Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    I think it depends on the dealer. I had one on each of my three Yotas. I never had it cut, though.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I suspect that with the advent of thief prevention codes embedded in the key itself the spare wallet, credit card, key became useless.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Not so, the credit card key has a chip embedded into it, that you hold near the ignition switch, while you insert the plastic key and turn, it'll start your car in a pinch.
    Mine doesn't have that AFAIK the "key" was only to get inside the car.

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Hi Laura! Sorry for the late response but I just got back from a week's vacation to visit some of my family in Mexico. Needless to say they (my family) are not internet saavy as we are so I had to go to one of the local malls and find an internet cafe to check my e-mails and that was about it. You have a very positive attitude and seems to me you are also very cheerful. I admire that in a person. Let us know what happens. We will all work together to fix your car.
    Mack
    :shades:
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    Well, I just thought I would give an update on my ongoing issues. I got my car back Monday and so far so good !!! Sixth time's a charm ;)
    The dealership replaced the steering column again and said that the first replacement column must have been defective. The wheel feels nice and tight, no slop and no shifting to and fro, and no loud clunking noises. WHOO HOO !!!!
    Meanwhile, they squirted more fridgy fresh in the air conditioning unit (almost as bad as the musty odor IMHO ) and said to "run the unit in the "refresh" mode as it will clean out the system " . What I believe he meant was not to run in it the recirculation mode, which I rarely use, so THAT problem will most likely persist once the perfumey smell goes away.....
    As for the rattles in the dashboard in the cold weather: They could not duplicate the noise as the weather was warm the two weeks they had the car.....Sooo, I'm stuck with that as my car will be out of original warranty in June and the extended does not cover rattles :cry: I'll just have to keep the radio cranked up like those rapper kids in the winter months.
    And now for the big wind-up: As you have read before in my posts, it's pretty much standard for me that there is "always something" when I get my car back: grease, dings, dripped paint, steering wheel on crooked, brackets left hanging, and on and on.... This time (and I really scrutinize the car when it is returned to me) I got almost all the way home and decided to adjust my side view mirror.... Pushed the button and the whole assembly fell into the dash. Gotta say, I had a chuckle when I saw the expression on the service guys face when I pulled back in 40 minutes after leaving...he paled quite a bit !!! On showing him the problem he said, "well you know, they had to disconnect them from the dash when they worked on your steering column" I said: "Um....okay....I knew that.....but can I have them it reconnected ?" Ah, kinda funny. Well, that's all for now and YES Mack, I believe it's much better to laugh than to cry.
    Best regards to all the great members here !!!!
    Laura
    Hi Mack !!!! Hope you had a WONDERFUL time in Mexico !!!!
    I started a new post about my issues (see above) but I just wanted to send YOU a personal "Howdy, welcome back" note :)
    Best regards to you.
    Laura
  • jlsextonjlsexton Member Posts: 302
    Guess you decided against the Lemon Law and to accept an expensive rattletrap. I would be in jail or court sueing by this time, sorry about your troubles. As far as Mack going to Mexico am I the only one who heard about dozens of Americans being kidnapped or murdered in that lovely country.
  • rpfingstenrpfingsten Member Posts: 154
    Laura... with regard to the rattle in the dash in cold weather, if that's the same thing I'm experiencing, that rattle is actually coming from the sunroof. I live in Louisiana and it dosn't get "cold' here very often, but whenever the temp did drop down into the low 40's or colder, I would notice a rattle sounding like it was coming from the dash area on the passenger side... but then somebody on one of these forums told me it was the sunroof. Sure enough, the next day when I heard the rattle, I put my hand up against the sunroof and applied just alittle upward pressure and behold, the rattle stops... Like you, when I took my car to the dealer, they couldn't "duplicate" the noise. Fortunetly the rattle goes away within 2 or 3 minutes as soon as the interior of the car warms by running your heater...I'm hopeing next winter we have a "cold week" down here so I can leave it with them again before my warranty runs out. That rattle has been my only real dissappointment with this car. Good luck with yours.

