If I got zapped as you did I most certainly would want to move on, not pour salt in the wound. Second, my comment on wonderful comments was something called SARCASM, if you look carefully you will see it in my response. I email toyotacares.com everything negative and tell them to tell corporate to SHAPE UP. Thirdly, don't get ticked at people because Toyota zapped you, I personally have had two Toyotas, a 1999 Camry which was, and is superb and I now own a 2006 (late mdl, as in end of July) Avalon Limited. The car is not perfect as is no vehicle, it has faults but so far no problems as you have had. Once again NEVER buy the first year of any makeover vehicle, something Consumer Reports always stresses. As far as Honda's, I looked at their top of the line Accord with a V6. I found it to be VERY noisy, the Limited is quiet as a mouse. I stopped buying American after getting zapped by Pontiac and other GM cars. My only complaint with Toyota so far is their lack of consumer courtesy and yes, arrogance. after a couple of BAD sales years they too will wise up. Send all the negative responses as do I, perhaps a deluge would have an effect. And last but not least, calm down, It's a car, not life threatening, you sold it, buy another, enjoy the fact we can afford these items. Sorry you got zapped.
    Michael, congratulations and you are right about the rear seat.I actually purchased my Avalon for the back seat, for my Brother In Law who was huge and sister In Law who is 5/10. Boy did he fool me, he passed away without even getting a ride, so I have this huge car that I really don't need for another 3 years and rhen
    I will go Lexus also, GOOD LUCK.
  • avalonmikeavalonmike Member Posts: 8
    I am sorry to hear of your loss JL! The back seat of the Avalon is cavernous! Enjoy your Avalon! It's trade in value is much stronger than other vehicles I have owned. You might be able to trade up sooner than you think and if not it won't be a painful 3 years! You will love the ES350 too.

Michael
    I appreciate the sentiments. To all, stay away from those damn gyms. This guy did everything wrong and seemed fine, his wife talks him into going to the gym to lose weight and thats where they found him, in his car with a heart attack after working out, go figure. He himself would have had a good laugh about this so eat, drink and be merry and avoid gyms at all costs. Michael I always sell my vehicles privately, this one is a year old end of July,I only have 4100 miles on it. No more commutes down to the Trade Center area, I retired the October 18th of the 911 attack, they missed me twice, 1993 & on 911, 2001, I was not going to give them a third chance and unfortunately it will come. Again, enjoy the Lexus.
    Sorry to read of your loss too. I hope the person with the '05 who was getting the transmission TSB work done 6/27 reports on the results so we can all know if "the fix" works.
    Thank you.

It appears that Toyota has screwed up and refuses to admit it, as in Losing Face. Mitsubishi had to deal with it in Japan, the Japanese punished their corporate shenanigans by not buying their cars, all who were hurt by this should follow suit. Write Toyota's corporate, write letters to the editor warning fellow buyers, post it on other blogs. Believe me the bad publicity WILL be addressed, I'm not one who likes to sue but that is an alternative. Even with a discount this is an expensive car, more than what I paid for my house, I know it was a long time ago but we all tend to go down memory lane. NEVER give up............
    Probably a Honda salesman putting down Toyota.
    :P
    Mackabee
    Yes, you're absolutely right, your astuteness amazes me, that is, if you were refering to my post preceding yours. Nice to meet someone who researches prior to speaking as it is so unusual.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's not turn this into something personal. The sarcasm in the last few days isn't moving us anywhere that's productive.
    Hey mack, can you help out this person: gthomp38, "2008 Toyota Avalon" #70, 25 Jun 2007 8:35 pm?
    Pat you are absolutely correct, I apologize for my part in answering sarcasm with sarcasm, I should have simply ignored it, it is a fault I have, I will try to ignore all personal attacks in the future, after all this IS about cars. Thank you for your intervention, I would have certainly continued had you not. Mea Culpa.
    jl, I should be the one to apologize. I did not see your previous posts before posting and can understand your frustration. My apologies.
    :)
    Mackabee
    We're all friends again. Everyone help yourself to the milk and cookies on the table in the corner. :)
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    Hello Everyone,
    I am curious to know if anyone else has experienced a stale odor coming from the air conditioning unit for the first few minutes after start up.
    It is a stale smell, like you would notice from a scaled reservoir of a dehumidifier with old stale water sitting in it. This has been going on for about 3 months now, whether it is in air condo mode or fresh air. I took the car in for its 15,000 mile service last month and they said: Oh, you HAVE to replace the cabin filter at 15,000, which they did, then "forgot" to leave in the trunk for me to inspect. They also shot some perfumey/stinky air freshener chemical into the vent lines. Ugh, THAT smell is gone thank goodness.

