Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• In my opinion I would purchase the fully loaded Avalon Limited for approx. $38k. When purchasing the ES330 you are getting a weaker engine, throttle and transmission issues, and a much higher cost of ownership. All of this for having "Lexus" on the front of the car. Did I mention that it costs $120 for an oil change at your local Lexus dealer, while at Toyota it costs about $28. Of course you may get a nice service area that has a cappucino machine and gourmet snacks, but you have already paid for this "treatment" with your overpriced service appointment. Last but not least I currently own a Lexus, and I am definitely waiting for the new Avalon, it is better than the ES330 and overall costs less with more options. If the new Avalon had a Lexus symbol on it you probably would be spending about $5-$7k more. Test drive both cars and see which one you like best, both cars appeal to the same potential consumer. Good Luck!! I will most likely purchase the Limited in early summer when hopefully some decent discounts will be given off MSRP.
  • mcardlemcardle Posts: 36
    Like you, I am interested in a Limited without laser or nav (just VSC). 2 questions:

- did you get the VSC?

- did they give you any idea about the cars that are going to be coming in, and how they are going to be optioned up? Meaning, anything about how most of the Limiteds are going to have EVERYTHING, and you were lucky to get one like that?

I have heard stories/ rumors that for the first several months it's impossible to get one close to fully loaded, without going all the way. That extra $3,000 for nav and laser doesn't sound worth it to me.
  • What's up with Edmunds website? Of late, it either does not work at all, or is painfully slow. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • sortersorter Posts: 146
    What is the difference between a XLS with JBL and Limited then? HID and Rear Shade?
  • cove148cove148 Posts: 117
    Same here. What I have been doing is going in through "smart shopper" then putting in the model/make, it always works and right now is a lot faster, guess Edmunds is still working the bugs on their upgrade.
  • The Avalon lost me with this redesign. Two things led me to my 2001 Avalon -- a large trunk and the bench seat. While waiting for the 2005 Avalon, I bought a 2004 Deville, which has all the gadgets which the new Avalon has. Guess I'll stick with it. A 14.4 trunk won't handle the golf clubs or friends wheel chair.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    agree. For about the past week it has been painfully slow and almost not worth trying to access items here. I assume that this has something to do with their new "Inside Line"; however, it would be nice if the board hostess would address this for us and give us some indication as to when they think they will have it corrected. Thanks! :)
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Posts: 192
    Also on Limited: "wood"/leather trimmed steering wheel, extendable driver's seat cushion, side mirrors with LED turn signal and pond lights, and sound-insulated windshield.
  • tassotasso Posts: 33
    1. Yes I got the VSC.

2. Yes, they have a blue Limited coming in with VSC (live in snow country South Dakota). The first two are Limiteds with option B (vsc). They only have two on the rooster. Never with options C (dynamic cruise, vsc), option D (vsc, nav) Option E(laser cruise,nav vsc). Out here nav is not useful, but the screens are nice for XM radio display. Simply, I think most will be option B.

I am very excited to get black with ivory. Anyone want a mint 18000 mile LOADED Denali 2003?

On another subject, as a physician in a modest size town (160000) I prefer not to drive a "lexus" etc, it fits the stereotype too much. But I love to be able to say I drive a GM or Toyota when patients make comments about my "BMW" etc. Depends on the image you want to project, and each of us has a certain preference.

• What are the external colors available for the XLS and Limited Models? ( Having trouble getting the E brochure.) Also any idea when Edmunds will be listing the details in their new car section?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    Actually, questions concerning the new Inside Line are being directed to this discussion:

Inside Line Feedback and Questions

Many of the issues pertaining to site speed are being addressed, but as with all upgrades and changes there are always bumps along the way. Please post your comments/questions concerning Inside Line in the above topic.

Thanks for your patience!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Hey Doc-

I don't mean to badger you, but you said you paid $36,692. Is that with tax, title, license, etc.? The "out the door cost"?

The ebrochure shows the MSRP for the Limited at $33,540, and option B at $1,090... $34,630. Did you add on some extra goodies to reach $36+, or just the necessary evils? :)

Thanks. Please let us know how you like it. I'm looking forward to checking one out at the auto show next month.
  • fd1000fd1000 Posts: 47
    I just read the small article that Edmunds has on the new 05 Avalon.

They recite the normal list of what's new, along with prices and what not.

But I was disappointed to read two statements the article made.

The first one was "It's no BMW 5 series, but...", and it goes on to say that the Touring is sporty.

It's no BMW 5 Series huh? Well, how do you know?I do not think that Edmunds has had an opportunity to drive the new Avalon. In fact, hardly anyone has had a chance to drive it, because it was announced to the world not much more than a week ago. And I didn't see them doing test drives at the Detroit Auto Show.