Roland
    Hi Jlsexton, If they had not been able to fix the steering column, yes, I would have been forced to go to litigation....steering is important :blush: But I just can't imagine that I would get far with a complaint that my "dash rattles until the interior warms up" , and the air conditioning smells stale and musty on start-up.... I don't know if it would be worth it to persue?????
    Meanwhile, we have taken many fabulous trips to Mexico, traveling the coastline and visiting little towns. Great and gracious people and we never had a problem with crime where we traveled. Then we get off the plane in Detroit and turn on news radio and listen to all the rapes, murders, gang banging, child molesters, robberies, "mayors gone bad" that happened....just in the last 24 hours.....all in our neck of the woods :surprise: I feel safer in Mexico : > )
    Meanwhile, thanks for reply.
    Best regards,
    Laura
    Hi Rpfingsten,
    I have been following those discussions and I have tried pushing up on the sunroof and that did not seem to have any effect. I am kind of glad as there is no way I would feel comfortable with my local dealerships pulling down my headliner !!!! It's a real nail biter just getting my car back from an oil change :)
    Thanks for the reply though and good luck with your issue.
    Laura
    Guess you're correct but one should not have to endure all that happened to you. This was from the State dept who actually softpeddelled it, difference is we publicize our problems. I'll cross my fingers for you, try the sunroof thing.
    Thank you Laura! I'm glad to be back.
    Mack
    :)
    :shades:
    The night before I left the US I was reading a story about the drug cartels waging war against each other in the city that I was going to. The thought of canceling my trip did cross my mind but only momentarily. The border between EL Paso and Juarez Mex, is probably the most dangerous piece of real estate right now. The Mexican government sent 2000 army troops to quell the violence. The day before I left there were three bank robberies. The previous days there were a few murders and muggings, and other crimes. The times I did leave my aunt's house I kept my eyes wide open.
    The reason for my trip was to sprinkle my Mom's ashes in the town she was born in which is about three hours from Juarez. On the way there we were stopped at a check point and it was early in the morning and we had just left a small restaurant after getting some gorditas and burritos. We were all eating when we came to the check point and they just smiled and let us through. :)
    On the way back we stopped at another check point that was manned by soldiers in uniform and with guns and rifles in hand. They ordered us off the vehicle to search it. While waiting for the search to be over I perused the bulletin board they had that said. "Sorry to inconvenience you but this is why we are doing it" and it had an arrow pointing to lots of pictures of people they caught smuggling drugs. The funny thing is they took the pictures of the offenders holding a brick or two of whatever illegal substance they were trying to smuggle. More than likely cocaine.
    Colombia has put a lot of their drug kingpins in jail or they have been killed so the Mexico drug cartels are taking over the distribution of cocaine but only one wants to take control by killing the other off.
    Not a good place to visit right now. The caribbean coast is a different story. Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Cancun are beautiful places to visit and have a great time without having to worry about crime.
    Mack
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Does anyone know whether we need to be "maintaining" the rubber seal around the moonroof to help ensure that it remains waterproof? Mine looks like the rubber is becoming dry. I wouldn't want it to become brittle or start to disintegrate to the point where it might fail as a seal. I'm thinking of using silicone spray on a cloth to wipe the rubber seal. Has anyone done that or received advice from a dealer about maintaining that seal?
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    yes buy from BMW parts Gummypledge works well
    Maintaining it wouldn't hurt but I had my Camry for 7 seven years and never touched it, actually never thought of it as the seal is inside the car. How old is the vehicle ?
  • avvy05avvy05 Member Posts: 10
    I am 2005 Avalon owner with transmission problem. Does anyone know if TSB was issued for 05 model? I called Toyota corporate and they said no, but I am not sure that is correct
    Yes, a TSB was issued. Go to your local dealer and have them do it.
    Mack
    Mack,

Do you happen to know the TSB number I called my dealer and they are not aware of such TSB. It just becoming ridiculous, corporate office has no record of such TSB, when I search for all TSBs for 05 model on NHTSA, nothing comes up!

