Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• gschultz3gschultz3 Posts: 134
    I have read all of the posts on this forum to learn all I can about my black Avalon LTD. I just have to report that so far I my enthusiasm for purchasing the 2005 Avalon has been growing with ever day. I have not had any problems except for a loose piece of trim which the dealer replaced. The car is performing as I expected:

- Above average acceleration .... no hesitation problems.
    - Acceptable handling at speeds below 80 mph
    - No problems with torque when accelerating rapidly
    - Drivers seat with the cushion fully extended is very comfortable
    - Keyless starting is a must for any future car purchases( my 2nd keyless car)
    - Love the little extras sun shade, LED mirror turn signals, small turning circle, LCD information, rear armrest, pull out door storage, three storage areas,
    - Navigation system LCD under the instrument panel cover ..... can't be touch screen but it is protected from damage and the sun
    - Interior layout, quality and usefulness ..... all covers work well
    - Rear seat size excellent - trunk is adequate
    - Audio above average
    - Interior noise low ....... no mirror wind issues
    - Comfortable ride ....... maybe too comfortable
    - Good in the snow with TC and VSC
    - Manual shift useful (fun)

Things I miss ....... rear camera (added parking sensors), 18" wheels, folding mirrors, fully chromed grill, LED tail lights and HID lens headlights.
  • y_althaniy_althani Posts: 19
    Wish you had turned it black so I could see how my avvy would look with chrome wheels. Don't beleive my Avvy could beat my 350Z AT but I guess I will never know unless I let somebody race me in my Avvy.

hi gschultz3 well that was my intention 2 c how it will look with chrome rims coz im still wating for my black ltd avvy :cry: the thing is I told a frined to do the color tampring but it seems he didnt done much :( y dont you post pics for it so i can c how will it look like :)
  • grozagroza Posts: 89
    "As an ASE master technician and Toyota Master diagnostic technician I don't like "engineers" much. I have very specific reasons such as telling me what they think is wrong and should be done without any actual knowledge of repairs....I have been insulted once too many times by engineers who are incapable of repairing their own vehicle."

If you boys don't stop this bickering right now, your Father is going to stop this car, and he's going to smack both of you!

Groza
  • grozagroza Posts: 89
    "I told a frined to do the color tampring but it seems he didnt done much"

If you boys don't stop this butchering right now, your Father is going to stop this car and smack all of you!

Groza
  • kinzuakinzua Posts: 44
    havalong,
    Do you know if it would be possible to refill to, say 16.5 glls. to avoid resetting the mpg function? Sure would like to know overall fuel economy on a long (4000 mi) trip.
    kinzua :)
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Posts: 192
    Just do it manually. A little hassle to record each fillup, but some of us still do that as an old habit. No more hassle than partially refilling the tank to "fool" the computer. Total miles for trip / total gallons for trip = Average mpg for trip. Not too hard! :)
  • njnynjny Posts: 34
    Greetings,
    Has anyone noticed pronounced wind noise coming from the SunRoof when it is completely closed. Almost feels like a draft but definitely when the sunroof is closed.
    I've got 1800 miles on my Limited and just noticed it today as I drove with the sunroof closed, not raining out and no radio on...
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    It was probably not closed all the way.
    Mackabee
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    We got our first Ltd Black Avalon with Ivory leather today. Beautiful car! Too bad I won't get to see it much since we're trading it out for another color a customer requested. :P Oh well, I'll wait till I hit the lottery to get mine.
    :blush:
    Mackabee
  • kinzua,

I don't know, I haven't ever partially refilled my Avalon's gas tank; I always fill up and enter in a notebook the distance covered and fuel type and amount purchased. For your 4,000 mile trip, I agree with pmcb48's answer. I would fill up just before starting and keep track of all the gas bought, including a top-up when reaching final destination. Then, total miles / total gallons = Average mpg for trip.

havalongavalon
  • y_althaniy_althani Posts: 19
    y dont u take a pic b4 they take it away :) :blush:
    I don't know, I haven't ever partially refilled my Avalon's gas tank; I always fill up and enter in a notebook the distance covered and fuel type and amount purchased. For your 4,000 mile trip, I agree with pmcb48's answer. I would fill up just before starting and keep track of all the gas bought, including a top-up when reaching final destination. Then, total miles / total gallons = Average mpg for trip.

That's exactly what I did before I bought a car with a "Trip" computer. Didn't realize a "Trip" was defined as the distance between refuelings. I'll try the short refill on the trip and report back on the results.
  • Hi gladiator99, aka "havasmartavalon",

Better hurry up and register your smart new handle, before somebody else takes it!

Also here very pleased with our Canadavalon, soon to reach its first 5000 km. All things considered it's a wonderful car, powerful, quiet, roomy, comfortable, dependable, reasonably economical, and has adapted very well to our two different driving styles. A quick and docile learner, in our experience.