Anyway,this did NOT correct the problem, and come to find out according to the manual, the cabin filter CLEANING should be done at 15,000 with replacement at 30,000 unless unnecessarily dirty!
    BTW: I BABY this car, NO dirt roads, don't take it out if there is a threat of rain....no smog...Yeah, I am over the top with taking care of and pampering my car!!!!
    Anybody else experiencing this or have a suggestion as to what this could be.
    Thanks in advance.
    Laura
    Oh BTW posted last week under Savedbygrace (my loggin). I forgot we always used DandL which is my husbands login. Been a while since we have posted to this AWESOME site!
    Hey Pat, WHERE exactly are the cookies???? :blush:
    If you can't see them, you must have been a bad girl. :shades:
    "stale odor: Like maybe dirty gym socks..

Then go to airsept.com and read up on their EED, Electronic Evaporator Dryer...

Otherwise the very best solution is to leave windows slightly open/down each and every night in the garage, or fully open if no house cats....

You undoubtedly have an infestation of the microbes that result in mold and mildew formation. This results from a dank and dark and MOIST area for them to breed. Remove the MOISTURE from the equation and the odor will disappear within a few days.
    Actually I would prefer a Dewars since I'm not driving.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    I have always had success with Lysol. Turn the system on full blast (recirc) and spray a little under the passenger side dash. Then switch the system to fresh air and spray the Lysol into the intake vents near the firewall under the hood. This has always worked for me in other vehicles. Another thing to look for is your drain tube may be blocked trapping the moisture removed from the air in the system. When you park your car after using the air does water drip out from under the car (pass side)? If not the tube is blocked.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Too early in the day, darnitall!
  • tedtnjtedtnj Member Posts: 10
    Toyota Corp. fax sent:

June 29, 2007

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    Torrance, CA 90501

Reference: Toyota Avalon Complaint

Dear Toyota Representative:

This letter is a formal complaint as to the transmission anomalies which I am experiencing with my vehicle. It has about 1,700 miles.

Per the attached letter it was related that I was fortunate that a factory technician was on site Thursday. It was represented that new software would be downloaded and applied to my vehicle that would correct the problem. Unfortunately while I firmly believe the above steps occurred, the anomalies persist and now there is a new anomaly.

To wit, when I slow to a stop the engine RPM declines to 800 then increases to 900+ RPM and finally diminishes to 800 RPM. Rarely, does the engine RPM decline to the “normal” 700~ RPM.

All anomalies, documented herein this letter and the attachment, waste fuel, will lead to premature brake wear and are a safety hazard to the driver and other vehicles. Why is it a safety hazard? Because one must apply the brakes where in other vehicles there is no such urgent need during coasting or deceleration.

Please advise soonest what Toyota will do to correct these anomalies such that the vehicle operates properly?

Enclosed is additional documentation.

Yours truly,

======
    Dealer fax sent:

Reference: Toyota Avalon Limited

Dear Mr.:

This letter is to confirm the two voice mails that I left for you late this afternoon. As I related in my voice mails, the anomalies that I submitted to xxxxxx Wednesday evening (see attached) have been exacerbated as the issues persist and there is now a new issue.

It was related that I was fortunate that a factory technician was on site Thursday. It was represented that new software would be downloaded and applied to my vehicle that would correct the problem. It was further asserted that I would 100% satisfied.

Unfortunately while I firmly believe the above steps occurred, the anomalies persist and now there is a new anomaly.

To wit, when I slow to a stop the engine RPM declines to 800 then increases to 900+ RPM and finally diminishes to 800 RPM. Rarely, does the engine RPM decline to the “normal” 700~ RPM.

All anomalies, documented herein this letter and the attachment, waste fuel, will lead to premature brake wear and are a safety hazard to the driver and other vehicles. Why is it a safety hazard? Because one must apply the brakes where in other vehicles there is no such urgent need during coasting or deceleration.

Please advise soonest what Toyota will do to correct these anomalies such that the vehicle operates properly?