Transmission hesitation wasn't that bad in the beginning, but now it feels like I drive on a rough road when transmission changes gears.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    EG-033-07 dated in June 20, 2007 - see post 13952
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    ...titled "ECM Calibration: Enhancement to Shifting Performance and Smoothness" for the 2005 Avalon.

In the US, TSB# EG033-07 dated June 20, 2007.

In Canada, TSB# 2792, dated several weeks later.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Thanks for your reply. I have a a 2005 Avalon. The rubber seal is visible on the exterior roof, as well, surrounding the glass moonroof. When the moonroof is open, the exposed area of the rubber seal that is usually not visible looked dry & "chalky" on my car. I happened to hear Pat Goss (Goss' Garage segment on the PBS television show "Motorweek") last weekend, recommending periodic use of silicone spray on the rubber seal areas of convertible tops, such as where the top contacts the side window glass, to prevent leaks as the result of deterioration of the rubber seal.

Thanks, too, to Neil 5's reply re "Gummypledge". If it comes from a BMW dealer, it can't be cheap! But I'll check it out if I can't find a good generic silicone spray at Home Depot that will do the job just as well.
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Hey guys, my 05 has hit 60k miles and in my bi-weekly pressure check I noticed that the wear bars are getting close. So.... New tire time.

I've searched here and found that the Toyo Versado seems like a good tire to go with and will save me a few bucks over Michellin.

Any one have any negatives on the Toyo?

Stay with the 215/55/17 or go with the 235/50 ?

Thanks
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    I bought new mich and it came off rim (dealer) so I went to firestone and they had awesome pricing. Bridgestone turenza for 70.00/each with warranty nice tire
    Thanks for TSB number. I went to the dealer and surprisingly he said the problem is not in my transmission. I have the "check VSC" light on. The dealer performed computer diagnostic test and said the computer points to the error code due to bad ignition coil on #1 cylinder. He said that car vibration may be because of that. Did anyone heard of this problem with 05 Avalon? I only have 45,000 miles and I wonder if this is covered by a powertrain warranty?
    Should be covered under warranty. Your power train is 5 years or 60k miles whichever comes first.
    Mack
    Mack,

The service manager just called me to say that ignition coil on cylinder 1 is not covered by powertrain warranty. Called Toyota corporate and they said that this item is part of the emission system, therefore not covered by the powertrain warranty. It looks like they bend the rules the way they like it
    How about getting a copy of the power train warranty, he could be just blowing you off, do a Yahoo question search also, I've gottten great answers from that source. Not everyone knows everything as in salesman and warranties.
    I wouldn't even think a coil pack would be under the powertrain warranty. It is an electronic part. The 4yr/50K powertrain warranty is a gimmick. The odds of a car blowing its engine or tranny between 36K and 50K is very unlikely. Kind of like Chrysler's unlimited powertrain warranty, another scheme created by the marketing guys to help sell cars. The liabiltity of the manufacturers is very little on these things. It doesn't help the fact that a relatively low mileage car has this problem, maybe a "good will" repair is in order. That is a premature failure IMO.

BTW I thought it was a nice gesture by Mack to look into it for the OP. His source would have no reason to lie to him. The dealer gets paid on warranty work.

If that's the case then it should be covered under the federal emissions warranty which is even longer than the power train warranty.
    Mack
    If that's the case then it should be covered under the federal emissions warranty which is even longer than the power train warranty.
    Mack

Exactly right! Why are they dodging this? Something is goofy, but I hear Toyota dealers are famous for this kind of stuff. I haven't had that problem though, with mine when I had my Tundra. They were very good with me.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    my 05 Av Touring rides on Versado 235/50/17, I paid $400 all inclusive right after the tire came out - which I understand is a good price. Either way the tire has been great, much quieter than the Michelins that came off of it, looks a bit better with the wider tire, creates no difference in the speedo etc., and also doesn't create any clearance issues. Recommended.
    I would take the car to another Toyota dealer or call the 1-800-GO-TOYOTA and open up a case.
    Mack :shades:
    Thanks, Mack. I called Toyota corporate offices again and they said that ignition coil on the cylinder is only covered under emission warranty in some states like California, but not in New York. They said even if I lived in one of those states, that law was adopted after 2005, so I wouldn't be able to benefit from it, since my car was made in 2005.
    I can't go to another dealer now too, since my dealer already charged me $183 deposit for that part.
    First I've ever heard that melarky.....the emissions warranties are FEDERAL, not state to state....so what gives?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    An ignition coil isn't part of the drive train...???!!