Why is it assumed that because it's a BMW, it is the end all be all of automobiles?

Let's look at a few numbers. The BMW 525i, has an V6 with 225 HP, the Avalon has a V6 with 280 HP. Did I mention that the BMW very easily reaches 50 grand by adding just about any option?

I would like to see a comparison. The Avalon VS the BMW 5 Series. I can hear the laughs now, but wait, why are you laughing? And before everyone goes nuts with the 'BMWs handle so well', I will say that I have read more than one review, stating that the BMW 5 Series did not exactly handle super great. But of course, it's still the best sedan on the planet. Um Hmmmm.

My last point was about Edmunds stating that the Avalon was now 'approaching' the level of luxury that Lexus offers. What exactly does the car need to offer, so that it has 'arrived' at the same level of luxury as a Lexus? Gold plated stereo knobs? How is the Avalon any less luxurious than even the top Lexus?

Oh well, thanks for letting me vent my frustrations!
  • future1future1 Posts: 103
    Oh well, thanks for letting me vent my frustrations!

I am even more frustrated because I don't know which article you are talking about. Got a URL?
  • yankeryanker Posts: 156
    I agree with the comment about BMW's Frankly there is no comparison. A BMW is an overpriced car with no reliability and below average looks. Great museum in Germany but my acquaintances are lavish in their praise of AVALON and critical of BMW's which are a high maintainance yuppy toy. Avalon on is a great car for the road. Reliable as all getout and reasonably priced. We like the bench seat high quality leather and 60000 miles with no trouble except new tires
  • larryt22larryt22 Posts: 125
    I was channel flipping last night and caught the last 3-4 minutes of some news show where they were interviewing some auto media live from the Detroit Auto Show. They were asking the typical questions like what car impressed you most as the NAIAS? One of the guys responded by saying the Avalon. He thought the base XL was the best $26,000 car on the market! With all of the glitter in Detroit, I was pretty excited that someone even noticed the Avalon. I think we had better get in line if we really want one.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Nice to see people passionate about a Toyota.

To add to your exasperation, the BMW 525i is actually powered by the 184 horse 2.5L engine, not the 225 hp 3.0L. I actually see a lot of 525i's, automatics no less. Can imagine that combo hits 60 in anything less than 9 flat.

~alpha
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    I've added that link in the sidebar, plus a link to the Avalon prices paid topic. Those who are purchasing, please post your experiences there.

Thanks!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I don't know if any of you have seen this, but it's a review of the new Avalon. Let me know if the link does not work.

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2005_Toyota_Avalon&a- mp;ReviewID=1718
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Posts: 192
    Yes, this review was previously cited in message #1010 on this string, but thanks for keeping your eyes open!
  • Has anybody any idea what are the color's of the upholstery they will be offering.Thanks
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    According to the brochure I got the interiors are Ivory, light gray and graphite. No mention of which interiors are available with the 9 exterior colors.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Are now at your local dealer. Colors and interior fabrics and leathers are shown.

: )

Mackabee
  • dino01dino01 Posts: 26
    Hi,

Unfortunately I bought a 2005 Camry LE v6 and have notice the "throttle delay".
  • future1future1 Posts: 103
    dino01: Unfortunately I bought a 2005 Camry LE v6 and have notice the "throttle delay".

Right, it's the same infamous transmission (or the software that controls it).

Mackabee: Are now at your local dealer. Colors and interior fabrics and leathers are shown.

My dealer gave me a call today notifying me that they received the brochures. I told him that I am interested in buying, but didn't want to pay MSRP. He told me that it doesn't look like Avalon will be a hit like Prius (for which people lined up 12 months in advance to buy). It looks like I am the only guy in my town (of 200,000 people) making inquiries about Avalon. Lucky me -- maybe I'll get my Limited at the invoice. :-)
  • tassotasso Posts: 33
    You are right. I stand corrected. Sticker is $35692 plus shipping and freight, and I got $1000 off for $34500. But, I went out and asked them, and I can not get a copy of the sticker yet, BUT it also has REMOTE START- I am pumped. That added $500. So $33500, plus, $1100, plus $500 plus SHIPPING AND FREIGHT $600 equals around $36200 and I am paying $34500.

Excited. My one salesman has 6 names on a list interested, none buying yet.

tasso
    Well, I'm glad to hear that. In a couple months I may well be doing the very same thing as you (Limited, VSC and remote start as the only options). By then it may be even a little below MSRP... if this car shakes out the way it should, $35k will be a steal.