Yours truly,

= = = = = = = = =
    2007 Toyota Avalon Limited

Transmission anomalies
    On a level stretch of road, take the car to 40 mph.
    Then allow the car to coast to a stop.
    At approximately 28 mph, the car’s transmission downshifts (?). At this same time, the RPM climbs and the car surges forward. Then it slows again.
    Again at approximately 20 mph, the car’s transmission downshifts (?). At this same time, the RPM climbs (to 1,200 RPM) and the car surges forward. Then it slows again.
    The increase in RPM uses fuel, which is wasteful to say the least.
    If I am in traffic, I must apply the brakes which causes additional unwanted wear to the brake pads.
    The surge (increase in speed) is hazardous as one must be mindful to control, the speed of the car as the speed does not continue to decline but in fact experiences multiple surges (higher speed) that need to be controlled with the brakes.
    In the last three years, I have rented over sixty different cars, of varying manufactures, and not one has demonstrated this transmission anomaly.
    I believe this is a defect in the transmission control system.
  • bobwileybobwiley Member Posts: 241
    tedtnj: I had an 06 Limited--loaded--every option except the DVD Entetainment System. Sweet ride, crypt quiet, limo room, 31+ mpg at 75 mph---really nice--except for the tranny issue. I sold it--tired of hearing--"there's nothing wrong with it--put you foot on the gas pedal like so etc. I driven for over 50 years and I know how an automatic should work. Before I unloaded the car, i had a procedure that worked. Right before coming to a complete stop, i'd manually shift to 1st and then once moving again shift to drive--worked every time--never had any quirky tranny issues using this procedure. If i didn't manually shift to 1st and came to a "rolling stop" and then stepped on the gas, the rpm's shot to over 3,000 and the car lurched forward. Also, the same issue would occur when trying to merge onto a freeway. Once you let off the gas and then stepped on the gas, the rpm's shot up and then hang on as the car would lurch forward. I wrote to Toyota and the National Highway Transportation Safety Board--nothing. I'm surprised there hasn't been a fatality caused by the quirky tranny. Good luck with your issue, No more wonderful, outstanding, quality built, long lasing and depenable Toyota's for me.
    Bob
  • yotaowneryotaowner Member Posts: 14
    I'm a 06 Avalon Ltd owner. Last Ocotber I posted my near-death experience with this car as I merged onto a major highway in NJ. RPM surge, hesiation, transmission surge...all of which forced me off the road to avoid collision. After this incident I called Toyo in CA and opened complaint file, brought the car in for testing and filed a report with NHSTA (acronym order ??). Toyo tech told me that the car was operating normally and nothing was wrong (sound familiar ??).

Recently became aware of the TSB and called Toyo in CA to find out why I was not contacted about the "fix" . After rambling on that this was not a recall, they urged me to bring back to dealer for another "look". I dropped it off at the dealer informing him of the TSB and my discussion with Toyo central. Service tells me there is no guarantee that the TSB will work. When I questioned this he said "other work" may need to be done. Phone call 1 at 1 day post drop off: "TSB didn't work, need to replace electronic valve body in transmission" "This involves dropping the pan, replacing the valve and running diagnostic". "We need car for another day". Phone call 2 @ 2 days post drop off: "Replacement of the electronic valve didn't work, may need to replace transmission". Phone call 3 to Toyo central: "We need to open new complaint file" I refuse, stating that it is the same problem as before which was never fixed. Phone call 4 from dealer: "Transmission needs to be replaced...sorry"

Here it is in a nutshell: If it smells like, tastes like and feels like crap...then it's crap. So to all of you who have placed wooden blocks under the accelrator or hypothesized about the impact of Newtonian physics on the transmission performance...good luck. I now have my $34,000 car with 21k miles undergoing a transmision transplant, performed by 19 year-old DeVry Tech graduates. I'll be sure to ask for the can of spare nuts and bolts when I pick it up. I only ask that the car run for another 11 miles, that's how far it is to the nearest BMW dealer.

Postnote: To add insult to injury..... They gave me a rental Camry (2007 with a January build date) while my Avalon awaits its transplant. Last night I tried to pass another car and guess what...transmission hesitation. I had to back off due to the delayed response and missed my exit of 287.
    What you are undoubtedly experiencing is Toyota's latest attempt at fixing the safety problems arising from engine compression braking on the front wheels of a FWD or front torque biased AWD vehicle.

Instead of using the DBW system, as was done in previous models/years, to delay the onset of engine torque to give the transaxle time to downshift into a more appropreate gear range for acceleration they, seemingly, are going back to the earlier shift pattern/schedule but raising the engine RPM upon lift-throttle downshifts to prevent a too high level of engine compression braking.