Then I suppose nether are the spark plugs....

Does not COMPUTE..!!
    I think they are trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Talk to the general manager of the store, not a service advisor and see what can be done.
    Mack
  • nidalnidal Member Posts: 9
    I have Avy 2006 Limited W/O navigation. is it possible to install new 2008 audio system that comes with bluetooth . Did any body come across such Idea.
    It's cheaper to trade your 06 for an 08. Wiring is probably different so new wire harnesses have to be purchased. Dash trim panels, nav control and nav system replacement parts are very expensive. I priced out a door panel/center console in the dark wood for someone that wanted to replace the light wood and it came to over $3000.00 not including installation.
    Mack
    They do make aftermarket Bluetooth systems that from what I hear work very well.

Exactly. I put a Sony cd player with bluetooth in my 95 Camry Le. Should have seen the look on some people today while I was at a stoplight and talking to my friend. Comes right through the car speakers. I only use it to receive calls as I have to dial from the phone to make calls. It's very basic but it does what I want it to do for me.

Mack
  • sbmansbman Member Posts: 12
    Hi, just replaced the front brakes on my 06 Avalon and still think it takes too much foot pressure to stop the car quickly. I think the newer models have larger disks/calipers. Is that something I should look at replacing?
    What type of pads did you use? There are grabby pads that will stop you easily, but wear fairly quickly, and then there are pads like ceramics, that wear like iron and stop you but with lots of pedal pressure. Putting in different pads may solve your problem. Upgrading to larger brakes is a huge, if not impossible task.
  • mschaflermschafler Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2006 Avalon and would like to add a XM SkyFi radio as I can move the radio from one car to another. I went into a car audio store and asked how much it would cost to install the docking station. The installer told me it required a brain adapter and a wiring harnes to a cost of almost $300.00. Anyone out there have any cheaper suggestions to install this xm skyfi radio?
    -Marc
    cindy@coinet.com
  • bbradford1bbradford1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Avalon in June of 05 and have had constant vibration from the tires through the frame (noise and feel. I have tried Bridgestone Turanza EL 400. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity, Michelin Energy MXV 4 Plus, and Dunlop snow tires. Nothing seems to help. The dealer said it was the struts and I had them replaced. The car just rode rougher. Another diagnosis was a wheel bearing. I had that replaced and the problem remains. All of the tires have been balanced and several times.
    Is there anything else that could be causing the problem. The car now has 95,000 miles and the problem has been around since 24,000.
    Is there anything else that can cause this?
    Tires out of balance.
    Mack
  • joeymonsterjoeymonster Member Posts: 3
    the same thing just happened to me today. check engine light came on. i went to autozone to get a free diagnostic and it points to ignition coil. my 05 avy is at 42k miles. no more warranty. what should i do?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    For anyone interested in emission coverage, here is a copy/paste from the original Emissions/ Warranty document:

For 1995 and newer model year vehicles, emission control and emission related parts are warranted for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use. Specified major emission control components are warranted for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use.

The longer warranty goes with the cat converter, the ECM and one other major item. Not the ignition coils.

And: The neighbor who bought my 2003 XL replaced all ignition coils (one failed) at 100k miles on dealer's advice. So, how long do these things really last, on average? Ideas anyone?
  • joeymonsterjoeymonster Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the reply. how much do you think it would cost for me to get it fixed? i'm gonna call toyota in the morning but...dealers always charge the most for labor/parts. i'm not sure what i should do.