I'd just change or improve a few minor things that would make it even better, as discussed in this forum. For example, I think that in Canada, passenger air bag warning lights should come On only when weight is detected but the bag is NOT activated. Say, would you agree to lobby Transport Canada to implement this? Canada had the foresight to pioneer mandatory use of daytime running lights a decade or so ago -- now it seems time to regulate when dashboard warning lights should, and should not, turn ON! ;)

havalongavalon
  • "Didn't realize a "Trip" was defined as the distance between refuelings. I'll try the short refill on the trip and report back on the results."

kinzua,

Good point. Ideally, the fuel economy computation should be resettable at any time, just like the trip odometer. We had some previous discussion on this. It's worth adding to the Wish List of improvements in future Avalons.

Will be curious to hear the result of your short (partial?) refill test. If the fuel economy computer does not reset, does it remain accurate?

havalongavalon
  • loucopitsloucopits Posts: 103
    Interested in what Toyota says, rather than what some owners choose to do...
    I had my 2005 Avalon XL for about two weeks now. I just finished my first detailing job on my car, but there is still a bunch of work left. So far I have:

1) Armor All on vinyl (after I read the

The first thing we will do when our Limited is delivered 5/29/2005 is have our detailing shop do a Teflon wax job. Had that done to our 2000 XLS 5 months ago and road grim still wipes off with plain water. :) :D ;)
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Posts: 119
    The Owner's Manual says:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - --------------------------------------
    Fuel Type:

UNLEADED gasoline, Octane Rating 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, the use of premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - --------------------------------------

I interpret this to mean that the engine has a knock sensor that is used, with the engine computer, to adjust the ignition spark advance as much as possible without pinging. So, the engine will adapt to whatever fuel you use. If you want the max 280 HP performance, you will need to use the top grade fuel. I would guess that fuel mileage also decreases slightly if you use the cheaper gas.

Sure wish they would give us detailed info on power output and fuel mileage with different gas grades, so we could make informed decision. So far I've used only the top grade fuel.

You can find this and lots of other good info at mynewavalon.com.

Max
  • pricecutterpricecutter Posts: 49
    The responses to the hesitation problem can only be described as incredible. Many people, including me, were simply seeking assistance with what they perceived as a problem. Even the author of an article identified such a problem. A few people have been genuinely helpful, indicating possible causes and remedies.

But many have been absolutely incensed that we would dare suggest there was even the slightest possibility of a problem. They have accused us of
    being unreasonable critics of the 2005 Toyota; poor drivers who could solve the problem by improving our driving skills; complainers who don't appreciate the good qualities of the 2005 Avalon, and liars because other people are not experiencing the problem; therefore, we can't possibly be telling the truth.

I'm sure many of us are wondering whether we should ever dare mention in this forum the possibility of any problem with our Toyota Avalons.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    In the '03, regular 87 octane works fine and does not hurt the engine. But, upgrade to 89 octane and gas mileage goes up about 5%, not to mention better performance. This covers the cost of the upgrade fuel here in Georgia. Going to 91 octane produce no meaningful difference beyond 89.

The '05 has a new engine and computer. The '91 octane might make a difference in the new model as more power is available. Everybody would like to know what happens with different octanes so if you have an '05 and want to experiment a little..........try each, post the results.
  • pricecutter,

I'm sure that you are right -- three-fold: in noticing uneven performance in your car; in sensing that forum contributors have been deeply divided on this issue; and also, in expecting greater sympathy from all, for the minority (?) of Avalon owners who have experienced transmission performance problems.

Another type of mechanical trouble has also been reported: as drifting to the right, which is much easier to describe if it happens, though apparently only in some Touring vehicles thus far. If some vehicles are found to be defective in this way, that becomes a fact. Other Avalon owners who haven't had this problem should consider ourselves lucky, and keep both eyes open for evidence of this happening at some time.

The same level of tolerance is needed when a transmission hesitation problem is reported in this forum. Owners who have not noticed this type of problem have no right to contradict those who have.

What has complicated this issue, I think, is the prior history of (much worse?) hesitation in recent Lexus or Camrys, that the Avalon is not supposed to share; and also the lack of clarity about the process by which the "sometimes indecisive" Avalon transmission "learns" and adapts to each driver's style, which itself may or may not be a factor that contributes to hesitation behavior.

I for one read reports about transmission quirks with interest and want to more fully understand how it works and how and when it may malfunction. And, conditions can change! An example: my 16-year-old got a learner's permit today, so the day will soon come when Avalon will also have to learn to cope with a third, brand new driver...

pricecutter, I hope that you and any others with transmission issues will keep updating this forum and the rest of us will continue to show due respect for the genuine troubles and concerns of fellow Avalon owners and prospective owners. On the long run, we all will gain from sharing such sometimes unpleasant but important information.

Best wishes,

havalongavalon